The Golden State Warriors’ Friday News and Views

I have a confession, friends. I’m all over the Golden State Warriors bandwagon like it’s the only ride in town. Seat’s taken. Can’t sit here.

Like every other basketball fan in America, I have fallen in love with Warriors playoff basketball for a second time. It wasn’t that long ago, 2007, I believe, when we were enamored by eight-seeded Golden State in the NBA Playoffs. Baron Davis and Co. shocked the league with a first round upset of the Dallas Mavericks, the best team in basketball that regular season. That series had a March Madness-like feel to it, thanks to the electric Bay Area crowd — its energy came through the TV and into our living rooms — and the Cinderella story of the underdog taking down the postseason favorite.

This postseason, the Warriors are wowing us yet again, just as they did six years ago, but in a completely different way. The high-flying offense of yesterday is now a hot-shooting offense with the ultimate green light; and they’re hotter than that angel sitting behind the bench, the one who gave birth to the star player. What up, Sonya?

After Wednesday’s night’s win in San Antonio, the franchise’s first since 1997, head coach Mark Jackson said he has the “best shooting backcourt in the history of the game” and challenged everyone to call his bluff. Coach, I wholeheartedly agree and respectfully decline that challenge. The Golden State Warriors, collectively, are the best shooters I’ve ever seen.

This bandwagon, though crowded and full of fresh faces, is one hell of a ride and I’m on board all the way to Miami.

It’s kind of like watching Davidson all over again.

One of the most anticipated recruiting announcements in Kentucky football history is a little over 16 hours away and some folks are confident it goes in UK’s favor, others are not. I won’t bore you with repetitiveness — we’ve been over it a hundred times — so scroll down to read Matt’s post directly below this one for KSR’s final thoughts on Barker Announcement Eve. It explains what we know and what we expect to happen Friday afternoon.

I will say, I will be in attendance at Conner High School when the announcement is made and I can’t fathom the awkwardness if he chooses the Gamecocks. Will fans boo? Surely not, right? Will it just be silent? I’m uncomfortable thinking about it. Hopefully, he picks the Cats and it’s a celebration. I’m ready to give a lot of high-fives in the crowd.

Andrew Wiggins is still uncommitted. He plans to announce his decision before, on, or after May 15.

This has been your Boone’s Butcher Shop Andrew Wiggins Update of the Day. Top quality meats… for less!

Where my Democrats at? Put ya hands up, put ya hands up if you want to see Bill Clinton at the John Calipari Fantasy Camp this summer! Somebody scream!!!

Coach Cal tweeted Thursday afternoon that he is working to get William Jefferson Clinton to Lexington for fantasy camp this summer. Cal made a point to tell us he’s unsure if Clinton will even be available on those dates, but he has extended an invitation to America’s 42nd POTUS and expects Clinton to bring his 2012 National Championship ring if he does attend.

Clinton made sports headlines last season when he celebrated with Louisville after the Big East Championship, so getting him back on the blue side is a must. Louisville fans like to claim him as one of their own and Big Blue Nation can steal him away with a fantasy camp visit, leaving them with Big Black, Jennifer Lawrence, and the cast and crew of A&E’s The First 48 as the only celebrity Card fans. Make it happen, Coach Cal.

In NFL news, Larry Warford and the Detroit Lions have agreed on a deal, making Warford the highest selection from this year’s draft to sign a contract so far. The terms of the deal weren’t released, but we know Warford will have at least one rookie friend on the team in Martavius Neloms. Neloms also signed a deal with Detroit on Wednesday, he announced via Twitter.

Congrats to the two former Cats.

If you’ve ever enjoyed a Kentucky basketball game, which I assume all of you have, you owe it to yourself to read Mrs. Tyler’s look into the The Committee of UK 101, better know as the guys in blue blazers in Rupp Arena. It’s honestly one of the best pieces we’ve had on the website in a long, long time and I know how hard she worked on it for you. Give it a read.

Do you recognize that guy who accidentally punched his coach in this video? I bet you do…

It’s Ramel Bradley, now sporting a mohawk. He scored a game-high 26 points with six assists in his team’s win in the Israeli Premiere League Playoff.

Smoooooooothhhhh!

#shoutout to former UK Hoops guard Amber Smith. She will join the Lady Vols staff next season as a grad assistant. It seems like just yesterday when Amber was screaming at us during Big Blue Madness. I always loved her passion and enthusiasm for UK and, yes, we can hear you now.

Boogie brought out the heater to Whitaker Bank Ballpark Thursday night…

demarcus-pitch

… and it was a strike, right down the middle. DeMarcus heads out tomorrow but will be back in Kentucky in early June.

One final piece of news before we part ways, Kentucky safety Ashely Lowery is no longer in the hospital and finally home in Cleveland, Ga. Big Blue Nation can’t wait to see him on the football field this fall.

That’ll do it for now.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

52 Comments for The Golden State Warriors’ Friday News and Views

1. Spenser
    11:14 pm May 9, 2013 Permalink

I agree that the piece earlier was real good, but I have been wondering about the connotation that certain names carry on this site now. Particular writers get a lot of grief for their writing while others are praised (deservedly so). However, I would like to see KSR begin hiding who writes certain pieces (not every single one) and let those of us in the comments section guess its author. I know this is a news site and that wouldn’t be very professional, but I am curious if people just see certain names in the by-line and go, “Well, this is going to suck.”

2. lexslamman
    11:29 pm May 9, 2013 Permalink

Even though Democrats outnumber Republicans by a large number, good luck finding them on this blog.

3. CAUKFAN
    11:31 pm May 9, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s love for our slimiest President has me worried. He needs to be more careful of the company he keeps and the lessons that company teaches our players.

4. meowmeow
    11:38 pm May 9, 2013 Permalink

3… shuuuut uuuuup

5. Sweet Wm
    11:53 pm May 9, 2013 Permalink

The slick one….a self admitted felon.

6. 44 Stitches
    12:02 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Count me in on the Warriors bandwagon. I will say Chris Mullin is one of my all time favorite players. The Warriors were fun to watch when it was RUN TMC. Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin.

7. TT's Fake Boobs and Rat Face
    12:12 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

#3 go flush your head down the toilet….this country was golden under Bill Clinton’s leadership…surplus of jobs, no budget deficit instead a budget surplus etc etc. He made mistakes in his PRIVATE life that were not any of our business. I would love to have Bill Clinton back as president.

8. TT's Fake Boobs and Rat Face
    12:15 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

If I were to caption the Golden State photo it would go something like this: “Wonder twins power activate, shape of a…..”

9. SeaCat
    12:25 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Stock markets matter…
    Presidents don’t!
    Just sayin…

10. Austin
    12:49 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

My friends and I ran a blog for a little bit during Cousins year with the Cats and got into about a dozen games. After the Miami Ohio game he was wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates hat. Someone, it might have been Tipton but I am not sure, asked if he was wearing the hat because of Calipari being from the Pittsburgh area. Cousins said he just liked baseball hats, but he also said that he should have played baseball, because they made the most money. It got a pretty good laugh at the time.

Here is the interview. We don’t run the site anymore, so I am not trying to get people over there. Just thought of that when I saw him throwing out the first pitch.

11. Did you know?
    1:06 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

That 40% of trolls are actually UK fans giving you a reality check based on their conscious.

12. Dee W.
    1:10 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

#7 – You don’t get disbarred by the U.S. Supreme Court, be forced to surrender your law license, get held in contempt of Federal Court and fined, among many other things, for merely making mistakes in your “private” life.

13. Rodney
    1:27 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Cool it Dee W this is not a political website

14. Kev
    1:57 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Forums say Wiggins to UK by Mon/Tues

15. Laker Cat 18
    2:31 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Who’s responsible for uploading the podcasts? I’ve been checking for two days trying to find the May 8th podcast. Any luck on getting that added?

16. Simon
    3:59 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Ramel – Still smoothzy after all these years. Bet that coach’s glad he’s not named Bogut. Hope you come back to KY sometime soon.

17. Holy Toledo
    4:01 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Louisville claims cast and crew of A&E’s The First 48. Now that’s funny.

18. Ridge Runner
    4:59 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Yes, Ms T’s article was very good Drew. Speaking of “Drews”… Mr. Barker, Big Blue Nation is waiting and you can take center stage.

10, thx -good read.

19. Bill Our Women Want You
    5:40 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Clinton is a natural Kentucky fan. After all, UK girls and women are best know for dropping their pants for any man who enters a room. Bill has his nose up every skirt he can find. So Bill our girls have plenty to offer, come one down and take your pick (s). Bring your cigars.

20. kes
    7:05 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

12. the record speaks for itself. he was still the best president in this generation

21. Moms Day
    7:10 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

“If it was my choice, I’d say he should go to Louisville,” said Lesley Thomas, who has been Wiggins’ host mom in West Virginia since he enrolled at Huntington Prep. “Yes, I would have, because I love Coach Pitino’s program.”

22. sheep
    7:30 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Dems and Repubs alike , their criticisms of the other party and its members are laughable , this country has some serious soul searching to do

23. I. Melvin
    7:35 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather Cal have invited Juanita Broderick. Or Ambassador Stevens.

Look, I really don’t care what Cal’s politics are, but stuff like this is completely unnecessary.

24. Otis
    7:40 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Lincoln gave Gettysburg Address

Clinton got a “Lewinsky” while Yasser Arafat was waiting in the next room

Some of the great moments in presidential history

25. look...
    7:43 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

all politicians serve big business, who controls everything. That said, any average, working person who votes Republican is a first class moron. They get you stupid hicks stirred up about guns and morality, all the while stealing you blind. Why can’t you see it?

26. Aaron C Bunch
    7:52 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

#7, tell me more about how the 90’s tech boom was thanks to Bill Clinton. I didn’t realize he invented the internet. Besides you may want to go back and research how it was Republican and Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich running the economic policies that led to success, bro.

27. Red headed blue blood
    7:53 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

On a map the majority of all votes cast democrat came from the Louisville
    Metro and surrounding areas. The rest of the state not so much. 7- yes I would take Clinton 1,000 over what we have in the big house now- just terrible. By the way if I as a soldier did what the
    President ( Clinton ) did I would have lost my job and spent some time in Leavenworth for conduct unbecoming of an officer and adultery.
    I love Cal as my coach though he has politically Lost his way

28. Yeah
    7:54 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

It’s a diversionary tactic. Get them focused on silly crap while they get even more money. Republicans fall for it every time. You Bud light drinking, NRA guys are killing our country. Quit the mach stuff and get a brain

29. Glasgow fan
    7:54 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope The slim bag never Comes To ky and why the hell would You want him here gezzzzzzzz

30. Red headed blue blood
    7:58 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

25 the repub do serve big business while your beloved dems are rammed up big unions and Hollywood’s ass like a dirty tampon. This is the most dysfunctional our country has been in all my 40 years

31. look....
    8:20 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

30-they aren’t my dems. I dont have a party THEY ALL SUCK YOU STUOPID BASTARD. But, the Republicans are the worst of the bunch.

32. BBB
    8:21 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

You should be ashamed if you want Bill Clinton anywhere. He soiled the Whitehouse. If you post it ….it’s fair for me to comment on it. KSR is part of the liberal media. What a shame. Perhaps I will start a UK site that is fair and balanced. I would stick to UK and leave politics out of it. GO Cats. I say Wiggins comes to UK. Nothing else makes sense.

33. rickshelton
    8:24 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Not excited about Clinton being around children and their young mothers. He had an affair with his office intern. Lied about it to everyone until they had DNA evidence. The CEO of the Fortune 50 company I worked for did the same and he was immediately fired. I have no respect for Clinton or his enablers (including the Mrs.)

34. Jenny Craig Pitino
    8:27 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Clinton is in New York City a lot and went to Georgetown, and loves basketball. That is why he goes to the Big East tourney, not because he is a UL fan.

35. Kidnut
    8:28 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, because no other presidents tagged ladies who weren’t their wife in the white house. These guys were alpha males so don’t fool yourself. I can just imagine Teddy R showing off his big stick to some flapper girls (I know my timeline is off, I just wanted to put Teddy and Flapper Girls together).

36. tuxedo park
    8:31 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

oh, the glory of politics on KSR… We all know that all republicans are the greatest and dems suck. I mean, look at Richie Farmer! The guy is a saint. It’s the democratic machine orchestrating a conspiracy to frame him for stealing vcrs and shooting deer out of a truck! Those deer deserved it, and who NEEDS a vcr?

Now to the important news. i read that Wiggins’ mom is heading down to Huntington ths weekend. So that would tell me that he’s not making a decision until Monday at the earliest. That sucks, I was really hoping he would decide today.

37. Shock The World
    8:35 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

So the whole “Shock The World” tweet!!! I was watching the 30 for 30 Fab Five thing on ESPN, and i hear “Shock The World”… I was going through some Old news about N. Noel and he said “Shock the World”… now.. if Andrew Wiggins wants to Shock the World.. and be like the Fab Five..he comes to……UK…. if he wants to Shock the World like N. Noel he comes to…..UK… I don’t know when he will announce.. but if he comes to UK he will “Shock The World”…but for the BBN we will just WIGGOUT!!!

38. Kidnut
    8:40 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

We joke about the VCRs with Richie but I think the lines are getting blurred a bit. In no way do I think he stole any video equipment. He probably just threw away the old junk, or maybe a predecessor did. They just didn’t retire the assets through proper channels. No one really thinks that a vcr or fax is each valued over $1k dollars this day. It is just funny to add to the lore of Richie Farmer.

39. Ramel
    8:42 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Is that Ramel saving a ball from out-of-bounds on the other team’s side of the court? For Shame! Tubby taught him better than that!

40. Mike
    8:49 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

I have listen and watched to your radio/website. But I am done because I can not take your liberial bullshit.

41. Ronald Reagan
    8:50 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Not only was I the best president of this generation, I’m in the conversation for best president of all-time. A lot of what I did didn’t start truly showing its’ greatness until after I was out of office.

42. blueneck
    9:08 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Why would we want to be associated with a cheater like Slick Willie? That should be Rick’s guy. The thing about Slick Willie is he was a cheater from back in the days of Arkansas. He was the joke of SNL News for his sexual harrassment cases when he was just the governor.

And why is it okay with the media when Hillary is involved with a cover-up scheme like in Libya? If this was a Republican they would be screaming for him to be impeached or to step down. But no such high standards in this case yet we can’t get any true answers. Who is this mysterious authority who denied help to the ambassadors and told military help to stand down?

43. blueneck
    9:13 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

The part about Bill that is most like Rick is that he kept on lying about what he did, even under freaking oath (which would send most people to jail) and only admitted to what we all already knew he was guilty of. Rick only admitted what he did because Karen S was going to the press.

44. Red headed blue blood
    9:27 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

31 STUZoPID is as STUOPID does. You good sir are doing fine with it.

45. 44
    9:34 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

It’s called a typo, dumb shit. Big fingers, tiny virtual keypad. you probably don’t have that problem, with your tiny, girly fingers. Ginger, lol

46. 41...
    9:38 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Reagan was senile joke. In political science circles, they laugh at the guy. There is more to life than guns, abortion, and wrapping yourself in the flag. You fell for the propaganda. clinton, he did some good things. NAFTA killed this country, horrible move. Perot tried to warn us. But, he was a nut…

47. BPM
    9:39 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Will you political people STFU. Republicans and democrats are both tearing this country apart bit by bit. Neither side is worth a damn. We will all be colonized by China in 50 years anyway.

48. Lisa
    10:05 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

So sick of people making everything political in this state. He was a former president, like him or not, it is an honor for him to participate. People need to grow up and get a life. I’m starting to be embarrassed of how we act in this state. It is ridiculous.

49. tuxedo park
    10:06 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

how does my comment get deleted in this pile of dreck?

50. Dumb shit
    10:21 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

45 Big self checking prostate fingers and tiny brain. And never mind a rebuttal
    Because most certainly it will contain something along the lines of go to hell ginger! And everybody knows us gingers dont have souls

51. 50...
    10:24 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

Your name says it all…very aptly named.

52. Austin
    12:58 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

18 Thanks, I appreciate it. I am not sure if it is still like this, but back then they would bring out 4 players to interview. Instead of going around and talking to each one, I just decided to stick around and talk to one player the entire time. You end up seeing that guy get asked the same question numerous times.

I have mentioned this before in the comments section on this site, but Patterson was the most impressive player I encountered. One night after a game in which Magic Johnson was in attendance, I asked him about the difference in the buzz around the program than his first two years. The media relations guy (not Peevy, but the other one) said this was the last question of the night. It was after midnight. He stayed and answered my question as well as he possibly could. He talked for almost 5 minutes, and it was just me left at the end. Everyone else was at their computers trying to type up their stories. It was just awesome that he took the time to answer that question as well as he possibly could. I would have given a brief answer and gotten the heck out of there.

It was a fun year getting to cover the Cats, I really enjoyed it. I started law school and the two other main people on our site switched jobs and had some kids, so it wasn’t really feasible to keep the site going the way we wanted to.

KSR does a great job doing what we wanted to do, so it didn’t hurt too bad to give it up.