The Eternal Over/Under: Six wins

six blossom Pictures, Images and Photos

It’s as much a part of Kentucky football anymore as hearing “First Dowwwwwwwn, Kentucky”, so it’s not all that surprising that the oddsmakers have given Kentucky football an over/under of six wins this season.  The Cats, of course, are looking to make a run to their fifth straight bowl game, but will have to again reach the coveted six wins.  Because of the turnover on offense and the new scheme on defense, some fans are concerned that this might be the year the streak ends.  Let’s take a look.

The Cats have three games that are essentially locks to win (go knock on wood) in Western Kentucky, Central Michigan and Jacksonville State.  They’re favored by eight against Louisville, so, for the purposes of this post, we’ll count that win too.  Vandy is Vandy, so we’ll go ahead and mark that down for the Cats too.  So, can they win at least one of the following game?

FLORIDA
at LSU
at South Carolina
MISS STATE
OLE MISS
at Georgia
TENNESSEE

At first glance, you have to think that they can. Ole Miss, who Kentucky should have handled last season, again looks like they should struggle, so winning at home against the Rebels is feasible. The game with Tennessee again seems like it’s a coin flip, but I’m not going to ever count that as a win until the Cats can break the streak. Georgia and Florida are down, but they’re still Georgia and Florida. The other three teams should be considerably better than the Cats, but none are completely unbeatable. As it is in most years, the importance of Kentucky’s postseason hopes seems to hinge on beating the teams they should.

So what does that all mean? It means you can figure it out. The over/under is six wins for the Cats. What are you taking?

Article written by Thomas Beisner

31 Comments for The Eternal Over/Under: Six wins

1. Ukcats
    12:20 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

beat miss, miss st, tenn, and go 8-4.

2. Don
    12:22 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

push..

3. Z.Rex
    12:23 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

I say over… and while I realize UK football is a major uphill struggle in the SEC, I for one am tired of simply hoping the team wins 6 games each year. We are capable of beating every team on the schedule (yes I include Florida, stranger things have happened… at some point), so it seems self-limiting to simply have a goal of 6 wins.

4. Doubting Thomas
    12:26 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

I only see the 3 lock games. No way you can automatically figure Louisville and Vandy as wins. With that said, I believe we’ll beat Louisville, vandy, Ole Miss and drum roll please, Tennessee. This would give us a 7-5 record and a nice bowl appearance. Overall the SEC is down this year and we need to take advantage.

5. Getwhatyougive
    12:31 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Nice 6 reference … Joey says:”WOAH”

6. Holden McGroin
    12:33 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

i’m taking the Cats in another WGAF bowl.

7. UhWhat?
    12:37 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

I’m glad so many (practically everyone) thinks the game with Jacksonville State is a lock. That team won the OVC last year, beat Ole Miss (at Ole Miss), and return most of their players. Some lock. As for Louisville and Vandy, again you’re counting chickens before they hatch. I only see two sure-fire wins, and having been a fan of UK for upteen years, as one person said, “strange things can happen.” And #3, I couldn’t agree with you more. Until this mind-set of “let’s win 6” and go to a meaningless bowl changes, it only proves my point the UK has learned to wallow in mediocrity.

8. UKSoCal
    12:39 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Just making a bowl game doesn’t mean anything. Until they get over the hurdle of thinking that just making a bowl game is an accomplishment, the team will never be that good.

9. Blue Donkey
    12:47 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

I believe it will be the sixth straight bowl appearance, not fifth.

10. El Dude
    12:48 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

From where this program has been in the last 30 years, just making a bowl game IS an accomplishment. I must have missed those years where we even contended for the middle of the pack in the SEC…

11. SexnNursinHomes
    1:08 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

10- it was an acclomplishment when it was an 11 game season, and had to have 7 wins to get in. No team should go to a bowl game with a 6-6 record. sorry that shit doesn’t count. You shouldn’t get rewarded for being mediocre.

As my prediction I am going with 12-0 as I do every year.

12. middlesborojoe
    1:11 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

#9 is correct….we HAVE been to 5 straight bowls!

13. ThaCoach
    1:13 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

over 6 & a bowl victory we are r-i-s-i-n-g!!!

14. Kernel Sanders
    1:15 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

#8 — I think you’re confusing the goals of some of the fans/media with the goals of the team. I honestly don’t recall seeing anyone associated with UK FB touting a 6 win season as the goal, or even just qualifying for another bowl game as the goal. Don’t put words in “their” mouth.

15. Tobias Funke
    1:22 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Until the season starts I’m thinking we can win the SEC.

16. Football Man
    1:35 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

The home games gives us a chance to rise above this year!

17. AtWork
    1:41 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t say that Georgia will be “down,” their quarterback is really good.

18. Football Man
    1:42 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

This is an opportunity to climb @ home. Win 2/4 = 7 wins. we could pull 8 w/a lil’ break here or there.

19. warrior
    1:53 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

10-2 losses at SC and Fl. I am ready to see a young warrior dressed in BLUE go 98 yards with the opening kickoff on Sept 1st!!!!!!! GO LARGE BLUE!!!!!!

20. ColoradoCat
    2:54 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

8-4…florida, mississippi, vanderbilt, and….georgia. UT curse lives on

21. ColoradoCat
    2:58 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

8-4…$ out of conference games along with Florida, Mississippi, Vanderbilt, and…Georgia. UT curse lives on.

22. UKfanNKY
    3:08 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

CATS undefeated!!!! Eat crow ALL YOU HATERS!!!! Yeah, I just burned one, how about 9-3. GO CATS!!!!!! UT curse goes down this yr. CATS WIN. GO CATS!!!

23. Gillespie's Tab
    3:53 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

lets be serious…5 wins, 6 at most. Once again the irrational die hard football fans emerge. Our whole season hinges on UofL, and no i’m not a tard fan or anything like that, but think about it, with the three cupcakes and vandy, that makes 4..if we lose to the Tards thats another SEC game we have to win. But as always, and I cant believe some of you still delude to thinking we will beat everyone we are supposed to, we will lose 2 or 3 we should definately win.

24. Robby R.
    4:28 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

the under, hell they have to win 7 for you to win so try and find 2 more wins in that, I can’t, Push at worst I would say 75% chance to win on the under.

25. Holden McGroin
    5:03 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Bowl or no bowl, i don’t care. I’d just like this to be the year UT goes down.

26. DorisBurkeisdumb
    6:00 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

LSU is the most unbeatable team on the schedule. We lost 49-0 last time there and Les Miles was not happy about being here last time and getting beat. LSU is also good QB play away from giving the SEC 6 in a row this year. 49-0 at halftime is a good prediction I will be at the game so hopefully we will show up but dont hold your breath.

27. jarshoe
    7:14 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Way too many questions on offense. I’m sure Newton has taken a step forward, but to lead this team beyond 5 or 6 wins, he needs to take about 5 steps forward. Running back? Receiver? Lots of questions. While Rick Minter is an upgrade at the defensive coordinator, it is still a group that will have to step up to stop SEC offenses. Six wins and a bowl with this group will be a solid season.

28. ribin
    9:24 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Should beat the Mississippi’s — Vandy (Curry isn’t coaching here anymore), always feel we can play with Georgia — Florida is coming back to the pack, TN (should have won 3 of last 5) — so it can be done..

29. Hard Hittin' CAT
    9:33 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

8 – 4 and I’m leaning towards 9 – 3. Eat it!!

Trevathan’s a BEAST!!
    GO CATS!!!!

30. bluetexan
    10:20 pm August 2, 2011 Permalink

Under…5-7 if lucky…FREE MIKE LEACH!

31. Holden McGroin
    8:13 am August 3, 2011 Permalink

have to post for updated comments?