The Greatest Olympian of All Time’s Wednesday News & Views

“The Greatest”

That superlative will always belong to Muhammad Ali, but on Tuesday, Michael Phelps earned the right to borrow it for the day. At the age of 27, Phelps became the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, breaking Larisa Latynina’s record of 18 overall medals with a gold in the Men’s 4×200 Freestyle Relay.

Phelps tied the record earlier in the day with a silver in the Men’s 200 Butterfly, but you wouldn’t know it from his reaction. True to form, Phelps was disgusted that he didn’t get his third straight gold in the event, which would have been a record on its own, and could barely summon a smile on the medal podium. An hour later, in the most appropriate fashion, Phelps anchored the freestyle relay to bring home the gold and cement his place in history.

You could almost feel the relief wash over Phelps as he hit the wall. This is his fourth and last Olympics, and like any aging legend, he has a pack of young pups nipping at his heels. He’s made as many headlines in London for his “failures” as he has his victories. A fourth place finish to Ryan Lochte’s gold in the 400 IM had the sport (and this gal) ready to anoint Lochte its new king, but Phelps wasn’t quite ready to hand over the crown just yet. He’s made no secret that he’s retiring after this Olympics. A natural athlete, Phelps has spent his life in the pool; decades later, it’s not surprising that his fingers, along with his drive, are starting to prune.

Phelps has three chances left to medal and pad that record: the 100M Butterfly, the 4x100M IM Relay, and the 200 IM. After seeing that smile in the pool today, who could possibly cheer against him?

Let’s keep that Olympic fever going with some notes from the day:

Davis shines in Team USA dunkfest

Team USA rolled by Tunisia on Tuesday, 110-63. The game was so lopsided it might have been boring if not for Anthony Davis’ stellar second half. Davis scored 12 points off 5-5 shooting dunking from the field and two free throws, and pulled down three rebounds in what was his most impressive performance so far. All of Davis’ field goals were dunks off lobs, and it seems that Team USA has finally figured out what we knew so well last season: when in doubt, lob it up. Sure, Tunisia is the only team in the Olympics without an NBA player, but that doesn’t mean that Davis’ minutes weren’t valuable. As Fran Fraschilla put it, Davis’ time on the Olympic Team is the rookie’s version of “Grad School” before starting his rookie season, and so far, he’s acing every test. Fraschilla echoed comments from over the weekend that the team has taken Davis under their wing and that the 19-year-old is doing everything right, keeping his mouth shut and ears open.

Hilariously enough, it seems like Davis had a brother from another on the Tunisia bench in Youssef Gaddour:

After the game, Kevin Durant said it best when he said Anthony “just finds a way to get to the basket, just goes hard. He’s so athletic and it’s easy for us to just lob it up there and he’ll go get it. I’m happy for him.” And don’t think for a second that the experience is lost on Davis: “It was fun. I’ve had a fun time out here playing today. These guys have a lot of confidence in me, and so does Coach K. (He) put me in the right time and I was just having a ball.” Go get ’em, AD.

DeAngelo Yancey commits, more on the way?

UK football got some good news and some bad news on Tuesday. First, the good news. DeAngelo Yancey, a 3-star WR from Georgia, gave the Cats a verbal commitment, becoming the 12th member of UK’s recruiting class. Yancey is 6’2″, 200 lbs, and caught 28 passes for 561 yards and seven touchdowns in his junior season. He is the first of what UK feels will be an onslaught of commitments this week, with fellow Georgia WR Rashard Fant expected to follow shortly. In fact, it was Fant who broke the news of Yancey’s commitment via Twitter. Now the bad news. Many thought Florida safety Austin Logan would also commit, but Logan committed to Purdue on Tuesday. Nevertheless, Kentucky’s promising recruiting class is growing, with 11 of 13 commitments ranked as three-star prospects or higher (247sports.com). The class currently ranks 53rd in the country, which doesn’t sound too bad until you realize that’s only 13th best in the SEC, ahead of Arkansas. Woo Pig Sooie!

Rumor has it the (basketball) 2013 recruiting class will be epic

247Sports released their new 2013 Basketball Rankings on Tuesday, and let’s just say, Kentucky’s doing pretty well with at least half of them:
1. Julius Randle
2. Aaron Harrison
3. Andrew Harrison
4. Jabari Parker
5. Kasey Hill (Florida)
6. Aaron Gordon
7. Chris Walker (Florida)
8. Marcus Lee
9. James Young
10. Isaiah Hicks (UNC)

Kentucky is considered to be the Harrison twins’ favorite, with Adam Zagoria telling Larry Vaught he’s heard that the two have already decided on the Cats and are just waiting to announce until September. Even better? Rivals’ Corey Albertson wrote that at the AAU National Championships in Orlando, there were whispers around the gym was that Julius Randle and the Harrison twins may commit to Kentucky together in the coming months. Most analysts feel that Jabari Parker is leaning heavily towards Duke, which may explain the staff’s recent interest in Aaron Gordon, who just listed Kentucky among his top schools. Marcus Lee has received interest from the Cats in recent weeks and even though the Cats may have backed off James Young after a lackluster performance at the Peach Jam, he’s still on the radar and could move up if one of the above decides to go elsewhere. And don’t forget Xavier Rathan-Mayes, who will narrow his list of schools to ten on Wednesday, which may not seem like a big move until you consider that he currently has almost thirty schools on his list. Expect the Cats to be near the top.

Even if Cal only rakes in the top three, it will be an epic class. Again, I ask: has there been a better time to be a Kentucky fan?

Sweet Sixteen Final moves to Sunday

Heads up for you high school basketball fans out there: next year, the Boys Sweet 16 Championship Game will be played on a Sunday, not Saturday night. The semi-finals will take place Saturday night. This will mark the first time in over 50 years that the semifinals and the finals will not be played on the same day. The opening and quarterfinal rounds will remain on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as in previous years. Why the change? KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett said that UK requested the change in the event that they’ll play at home on Saturday, March 9th. Just another casualty of the SEC scheduling issues happening in Birmingham.

Cal: Goodwin and Poythress the only sure starters, Harrow off the bench

Andy Katz’s daily chat with Cal 3-point shot column on Tuesday included a tidbit from Cal about next year’s starting lineup, which he says only contains freshmen Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress at this point. That’s right: Cal said that point guard Ryan Harrow, who spent a year learning Cal’s system during practice, may come off the bench, along with senior transfer Julius Mays. Now, that could be “Calspeak” for “Work harder, Ryan Harrow,” or maybe Cal’s just having a lot of fun tinkering with his lineup, which Katz mentioned may include both Willie Cauley-Stein and Nerlens Noel at the same time. Don’t strain yourself analyzing his comments too much, Andy Katz will probably post something else about it tomorrow.

That’ll do for now. The boys will be LIVE from Farm Boy Restaurant in Morgantown in the morning. See you then.

41 Comments for The Greatest Olympian of All Time’s Wednesday News & Views

1. Dr. Funke
    11:47 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Sorry but Phelps isn’t the greatest olympian of all time, in swimming they hand out medals like their candy.

2. Halfcourtshots
    11:49 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

He did not say that harrow would be coming off the bench. He said could. Big difference.

3. MatanzasCat
    12:02 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

No Way!! The Greatest of All Time does not shave his chest hair.

4. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    12:20 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

lol why would they “back off” young after one bad tournament?

5. old_school
    12:46 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Did Cal really give Drake a championship ring? Honestly?

For what?

Oh – so UK can be cool to the kids?

Who ever thought that Kentucky would one day be so desperate for recognition that we would sell ourselves so cheaply?

Rebranding you say? When you’ve got a good brand – you don’t ever have to rebrand.

Cal has turned UK into merely the latest fad. We’re the Pokemon of 2012. We’re just the latest version of the mood ring, the pet rock, the rubic’s cube and the Michael Jackson red leather jacket.

In a short time – people will point fingers at Kentucky and laugh.

I’ll simply sigh, lean back and say – I told you so.

But then I’ll be there to retrieve the Kentucky gear I’ve put away in shame for the time being. I’ll gladly don the hat and be there for the program when they really need me, and when they once again treat everyday fans better than some distant rapper who couldn’t find his way to Crab Orchard with a diamond-studded GPS in his white-on-white Bentley.

But don’t worry Cat fans. We gonna be sick this year. Boatload of freshmen coming in for the next 8 months. Cal’s softened the schedule to protect this ‘non-traditional’ program from any embarassing or ego-bruising losses.

Rupp would be ashamed.

What’s that? Who’s Rupp?

Oh – he’s the guy who built this program. I’m not sure if he ever tossed out rings to guys like Bing Crosby or to the horn section of Glenn Miller’s band – but he built a reputation on winning basketball and it served Kentucky well for the better part of the century.

I’m not sure Rupp had swag, or if Wah Wah or Alex threw up the three-goggles. They must have been boring on their way to two straight national titles and an Olympic Gold Medal.

Then came Hall. He was known as being the antithesis of swagger. He was all business – as was his troops like Macy, Givens, Lee,Phillips, Robey and others. But – they too got a banner, wore Kentucky proudly across their chest for several seasons and was quite possibly the most complete team ever.

Tubby Smith didn’t go for swagger – and that was the death of him to many UK fans. Apparantly he wasn’t hip enough to get the young kids to come to Kentucky. Sure – they won a lot of games under Smith – he consistnetly had Kentucky among the top teams and even won a banner himself and put together some other great teams. However, he couldn’t get Snoop Dog to wear a Kentucky hat. Shame on him.

Now we’ve got Cal. He’s the showman! He’s convinced UK fans that draft night is the most important event in Kentucky basketball history. He’s convinced fans that stopping a 40-year-old rivalry against Indiana is justified. He’s sold UK fans on a watered-down home schedule and in the same season, the university hikes ticket prices. I’ll say this for ol’ Cal – he’s one smooth huckster! Or maybe you Cal fans are just the most gullible suckers in history.

See ya at the game in a few years. I’ll be the guy cheering with the UK shirt on, rooting on the team because of the name on the front of the jersey, and I’ll be paying more attention to the action on the court, rather than scanning the front row seats to see if I can find Ashley “pro choice except for coal” Judd or Ice-Jay-Sheezy-Rapper in da’ house!

Word to your mother!

6. BPsycho
    1:04 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

You’re delusional man lol Should take the “we’re” out of all that. Reading that post out loud in a Dennis Miller voice is the only way I could get through it. It’s your opinion tho so have at it buddy. You’re one of my favorite peoples, honestly.

7. snarkster
    1:14 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

I won’t say Wiggins is a lock to be in UK’s 2013 class and I won’t say James Young is a lock either. But I will sat its a lock that at least one of them is a Cat come the 2013-14 season.

8. BBN
    1:45 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

5) Damn dude tell us how you really feel haha

9. duh
    2:16 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey#5, Winning the National Championship really sucked this year didn’t it?…I’m like you, give me one of those Tubby Smith 20-11 teams (lose out in the second round of the NCAA tournament because we are the #9 seed and have to play the #1 seed)…I really liked that much better. I also miss the 2009 season…loved losing to Notre Dame in the NIT…but at least we had no swagger…Give me a break…the shirt you’re wearing is red and has either an ugly ass cardinal bird or a great big “I” (for Indiana) on it…You aren’t fooling anyone.

10. Gossie21
    2:21 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

5. Good try. Enjoy #8 and more to come.

11. matt
    2:23 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

5-Still doesn’t have a high def TV, drives an 84 buick skylark, has shag carpet, and wood wall panels in his house.

12. mocha
    2:52 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

1 – you don’t get medals handed out like candy in the Olympics.
    Also, your use of their was not correct….read a book.
    Let me help you…..”they’re”

13. WestWorld
    5:43 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Now there’s a line you don’t read everyday. “The boys will be LIVE from Farm Boy Restaurant in Morgantown in the morning”

14. SexnNursinHomes
    6:47 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

5- old_troll not bad. You’re getting better at this. I’m impressed.

15. Damien Sandow
    6:55 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Allow me to beg your indulgence. My name is Damien Sandow. I am the intellectual savior to the masses. The majority of the people who live in the hick towns Matt is visiting are beneath me. Matt will be pandering to the lowest common denominator. You know, ignoramuses like yourselves. I am here to save you from all these hicks. You’re welcome.

16. bleedblueky
    7:17 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

I thought Matt said today’s radio show would be held at Bowling Green but not Morgantown 🙂

17. old-school sux
    7:28 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

old_school, you mean to tell me you put that much thought, time, and effort into writing that. You might need to go get laid or something, you’re such a d-bag and always has been.

18. tuxedo park
    7:30 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal has coached UK to an elite eight, final four, and then a national championship. If he keeps it up he could give a ring to freaking Justin Bieber for all I care.

19. tombanjo
    7:36 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

“take over the f’n universe” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omt5sq2uVdU

20. old_school
    8:01 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Oh – and one other thing. Yesterday this site posted the question – who else should get a ring.

Well – how bout Kentucky’s own Medal of Honor winner – Dakota Meyers.

Or does he not have the swag? He is not cool enough? And more importantly – do these 17-18 year kids even know who he is or what he did?

21. SexnNursinHomes
    8:06 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

20- Why not a ring for Thing of the Addams Family? I think it would be awesome to see Thing with a big chunk of UK metal on his finger while he slaps Gomez and finger bangs Morticia.

22. Le Douche
    8:19 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Okay so the whole write a sentence and strike through part of it and change tones was funny at first but you guys have worn it out.

23. NewWildcatOrder
    8:21 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

UK hasn’t cooled on Young, he’s simply waiting to see if Wiggins reclassifies or not.

24. smoke and mirrors
    8:28 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Forget it #5. Post anything negative on here about Cal and these “fans” will attack. You can’t have your opinion, unless it aligns with theirs. Same thing on here not to long ago when Billy Clyde came in. Every time he would do something dumb, which was daily, someone would bash him or question him on here. Then POW,here run the “FANS” TO HIS DEFENSE. My God Man, don’t question the coach of UK! I like Cal a lot better than that fool we had before him, but I am sorry, I still don’t trust the guy, never will. I enjoy winning titles also, but not at ANY price. Flame away!

25. JustSayin
    8:45 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

okay #24, how many years before you’ll trust him?(in my eyore voice). and don’t tell me Cal did something wrong with Camby and Rose, there is no evidence there. Year after year after year we have the Thameltoes and Tipton’s and everyone else gunning for Cal’s head and nothing appears. Either Cal is Houdini reincarnated or he is clean. At some point you gotta admit it, don’t you? I guess you can sit there with a pouty face and your arms crossed like a 5 year-old and never admit he’s clean but then you just look ridiculous in the end.

26. Old_skool
    9:03 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

You all should try being negative 24 hours a day. Its awesome. No let downs! Anger and ignorance is the secret for a long fulfilling life. Just ask my wife. She hasnt smiled in 25 years.

27. BPM
    9:19 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Old_School, does this mean you are not going to post on this site anymore until Cal is gone? I sure hope so. Bye-Bye. You will not be missed. Oh, and smoke and mirrors, it is ok to criticize Cal when criticism is warranted, I have no problem with that. However, in light of what has transpired these last 3 years I am not sure there is any critcism that is warranted and doesn’t come off as an agenda driven opinion. There is a huge difference between criticizing a coach who was taking us straight into the toilet, instructing guys to block free throws, and a coach who is currently 21-3 in the posteason with UK.

28. JayCee
    9:22 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Ryan White to Vandy.

Keep telling yourself Vandy isn’t a threat.

top-15 recruiting class right now.

29. old_school sux
    9:22 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

#24 smoke and mirrors, you can question coach Cal all you want but when it’s so assinine, you get called out for it. Everyone has their right to their own opinions and that’s fine but when their stupid and dumb, you get blasted which in old_school’s case, it’s well deserved because well, he’s an idiot.

30. lovecal
    10:15 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

#29 we will win at all cost. katy-bar-the-door, here we come. give rings to everyone. we will do anything to win. AS LONG AS WE WIN #9. Go Cats.

31. smoke and mirrors
    10:37 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Most of you are the same one’s who not so long ago were kissing Billy Clydes ass. God forbide anyone disagree with you, if they do, you have to be a Louisville or indiana fan lurking on here. Cal is a great recruiter, decent coach, good motivator, I will give him credit for that.I don’t know how long before I trust his methods. Not a Cal hater here, a UK lover for sure, just don’t agree with everything Cal does.I hope I am wrong about him, really do hope that. If it turns out me, and several other people are right, it will hurt us all, all UK fans, not just the one’s who will not hold a coaches feet to the fire when you think they are wrong. Thanks god for some of those fans, they showed the true Billy Clyde, the one who abused our kids and made a mockery of Kentucky basketball while a big number on here still supported him. Don’t take my word for it, get Matt to post a few entries from the Billy G years. Very few called him out on here, and the one’s that did “weren’t KY fans anyway”. I always will hold whoever coaches OUR team to a high standard and if I think something looks wrong and smells bad, I am going to call it out. If you don’t like this, you better get Matt or one of the mods to ban me.

32. tyrus
    10:59 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Phelps has one the most medals but to be called the greatest is a long shot. His sport has so many medal events that it gives an athlete the opportunity to win more medals. Greatest shouldn’t be equated to have superior athletic ability than any other Olympian. Speaking of long shot, if skeet and trap shooting had as many medal events, Kim Rhode would tripple what Phelps has won at last Summer Olympics. Phelps greatest Olympic swimmer, probably, but that’s were it stops.

33. John Calipari
    12:14 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

lolz look at all these haterz up on my jock. this is 2 funi for me. i juz lyke recruit da best and they all be all up on me like WHAT. im just tryna do me and win #9 for da boyz back home

34. oldbbn
    12:17 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

31. Amen to HIGH STANDARDS. if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck—- well you know the rest.. Go CATS

35. JustSayin
    1:27 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

#31, be careful. your true colors are showing. You mentioned cal is a ‘decent coach’. The way he molds freshmen, gets his teams to play great defense and play unselfishly and you call him decent. Cmon, you are either a Cal hater or a non-UK fan. Truly, if it walks like a duck. Also, you make it sound like a tiny percentage was fed up with BCG. I went to the SEC tourney in Tampa and got great seats 5 mins before the UK game, which tells you what the fans thought of BCG. Also, I’m chuckling but did you say that the true UK fans showed the true Billy Clyde? How did they do that? Videotape Josh locked in the bathroom? The evidence was on the court and the interpersonal stuff trickled out over time. It was nothing you ‘true’ fans did sir.

36. smoke and mirrors
    3:02 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Big UK fan, not a Cal hater, but will Call him out if I feel he is wrong. If being a true UK fan means putting my head in the sand a kissing his ass no matter what he does like you do, then not that kind of fan. Unlike you, I don’t think Cal is the best thing since pockets on a shirt. Good Coach, Great recruiter and motivator, yes. Will I continue to call him out on here if I think he is wrong, YES.

37. BPM
    3:46 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

I personally have gotten more enjoyment out of Cal being the coach at UK then having pockets on my shirt – though I do love those 4-pocketed Gueverra shirts. Those are pretty great. In any event, there is a legitimate argument that Cal is the best thing since pockets on a shirt.

38. smoke and mirrors
    4:27 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

#37, LOL. Good one!

39. zcg
    4:37 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, maybe it’s just a duck. Doesn’t mean it’s a recruiting violation.

40. Cal for president
    5:54 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

#36 Are you done crying yet. Cal has taken this program from mediocrity to the pentacle. With no violations or scandals. Baring a few newspapers with a agenda there haven’t been any hint of a scandle. So give it a rest Cal is the only Man for this job and has far exceeded the expectations of this fan base (did you ever think this was possible with our fan base). We live in a results based world and Cal has delivered. Hell I think the UKAA should give the man Atleast anther Million a year. He has earned it. He’s made the University a boat load.

41. smoke and mirrors
    8:07 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

No #40, not done yet, not close to being done……….