The Emotional State of the BBN

feelingchart

This season has been a roller coaster ride of emotions. From a Top 5 preseason ranking to the gloss and glitz of ESPN’s All-Access series, expectations were higher than Nerlens’ flat top. A bumpy non-conference ride reined us back to Earth, where we realized that this team and its freshmen were very different than their predecessors. After Nerlens Noel went down with a torn ACL and the team lost by 30 to Tennessee, many wrote off this squad’s chances and resigned themselves to filling out a bracket that didn’t include the Cats. When the team regrouped to beat Vanderbilt, Missouri and Mississippi State, hopes were high across the Bluegrass once again, only to be deflated when the group stumbled at Arkansas.

For the first Monday of March, it is awfully quiet around here. Is the silence a sign of apathy about this squad’s chances of making the tournament, a hangover from Saturday, or did the BBN get a hold of some of Cal’s extra pain meds from today’s dental procedure? After reading your comments on the site and Twitter, here’s the range of emotions I see in the BBN right now:

Is it next season yet? — You’ve accepted that this team just doesn’t have what it takes. You’ll tune into games for the first few minutes to see how the Cats play, and at the first Archie Goodwin head first drive, you’re searching for chores to do around the house. The light at the end of the tunnel? The Harrison Twins, James Young, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, and maybe even Andrew Wiggins or Julius Randle. There’s always next year.
Projected finish: 40-0 and the school’s ninth National Championship…next year

Apathetic — You’re done stressing out about this squad. As Cal constantly puts it, “We are what we are,” and right now, that’s a very incomplete team with few players giving their all each night out. If they don’t show the effort, why should you? You’ll tune in, but won’t read too much into their wins or losses. If they make the Tournament–great. If not, there’s plenty of golf and “Duck Dynasty” reruns to keep you occupied.
Projected finish: Who cares?

Doubtful — Listen, this group has had their moments. The win over Missouri was exciting, and maybe they can win one in Nashville to keep the BBN partying. But, the Cats’ loss to Arkansas revealed some fatal flaws that not even “do or die” momentum can cover up. There are certain players on this team who don’t fit into Cal’s system right now, and if they don’t bend to the will of the team in the next week, it will be a very quiet March in the Bluegrass.
Projected finish: Win over Georgia, lose to Florida, lose the first game in the SEC Tournament, miss the cut in the NCAA Tournament

Still hopeful — The win over Missouri shows me this team can still do something. Losing at Arkansas is nothing to be too concerned about since everyone but Syracuse has lost there this season, including Florida. Sure, Ryan Harrow, Alex Poythress, and Kyle Wiltjer practically disappeared, but there’s still time to turn it around before Nashville. A win over Georgia, a close game against Florida, and practically a home crowd at the SEC Tournament will give this team the momentum it needs to at least make the Tournament.
Projected finish: Win over Georgia, toss-up against Florida, two wins in the SEC Tournament, make the NCAA Tournament

Final Four or bust — You are drunk. Go home.
Projected finish: Win out, Win SEC Tournament, Win all the honky tonks, Win NCAA Tournament

Which best describes your feelings about this team’s current state?

29 Comments for The Emotional State of the BBN

1. kramer
    8:08 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I am somewhere between, apathetic and doubtful! It hurts me to be that way but, it is what it is!

2. kramer
    8:09 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

3. DB11
    8:11 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Apathetic..

4. Mc
    8:12 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to stay hopeful. At least it gives me something to get excited over. Maybe a neutral court with Bbn traveling will help this team get into the dance. I’s not being overly optimistic thinking they’ll win 2 out of the next 3; or 3 out of 4 whatever it takes to make it.

5. taylorsvillecat
    8:19 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

One foot each in Doubtful and Still Hopeful. Glass half-full….

6. bigblue
    8:24 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

remember uconn two years ago running the big east table and all u have to do is get hot at the right time and win 6 n a row, also see the dirty birds last season as example, u know how things get crazy n march,we got nothin to lose GOBIGBLUE!!!!!!!!

7. Old Cat
    8:24 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I suggest that you omitted one emotion: Thank goodness for football!

8. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    8:27 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, I have no effing clue how to feel about this damn team. Just when I think all hope is lost, they pull it together and reel off a few wins, including a solid one over Mizzou. Then, when I think they finally have it together, they completely disappear. I’m still hopeful but I’m just too damn confused by this team to be firmly in one camp or another.

9. Raleigh Cat Fan
    8:28 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m gonna join forces with John Short and follow the Lady Cats all the way to the Final Four.

10. Sayin' it for weeks
    8:31 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

apathetically doubtful…..some fans still think this team will turn it around. This is not 2011.

11. Rae
    8:37 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Final Four or bust…for the women.

12. Al's IndiCats
    8:39 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Been a CAT fan since the tender age of 5 (1956). There’s always been tough times and they seem it happens when a lot of folks lose their faith. Ca ca occurs, but you sit…get over it….and just go on. Cal’s had his work cut out with these guys this year but it’s always a positive. Hang in there BBN, only time will tell…….if it doesn’t this year, bet the farm it will next year……GO CATS!

@6 EXACTLY always expect the unexpected!!!!!!!!!

13. Bobbum man
    8:41 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

One foot on still hopeful one in doubtful but I’m reachin my arm for apathetic

14. Mike
    8:43 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Apathetic and Doubtful.

15. Otis
    8:45 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Final Four or bust and pass the Makers Mark.

16. Steve Fitts
    8:49 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

This season: (Caucasian accent) “We’re bad.” (“bad” = bad)
    Next season: (African-American accent) “WE B-A-A-A-D!!!” (“bad” = good)

17. crazycatfan
    8:53 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Still hopeful. After all … WE ARE KENTUCKY!!!

18. oldschool
    8:59 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Realistic: This team is young and plays like freshmen because they are freshmen. Given the chance to mature and develop, this would be a final-four caliber team by their junior year and Poythress and Noel would both be All-Americans.

But – most of them will be gone next year, replaced by another group of 18-year-old kids who are going to be unrealistically expected transition from playing 16-year-old boys this year, to 21-year-old men in a matter of months.

19. Hey
    9:08 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Still Hopeful – Mike’s mother on the chances her 30 year-old son moves out of her basement.

20. NigaknockingOnHeaVENSdOOR
    9:14 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I been “Is it next season yet?” since about the first week of December. Just a horrible season this year. No good games, no good memories, all the players are soft and unlikeable, and no big wins. I swear Billy G’s last season was funnier then this crap!

The good thing about the one and done rule is that all these lazy mofo’s will be gone come March and we get our next punch of pay for play(ers) 🙂

21. Wayne
    9:29 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Guess my view is still hoprful

22. Wildcat84
    9:55 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Is it next season yet?

23. busterqbundy
    10:04 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Always optimistic…..I’m the kind of fan that will pick’em to win it all in my ncaa brackets even if they are a 12 seed.

24. niaps
    9:21 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

NIT bound apathetic

25. UK Fan
    9:22 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Apathetic at best. This team doesn’t care aout us …why should I care about them?

26. Bluekzu
    9:45 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Apathetically still hopeful? When I was a younger person, I would have invested more emotion in this kind of unpredictable team and been fully reamed by now. Apathy as a defense mechanism, hope because I’ll always love Big Blue..and life without hope is a dark place.

27. lou
    10:16 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Anyone above apathetic please share whatever you have been smoking for last few months. What I really want to see is for UK to get in, at any seed, face a contender and knock off a PUKE for example…then make at least some noise and scare the he}} outta some teams….

28. catfan38
    12:10 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Still hopeful! Always a Catfan!!!!

29. STEVE!
    1:22 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

How can anyone that claims to be a Big Blue Fan be apathetic? We make fun of other fanbases for being frontrunners and bandwagon jumpers. I’ve seen a lot of great teams and some not-so-great teams over the past 40 years, but I’ve rooted for them all up tp the last game. Not smoking anything, lou, but you can call me Still Hopeful.