The Flat Top Feller Comes to Kentucky

so this is how I choose to celebrate

That sound you hear is the collective celebration from the state of Kentucky as Nerlens Noel made the Flat Top the hair style of choice in the Bluegrass, picking UK tonight. The ESPNU show was unbelievably long, Dave Telep couldn’t handle the new-fangled technology and Tom Crean put us all to sleep, but in the end it was worth it, as Noel picked the Cats. A few notes on the evening:

Nerlens picking UK puts the Cats as the #1 class in America AGAIN, for the fourth time in a row.

John Calipari probably had some folks worried when he talked at the beginning about how UK was not for everyone, etc. But it turns out that message may have been for Shabazz, as Noel ended up deciding it was for him.

— Signs looked bad early as well when Noel said that the main factor in his decision was his mother, who had favored Georgetown for sometime. But he must have convinced her otherwise, as he still found a way to choose the Cats.

— After it was over, Noel said this: “We are coming for a repeat. We are going hard and we are going at it…we are coming for a Championship”

A fun night tonight all the way around. We topped out at 22,700 people on the LIVE BLOG at one time, crushing our all-time record. It was an unexpected victory (always the best kind) and it confirmed that UK is still on top. We wish Shabazz the best at UCLA (he seems like a great kid) and now move on to another season of the Cats in the Top 5. The Calapalooza Bus Tour is tomorrow and we will have coverage here all day.

Article written by Matt Jones

78 Comments for The Flat Top Feller Comes to Kentucky

1. Justin C
    9:10 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

GO CATS!!

2. Ridge Runner
    9:11 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Exactly what the doctor I mean Cal ordered! Flat Top Feller is a BBN member and we are on our waaaayyyyy to 9

3. Ahoyskin
    9:11 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

That photo is amazing! KSR Shop needs a shirt.

4. Big Blue
    9:11 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

He said “University of…” and then paused. Had to be all smiles for BBN after that.

5. atlantacat
    9:11 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Pretty sure if Poythress that made the comment.

6. Floyd the Barber
    9:12 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Everyone knows that if you want to know something just ax the barber. Forget the so-called insiders.

7. Pikeville25
    9:12 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Bazz gave a vervbal to cal and as early as 11 this morning he was coming to uk…the staff are shocked that bazz didnt choose us…

8. nky
    9:13 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

cals dick swings VERY LOW!

9. Mr. Appraiser
    9:14 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Add Oriaki and a juco shooter!

10. Rageincage
    9:14 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

How do you know?

11. Fake Elmo
    9:14 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

here is the link to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbuHf2Mv4HE

12. UK Homer
    9:14 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

If we get Bennett, then where does this class rank versus 2009 and 2011 in terms of hype?

13. etown uk fan
    9:15 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

welcome to bbn Nerlens. Lets go get number 9.

14. Rageincage
    9:15 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

When is Bennett scheduled to decide?

15. UK_JB
    9:16 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Looks like billy ray cyrus… either way happy to get flat top feller son

16. 2020
    9:16 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I knew we were golden when he laughed at JTiii’s and Boeheim’s fake fros and didn’t laugh at Cal’s.

17. Hole
    9:17 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Awesome two weeks…

18. CalifCatFan
    9:18 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Finally, Matt Jones gets a haircut we can all be proud of.

19. gulfbreezefan
    9:19 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

my hair hurts !

20. coco
    9:19 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

everyone unfollow shabazz on twitter!!

21. Billy Donovan
    9:19 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Remember when I was relevant?

22. MistyAnn
    9:20 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Fear The Brow, has now became Fear The ‘Fro! Thanks Noel!We like your style along with what you and the others are gonna mean to this program, where great players are taken to another level, and legends are made!

23. BNolan
    9:20 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

All this talk about Noel………seems like Christmas in the Big Blue Nation tonight!!! Go CATS!!!

24. JIM MIDKIFF
    9:21 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Noel… MERRY CHRISTMAS, KENTUCKY BASKETBALL

25. Hoosier Wild Cat
    9:21 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget BIG WILLY. He will be a big factor for us for the next two or three years. This young man is a MAN and can Ball.

26. WILDCAT44
    9:22 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

We don’t need selfish players. 27 shots to score 35. Why am I talking bout him. Flat Top Feller=Unibrow “EIGHT IS GREAT, NINE IS FINE” I want another 3 shooter. Want Kyle coming off bench. Saw Alex play, ATHLETE/PLAYER

27. BNolan
    9:22 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I am thinking that Bennet is the next to pull the trigger to complete the class. And, we might get one other, like Okari or Amille Jefferson. Talk about a class!!! One could likely say that once again, not only has Coach Cal gone and got the #1 Class. Coach Cal outdid himself each successive year!!! Who else could say this after winning a national championship???

28. 2020
    9:23 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Kudos to Coach Antigua for leading the recruiting effort on Nerlens.

29. Mark Liptak
    9:23 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Remember the signing period isn’t over. Still some very good players on UK’s radar including Anthony Bennett. If Teague stays (and he can use another year) the outlook looks very good for next season.

Regarding Teague I recall the story a few weeks ago in USA Today where Steve Kerr said (paraphrasing) ‘I can’t see any G.M.’s out there right now who look at Teague and say, there’s my point guard…’

Mark Liptak

30. Enes Rhymes With...
    9:23 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I think this means that MKG is gonna come back now. He does love the team, and his position will help us repeat. It only makes sense right?

31. DEVASTATION INC
    9:23 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Welcom Mr. Santa Clause- Merry Xmas. What a cool dude with the UK in the Fro. Welcome Welcome Welcome

32. CantWaitFor#9
    9:23 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Schmucks on 680am in Louisville were saying this was good mid-level get for the Cats and this was a win for Louisville since NN’s offense is weak and he’s no Anthony Davis. Take our #1 recruiting class (again) and…………. #BBNFOREVER

33. Doc
    9:24 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Very excited about next yr, like Archie Goodwin a lot as he bleeds blue. In fact, he is pitching for us big time. still feel if lamb is second round or late first that he can improve his draft stock and be our MVP again next yr. mkg would be perfect as well be he should not come back if top 5. Look for Bennett, Jefferson and or pollard now. I would like to see us give ucla a beat down year so Shabazz can realize uk is the pinnicle of college basketball. ( ucla has a lesser legacy when you break down the numbers)I think he forgets or does not know how much individual sacrifice winning takes. Cal teaches an unselfish game to win

34. Legion
    9:24 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I’m happy to see Nerlens Noel coming to UK and I wish the best to Shabazz at UCLA. He seems like a good kid and I just hope that the stories we read about the UCLA program were exagerated.

Go Cats!

35. the Big Dog
    9:24 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Now let’s get Bennett and Jefferson. Glad to have you back Marcus. (we hope) I know that Cal will be challenging Kyle Wiltjer to get stronger over the summer and to work on his defensive footwork. Mark it down- Poythress is going to be very very good. go Big Blue.

36. If I still lived in Lexington I’d become an entrepreneur and have flat top wigs in the store at 6 a.m. right beside the unibrow merchandise. I’d save a certain percentage to give to the players once they turned pro, although that probably would be a violation even though I’d only be trying to be fair and give them their cut.

GO CATS!!! 9 HERE WE COME!!!

37. Adam
    9:25 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

God Ole Pete is up to stir the hate already: https://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT

38. UKnowMe
    9:27 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Watching Shabazz’s twitter follows drop is hilarious.

39. BlueBloggin
    9:27 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Did the jersey that Noel held up have his or Polsons name on the back? just curious.

40. Dan
    9:28 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Alex made that Statement, Noel.

41. YUP
    9:30 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

My wife says, “You’re welcome.”

42. Korean Tacos
    9:30 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, no ill toward Shabazz. He’ll probably win tournament MOP next year…in the NIT

43. Elmer
    9:31 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I am tired of hearing about Polson. It is turning the kid into a joke.

44. josh
    9:33 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Bazz needs to trade in his nike gear he will be looking good in some cheap addidas in the NIT

45. Old school
    9:33 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

His hair style is called a high top fade or box……. NOT A FLAT TOP!!

46. 29 & 35, it would be really interesting if Teague came back, not just because he’s talented, but I’d REALLY like to see what our offense would be like with our 1st point guard to stick around for a 2nd year. Teague started off kind of slow, as did Knight, but they both came into their own by tourney time. If Teague comes back, look out!

30 & 33, I don’t see any way that MKG comes back, but if he and Teague both did, we would be BEYOND sick next year!!! I LOVE MKG, and not just because of how talented he is. Any player who has his teammates raving about how his motor never quits is something really special.

GO CATS!!!

47. Petino says
    9:35 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

REALLY…. I Mean REALLY… How in the heck am I gonna compete with that? …SERIOUSLY, I mean Come on!!!

48. 45, lighten up. It’s humor!

49. MattJonesHair
    9:36 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I do not approve of that hair!

50. Howland
    9:38 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Whewwww… I can’t keep a group together or give proper council, but; with Shabazz I can defer attention from the media….Thank goodness!!!

51. BlooBloodCat
    9:38 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

How cool is it to miss out out on the #2 player in the class and be able to say “mehhhh” ….cause we got the #1 player instead and our 4th #1 class in a row?!?!
    #fearthefade [[:-)

52. Old school
    9:40 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

48, how would you like it if somebody came along and called your mullet a Mohawk? Lol

53. Go kitties
    9:43 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz f’d up hahaha i don care!!!!

54. Howland
    9:45 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

This Shabazz kid is about to get SHAZAMMED…. damnit I am tired of being the scapegoat. It’s time for new blood. Plus it does’t hurt that I get another year on my MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT. Suck it everyone else

55. Howland
    9:48 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Are you freakin kidding me. Kentucky gets Noel…I just can’t win

56. TBone
    9:50 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Not that I needed a reason to hate Thameltoe but that guy just writes articles with the hope that eventually something will stick. Its not real journalism. Its gotcha journalism and is why the Old Gray Lady (a.k.a., The NY Times) @ 161 years of doing business is worth less than company not even 15 minutes old that made an app to message images (Instagram).

57. JC Penny
    9:50 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I wasn’t trying to fix my rep holmes. You get what you get

John…..

58. C-A-T-S
    9:51 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

It’s not a FLAT TOP it’s a HIGH TOP FADE….get with it dude!!

59. 52, I have never nor I now have a moo-lay. I did have some semblance of a shag in the 70’s for a time.

60. Han
    9:54 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I think we all expect to see a post tomorrow laying out the remaining possible recruits, if Cal is still after them, and odds we get them. It’s mainly Oriahki (if waiver), Bennett and Jefferson now, right?

61. Correction: I have never nor do I now have a moo-lay.

52 & 58, lighten up!!! This is a time to celebrate a #1 class just after hanging #8!!!

62. Howland
    9:56 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

JC Penny, right…Calpari is that you? You s%[email protected]#$.. Wait till I see you

63. B Real
    9:56 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

45 and 58. MJ is quoting a caller on the radio show. Clue? get one.

64. Blessing in disguise
    9:58 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I agree with 26). Bazz is a good player, but he wants to be “The Man” and needs to get his shots. 18 shot attempts in the McDonald’s All Star game and 27 attempts in the Nike Hoop Summit game. He was playing with ALL STARS and still wouldn’t pass the ball. If he were to come to UK, either he wouldn’t be happy because he would have to share the spotlight, OR we wouldn’t be happy because he would decide to play selfish. Probably best that he goes to UCLA where he can shoot 20-30 times/game.

65. Birds
    10:01 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Dont get to excited Matt about the 22,700 people, the NCAA will probably end up vacating it.

66. JC Penny
    10:03 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

No that was not me. I was just sitting here celebrating a high profile (and I, do mean High) profile flattop guy that committed to our athletics program. Just makin a comment on your post 🙂

67. Howland
    10:05 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

grrrrrrrr……………

68. JD West
    10:08 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

I think Matt looks like the lead singer of Tears For Fears. Somewhere Turley Curd is smiling.

69. Big O
    10:10 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Matt. Did you know before he actually announced?

70. kentuckyjeff
    10:10 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Hey Indiana and Louisville fans, Yes Nerlins, Archie and Alex are walking through that door with more to follow.

71. John Montanez
    10:18 pm April 11, 2012 Permalink

Please contact me regarding advertising on your site I am intrested in buying space Thanks John final4prints.com

[email protected]

72. matt jones
    12:09 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones… You are a douchebag

73. Myblueheaven
    12:41 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I thought that picture was Billy Ray Cyrus. Shabazz does seem like a great kid and I guess he decided Ky was not the place for him. I wish him luck but I feel like he decided to help UCLA instead of himself. Scoring twenty five on a mediocre team doesn’t get you as much attention as scoring 14 on a great team with a chance at winning a championship. I’m also tired of hearing about UCLAs eleven championships. Most were won in an era that didn’t have a sliver of the parity college basketball has had in the past twenty.

74. Myblueheaven
    12:48 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

I think Shabazz listened to his family too much instead of following his heart. He didn’t really seem too thrilled when he made his announcement. I also feel in a few weeks he may realize he made a mistake but I do wish him luck though because he does seem like a great kid. I really like him.

75. Ceci
    8:19 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, I never really wanted Shabazz. He might be a great player and all, but I really never thought he was right for Kentucky. There was just something about him. Maybe just a woman’s intuition, but to me seems like he would be more of a “single star” player than his brother’s keeper. Maybe not, but hopefully he can bring some good things for UCLA. I think we have a great class and if we get Bennett or even Oriaki that would just be the cherry on top of the sprinkles, atop the icing on the cake. Love my Cats and am so excited for our future year with Coach Cal and the #1 recruiting class…..AGAIN! 🙂

76. Jimi,Garden of Eden
    10:15 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

Bazz didn’t look happy after announcing…I believe he wanted to come to UK but honored Daddy’$ wishes…the ghost of Sam Gilbert lives…Good Luck ,see ya down the road…

77. BARBER OF THE VILLE
    11:15 am April 12, 2012 Permalink

The next step…..How do you spell…..O-R-I-A-H-KY

78. John Montanez
    6:27 pm April 12, 2012 Permalink

Can I Buy Space on your web site??? can you contact me at [email protected] John