The Cavs are offering the #1 pick to New Orleans

According to NBA reporter Alex Kennedy, the Cleveland Cavaliers are still very seriously trying to shop around the number one pick in tomorrow night’s NBA Draft. Kennedy says that the Cavs have just offered the New Orleans Pelicans (still sounds weird to me) the #1 pick in a trade for Greivis Vasquez, the #6 pick and a 2014 first round pick. If the trade is accepted by the Pelicans, it’s hard to imagine that they would add Nerlens Noel when Anthony Davis was the 1st selection last year. The trade has not been accepted at this point in time.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

26 Comments for The Cavs are offering the #1 pick to New Orleans

1. Recruiting Insider
    4:33 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Gotta worry about the future, not the past!

2. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    4:37 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Two first round picks and an old guard for one pick in this years draft? Dunno about that.

3. Pel-No
    4:38 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

If the 2014 draft is truly loaded, no reason for Pelicans to make any trade that doesn’t come with significant restrictions to the 2014 pick (top 7 restricted at least).

4. Bad Intel
    4:39 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

That would be a terrible trade for New Orleans unless the 2014 pick is heavily protected.

5. Neil
    4:50 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

There is no way New Orleans accepts that deal.

6. gossie21
    4:51 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

No way you trade away 2 1st round picks to move up 5 spots in this weak of a draft.

7. Chaz
    4:53 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m not an NBA follower, but I want to see AD play in more than a few all-star games have a long career. I just don’t get the logo. At a glance, it’s not a pelican, I see a Third Reich eagle with a skull and a sword instead of a beak. Also what do the fans chant? Pelicans can can, yes they can can? T-shirts that say “I’m A Peli-Fan”? How about “I’m a Lycan”? Just silly.

8. gossie21
    4:53 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Now if the 2014 was an option to swap picks, top-3 protected. That might be worth looking at….. but then that all depends on whether New Orleans is really sold on one of the top-3 picks in this draft.

9. Minniefield2Bowie
    4:53 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

@2…I don’t know if i would call Vasquez old, he’s just 26. However, I do agree that’s a terrible trade for NOLA! They need to keep the #6 pick and draft anything but a 1 or 5 man. Vasquez averaged 9 assists per game last season. I would love for Bennett to fall to them and give NOLA the most athletic, young frontcourt in the NBA.

10. Inspector Gadget
    5:00 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

I think New Orleans should attempt a trade deal with the Clippers bringing Eric Bledsoe over for someone. Then draft someone like Bennett in the draft, this would still leave an opportunity to draft highly next year (top ten at least), pick up another quality young player possibly a two guard or small forword and have a solid young core for the future.

11. UKBlue
    5:03 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

This offer is so stupid the Cavs might as well try it to see if NO is dumb enough to take the offer. Get the #1 pick in a weak draft, to give up a player, give up the #6 pick, and give up your first round pick in next year strong draft, yea no thanks.

12. Big YMCA
    5:07 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

This wont happen, the Pelicans know how loaded next years draft is gonna be, they aren’t gonna trade up and give away a top 3 pick to get a potential flop like Porter or Mcelmore. The Cavs will pick Nerlens, anything else you hear (Besides a potential trade with the Timberwolves or Kings) is not going to happen.

13. Andrew
    5:08 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Is this a joke? the 2014 class is gonna be loaded! even if you had the 18 or 19 picks of next year would be equivalent of a top 7 pick, or top 5, this year. Plus an up and coming PG who was top 10 in assists, as well as the number 6 pick, where in this draft is just as good as the number 1. Dan Gilbert is drunk, or if the Pelicans accept this, they are stupid. however I would trade Eric Gordon straight up for the pick since he is a whiny, “fake” injury player who hates living in NOLA..

14. New At The KSR SHOP
    5:09 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

New Orleans attempt a deal with Charlotte? I mean if they want to trade MKG then send them Vasquez. Offer the number one pick for theirs now and a first rounder next year. I mean Jordan would go for that. Besides after he drafted some non-talent former tarheel, that would still leave one of the other top picks to follow for this years draft

15. Chris
    5:12 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Way too much for the number one pick. New Orleans will be in great position to draft Trey Burke at six.

16. Nerlens
    5:12 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

The offer isn’t even close to as bad as many of you are reacting right now for New Orleans. Also, next years draft is loaded at the Top(i.e. – Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Harrison, etc.) If the 2014 pick is Top 5 protected than what is New Orleans really giving up here?? Odds are strong that with another #1 pick and salary cap space(which they have), New Orleans won’t be one of the worst teams in the league next year. Even if they were, if the 2014 pick was protected than you are giving up two guys outside the Top 5 for a #1 pick….MUCH BETTER DEAL for NOLA than people think.

17. Nerlens
    5:15 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

14 – MKG isn’t on the market. That has already been debunked as the website that put the info out there (Sheridan Sports) is a bogus website.

12 – Yes, next year’s draft is loaded with superstars at the top, but that is why you would make the pick protected. If you say the 2014 pick is Top 5 protected than if New Orleans somehow was Top 5 than they get to keep the pick. This means that they wouldn’t miss out on the Wiggins/Parker/Harrison sweepstakes most likely.

18. Nerlens
    5:19 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

The big assumption people are making as to why the deal would be unfair is NOLA giving up a potential Top 5 pick next year. If you give up the #6 this year in a weak draft and lets just say for hypothetical purposes next year’s pick is the #10 pick. Would you give up the #6 pick, #10 pick, and Vasquez for a #1 pick? To me that seems a lot more intriguing to get your choice of players this year.

19. My Two Cents
    5:19 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

That’s just my two cents.

20. Austin
    5:20 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

16.. If the 2014 pick were unprotected, and you could get a Second rounder this year (The Cavs have two high second round picks) I would consider this trade if I am NOLA. However, I don’t think the player that goes #1 will necessarily be better than the #6 guy in this draft.

I would also trade Gordon if possible. I am not crazy about him or Vazquez. Vazquez would be great off the bench, but I don’t think he has the athleticism to be a great PG. I wouldn’t want Burke for that same reason. NOLA can be patient though. I think it is probably best to wait and see what you get with the #6 pick. Worst Case Scenario would be CJ McCollum, who should be able to do what Austin Rivers was supposed to do.

21. Austin
    5:21 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

20^ Sorry, I meant the 2014 pick should be protected.

22. Nerlens
    5:23 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

Next year’s draft is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER……agree 100% with that.

However, its primarilly better at the Top 5 because next years draft is loaded with potential superstars which this years draft class doesn’t really have. When you get to the late lottery in next years draft, its not much different than the late lottery in this years draft.

23. Austin
    5:30 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

I have read, and I agree, that many think there will be plenty of rotation players that come from this draft.. Few (if any) stars are likely to emerge. I don’t see the point in NOLA moving up to #1. There doesn’t seem to be any player that fits their needs and is a can’t miss. I would just sit back at #6 and take McCollum or Mclemore.

24. Nerlens
    5:40 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

20 – Agree with you…the protected part is key. NOLA would be crazy to give up a potential chance to have Wiggins/Parker/Harrison near the top. I’m not including Randle because I don’t know that NOLA would pair him with Davis, but if the pick in 2014 were protected I don’t think this is a bad deal.

25. Han
    6:09 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

NBA would still have to approve any trade, too.

26. john
    6:48 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know. Davis at power forward and Noel at center sounds pretty good to me. It would be very hard for teams to score inside or get a rebound against that in a few years. Then trade Lopez and someone else for a good PG and all of a sudden you have a pretty good nucleus to build on.