The Future of the SEC Becomes Slightly Clearer

One thing is clear about next season in the SEC. Texas A&M and Missouri will be a part of the new conference. But beyond that, many logistical decisions have yet to be announced. However yesterday in, this article in the Kansas City Star, some parts of the process were made slightly more clear. A few highlights:

— Next season the basketball schedule will remain 16 games for at least one year. But then beginning in 2013-2014, it will move to an 18 game season. That of course means at least one less home game for Kentucky and the possibility of a dropped series against a rival (UNC?).

— The basketball schedule will include one game against each of the other conference teams (13 in total) and then two games against traditional rivals. In the story, UK and Florida are used as an example and if I were a betting man, I would assume UK ends up playing Florida, Vandy and Tennessee twice, and every other team once.

— The head of the SEC transition to 14 says that it is unlikely that the league will move to 9 football games. That is good for Kentucky’s bowl prospects for the future and for the continued viability of the UK-UL football series.

New locales for the SEC Tournament are being considered and Kansas City is on the list of possibilities.

— If the conference goes to 16 teams at some point, 4-four team subdivisions may be created for scheduling in football. If that were to happen, the most obvious group for Kentucky would be with Tennessee, Vanderbilt and someone else…possibly South Carolina.

There is more to the article, but those are the highlights. Most interesting to me is the comment that the league is not going to 9 football games. That is the first I have heard of that and is VERY good news for UK’s football prospects long term.

Article written by Matt Jones

25 Comments for The Future of the SEC Becomes Slightly Clearer

1. tdogg4033011
    8:54 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

SEC tourney in Lexington?? why not??

2. ncwildcat
    8:57 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

who cares if we drop UNC – Roy will probably take his players off the floor before the end of the game anyway

3. fb>bb
    8:57 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

So the 4 best teams in the league have to beat each other up twice and all the bad teams only have to play the good teams once. I wish they would apply this in football to where the bad teams didn’t have to play the good teams as often.

4. Argentium
    8:58 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Memo to 3 of the 4 girls in the picture: wear shoes please.

Also Kansas City for the SEC Tournament? WTF?

5. tdogg4033011
    8:59 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

2) lol …. nice one !!!

6. Matt Jones
    8:59 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

#3 They already do…that is why the permanent opponent in the West for UK is Miss State….LSU’s is Florida, Alabama is Tennessee, Auburn is Georgia, etc

7. Huh?
    9:06 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Kansas City? Wtf?? May as well have the damned thing in Richmond, VA

8. Steve Jobs
    9:07 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I can see St. Louis as a host city for the SEC tournament, but KC????, no way!!!

9. GrumpyOldDude
    9:14 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I recalled a very clear, 30-plus-year-ago memory of seeing a young lady flash it all to a crowd of guys on the sidewalk outside in that window with the A/C unit in it…..lol….appreciate the trigger pic.

10. Natedogg
    9:17 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I think they dropped the ball adding MIssouri.

11. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    9:18 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

UNC men dropped one to FSU by 33 points (did Roy walk off before they caught him crying)

UNC women dropped one to Uconn by 51 points (worst in their history)

ncwildcat, could be UNC basketball will want to bypass the cats in general

12. HoboKat
    9:31 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

“two games against traditional rivals. In the story, UK and Florida are used as an example and if I were a betting man, I would assume UK ends up playing Florida, Vandy and Tennessee twice, and every other team once.”

In terms of crowing a conference champion, I dont like this any more than the current setup. Im going to go ahead and assume that UT moves back into an NCAA tournament team after this year. That means that UK’s potential schedule is ridiculous! How can you crown a conference champion when say Old Miss’s road would be considerably easier?

In terms of overall scheduling for UK, I dont mind it as much, but dont really like it. A tougher conference schedule will probably mean that the potential for dropping a home/home against the likes of UNC is much more likely. The the pre-conf half of our schedule is going to look like a soft, overweight, Drew Franklin. I dont want to even picture that snoozefest.

13. NLG
    9:43 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

SEC Tourney should be permanent in Nashville. Yup, I live here, but it’s BY FAR the best location for it. Great venue, tons to do around it, and somewhat centrally located. Keep it in Nashville!

14. KD
    9:55 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Kansas City???? that ain’t even southeast to Gen. Custer. The great thing about Atlanta and Nashville is that so many fans are within an easy drive of the tourney. Birmingham makes sense, Nawlins, of course cuz it’s Nawlins , But Kansas City????…personally I’d rather have the tourney in Denver, we could at least get in a little early spring skiing. Surely this new league and it’s aftermath will be f’d up…cuz they can and they will. ….not a fan of the super conference, just look at the Big Least, what a clusterf. I will say four team subdivision of 16 schools or a five team subdivision of 15 schools could be intrguing, but I’d rather play the NC’s, Mich St, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Louisville games in Bball,and have more flexibility in football. It could get to the point where 3 or 4 wins in football would be a monumental success.

15. Dave in Kabul
    10:00 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I liked Atlanta for the SEC better than Nashville.

I’d like to do one in New Orleans at some point. Won’t make it this year, though. Unfortunately…

I hate the idea of dropping UNC, IU or UL. We should keep those. The ACC is much stronger than the SEC and they aren’t whining about dropping opponents.

What are the strong teams in Basketball in the SEC?

UF most of the time

UT sometimes. Vandy tries ever so hard but it usually over rated by everyone…just like this year.

Auburn once a decade or so.

Missouri is a fairly strong program but not every year.

Texas A&M is decent.

Bama is ok. They’ve been swearing that they’ll be good for decades and it rarely pans out.

Arkansas may start to come back with Anderson over there.

UGa, USC, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are terrible to OK with the occasional hit.

That’s not that terrible of a conference run.

It’s not like facing Duke and Wake Forest every year with Boston College looking to sneak in a take one from ya.

I think pretty much every conference has two to three really good schools with a group of middling wannabees in it and then a subgroup of terribles in there.

What makes UK so special? UNC won’t be great every year. Neither will IU or UL.

I don’t think that we should drop any of those three.

The threat from A&M and Mizzou is being overstatedin my opinion.

16. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:00 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I’d rather have the SEC tourney in Houston or Dallas than KC. Actually I believe Atlanta should be the permanent site. It is centrally located within the conference and has the Georgia Dome.

17. Jimmy Dykes Wannabee
    11:02 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

#3 They don’t hold the SEC Tourney on any members home court. Why not the YUM! Poultry Palace? I believe it’s tennant will always be in Madison Square Garden that week.

18. bung
    11:05 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

drop looavul

19. JPhelps
    11:48 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Tennessee Vandy UK and Mizz makes more sense to me. I’d think USC would fall in the UGA, Florida realm.

20. Jdaws
    2:51 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

1,2,4,3.

21. KFC YUM! Center
    7:23 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

What about me hosting the SEC Tournament? Huh?

22. Need tickets please
    8:04 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, the Sec tourney has to be in Domes. We’re adding 2 more teams in Nashville. Tickets will be a nightmare.

23. ShepherdsvilleKAT
    8:04 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

Wouldn’t it be a 19 game SEC schedule? We would play home & home against Missouri correct?

24. Ben
    8:57 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

We should drop IU, not NC! Put the pressure on IU and only agree to play them 50/50 in Louisville. I like playing NC and it will draw top TV coverage. I could care less about the hoosier’s. Play all three, but make IU squirm! We should always keep our schedule the best in the Country!

25. Zachery
    9:06 am January 17, 2012 Permalink

We drop IU and we give their fans the best ammo they could ask for. Let’s beat them by 20+ next year and then drop them.