The Final Play’s Monday News and Views

Most everyone and their sister has rehashed Saturday’s game versus Indiana and found fault in a variety of places. Most people have focused their ire on Terrence Jones and a good deal of that disappointment is understandable. Everyone has a bad game, but what disappoints many (me included) about Terrence is that when he had that bad game, he wasn’t the teammate that I know he can be. Whereas Darius Miller, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague have handled their times as the “6th man” on the bench while still cheering on those on the court, Jones spent most of the final seven minutes motionless sitting on the sidelines. My hope is that it is a lesson learned and he showcases a better perspective going forward. My guess is that he will and that Calipari will make that the focus this week.

Long term, the loss on Saturday will mean little. The Indiana atmosphere was as good as I have ever seen for a road game and it was without question the most hostile environment that I can remember UK facing in a long time. In the short term, I do however wonder what exactly was happening with Kentucky on the final play of the game. Calipari said that in the final time out, he implored his players to foul and stop any attempt to get the ball up the court. It is clear that Marquis Teague attempted to commit such a foul, but a lack of an early call, combined with the Zeller pick, took him out of the play. We don’t know why Darius Miller and Anthony Davis didn’t foul the penetrator, and clearly both young men made a mistake.

But I also think John Calipari made a mistake as well. For the life of me, I cannot understand the defensive alignment Calipari utilized in the final moments. With 5.6 seconds left and a foul to give, it would seem to me that you want to play with aggressiveness, go for a steal, and absent that, use your foul. However Calipari put only one player in the backcourt for the final possession. No one guarded the man bringing in the ball (who ultimately made the final shot) and Anthony Davis did not follow Cody Zeller across midcourt when he set the final pick. That doesn’t make sense to me. Had Davis been guarding Zeller, or had Miller been on Watford, they could have rotated over and fouled the ball handler after the pick had taken place. With his long arms, Davis could have surely fouled Jones, placed the ball out of bounds and allowed UK to have a set defense for the final three seconds. Instead, no one was able to stop Jones after the pick. He penetrated toward the middle and Darius Miller had to collapse on him (forgetting to foul) and Miller’s man was then left open for the final shot. Davis guarded no one for the entire play and everyone was left perplexed at the finish.

In a way it looked like a prevent defense in football. Kentucky had every player but one back to prevent an open layup, but only one (Teague) attempting to execute the foul strategy. Had Calipari aligned the UK defense differently, then multiple players could have fouled Jones in the backcourt and prevented the open look. A lot of criticism has gone the players way in the game and much of it is deserved. UK should have shot its foul shots better, made a stronger effort to foul and matched IU’s intensity in the first half. But had UK produced a defensive scheme more accurately designed to the result that it intended (a foul and no open shots), the game might still have been won.

A couple of weekend notes you may have missed:

— UK football got a commitment today from JUCO Safety Kory Brown of Mississippi. I admit to knowing next to zero about him but I have heard his name bandied about this year as a player the staff liked as a potential early contributor. He has the advantage of being a player three years out of high school but with three years of eligibility remaining. That is a combination that coaches like and he has the speed component that Tee Martin and company have coveted. Now will he be any good? When it comes to football recruits, I am firmly convinced that nobody knows….and if they do, then they aren’t blogging.

— We have to give some praise to our man Eloy Vargas for his production in the last few games. Starting with the ST Johns game in Rupp, Eloy has produced quality minutes in three consecutive games against top opponents. On Saturday, I thought the Vargas score and loose ball tie-up were CRUCIAL components to keep the game close before halftime and allowing Kentucky to come out to a manageable deficit. He is clearly player 7.5 in the rotation, but if he continues contributing as he did Saturday, his minutes will increase, potentially at the expense of Kyle Wiltjer.

— Lots of NBA news for our former Cats. Jorts signed with the Knicks, as he now sets out to try and actually make the roster. Eric Bledsoe had his October surgery finally announced to the public, meaning he will be out for the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Chuck Hayes signed with Sacramento, meaning that he will likely start at Power Forward opposite Demarcus Cousins on the all-UK front line. And Tayshaun Prince re-signed with Detroit, meaning he and Brandon Knight will make a second team in which UK has two players on the roster. Also late Sunday night, talk of a Marc Gasol trade with Memphis has Patrick Patterson’s name on the lips of trade rumors across the league. When you have a lot of guys in the league, the NBA becomes more interesting and that is certainly the case for UK fans now.

— UK’s women’s team forced 49 turnovers today in their win over Arkansas Pine Bluff. That is absurd.

— Tim Tebow got the praise, but it was Wesley Woodyard, the former Cat, who forced the Marion Barber fumble that won the Broncos the game against my Bears today. Woodyard is a force in Denver and may be the current most successful Cat in the NFL. Big props to one of my favorites to play for the Gridiron Cats.

We have a big day here on Monday as we find out where the Cats will be ranked in the polls (should be #3), get ready to take our finals and have a radio show full of crow eating and Truth bragging. It will be fun so stick around….

Article written by Matt Jones

79 Comments for The Final Play’s Monday News and Views

1. darryl isaac
    11:08 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

first?

2. darryl isaac
    11:09 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

so many mistakes made in that game. On top of that IU literally got EVERY single loose ball. I told my wife that it just felt like we were meant to lose the game, before the game was over. As bad as we played, Terrence not showing up, missed free throws etc, we still had a chance to win the game and should have won the game in a very hostile environment.

3. jasonthecaller
    11:11 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Watching Rocky II on Versus thinking about the Indiana game, damn the irony.

Wish we had a Rocky I ending instead.

4. Shazam
    11:13 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Very mature insights – I feel better now.

5. jesse
    11:19 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

#3…give me a break Matt..no chance..#8 something like that..loose to an unranked team with a pathetic effort you fall..and yes Louisville will ne #2

6. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    11:32 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Should be 3, but the pollsters love to hate UK. Wouldnt suprise me if we got a bunch of #6 or #7 votes.

7. Jerry
    11:32 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

The game is over and there is nothing you can do about it! Let’s move forward Matt and quit looking backwards! Last time I checked Cal was still the coach! Stay off his back!

8. not #1 in the polls
    11:36 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

jesse…put the blunt down, stay off drugs, and maybe one day you will get out of your parents’ basement. until then go back to Card Chronicle. What’s wrong, even they don’t like you?

9. Lovely
    11:37 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I come here to forget about my finals. Stop reminding me.

10. hersheyisabear
    11:37 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

I have over analyzed this game. Clearly Teague fould that guy and nothing was called. It sucks we lost but tomorrow morning we put it behind us.

11. Hookem
    11:49 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

I want to play matt one on one.

12. Huck13
    11:52 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

“Jones spent most of the final seven minutes motionless sitting on the sidelines.”

I haven’t rewatched the game but, I for sure noticed one play and I think several more where Jones was motionless on O during the game. Standing and no movement at all.

I don’t think that should be the UK way, let someone else play. Let Mr. Jones do the tail/p thing and sit his butt on the bench… too bad we don’t have enough players to be considered as having a bench.

13. MKG
    11:53 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

We should of won. its okay tho. we be aight

14. Rankings
    11:55 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Ranking should be pretty interesting. We lost to an undefeated Indiana team. Note, North Carolina is still ranked ahead of Louisville in one poll, and just behind them in the other. I see no way on God’s green earth we are ranked below UNC, seeing as they got beat by UNLV by 10 on a Neutral site (UNLV was later destroyed by a sub par team), and then we beat them as well. No way we deserve to be ranked below them….especially since they also just squeaked out a win over Long Beach State. Should be interesting to see where we fall.

15. capt. price
    11:59 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Little brother will be ranked number 2. They played national powerhouse Fairleigh Dickinson to deserve such an honor. We’ve beat Kansas and UNC and this is what we get.

Everyone should lay off T.J. Remember, he came back. He didn’t have to.

16. CliffFrankLou
    12:00 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

If the defense was not properly executed, how do you know the plan to criticize?

17. The Poll Results
    12:15 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

1 Syracuse
    2 Louisville
    3 Ohio St.
    4 Duke
    5 North Carolina
    6 Kentucky

I hope I’m wrong…but I bet I’m not!

18. JPhelps
    12:28 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I said the exact same thing when they brought the ball in… You always guard the in bounder. Oh history, you are never kind when you repeat yourself!

19. Rankings
    12:29 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

17. You must have forgot Ohio State got beat…..and that we beat UNC…UK will not be 6th, rest assured

20. jacocat
    12:40 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

i vote U K will be #4

21. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    12:42 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

AND YOUR HEAD COACH FOR THE MEMPHIS TIGERS: JOHN CALIPARI!

22. Skyrim
    12:47 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I have been playing skyrim for the past 22 hours. I smell like a poorly whiped butthole, mixed with video gamer b.o., and the original scent orange hand soap. Wanna come over?

23. JBR
    12:50 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Darius Miller is the biggest waste of potential in the history of UK basketball. He has the physical ability to be an NBA lottery pick, and the mental toughness and heart to be on an NBA dance team. Not only is he not a team leader as a senior, but continuously shrinks away from big plays when needed. Yeah, some other guys had bad games, but Miller should be the one constant on this team with his experience and talent. Unfortunately, he just does not have the heart, toughness, or intelligence. He was the one that should have fouled on that last play…came right to his lap. STUPID

24. HoosierDaddy?
    12:53 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong here (and I’m not BTW), but wasn’t there a radio show on 1080am the other day where the host of said show went on and on about how IU was gonna get “smacked down?” Was I dreaming or didn’t I hear the host of this show ramble/ babble/ spout off at the mouth for quite a while about how UK would shut the IU fans up? Didn’t I hear that host talking about how IU didn’t have the players to win that game? Yep, I sure did

25. Catsincebirth
    12:57 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

UL as #2 is a complete joke.The basketball polls are just as screwed up as the Obama administration.

26. Catsincebirth
    1:01 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame Hoosier daddy..You all played a good game but come March
    you’ll be wanting to trade places with Kentucky..So go fly your IU antenna flags and buy your caps and tee shirts.

27. lipper
    1:27 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

damn, lay off jones! he is the leader of the team if you like to admit it or not! he is not a 6th man like the others mentioned and has never known how to act setting on the bench, knowing he is the best player on the floor. he had a sucky day and you expect him to go over to the bench, clap, smile and be happy? then you would critisize him for not caring. if he was a 6th man i expect he would handle the bench a lot better.

28. bubbles
    4:03 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#27 Dumb insight. He pouted like a baby, this a team, not him. He stood around, got beat on D

29. Beldsoe
    4:39 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

CP3 rumored to Clippers and Beldsoe and company to New Orleans. why didn’t that make Monday mornings news?

30. Beldsoe #2
    4:41 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

29 – I see the article just came out at 4am. I’m sure KSR crew likes to sleep and not update the posts every second

31. CATFANDAN
    5:00 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Where are Teague’s other four team mates on that play..If we had two fouls to give we should of been in a fullcourt all out press and PRESSURING the ball up the court and knock somebody down if you have to get a foul…..

32. CATFANDAN
    5:08 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#27…YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT I EXPECT HIME TO!!!!!…Does the front of his jersey say JONES or KENTUCKY on it…You are part of a team and if you choose to let them down with a lack of EFFORT then at least get off your ass and be a cheerleader…The rest of the guys don’t seem to have a problem with it ….And , MKG is the best player on this team hands down……

33. hmm....
    5:40 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Calipari is a terrible strategist. Plain and simple. Doesnt have the capability of making in game adjustments. It is always halftime. I love what the man has done for this program but his decisions are totally questionable. Im not a coach, but any person with common sense would say that you dont give a man any room to get the ball in an get up court. You have to apply pressure to cause hesitation which will lead to time off the clock. You let the guy cross mid-court! WTF? The kid hit a heck of a shot but it wasnt like he was 0-10 when he shot it. He consistently hit open threes all night. Any slip ups like this will get us sent home in March.

34. MSt
    6:05 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I am dissappointed in our loss, but I am extremely proud of the both teams, playing a very intense game, but yet ending the game with great accolades for both teams and a game all could be proud that they participated in unlike the game from the state next door.

35. urdumb
    6:29 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal was preventing cherry pickin’, Coach Matt. Let Cal do the Coaching, u stick to being sycophantic. Know your role

36. Bledsoe's Biceps
    6:31 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt – In a post earlier yesterday, I questioned the same thing. ie. The defensive scheme at the end of the game. If the obvious intent is to foul, then why did Cal have 4 players parked across the mid-court line? He should have had guys on the lane for the final free throw. ready to rebound a miss or pressure IU on the in bounds. Not one of his better coaching moments.

37. enough already
    6:42 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt why would you want Jones to foul out? I’d say anyone but Jones lands the foul. I know games about over but games have gone into overtime.

38. crackerhillbilly
    6:53 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

And now begins the inevitable criticism that will eventually drive Cal to move on. And unfortunately it is deserved – he is not a great game coach (watch a replay of the Memphis-Kansas final). Cal also needs to work Wiltjer into more game minutes. Both Miller and Jones can play vanishing acts…..both apologize and say they will learn and do better…..Darius has to some extent, but Jones does not rise in big games and I seriously doubt that he ever will (anybody miss Liggens yet). Not going to go deep in March without developing another weapon that can score.

39. RidgeRunner
    6:56 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt, nice write up covering a variety of items. I really have to climb aboard the Vargas praise wagon you mentioned.

I’m still ashamed of Jones not being responsible with his quit-performance tweet. Never will look at him the same. Some either don’t see or don’t want to admit the difference between someone having a bad game and pouting/quitting. The IU loss is not whats important here. A player quit on us and didn’t own up to it.

40. gcat4496
    6:59 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

You can play the what if game forever. Just like the Laetner shot. Last weekend, the Tarheels fans were also 2nd guessing as tho why they didn’t foul, and why did Zellar lose the ball, how did Davis block it. In the end, we won an exciting game and lost an exciting game, both to hated rivals. As the saying go, you win and you lose some.

41. Truth
    7:03 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Why does Cal alaways refuse to do what is right? Jones needs to be benched for a couple games. Rick did it with Earl Calrk against us. No way Coach K, Bob Knight or even Roy Williams would let a punk like Jones run the show. Who is in charge, Jones or Cal? The answer appears to be Jones. Sack up Cal! It takes a pair to do the right thing sometimes. Lets see if Cal can find his balls.

42. The Source
    7:06 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

In hindsight it is always easy to see what should have been done Nostradumbass

43. SexnNursinHomes
    7:15 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

We deserved to get beat with our effort. No excuses. but I will say this. I’m amazed at how tick tacky the fouls were called up until Teague tried to foul on that last play.

First 39:55 of the game- Touch fouls called

Last 0:05 of the game- Fouls are A OK

44. all the other kids
    7:46 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Jones=Rod Rhodes. ‘Nuff said.

45. all the other kids
    7:47 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I said this earlier, but I don’t see my comment, but Jones=Rod Rhodes.

46. Al's IndiCats
    7:48 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I agree 43, MKG was hammered on a layup and not foul, Davis swipes at a ball under the basket and gets called from the ref at center court. Then teague fouls and no call at mid court.
    We do have to get better on foul shooting though. We hit two more and we win. But this was the most HOSTILE crowd we’ll face this year…..Bar None……..GO CATS!!!!!!!!

47. Rickpitinoshairplug
    7:49 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I stopped reading when you said “go for a steal”. Are you crazy?! Going for a steal could give them an easy two points.

48. Rickpitinoshairplug
    7:51 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

We have the dumbest fans in the world. The coach has led 3 programs to the inal
    Four and he can’t coach? And you wonder why people
    Call us idiots????

49. tdr76
    8:03 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Early, non-conference loses, will not hurt this young team, but will provide a needed teachable moment for the coaching staff.

50. Bledsoe
    8:08 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

They are fighting over Bledsoe! Not sure if that’s a good thing, but i guess that means Bledsoe has a lot of value

51. SexnNursinHomes
    8:08 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

46- no doubt. bar none for sure. Duke plays a crappy game and they always get bailed out at the end. Not us though.

That said. Since we cannot get the bail-out calls, we cannot afford missed free throws and missed gimme baskets (the easy one where Teague was wide open under the goal and missed). and no more no-show jones. that did us in big time.

52. logical catfan
    8:13 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt – in basketball, when you come out of a timeout with the plan to foul, you just foul you don’t plan for anything else. there is not time in a timeout to plan nor is it worth planning to “align” the defense to have 2nd and 3rd fouling opportunities in the rare occasion that your initial attempt will not be whistled. and no you never want to tell your team to go for a steal in that situation EVER.

were there coaching errors? yes, there always are in hindsight after a loss. who the heck cares lets not blow on the embers of a tough loss and look ahead.

53. Hank
    8:16 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Twany Beckham is on deck. All problems solved.

54. Polls
    8:18 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I say new poll will be:
    1) Syracuse
    2)Louisville
    3) Duke
    for sure…then the next 3 may or may not be in this order:
    4) UNC
    5) UK
    6) Ohio St.

55. Michael
    8:19 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt, if Davis fouls in the final seconds, he fouls out and becomes unavailable for a potential overtime.

56. Dale in Orlando
    8:20 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Why do we always forget about the Magic. Liggins and Orton. Orton is going to have a great year.

57. bluebiscuit
    8:29 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Terrence was Indiana Jones in the Assembly Hall of Doom.

58. Rickpitinoshairplug
    8:33 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#56. It’s not about specific calls. It’s about how one sided tr officiating was. Especially in te first half. Only a fool would argue that the refs didn’t keep iu in the game in the first half.

59. Jim
    8:34 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I dont know about your last call Matt. I will agree the was a defensive break down on the final play but I think it was executiion rather than the call. If someone remembers to foul our Monday morning discusion is much different. I have seen stacking the front court lead to a lot of easy run outs. Plus you want them to inbound the ball in the back court and bring it across before you foul. That means they burn seconds and if they beat me on a rainbow from the other end if the court well, it was their day.

60. Matt Jones
    8:36 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#57 that is a good point…however if the entire point is to foul, you have to have five people on the court who can foul. Maybe you take Davis off until after the foul and then check him back in. Either way, if all five cant foul, then you set yourself up for exactly what happened

61. Cristoforouk
    8:38 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal is the man but come on people, he does not walk on water. As a fellow coach I can tell you he is probably hardest on himself and can tell you a bunch of things he thinks he should have done differently. There are coaching mistakes every game with every coach in the country. Let’s keep some perspective.

I don’t think people understand what going for a steal can mean. Yes it would have been a bad idea to leave a man to gamble to pick off a pass. But if your man is going at you 1v1 it is quite ok with a foul to give to play physical and take a swipe at the ball when he is still in front of you. Best case scenario you win the ball. Worst case scenario you foul. I agree with Matt. We should have been much more aggressive defensively on the final play if the plan was in deed to foul.

62. MKG
    8:39 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I wish everyone would get over it. Louisville #2. Who cares we will beat them on the 31st and prove this is our state once again.

63. sunnycat
    8:47 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

IF Jones would have shown up we win going away. Jones quit on this team period. I have never been a Jones fan nor will I be. Going 2-10 on field goals would be a bad game but he went 2-3 field goals. Seriously Jones can only get off 3 shots. He wasn’t the best player on the team last year and he isn’t the best player on the team this year.

64. ThatsAShame
    8:58 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I disagree with you call regarding the defense on the last play. You move too many into the front court and you risk the long pass for a layup. You have to guard against the easy 2 rather than the 3. At home you go for the tie not the win. Putting too many people in the front court, including your best shot blocker leaves you open to the easy basket.

Fact of the matter they had MT on the ball, he tried to foul, it was not called. The D was fine. Great O beats great D everytime.

65. Big E
    9:00 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

MAKE YOUR GOD DAMN FREE THROWS.

66. kyhank
    9:03 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

T Jones quit on his team, He did not have a bad game, HE QUIT !! I do not know why but he quit I know it you know it and he knows it and after the team looks at film they will know it I hope we can get past it but he sure as h-ll quit

67. jesse
    9:15 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Jones is such a little bitch..flex your muscle against Chattanooga all you want..you got pinker out by Indiana …give me a break…pathetic…if you want to be in the NBA you better grow a pair

68. Al B. Sure
    9:21 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Its amazing how much IU gear I’ve seen people wearing today. I haven’t seen that crap for years, but now suddenly there are so many IU fans. Go figure. Of course, win or lose, I’ll still be rocking my UK gear. A true fan doesn’t wait until a big win to proclaim their allegiance to a team, but then again… IU fans SHOULD be proud. This is their biggest win in a decade. UofL fans bragging so much, however, I don’t get. They didn’t beat us.

69. he says she
    9:38 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

70. I was surprised yesterday walking through the mall in Louisville — I didn’t see one person wearing IU gear, but I did see many people proudly wearing UK gear and one UofL fan. I expected to see lots of old cream and crimson sweatshirts pulled out of mothballs, but not a one.

70. Eddie C
    9:41 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

karma is in fact a bitch, matt. bring on the truth! lol…

71. Catfan in C-bus
    9:53 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Jones has always dribbled the ball wildly and too high, it’s just that IU is the first team that exploited that weakness in his game, but likely won’t be the last. For all the talk about how much improved he is vs. last year, team leaders simply don’t take games off in terms of effort, and rebounding is 99% effort…..how does a 6’9″ guy get only one rebound?????

72. Me
    10:03 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I agree with your assessment totally on that last play. I watch 6th grade Middle school teams do this play after play 3 days a week. seriously he gets paid MILLIONS of dollars a year and that was the best he can do. No wonder he’s never won a national title. Final words out of the last TO Saturday should have been, “Get in somebodies face and stay there!, do not let them shoot the 3!” This is why I believe the entire game was nothing but a farce to help Tom and IU with recruiting. In the long run, it means nothing, absolutely nothing when it comes to anything. It will not affect our NCAA seeding or selection, unless we go .500 in the SEC which isn’t happening. Oh you say we may slip to a #2 seed. Well if we beat UL, UF and other teams that have a good sagarin or whatever rating the committee uses for seeding, it’s not going to matter.

73. Michael
    12:01 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#62: Agree with everything else you said. Just making the point that anyone else could have, and should have fouled. It just couldn’t be Anthony Davis.

74. dennis quire
    12:18 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Before the missed free throws by Anthony Davis at the end, when they were bringing the ball down the court, I wonder why Coach Cal did not call a time out and set up a final play? Were the Cat’s out of time outs? As soon as they passed the ball to Davis I thought oh no!!!! They would much rather have him shooting free thows, they are going to foul him right away and sure enough they did. By taking a time out would have alone let them set up a play and burn at least a few more ticks off the clock.

75. Mean Gene
    1:00 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt Jones’ word of the day: component.

Pay attention, folks. There’s a new word used excessively in every MJ post!

76. The Truth
    1:36 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Oh dear God. Matt Jones is now a basketball coach. On top of lawyer, bad writer, and mediocre broadcaster. This was the reason I was pulling for an undefeated season.

77. Larry
    2:59 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Hey Truth leave the voice of BBN alone. You Hoosiers won and thats the bottom line. As Matt said it was an upset or they wouldn’t have stormed the floor after the game. They may not win another game this year(Indiana) They were so pumped. Matt Jones has the best job there is and does one hell of a job. All the KSR people do.Watching the game I don’t think The Cats will ever play in a more hostile environment than in Bloomington. I just hope BBN remembers this next year when we play these scum bums again. Hoosiers are SCUM BUMS and Cards are FILTHY CARDS.And thats all I got to say about that! Because I said so!

78. Katdaddy
    5:30 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal only takes the blame for wins!

79. Three Ball
    8:04 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I guess beating Tennesse in FB was your Super Bowl…5-7 Tennessee.