The Dominique Hawkins File

Dominique Hawkins
6’1″, 170 lbs.
Richmond, Kentucky
Guard
@Dhawk_25

Rivals: 3-star
247: 3-star, 173rd best player in the country, 44th best PG, 2nd best player in the state of KY
Scout: 3-star

What’s Kentucky getting: “A tough-nosed point guard.” That’s how Hawkins described himself to reporters this morning. Hawkins burst onto the scene during the Sweet 16 last month, refusing to let his team lose and leading them to the State Championship. In four games at Rupp Arena, Hawkins scored 107 points and won MVP honors with Calipari and his staff watching in the stands. A few days after his team won the title, they were invited to watch UK practice and Hawkins got the offer he’s been waiting for his whole life.

Hawkins’ dominant Sweet 16 run wasn’t a fluke; in December, he score 29 points against his future teammates the Harrison Twins, along with 56 points in two games against Derek Willis’ Bullitt East and 58 points in Madison Central’s two games against Ballard. Many have called Hawkins a quicker Anthony Epps, and Calipari compared him to Eric Bledsoe in terms of strength and physical play.

Why Kentucky needs him: In addition to some serious skills on the court, Hawkins has the team mentality, heart, and toughness Kentucky so desperately needs, along with a heavy sense of perspective and appreciation. Sure, he may not be a five-star, but he understands what it means to wear the Kentucky jersey–he’s been dreaming of it his entire life: “Since I was a little kid – I grew up as a Kentucky fan. It’s been my dream school.”

Don’t think for a second that Hawkins will get lost in the bevy of all-stars coming in. Hawkins has proved he can hold his own against Andrew Harrison, and while he may not start, just having him at practice to compete against the Harrisons will make everyone better. Plus, he’ll be around for a few years, so he’ll provide some crucial continuity from team to team. Hawkins can ease the transition from elite PG to elite PG and help each one learn the Calipari system, all while being a valuable veteran presence.

See him in person: Hawkins will join fellow Kentucky born Wildcat Derek Willis in the Kentucky Derby Classic on April 19th and will also represent the state in the Kentucky/Ohio All-Star game in Crestview Hills, Kentucky this weekend.

Watch him work:

54 Comments for The Dominique Hawkins File

1. Drunk Papa J
    11:12 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Im pumped about this kid. He’s tough, quick, a winner, and a Kentucky boy. What more can you ask for. I think he’s gonna surprise some people in the Derby Classic. Get him in our strength program and let him practice against Harrison every day and he’s gonna be special in a couple years, if not sooner.

2. LaFamilia
    11:13 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to the fam, D! Do work!

3. Pitinos Tramp Stamp
    11:14 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

If he is anything like Epps then we are getting a special player. Epps is still one of my all time favorite Wildcats.

4. Amaze Pants
    11:18 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Knowing how this works, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he has an amazing freshman season and finds himself having to make the decision of staying or going in the first round of the 2014 draft.

5. Umm
    11:20 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope he’s better than this highlight reel because he looks like he needs to work on his handling and shooting. Didn’t see a blow by ability either.

6. bilbo
    11:24 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

5…..you’re a hater get a life and a job

7. catlogic15
    11:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Just the fact he hung 29 on the Harrisons’ team is exciting enough. I believe it was Andrew that complimented Hawkins saying “the kid can ball” or words to that effect.

Can’t wait tio see him inAll Star action coming up. He will definitely keep the practices honest next year from a point guard perspective.

8. Umm
    11:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

6. A. I’m at work
    B. Do we not criticize players on this blog all the time?

9. Mike
    11:37 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Check out this link…

The kid can get up!

10. Like Bledsoe?????
    11:41 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

3) I’ve seen him play several times and I don’t think Epps is a fair comparison. Epps was one of the best true PG UK has had in the last 20 years. He had great handle and was smart player who put the hands in the players who needed it. If most will be honest he’s closer to a taller Brandon Stockton. Stockton too has a high scorer in KHAA.
    Hawkins could well develope in to a very capable player at UK but he like most freshman need a year or two to grow in the system. I could see him take to the same route as Polson. Setting and watching for 2 years then playing a key role off the bench as Junior or Senior. That’s not hating that’s realistic and I think about 95% of us would love to be in his position.

11. Cat89
    11:41 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy for this young man, truly. Living the dream and all. I’ll qualify what I’m about to write; I have never seen this kid play. I live in Western Kentucky and have never heard of the young man until very recently. Perhaps like many in Central and Eastern Kentucky never heard of Jon Hood before he signed. So my comments come from that perspective. Heart, desire, and work ethic are all valuable traits that cannot be coached. We saw how the absence of those traits can affect a McDonalds All-American type talent this year. Based solely on the embedded video I just saw, it’s hard for me to envision Dominique having much of an impact on the playing surface, (ala Jon Hood). Admittedly and unfair comment given my lack of knowledge on this young man. Regardless I wish him well and it’s easy to see what this opportunity means to him. Best of luck to you Dominique and welcome.

12. Michael F. Jox
    11:44 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

#5 – It is a weak highlight reel.

Hopefully the Ky boys keep it close this yr with Ohio. Don’t they usually get destroyed, or is that the Indy game?

13. squirrel
    11:46 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

if he’s the 2d best player in ky who’s #1?

14. Bryan
    11:50 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of another KY born point guard that came to UK with a bunch of all-Americans in the mid 90’s…… Anthony Epps.

15. unreconstructed
    11:51 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Who is # 1, if he’s not!!!

16. raynes
    11:56 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

If Hawkins got the call that he had a scholarship waiting for him than that means all the talk of “he’s nobody’s walk-on” was just a jab at Pitino offering him a “preffered walk-on” spot. A true uk fan if you ask me, distaste for UL included.
    #13 – That would be Willis, which means we get the #1 and #2 guys in the state to go along with a host of #1 and #2 guys in the country!

17. VandZandz
    12:05 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

These are highlights?

18. mike porter
    12:08 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

this kid will eventually transfer. there just isnt any room for him, and he will never see the court. What ive seen here Jarod Polson is a better basketball player.

19. Drew Blue
    12:13 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Archie Goodwin would envy that free throw form. Fundamentally solid player. Which is what our team lacked the past..I like this kid. I like him a lot.

20. Tom Crean
    12:18 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Hey 19, sounds like you’ve been thinking about him a lot, a whole lot.

21. Johnny Blue
    12:19 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

This kid is much better than Polson ever thought of being. Not a knock on Polson. He just doens’t have the abilities to do some of the things this kid can do. Great pickup.

22. Michael
    12:24 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Willis is #1?

23. Steve
    12:25 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

2012-13 Kentucky would have been a better team with Hawkins at point guard than some others.

24. SoFLCat
    12:25 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

This is a great for both sides. UK needs a kid that would, at least right now, project to be a 2-3 year player. Dominique will in return be practicing against the top players in the country on a daily basis. Normally at most schools he would get to measure himself against the best five or six times in the regular season (at best). At UK his development will be rapid, if he comes with the right attitude, which it looks like he is. I LOVE getting these types of kids. I think every year Cal should make a priority of trying to find one guy like this to help add stability to the program.

25. Nate Trump
    12:28 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Hey BBN, is this kid better than what we’re seeing in this “highlight” video?

26. Roland
    12:33 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

27. Like Bledsoe??????
    12:34 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

21 you just told me you know NOTHING about basketball by your comment! If your saying Hawkins has the potential to be better then Polson in a couple years if he puts in the work then you could be right. No way will he play over Polson next year. Plus he leave out Polson is 6’5 with a good jumper you know 2 key things to being a guard.

28. Like Bledsoe??????
    12:41 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

14 He remindes me of anther Kentucky Born player came to Kentucky in Brandon Stockton and even Josh Carrier.

29. catsfrankfort
    12:47 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

27. Polson is NOT anywhere close to 6’5”. Thats just ridiculous.

30. Fan club
    12:50 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

At 27, are you flipping serious right now you idiot.. So your telling me polson is better than Hawkins… Lol I bet your one of the ones that got put on antidepressant med after the 92 season aren’t you. I will bet u that polson doesn’t get 5 minutes a game next year. Up ur meds moron…

31. HeSaidWhat
    1:00 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Polson 6’5″…uhhhhhhhhhhh, no. 6’2″ is what he is listed at and I’d suspect that is with shoes on so really about 6′ tops.

Polson could have ran the PG spot for UK this year and they WOULD have made the NCAA Tourney…something a prior 5* star kid couldn’t do.

So I welcome another hard working kid with heart to the team any day! Congrats Dominique!

32. Bovvy
    1:03 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m a uk fan, but in reality a good player don’t go under the radar this much. Hood was a four star. I’m not that excited about getting him. If you think your better than every coach in the country and nation recruiting analysis then think what you want. We had an open scholly thats all.

33. highlight video
    1:12 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

This kid might be really good, but that highlight video was horrible. Did they not show the ball going through the net because he missed the shot? And there was one “highlight” where they actually showed him miss the shot. I assume it’s because he drew the block, but that’s no more of a highlight than the free throw he shot at the end of the vid. If this is the video that other schools saw, it might explain why he’s only a 3* player.

34. Like Bledsoe?????
    1:15 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

31 All I’m saying is if Hawkins developes into a role like Polson has it will be great for him and UK. I don’t know why so many act like that’s saying something bad about the kid. I’ve never said UK shouldn’t have got him.
    It just is crazy to read so of these comments about him playing big minutes as a freshman or how he passes Polson when he steps foot on campus. Why are so many so quick it discredit the player Polson has worked to become!

35. Real UK Fan
    1:28 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins and Polson are practice players. If we are depending on either of them to give signficant real minutes then next year’s team is doomed. Neither is capable of play the PG position at the level required on a championship team. If there are scholarships open it is great to give one to each. However, if they are playing lots of minutes then I think we can give up on next season.

36. Crizzle
    1:36 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

He will get spot minutes this year like wiltjer as a freshman. He will solidly be in the rotation by his junior year. May not ever start because Cal always gets his PGs but he could be very solid off the bench in time.

37. Blue42
    1:43 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

These highlights are all from just one game. They aren’t the best of the best from his high school career.

38. Blue4ever
    1:45 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Ball Hog

39. Mike Phillips
    1:56 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins were to come to UK, it would give Hawkins more minutes on the court. Games wouldnt be close in the last 7-10 minutes.

40. El Guapo
    2:10 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Maybe the problem is we spend too much time watching highlight reels and “mixtapes” and not enough time looking at the end results. The kid is a WINNER. He went out there on the toughest stage in high school basketball and performed at top level. He gets results, and that’s what I want: someone who knows how to win. If all you did was watch highlights, you’d think Archie was a good player. Watching the actual season, you find out real quick. I’ll take a kid any day who knows how to win AND understands what wearing the Kentucky jersey should mean.

41. TShlee
    2:25 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

It amazes me how little some people know. I watched this kid play first hand. He is GOOD, with the potential to be GREAT. This upcoming season, he will develop at a very rapid pace due to the competition in practice. By season 2, he will be a key contributor off the bench. By season 3, he is a starter or 6th man, depending on the recruiting class that year. Can’t wait to watch this kid grow into a ball player.

42. bosshog
    2:42 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I haven’t seen him play, but from this brief glimpse it seems to me like he’s got a pretty decent mid-range game, a valuable asset for a PG who will be surrounded by a tremendous amount of talent tending to draw the defense away from him. Also, he seems to be able to finish through contact with pretty good body control; again, something valuable for a PG who defenses will not be able to key upon. Though he doesn’t seem especially quick or athletic, he does appeadr to be pretty smooth, Kind of like Doron. I can see him giving us some good minutes in relief next year and developing into a strong rotation player in time.

43. BlueLionKingX8
    3:08 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Heres a scenaro……Archie getting drated by the Miami Heat, 3 years on their practice squad (D-league) going against LeBron, Wade….etc. OFCURSE HES GOING TO GET BETTER!!!!! HES WILL GET DRAFTED BECAUSE OF HIS POTENTIAL.

Uk will be the MIAMI HEAT of college basketball next season# DHawk was offered a scholarship because of his potential, OFCOURSE HES GOING TO GET BETTER!!!!

Fyi…..THIS LOGIC DOSENT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO UNDERSTAND

44. BlueLionKingX8
    3:11 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

SCENARIO*

45. Lcat
    3:29 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I am surprised this kid was only rated 3 stars. he seems like a clone of Eric Bledsoe.

46. David from Bowling Green
    4:58 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

His ranking is lower than it would otherwise be because his AAU team did not play a high profile schedule, etc. Most national people do not know about him. He is a much better player than what he is ranked. A great get for UK.

47. BlueLionKingX8
    7:22 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

He dropped 29 on the Harrison twins earlier this season……#ENOUGH SAID

48. Diehardcatfan
    8:28 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

49. Diehardcatfan
    8:31 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

More hops!!! He can jump like Bledsoe

50. Jeff Garlin
    9:25 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Remember, this is highlights from one game and not a full highlight film from an entire season.

51. John
    2:11 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

This kid got a scholarship from cal so he can ball .. he won the state championship on a comeback win hes got heart and athletic ability. He had 20+ points and 10+ rebounds for a 6’1 guard. He has potential to be a good player. I am glad we picked this kid up Cal learned from his last mistake by not getting a similar player in Anthony Hickey who also led his team to a state championship in KY and was Mr.Basketball. Hickey starts for LSU and is pretty dang good. I would’ve much rather of had him than Ryan Harrow. I speak the truth.

52. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    7:46 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

HAWKINS WILL not BE ABLE TO “MUSCLE” COLLEGE KIDS IN THE LANE LIKE HE DID IN HIGH-SCHOOL. AND , WITH LIMITED SIZE AT 6’1″ WILL HAVE TROUBLE GETTING OFF HIS SHOT IN COLLEGE, SO, LET’S NOT GET ALL “GA-GA” !

53. lou eaton
    8:15 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

#47 sums it all up nicely. If he had 29 against the Harrison twins THEN he must be better than the highlights. Don’t recall Stockton ever getting up that high. AND this kid has the determination and grit to get better and better. In two years he will be competing for the PG starting job…

54. Don
    4:13 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I like his pull up jump shot. Looks like he knows when to drive and when to pull up. A lot better than Harrow trying to take it to the rim on every drive. He should be a good addition to the team