The Hunt for a Triple Crown’s Sunday News and Views

KentuckyDerby139

Much like the Lunch Lady, today’s weather made it “extra sloppy” for the Derby horses. (h/t Sports Illustrated)

The big news of the day for all those living in Kentucky, and even a lot of folks from around the country, was the running of the Kentucky Derby, which is annually Louisville’s second-most buzzed day (after April 20th).  The Derby celebrated its 139th birthday today, making it the oldest tradition in the Bluegrass State still legally active (otherwise, you know, making moonshine).  The big winner of the day was Orb, who will now seek to become the first Triple Crown winner in decades after winning the Derby at 5-1 odds.  There have been some good opportunities in recent years, but somehow it always seems to fall through.  Hopefully 2013 will be the year we see it finally come to fruition.

You can re-watch the greatest two minutes in sports below:

Personally, I don’t see what all the fuss is about.  I was at Bourbon & Toulouse getting red beans and sausage.

-After Derby-winner Orb, and trainer Shug McGaughey, the second-biggest winners of the day are the listeners of KSR Radio, as they have the pleasure of knowing that Ryan Lemond now has to go face the Waddy Werewolf, Crystal Lake-style.  My two hopes are that 1) Lemond is okay during his time camping out, and 2) that if he’s not okay, it ends up being as hilarious as possible.  As an almost-victim of some nefarious beast in the woods in Bagdad, I can tell you that he’s not going to have a lot of fun.  But that won’t stop us.

-Nerlens Noel continues to show that he’s one of the greatest people on the planet, escorting Kelly Melton to the Derby and helping him dodge some of the nastier-looking puddles.

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 4.37.59 PM

We’re gonna miss that big galoot next year.

-Rick Pitino didn’t jockey the winning Derby horse.  Rick Pitino didn’t even own the winning horse.  His horse got 17th.  I guess he didn’t know that the race was supposed to last a whole two minutes.  Those headlines and tweets can delete themselves now.

-In some final Derby-related news, Mark Stoops is the man, and I wish I could have somehow gotten in this picture.  I imagine the background music sounded something like this.

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 5.08.40 PM

Good to see Coach out and about, representing Lexington while in the lion’s den.

-In the NBA Playoff world, Will Totten gave us a view of the ex-Cats still playing games this off-season.  On the list are some surprising names.  So far, we got DeAndre Liggins, Daniel Orton, Tayshaun Prince, Keith Bogans, Nazr Mohammed, and Marquis Teague.  Good for them, and they should be glad they don’t have a grumpy Chris Paul to deal with, like Eric Bledsoe.  Just find your safe place, young fella.

-Unfortunately, the fun stuff through the day was brought into sobering contrast with the news of Kentucky safety Asheley Lowry’s car accident in Georgia.  After keeping up with the news all day, it seems like Lowery was by himself in the car, which turned over several times and threw Asheley 100 feet.  The injuries known so far are to the left wrist and hip, along with a gash in his right leg, and an injury to his neck.  Thankfully, Kristen updated us just below with news that Lowery is stable in the ICU, and has no significant head- or brain-injuries.  Fantastic news for an otherwise troublesome story.  Of course BBN is wishing him the best and sending up prayers for a quick, but most of all complete recovery.

That’s all for this evening.  For now, enjoy the rest of the ingredients you have leftover from your mint juleps, talk yourself out of blowing all your winnings in one place, and May the Fourth be with you.  Sorry, I had to get one Star Wars reference in.

Article written by Corey Nichols

28 Comments for The Hunt for a Triple Crown’s Sunday News and Views

1. ThatsExactlyRight
    11:01 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

2. Ben McLemore
    11:08 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

No mention of me and my AAU coach that might prompt an NCAA investigation?

3. Makers Man
    11:28 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

“Personally, I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I was at Bourbon & Toulouse getting red beans and sausage”

Really Corey? The Derby is the second greatest tradition in the history of sports. If you can’t at least respect it, then please leave the state. We will be better without you.

4. Mack
    11:32 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

5. Sweet Wm
    11:50 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

Why is the coach and his brother holding the shabby dude up? Are they holding him for the police … he is smoking in non-smoking area.

6. Otis
    12:15 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Cal should buy a horse and call it NIT

7. BOSOX
    12:53 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Otis, while your laughing at your stupid comment about Kentucky being in the NIT down in your mom’s basement, your sister and I are having a great time tonight and I will take her home in the morning after breakfast!!!! It will be along night she’ll be home around 11am, don’t wait up… 😉

8. JBR
    1:13 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Sorry 3…but a tradition, yes…a sport, no…unless you are one of the horses, of course. It is a hugely over-hyped thing…may have been cool 100 years ago…but now, eh. You should try some good cajun food, he was in a better place.

9. Wrong word
    1:14 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

I believe you should change your description of Nerlens Noel to something more fitting/flattering. “Big galoot” is a derogatory term rather than one of endearment. Galoot means “an awkward, clumsy, or foolish person,” which is not fitting for such a great young man.

10. Mashburnem'
    1:30 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

5 Yes they are holding him for the cops. Even with the hat, wig and minus the crown bottle they know that’s Marshall Henderson sneaking in.

11. Pitiful
    1:59 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Corey im normally one of the guys on here who halfway defends you (dont shoot me my fellow KSR comment section peeps) but after MURDERING one of our own football players names after he has been getting press on KSR all day i cant hold it back. Dude its Ashely Lowery. Not “Asheley Lowry”. Just come one man. Please let me write the night post. I promise to at least spell names correctly

12. Pitiful
    2:01 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

And #PrayersForAsh

13. Pitiful
    2:04 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

On* not one. My bad kids and trolls!

14. soggyUKgrad
    2:12 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

To me, being a Kentuckian means having an intimate understanding of the following toast..”Here is to good bourbon, fast horses, beautiful women, and Big Blue Basketball.”…if you disagree, then I am glad we are not friends.

15. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    2:13 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

#2–I am sure the media will be fair,right? I mean it is only the right thing to do expect they would (sarcastic typeset). This mirrors the Camby situation that Cal is crucified for. That said, it will likely be treated much like the Coach K/Corey MGetMineee incident. Something tells me the NCAA is too preoccupied with trying to figure a way to keep themselves from losing their stranglehold on College Football with the recent events of conference movement.

16. holler baller
    5:55 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Track conditions were horrible. No way that horse wins the crown.

17. Not really
    6:56 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

3. Let’s not get carried away.

18. SexnNursinHomes
    7:31 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

kansass is cheating again. kansass cheats by giving coaches money to steer players. Pump bros are pissed that they couldn’t make the money off Mclemore. Got bad high school grades? No worries, come to kansass on the Darrell Arthur scholarship. The Darrrel Arthur scholarship ensures that star basketball players with terrible grades can be fixed so that they can enroll in kansass.

Want your dad to come to college with you? Under the Mario Chalmers scholarship, you can come to kansass with your dad once they hire him. The Mario Chalmers scholarship is renewed each year until your son goes to NBA and then dad can resign from his employment at kansass.

19. John
    8:38 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

KSR: post the comments from Drew Barker found in today’s HL or on Kentucky.com. Just goes to show you that our last coaching regime was clueless. Have you been to any camps lately?? Yes you morons, I was just at yours last week!!!

20. Cotton Mash
    9:33 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Sexn… don’t forget about the Josh Selby scholly.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    9:49 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

20- Yeah, good one. I forgot about the Josh Selby scholarship. Under the Josh Selby scholarship you can accept money from anyone and only receive a 6 game suspension. This scholarship is for only one year due to the high risk involved.

22. This Is It...
    10:04 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

#16…Triple Crown…Who cares?…Can you say exacta baby!!!

23. MTCat
    11:48 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

If Lemond goes to Bagdad looking for the Waddy werewolf, he’ll be half a county away. Maybe that’s the plan, eh?

24. seriously?
    11:51 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

#9-Not knowing the writer, but knowing the general feeling of KSR writers toward Nerlens, I don’t think the term “big galoot” is meant to be derogatory in this context. Rather, more of a term of affection. I refer to my loved ones often as “knuckleheads”, a term of affection towards them. You are right about one thing. Nerlens is a great young man. Some NBA team and community will be getting someone very special.

25. Roland
    12:29 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

short vid interview with Noel and Kelly Melton at the derby.
    Kelly gave his pick.

26. RealCatsFan
    1:59 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

I will never understand why someone somewhere did not give Nerlens some type of public award for citizenship or humanitarian work! We missed a golden opportinty at the Castpy’s. I just can’t believe he doesn’t get more public recognition for what he does. If he played for Pitino this year he would be on GMA! Oh well, I guess the Big Feller (much better term of endearment than “Big Galoot”) will get his reward in a month or so when he is selected as the #1 overall pick. Knowing Nerlens, a lot of that money will be going to help those in need. #ClassOfTheBlueGrass.

27. jaxcats8503
    2:28 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Corey, stop. You’re trying too hard. Your attempts at humor have been way off the mark. Since you’re clearly not going anywhere (to the disappointment of many), do us all a favor and cut the comedy routine. There are already a few legitimately funny KSR bloggers, so we don’t need another poser. Thank you and I hope your overall writing improves.

28. David
    7:42 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

The rights to publish the Nerlens Noel photo have not been secured by this website. Please remove unless you would like to license it from me.