The Case for Darius Miller

It was fitting that the team’s only four-year player hold the net on Monday night.

Darius Miller’s #1 should be hanging from the rafters in Rupp.  There, I said it.

I completely agree with the need to retire jerseys sparingly.  The last UK player to have their jersey retired was #24 Jamal Mashburn, who left after three years in 1993. I understand that retiring a jersey should be a very rare occasion, but I think it’s been long enough. Darius deserves to be the next in that prestigious line.  It should really only be done for special players, players that mean something not only to the fans, but really the entire Commonwealth.  Accordingly, consider that of the thirty-six players to have their numbers retired, twenty are from Kentucky.  Darius would make a great candidate to be the thirty-seventh.  He was Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball, and also the Gatorade State Player of the Year.  Who’s had a better overall Kentucky career than Darius?

His college career, at first glance, doesn’t seem all that impressive.  He was never the best player on the team (although, with the teammates he had, that’s not an insult), but his overall numbers are pretty surprising.  He was one block and thirteen rebounds from having 1000 points, 500 rebounds, 250 assists, 100 blocks, and 100 steals.  That’s a pretty impressive overall stat line for a guy who we called “Disappearius” for almost two years.  Consider also that his career shooting percentages are 44.9 inside and 37.8 outside, and you’ve got a consistent four-year player that went to two Final Fours and won a title.  Not to mention the SEC Tournament MVP award he picked up last year after demolishing the favored Florida Gators.

I told a friend that I would really like to see Miller’s jersey retired, and he disagreed.  I can understand that.  Darius was never the go-to guy on the team, and even though I think his talent and poise were invaluable to their success, reasonable minds could differ.  This same friend, though, said that he would like to see Anthony Davis’ jersey retired, which I think is patently ridiculous.  I’ll be the first to admit that Davis may be the best player to ever put on a Kentucky uniform.  That’s a bold statement, but I don’t know that anyone could disprove it.  But to me, getting your jersey retired is about more than being the best player.  Or maybe it’s about less, depending on how you look at it.  I’m of the opinion that no one-year, or even two-year player should ever have their jersey retired.  Doesn’t matter how good they are.  I don’t want to see an 11 or a 23 hanging up, even if they do belong to two of the best players in modern college basketball.  A retired jersey should symbolize a mutual love between the player and the university, and between the player and the fans, that can only be formed over a few years with us.  I also think that only players that graduate from UK should be eligible for the honor.  That only makes sense; why would the school award a retired jersey for a player they didn’t award a degree?

But ultimately, this is why Miller is perfect: He chose Kentucky when they didn’t look good.  He came when very few people would, unlike the recruiting machine that is in place today.  His first year was our worst in a couple decades, but that didn’t stop him from wanting to be a Wildcat, no matter what.  He was eventually rewarded with great things, and he absolutely deserved them.  When Cal and the team arrived at Rupp to celebrate the championship, who did the Coach ask to speak at the podium to the thousands of fans assembled?  Who else would he pick besides Darius?  If Kentucky is the Commonwealth’s team, Darius is truly the Commonwealth’s Player.  He really has been a phenomenal representative of Kentucky residents for each of his four years at UK.

I get that retired jerseys are a rarity, but nineteen years is a long enough time to wait.  Throw that #1 jersey up in the rafters, because nobody will wear it with the same respect that Darius Miller gave it.

Edit: ‘3 goggles’ mentioned “Didn’t Miller also play in more games as a Wildcat than any other player?”  That’s a great point, and I was going to put that in there, but forgot.  Thanks for catching it.  Just another reason to honor a great player and young man.

Article written by Corey Nichols

145 Comments for The Case for Darius Miller

1. catman
    9:03 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

it wouldn’t be right to see anyone else wear that jersey, darius is the man

2. Miller Time
    9:04 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius ABSOLUTELY deserves to get his jersey retired. He represents everything about Kentucky basketball. Somebody who is willing to do what is the best for the team. Not to even mention the fact that he worked to get us the title and his 3 against Louisville was pivotal in that game.

3. Saltylongshanks
    9:04 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Very raftard take. Tubby, delk, and davis are the only guys who deserve jerseys hanging.

4. cody smith
    9:04 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Agree.

5. LIAM TOBIN
    9:05 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree 100% Corey. I wish they had done it on Tuesday.

6. Al's IndiCats
    9:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

You have a great Arguement CorEy, with all he’s been through, with the Clyde experiment and his sometimes not even getting into the score sheet, I’ll have to agree with you on this.It’s great to have #8!!!!!!!!!

7. Jay Bilas' nephew
    9:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk, Tubby, Prince, Bogans, Wall, and Davis. Then maybe Miller.

8. BlueGal
    9:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree. If nothing more than the fact that he went from the lowest of lows his freshman year to the highest of highs his senior year and never one did he utter a complaint. Great kid that well represented the university and the state.

9. Owensboro CatFan
    9:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Agree

10. strange brew
    9:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk, yes, right away.

Tubby, yes, years from now.

Prince, 100% yes.

Bogans, disagree.

Wall, no.

Davis, no brainer.

Miller is a Kentucky legend. He was born here and played his heart out for this team. His Jersey should be hanging.

11. Kyle
    9:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Tony Delk needs to be the next jersey up there.

12. capnmonkey
    9:12 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Who did crowd clap and cheer hardest for? Darius. Rupp got louder for him than anyone else over the past two years.

13. kampus korner
    9:13 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius Miller performed admirably for the University of Kentucky but did he play so spectacularly that he should have his jersey hung in the rafters? With all due respect, you have not convinced me that he is any more deserving than a multitude of other UK players who preceded him. Other than the “Unforgettables” every other person with a jersey hung in Rupp was an All American, a coach, a radio broadcaster (Cawood Ledford, “The Voice”) or Bill Keightly. I admire Darius a lot. He was a terrific player but it would be unfair to other UK players who came before him who made equal or greater contributions whose jersey is not hung in Rupp.

14. Bluerthanu
    9:13 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Wayne Turner, Prince, Delk (My personal favorite) all get in before Darius. I love Miller to death but don’t go throwing out jerseys in the rafters all willy nilly like.

15. Blue Bayou
    9:15 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. He has has a special career, from state high school champ to national champ. Darius is now a legend at UK. In the last few minutes of the Title Game, they put the ball in Miller’s hands to bring it up the court almost every time. The team trusted him. He went from the NIT to the Elite 8, to the Final Four, to a National Title.

I say maybe Prince, maybe Davis, DEFINITELY Miller. He is a True Blue Legend, and a real Kentucky boy.

16. UKBrent
    9:15 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Tubby and Delk need theirs retired, IMO. Others are debatable. We almost need an “honor ring” or something cheesy like that to celebrate the greats without putting too many banners in the rafters. And I agree with the 3 or 4 years requirement. You can be a great player, but I think it takes longer to be truely great in regards to the entire program. People like Prince, Bogans, Chuck, PPat, Darius, Sheppard, and a few others all truely know what its like to be a cat for life and should be remembered.

17. theTruth
    9:15 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

13) Totally agree. I understand the sentimental approach, but this is Kentucky and there has to be a standard. I know the unforgettables may not reach that standard, but they brought us from the near death of the program to prominence again. That said, still admire Darius.

18. Blue Through and Through
    9:16 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

#13. Darius won a NC. He is a Kentucky boy that chose us when we were down, and stayed with us with a new coach and new teammates year round. Delk needs to get in, but down the road Miller deserves it.

19. Cody
    9:16 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

John Wall and Davis both should have their jersey retired because they have changed Kentucky Basketball in the “New Era” of recruiting and got us out of the Dumps of BCG. However I think Miller is deserving as well for the crap he has went through from the beginning of his career til now a movie could be written about his journey much like the Unforgettable. But UK hasn’t even retired Delks Jersey or Mike Prat for what they did for UK and the program so Wall, Davis and Miller might be in line for a while. UK needs to get on the move with this…

20. Jeff Garlin
    9:16 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk, Prince and Tubby should be the next in line, IMO!

21. Jeff Garlin
    9:17 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

What about Patterson?

22. Cody
    9:17 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

*Also Tubby, Prince and Bogans are deserving as well

23. Champ
    9:18 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, I love Darius, but not only do you have to retire the names Matt mentioned yesterday first (Delk, Tayshaun, Bogans, Davis, Tubby, [Wall?], but if you retire Darius, then I think you have to open a box of other 3to4 year beloved players like Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, Saul Smith, JP Blevins, Steve Masiello, etc etc

K just kidding about the last 3, but seriously. If ppl think Darius already needs to be retired, then I can make a BETTER case for Patterson and Hayes.

24. Real UK Fan
    9:18 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Sorry to have to disagree, but as great as Miller’s run has been, he is not deserving of having his jersey retired. His play, while steady, for the most part, has not been spectacular. Had UK not won it all this year, I doubt the discussion would ever have come up about him. Davis is deserving of the honor as is Tony Delk. Bogans and Prince, while having had stellar careers have not convinced me they should also be included.

25. RYNO
    9:18 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Don’t speak for me Corey- I never called him “Disappearius”. I was a strong proponent of giving him the starting job all year. However, I trusted in Cal’s decision to make D1 fill yet another important role for this special team, and he did it perfectly. I agree wholeheartedly that his jersey should be retired. #8 wouldn’t be possible without Darius, and the 14th Final 4 wouldn’t have been possible either. The consummate teammate, and a great young man. I wanted that title for him the most.

26. tom
    9:19 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Disagree. I love Darius. but retiring a jersey for spending 4 years in college and going through a rough time at first is not the pedigree I believe we should assign to jersey’s in the rafters at Rupp.

There are many more players out there who have had a much bigger impact on Kentucky basketball than Darius. #7 above mentioned several. Throwing a jersey in the rafters just because the player is a good guy and very popular is not the right thing to do. I remember many times over the last four years that some fans trashed Darius for his streaky play. Last year, he was AWOL for many games but lit it up during the SEC tourney.

Again, I absolutely LOVE the guy. In fact, if I had a chance to have dinner with one player on this year’s team it would be Darius.

Decisions about retirement of jersies, especially at UK, is best done by those with a little more experience and history observing UK basketball. You are writing baed on the emotion of the moment. There is a reason Hall of Fame determination is made five years after a person retires. Keep the passion young man.

27. Cody
    9:20 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Patterson thats a good one too but not in top 5 in scoring and didnt win a title where as Prince and Bogans are in top 5 in Scoring and Miller one a title but I’d put Patterson in like Miller had to deal with being in the dumps with BCG and then resurrecting the program with Walls class.

28. Ugly muffin
    9:21 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m not in the mood to rip any of our players…and that’s what this will turn into. But Anthony Davis is an unreal force of the sort I’ve never seen before. If any man deserves a retired jersey it’s him.

29. NJCat
    9:22 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis… only KY player to be named Player of the Year, win a championship, and represent the University with the utmost class… MUST have his jersey retired, even if he was only here for one year.

.. and what are you talking about that Darius was not the go to guy this year? How many times did Cal put the ball in his hands when the Cats were struggling down the stretch? He hit more big shots this year than any player I can remember in a KY uniform. TOTALLY deserves to have his jersey retired.

30. RYNO
    9:23 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

24) You lost me when you said “Had UK not won it all this year…”. I case you missed it, they did win it all, and Darius played a huge factor in this team’s success all year.

23) Beloved players like JP Blevins, Masciello?? I hope you’re joking. The thing all those players have in common- No title.

31. Chuck
    9:24 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

You are far too caught up in the moment. Take a step back, give it a few years, then reevaluate your conclusion. Not saying your mind will change, but now is not the time for this argument.

32. Platinum Unis
    9:25 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

30 – Masiello won a title in 1998.

Delk, Prince and Bogans should all have jerseys up there. They’re all in the top 7 in all-time scoring. Tubby won a title so he should probably be up there too.

33. RYNO
    9:25 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

23) Make a better case for PPat or Meeks- How many Championships did they contribute to. How many Final 4’s did they contribute to? How many SEC Tournament MVP’s did they win?

34. Big Blue 66
    9:25 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Ok, for starters, my comments really have nothing to do with Darius, but you guys get waayyy too sentimental, they would retire everyones jersey if it was up to you.

35. BlueCamo
    9:27 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Miller if you read this then you should know we as Kentuckians are proud to have a player like you representing our state! We are gonna miss you and good luck to you in the future. They better put your jersey up!

36. eloy
    9:27 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

My heart wants to agree with seeing #1 retired, but the reiteration of the lame argument that “it’s been so long since we retired a jersey” is just stupid. That’s like saying “oh it’s been so long since we bought a house” so you go out and buy a house just because “it’s been so long.” Give me a break.

Argue from the stats (which is kind of a stretch for Darius), argue from the fact that he is from KY, argue from the fact that he went from bad team to NCAA champion, the Final Fours, the undefeated SEC regular season, the leadership, the humility and all the other intangibles that make a player loved by the fans.

Is all that enough to get a jersey retired? I think it’s a discussion worth having and I think both sides have a strong case. But as others have said, I think there’s guys in line that may deserve it more than Miller like Delk, Prince and Bogans.

But Miller is in the discussion.

Retiring a jersey isn’t something you do every 10 or 20 years – it’s not a habit – it’s an honor and tradition that should occur only when it is merited. If a slew of historical players come through and are deserving, you retire numbers. If we have a loooong drought of historic players, we don’t retire numbers because “it’s been so long.”

37. Sam
    9:29 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Tony is next.

38. QuickyRicky
    9:30 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

This is a well written article. I agree 100%. Thanks to Miller going through the bullshit b.c. days I’m glad he now has the ring to compensate his efforts.

39. Chuck
    9:31 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

33- using your argument for championships, I guess we should retire Polson’s jersey too.

40. 3 goggles
    9:34 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t Miller also play in more games as a Wildcat than any other player?

41. UK&KSR fan
    9:35 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #10 on all … yes Miller and Davis from this team should have jerseys retired.

42. Corn
    9:35 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

First of all, Darius lost his spot to a freshmen AS A SENIOR. Why on Earth would we retire jersey with that criteria? One of the most inconsistent players in the league, as a senior lost his spot to a freshmen and you all want to retire his jersey? Wow.

43. westerncat
    9:35 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree, but I think that there should be a rule that a number of years after graduation has passed before hanging from the rafters.

44. AMIRITE
    9:36 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

if eventually we retire Keightley’s name for washing jerseys for 48 years, we can make a case to
    retire anyone’s number for any reason.
    this reason would be that we care and respect the kid so much, and he was solid for 4 years.
    so let’s do it.

45. jlewis
    9:38 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree 100%. There is not a kid I can remember being part of this team that I have been prouder to have as a wildcat. He has embodied the spirit and resolve that we all believe is representative of this program. He’s done it with poise and humility and if you told him about whether he’d want his jersey retired he would shrug you off and give you 5 other options. If anyone deserves it more than Miller I would be hard pressed to name who they might be!

46. Jordan
    9:38 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

We are behind on hanging special players in the rafters, especially for being a “PLAYERS FIRST” program.
    T. Delk, D. Anderson, J.Sheppard, and Ron Mercer- All have at least one championship. All played big roles in getting them. Anderson and Mercer both went to two championship games and they would have won both if Anderson wasnt hurt. Sheppard was a part of two Championship teams.
    Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans should be hung up in the rafters because they had great careers at Kentucky.
    Patrick Patterson had a great career
    John Wall (First Number One Draft Pick from UofK) and Demarcus Cousins helped reshape the program along with Patterson. They paved the way for our Championship.
    Anthony Davis was the NCAA player of the Year on the Championship team.
    Darius Miller should be up there for his two final fours and being the perfect glue guy during our rise to the top. Definitley deserving.
    All these guys have cases to have there jerseys up in the rafters.

47. Steve Rogers
    9:41 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

He deserves it. Davis doesnot

48. Echo 1
    9:42 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

How about Vargas? He was there for 2 final fours. Love Miller, but no. Those rafters are sacred and should be reserved for special players, not solid players.

49. Steve Rogers
    9:42 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

No one and dones need to be included.

50. Steve Rogers
    9:43 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Echo 1 you are incorrect

51. UK&KSR fan
    9:46 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

There have been three national championship teams and two of those teams dominate since a jersey was retired. Bottom line it is past time to start hanging some jerseys.

52. Echo 1
    9:47 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Steve Rogers, we will agree to disagree.

53. Screech
    9:48 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

THEY SHOULD HAVE #1 HANGING

54. John Ellis
    9:48 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius was the go to guy in key situations, and it didn’t mean he always shot it. You’d go to him to either shoot, drive, post up or pass; he also was go to on defense, if you can be go to on defense. His only problem was knowing he was as good as he is, though given the beating he took from Billy Clyde it’s amazing he didn’t quit the game completely.

Billy Clyde wasn’t going to retire anyone’s jersey, he was too jealous. Pity Meeks didn’t play under Cal, then he’d be a no-brainer. The lists here are fine, but Chuck Hayes belongs on there too. The spine of those two overall one seeds in a row Tubby had, and a third team that came within a point of the FF were Hayes. He’s shown it in the NBA too, filling in when Ming went down and nearly getting Houston in the playoffs. You honor players like Hayes and Miller; Miller is more skilled, but Hayes did what Darius did in spots for three years the entire game. Could guard any position, a one man zone. Incredible heart.

55. Echo 1
    9:49 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

36 nailed it.

56. JCPostel
    9:51 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk
    Prince
    Wall
    Davis
    Miller
    ……….regardless of our opinions, we need to retire something. It’s been too long. Throw a shoe up there – I don’t care what it is. We’ve gone to 5 final 4’s and won 3 titles since the last time we retired a jersey.

57. jday
    9:52 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

can we put matt heissenbuttel up there?

58. BossHog
    9:53 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius got the national title, got to wear the net off the bus at Rupp and carry the trophy….and he was the only player allowed at the microphone…..how many players can say that? He will be forever remembered by the people of Kentucky as a key part of one of our eight championships……I think that is more than enough…..no need to “take away from his joy” by having some debate over who belongs in the rafters….Darius is already in the rafters twice, in the way that matters most.

59. Sooner Lawyer, Cat Fan
    9:57 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Question: who actually decides to retire a jersey? The boosters? The coach? The Board of Trustees? The Governor’s Special Blue Ribbon Commission for the Review and Evaluation of Jersey Retirement and Preservation?

60. John Ellis
    9:59 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

And as Matt Jones has pointed out, MIKE PRATT – as both a player and a broadcaster.

61. My Old Ky Home
    10:02 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I love Darius. I don’t think he belongs up there. I know we gave way to sentiment with the Unforgettables but this is an entirely different situation. Miller had a solid career. Let’s take a breath before we hang his jersey like we usually do.

As many are saying, Delk and Prince (and Coach Tubby) without question. Bogans probably too – that case is easy to make. AD eventually – he is UK’s most decorated player in one year.

After that, let’s wait and see. This one and done thing makes it hard on jerseys – lots of great one year players (Wall, Cuz, Knight). But you can’t compare the “career” stats. AD’s multiple awards makes it an easy decision for him.

62. the Big Dog
    10:05 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree about Miller. The Unforgettables set a precedent where you don’t need to be an All American to have your jersey up there. Mashburn’s jersey established that you don’t have to stay four years. Many of the jerseys tell us that a championship is not required (Dan Issel, Cotton Nash). So what exactly does it take to qualify? How bad would UK have been without Patrick Patterson during the Gillispe Era? He also stayed his junior year to help make the first Calipari team great. Like Mashburn, John Wall was the first star to commit to UK during dark times and he was an All American. Even though he stayed only one year, he started the run. I think both of these guys deserve consideration.

63. SteveM
    10:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

The case for Darius Miller reflects a rather neophyte view of UK’s basketball program and does not make the compelling case for hanging his jersey in the rafters. Granted the “must graduate first” rule is antiquated and must be abolished after the Anthony Davis experience. Tony Delk’s jersey must hang before any one else, followed by Prince and Davis. Miller, for all his popularity is in the league of Patterson, Hayes, etc., who may have been fan favorites but did not singularly accomplish what I believe the rafters were intended to represent. It is sufficient that these players remain fondly appreciated by the fanbase, but there is no way Miller should have his jersay hung on the basis of the criteria mentioned in the article. To do so, would open the flood gates on popular players (ala Brassow) and we would soon become UNC-like in hanging jersyes, just because we liked the players.

64. RYNO
    10:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

No. That’s obviously NOT my argument bud. My arguement is that he CONTRIBUTED to two Final 4’s and one Championship in his 4 years. While Polson might have been great in practice, I don’t think you can say that he really CONTRIBUTED to either.

65. AMIRITE
    10:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

First we need to determine the purpose of the jerseys hanging in the rafters –
    1) Recruiting / Random Rupp Visitor? Then we need to be hanging Prince, Rondo, Wall, Cousins, etc. for big name purposes.
    2) Stats while at UK? Then we need to be hanging people based on their career stats at UK.
    3) Fans ? If we’re hanging them for the fans, then the fans should be able to vote who they
    want to see hanging (Darius, Hayes, Patterson, etc.)

Or we could hang jerseys for all 3 criteria:
    Prince, Davis, Patterson might fit all 3 at this point. maybe someone else I’m forgetting.
    we need to determine first what we hang a jersey for, though.

66. RYNO
    10:08 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

39) Sorry- Above comment directed to #39

67. RYNO
    10:09 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

42) Wrong- He didn’t “lose his spot”, he filled the role his HC wanted him to play. And he filled it to perfection. NEXT!!!

68. BIGBLUEDAVE
    10:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Can someone tell me WHY there have not been any retired jerseys since ’92?
    It’s like they just decided after ’92 they weren’t going to retire any more jerseys. We’ve been to 6 Final Fours and won 3 National Titles since then and there are quite a few other jerseys that should be no brainers to be hanging in the rafters.
    Can anyone tell me why?

69. mike
    10:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

No way does any one and done gets a jersey retired, I think Tubby is a good person, but why, he was given a championship team and ten years latter straight to the NIT.

70. BlueNotes
    10:11 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Horse shit.

The rafters are about leadership, performance, character, exceeding expectations, making others around you better, dependability, and intangibles.

Miller was a fine player, in the mold of Larry Steele, or Freddie Cowan, or Derrick Hord, or Bobby Perry.

Stop being stupid

71. bung
    10:11 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

tubby no…put adolph up 3 more times…

72. c1doc
    10:12 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I love Darius! However, his jersey should not be in the rafters. He would not have a title without Davis or Gilchrist! Today is a different time. If he would have been high enough in the draft previously, he would have left early as well. I would start by putting up Delk or Wayne Turner! How about the guy who really won us a title in 96, Antoine Walker? Too much baggage?
    Or maybe even Ron Mercer? I would start by putting up a couple of kids from 96 & 98 before I would put up Prince or Bogans!!

73. Mack
    10:13 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk, Miller, Pratt, Prince, and Bogans in that order. Delk and Miller NC teams and Pratt for his playing time and his continued involvement with the CATS at various levels (think Calipari as our coach) should be the 1st 3.

74. wildcatfan4ever
    10:14 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius definitely needs his jersey hanging in the rafters of RUPP!!! As it was said earlier…..NO ONE would ever wear the #1 jersey quite like Darius!!! He’s is one AWESOME and SPECIAL CAT!!!! It’s also AWESOME to have #8!!! GO CATS!!!!!!

75. RYNO
    10:15 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

70) Hilarious- Why the hate? Miller fits the bill for every one of those adjectives you listed. You could argue exceeding expectations if you were a jerk, but after the NIT year and the direction UK was headed, I think we should all agree that Miller, who was a huge part of this team hanging #8 and going to a Final 4 last year, exceeded expectations.

Bobby Perry? Really!?!?!?- That’s just ignorance

76. Chase
    10:17 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Completely agree, also Delk, Prince and Tubby.

77. drew
    10:25 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

FYI, at Kentucky they don’t actually retire numbers anymore. If they “retire” someones jersey, the number can still be worn because there are already so many hanging up there.

78. RYNO

FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES- TWO

*2010-2011 SEC TOURNAMENT MVP
    *2011-2012 SEC 6th MAN OF THE YEAR

Stop being stupid.

79. Consider this
    10:25 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Wall and Cousins shouldn’t get their numbers retired, regardless of what they did in their short time here. They came here for Cal, not because of Kentucky. Darius came here because of the program and should go up before guys who just stopped by on the way to the NBA.

80. Wake up, Pal.
    10:39 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

With all due respect…retiring Miller’s jersey is an absolutely ridiculous idea. Clearly, sir, you haven’t watched enough Kentucky basketball. I know it’s easy to get caught up in all the recent hoopla of winning the 2012 title, but the bottom line is this: Miller was good, but he wasn’t THAT good. Hell, I think Wayne Turner — another player I consider good, but not great — should have his jersey hung in the rafters way before Miller. And don’t even get me started on Tony Delk; the fact that his jersey has remained unhoisted for so long is an absolute crime. Someone in UK Athletics should hang for that oversight.

81. Smiley Pete
    10:41 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

UK has requirements to hang in the rafters, I think you have to be inducted into UK’s hall of fame and then are eligible to be retired after 5 years? Also, they no longer retire numbers, the jersey is hung but the number remains available.

As pretty much everyone has said, before anyone from this team is even considered, we need to take a hard look at Delk, Tubby, Prince, Bogans, Hayes, and Patterson.

82. CliffFrankLou
    10:49 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

44, did you actually put any thought into that comment before posting it? Bill Keightley did much more than “washing jerseys” for 48 years.
    Retiring jerseys is a very privileged circumstance. The Unforgettables as a group was a different situation. If you don’t remember how low the program was as that point in time, one cannot see their situation in proper perspective. That was a very dark time and those guys helped provided a tremendous lift and damn near got to the Final Four.
    For Darius, I hope he fully enjoys how special all of this is and how much the BBN appreciates him. He has made wonderful contributions and will be loved hereafter. That said, if his jersey is retired, a precedent is set for less achievement than the current standard.

83. truefan
    10:51 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

UofL administrator: “Matt we want to be your friend”

Matt: “We don’t make friends with trolls.”

84. mudcreekmark
    10:52 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I cannot believe this many people are saying that Tubby should be honored with a jersey in the rafters. The same ones were probably the ones that were trying to run him out of town. What qualifies him? Because he won a NC with Pitinos players? If Rick Pitino hadn’t left him with all that talent there is no way he wins a championship. He broke the record of years without a Final Four.He couldn’t get recruits to come and when he did,(Rondo,Prince) he didn’t know what to do with them. How many players got better after playing for Tubby for 4 years? Zero.

85. Participant
    11:00 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Any one is elgible WHEN they graduate. Not before.

Also, using 84’s logic we should give gredit to BCG for “his” players, Liggins and Harrellson getting us to a FF last year and Darius helping us get to a NC this year. After all they all played under BCG.

The definition of a coach is one that can take his players and beat yours, then take yours and beat his. You may have heard of the man that said that…Bear Bryant, another former KY coach.

86. Wake up, Pal.
    11:01 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

84) I am on the fence about whether or not Tubby deserves a jersey in the rafters. That said, your comment that “zero” players “got better after playing for Tubby for 4 years” is completely ludicrous. How about Chuck Hayes, for one (very notable) example?

87. Ryan
    11:07 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Absolutely without a doubt! Darius has more than earned his place among the rafters in Rupp!!!

88. Participant
    11:09 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

And another thing. Being from eastern Ky (therefore a toothless, meth head, inbred hillbilly, except when we come to central Ky to spend money)I believe unequivocally that any animosity toward Coach Smith has its basis in racism. And I am white.

Put his name up at Madness in October of this year.

89. Wake up, Pal.
    11:09 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

87) Really, buddy? “Absolutely without a doubt!” Lay off the crackpipe.

90. Dar1us
    11:11 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

How can you not retire his #1 jersey? To restate the facts that, he’s a four year player who has two FF’s and a national championship. Most importantly, on top of that he has played in the most games EVER by a UK player with 152!!

91. pcefrog5
    11:19 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

If this is not rafter worthy, then nothing is:

National Champion
    Final Four MOP
    First Team All-American
    National Player of the Year (all 6 major awards)(Only UK player to do so)
    National Defensive Player of the Year
    National Freshman of the Year
    NCAA Freshman Single Season Blocks Record
    4th Place on NCAA Single Season Blocks Record
    SEC Player of the Year
    SEC Defensive Player of the Year
    SEC Freshman of the Year
    First Team All-SEC
    SEC Freshman Single Season Blocks Record
    SEC Conference Single Season Blocks Record
    UK Single Season Blocks Record
    UK Freshman Season Rebounds Record

92. pcefrog5
    11:26 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

@90 so your saying Darius should go up in the rafters before Wayne Turner? Who, by
    the way, was a 4 year player with 3 FF, 2 National Championships, and has played
    the second most games ever by a UK player.

93. Lona Rorer
    11:28 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Yes, No.1 should be retired!! There is no question about it. I was born & raised in Cynthiana Ky. I have followed Ky Bball my whole life. When a player has played in mire games that is the 1st reason to retire his jersey. But, add St. Champs, Mr. Ky basketball, 2012 NCAA Champ, & these just start to skim the surface. I hope my granddaughter gets the experience to watch a player like Miller in her lifetime. I have been lucky enough to see several. Darius belongs up there with greats like Deron Feldhaus. These players not only play ball they ARE Kentucky & always behave with class!
    Darius Miller’s jersey should be retired hanging in Rupp next to our other fantastic Ky. Basketball Players so we never forget what he has given this state!!

94. YourBoyBlue
    11:43 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

I respect what Miller has done, appreciate his contributions to the University of Kentucky, but there is no way on God’s green earth that he deserves his jersey up in the rafters.

How can you glorify the fact that he stayed 4 years when the only reason he did is because he absolutely wasn’t going to get drafted after either of his first 3 seasons. He’s possibly a 2nd round pick this year (which means no guaranteed contract).

Miller should be remembered as a champion, and that is special. But the guys in those rafters are legends because of the legendary things they did on the court. Miller’s play while at UK doesn’t merit that kind of status.

95. Wake up, Pal.
    11:43 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

93) If this was Darius Miller from Atlanta, GA…or Darius Miller from Indianapolis, IN….your opinion — and the rest of the pro-retirement crowd’s opinion — would be completely different. Don’t be blinded by where Darius was born. It’s a nice trivia bit, but it should have NOTHING to do with whether or not his jersey gets retired.

Also, I was all-state in high school; should my jersey be hanging from Rupp’s rafters? High school stats are completely irrelevant to this discussion, nevermind the fact that I’m sure Darius’s stats were dwarfed by MKG’s, John Wall’s, etc.

96. C'mon Time Warner
    11:46 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Felhaus, Pelphrey, Woods, Farmer are not as deserving as most other players mentioned above. It takes more than being ‘beloved’ to have your jersey retired. ‘Favorite player’ doesn’t mean you hang their jersy in Rupp. It means you hang their jersey in your basement.
    Davis should have his hung very soon. His resume in 1 yr is incredible. See #91.

97. SERDI
    11:47 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Turner for sure. Darius should be considered seriously but so should Mike Pratt. Tubby’s drive to blow the program up outweighs him winning in 98 with Rick’s players. NO to Smith.

98. sangaman
    11:48 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Co-sign retiring Miller’s jersey.

99. YourBoyBlue
    11:48 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

#88 My disdain for Tubby stems from his recruitment of Saul and that Saul actually saw meaningful time on the court.

Just to be fair, if Coach Cal recruited Saul I’d hate him, too. So you can take that race card and stick it someplace uncomfortable.

Tubby won a championship with Pitino’s players and that earned him 5 extra undeserved years as the leader of our program.

100. CatDaddy
    11:49 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

He deserves to be in the rafters as much as P.Pat, Prince or Bogans. The only unforgettable that deserves to be up there is Mash I dont care were the program was at the time if we are talking “Special” players the only unforgettable that was “special” wash Mash. Dont get me wrong I loved Ford Pelphry and company but they were not any where close to being as good as D. Miller.

101. rockatao
    11:49 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius Miller has been my favorite player for the past four years. I love the way he plays the game of basketball. But I could not support retirement of his jersey. On the other hand, Anthony Davis goes to the top of the list in my opinion. I have followed UK basketball for 60 years, since 1951. I have never seen a UK player dominate games the way he has done this year. Keep in mind that no previous UK player has ever been the consensus POY in college basketball. How do you keep his jersey out of Rupp’s rafters. And while we’re at it, let’s get a jersey ready for the day Calipari retires.

102. Dar1us
    11:53 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

@92 I believe Turner should have his jersey hung too! He was an unbelievable player and helped us return to our place at the top of college basketball. I don’t know why his jersey isn’t retired. These are two players that bled blue the most of all the other players and got us what we’ve wanted for so long…a national title! (or 2 in Turner’s case)

103. Musehobo
    12:13 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I heard that Delks jersey is already hanging…at Ashley Judd’s house.

104. JohnW
    12:21 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius deserves to be in the Kentucky State Athletic Hall of Fame with a State Championship, Under 21 Gold Medal, and National Championship but his career as a Wildcat does not deserve his jersey to be retired. He had an unbelievable SEC tourney his junior year but just as he finally looked comfortable taking over games he disappeared completely in the Finsl Four against UCONN. He came off the bench his senior year and did so admirably hitting big shots and calming his team when things got rough. But that doesn’t equate to having your number hanging from the rafters at Rupp. Tony Delk, Tayshaune Prince, Wayne Turner, and Tubby Smith all deserve to be there long before Darius’ name can even be mentioned in the conversation.

105. spookykim
    12:26 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#103 – hilarious! Love Darius, but agree with most here that Delk, Tubby, & Patrick all deserve it more than he does.

106. Charlie
    12:33 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Tony Delk, Darius, Tayshaun Prince, Keith Bogans, and Tubby

107. C-A-T-Z
    12:35 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Tony Delk first and immediately. Then Tubby, then Davis and Miller.

108. Yougottacalmdown
    12:37 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

yes, you are WAY too much in this moment. Darius is a solid playerr on a National Championship team. But the fact of the matter is that he’s never been better than the third best player on any of the four teams he played on during his career. Players can get in the radfters on either their stats or the “emotional vote” ie. unforgettables. Being the sixth man on a #1 team that fulfilled expectations doesn’t cut it on the “emotional vote”. Stats just don’t cut it either. Player B has two National Championships while Player A has one. Who you putting in the rafters out of these two guys?

Player A: 1248 points 487 rebounds 278 assists 8.2 ppg 45% fg 38% 3fg

Player B: 1170 points 381 rebounds 494 assists 7.7 ppg 49% fg 32% 3fg

109. YepMe
    12:39 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Delk and Tubby and Cal… that’s it right now.

110. Caleb
    12:49 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Hanging a jersey from the rafters of RUPP should not be a hastily-made decision. I don’t know that I would ultimately have an objection to hanging Darius Miller’s jersey, but the case can be made for several other players since Mashburn. Also, isn’t Darius the only UK player to have won the “Triple Crown” (Mr. Kentucky Basketball, KY High School Sweet 16 championship, and NCAA championship)?

111. No
    12:57 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius had no choice but to stick with UK from NIT to Final Fours, it’s not like he was the engine behind it, it was Calipari, not Darius Miller. He was a solid role player, far from a special player. You don’t hang a banner just because people loved him for being a good kid. 36) He didn’t go from NIT to National Champion, UK did thanks to Calipari, maybe if he was a standout player that was the driving force behind UK’s transition, but he most certainly was not. I just don’t see how we can retire a guy’s jersey if he lost his starting spot his senior year to a freshman.

112. No
    1:00 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Darius should get it because he stuck with UK for 4 years? He had no choice, he wasn’t going pro any of those years.

113. No
    1:03 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

He didn’t even average double digits in ANY stat slot his SENIOR YEAR because he lost his spot to a better FRESHMAN. This is not the jersey you retire.

114. Go Darius Go
    1:06 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Not to harp on the a KSR error, but correction is in order. This picture of Miller appears to be from the South Region, not Monday night. Sorry….

115. Santa
    1:10 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Hell why don’t we just retire everybody’s jersey

116. Mark J. Burke
    1:13 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

No disrespect to Darius. I think there are plenty of players we left out that should be hanging up in the rafters before he gets up there. Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Ron Mercer, Nazr Mohammad, Wayne Turner, Jeff Shepherd, Tayshaun Prince, Keith Bogans, Patrick Patterson! I think all of them should be hanging!! I would even put Tubby Smith in the rafters! It is not easy to coach a team into a NCAA Champion. Any doubters? How many coaches could have done what Calipari has done? Any coach who has won a championship should be lifted. Period!

117. UK's Freshmen
    1:18 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Oh, for Chris-sakes.

118. Paducah Fan
    1:45 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Yes to Darius Miller and no to all who spent only one year in a wildcat uniform (Wall, Davis)

119. YourBoyBlue
    2:04 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#118 Davis did more in one year than many did in 4, especially Miller.

If you neglect the one-year players just because they are one-year players, does that mean you don’t recognize the championship these guys just won our university because they aren’t “career” players?

Thats hypocritical.

120. Paducah Fan
    2:20 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#119 that championship was also won by Miller, Jones, and Lamb all not one and done players

121. westkycatfan
    2:21 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

there is 3 name that should b in the rafters they are D.MILLER, Tubby Smith, and Pratrick Patterson. P pat has a degree and was one of BBN all time faves just my opinion

122. westkycatfan
    2:25 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

to all those that dont think miller shouldnt b in the rafters think about this. if it wasnt for miller no final 4 last year and championship this facts are facts

123. Wake up, Pal.
    2:33 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Based on the drivel being expelled here (see previous commenter for a perfect example), I am just thankful that the general public doesn’t get to vote on these matters.

124. Kyboy
    2:36 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Miller was a good player but the rafters are for the all time greats and as good as he is he is not an elite player. With that being said I still argue that Wall doesn’t belong in the rafters either. Davis, Delk, and Prince are the only players in the last 15 years that we need to see those jerseys hanging.

125. Ally Barton
    2:37 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

your friend is an idiot….but nonetheless, Miller is no Mashburn or any of the Unforgetables–I like him immensely, but here, sorry, you are showing your age…

126. Ally Barton
    2:43 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

And for all of you too young to remember, we went 18 years last time (1996), came out of probation, had a team of players many of whom we really knew (and who were from KY–I went to classes with a number of them), and who beat their opponents by over 22 ppg–love this year’s team, but don’t think for a second this team or title #8 (or celebration) compares to The Untouchables–sorry, but that’s the truth….and I remember the ’78 title as well….

127. Ally Barton
    3:02 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Ok–4 from KY, and 3 from TN, 1 from WV, and 1 from GA for those of you getting ready to give me S%^T…but many long-term and, relatively, local…

128. Ally Barton
    3:04 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

for once I toally agree with Pat Forde, again, much as I love this team:

“This isn’t even the best Kentucky team of the past 20 years. That title still belongs to the 1996 Wildcats, who went 34-2 with seven NBA players and a 10-deep rotation. And it’s not particularly close.

The average margin of victory in the NCAA tournament for the ’96 team was 21.5 points. The average margin of NCAA tourney victory for this UK team was 11.8.

The average margin of victory in a 16-0 run through the SEC for the ’96 team was 23.6 points — and the SEC that season put two teams in the Final Four and four in the Sweet 16. The average margin of victory in a 16-0 run through the SEC for this UK team was 16.4.

So don’t get carried away thinking of where this team ranks among the all-time greats. The coach of the ‘Cats isn’t……”

129. YourBoyBlue
    3:16 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#120 If the 6th man of the 2012 National Champion Kentucky Wildcats gets his jersey hung then you might as well hang them all up there.

He was the 6th most productive, the 6th best player, and during his 4 years he was never better than the 5th best player. Rafter material….Heck no!!

130. Daddyfrow55
    3:38 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

A fantastic kid who has represented the Commonwealth and UK with dignity and respect for his entire basketball career…Yeah he deserves to have #1 retired! He may very well be my favorite player of all time just for his character and ability to come in and calm the team or create a spark when needed. Just because he was so unselfish(sometimes to a fault) and deferred to his teammates(mostly NBA lottery picks) don’t hold that against him.

131. Ally Barton
    3:47 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

you’re around 25, right?

132. Ally Barton
    4:02 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and for anyone pushing for Tubby, please get help–he took this team and program so low we looked for Billy G for help…give me a break!! 10-loss Tubby??? (Who lost like 15 this year in an overrated Big 10)!!!!

133. Paducah Fan
    4:06 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#129 Heck yes he is rafter material. A four year kid who stuck around with no controversy surrounding him. I agree with the writer getting your jersey retired is more than being the best player.

134. Professor_Nash
    4:06 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree 100% without him this title does not happen

135. Professor_Nash
    4:11 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I mean Farmer and Pelphrey are up there and they did what exactly that was more important to the program than Darius?

136. Ally Barton
    4:27 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

You mean staying and playing their asses off for a new coach and new system when we couldn’t even play in the post-season because UK had been black-balled and was at the lowest point in its long history, and then playing so hard the first year we COULD go to the post-season they willed us, as starters, to the Elite 8 and the the best game ever played???….you must not have been there if you think Miller or almost anyone else in out long history compares to any of the Unforgetables–that’s why the retirement of their Jerseys was so special–sorry, but lots of guys gave their all to this program, with class, for 4 years, but it takes much more…don’t dilute it please…

137. J Bo
    5:31 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

what about Padgett?

138. G Wayne
    5:50 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

HANG #1!!!

139. Santa
    6:42 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#130 Retiring a jersey isn’t about how much we like him and how well he “represents the commonwealth” it’s about how fantastic of a BASKETBALL player he was, not so much as how good of a person he was, there have been players that have accomplished more than him in a matter of 1-2 years, so why don’t we retire jerseys for wall, knight, cousins, and davis? And did you forgot he lost his starting spot to a Freshman when he was a Senior? If you think Darius deserves to have his jersey retired just because you liked him or you think he had a great attitude, than I thank God you are not in charge of the retirement of jerseys because there probably wouldn’t be any room left in Rupp for any more jerseys.

140. figby
    6:46 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

how about hanging a pair of “jorts” from the ceiling:)

141. C2
    6:53 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Wall, Cousins, Knight, and Davis do not deserve to have their jerseys hung in the rafters at Rupp. The same goes for the majority of players the last 3 seasons. All of these players came for two reasons: Coach Cal and the NBA. That’s it. Not Kentucky. If Jones and Lamb were to stick around a little longer, help the team, and grow their stats, then they should be considered too. Miller’s been the glue holding the team together all year. He’s been the leader, the experienced upperclassman. He deserves to continue to play at the next level, and deserves whatever recognition that can be given to him. Davis deserves every award he’s received this year, but a retired jersey shouldn’t be one. Next season he’ll be gone just like Wall, Cousins, and Knight. Then someone else will come in and that’s who we’ll talk about. These one-and-done players contribute to the program (in that they bring in more one-and-done players) but they leave, they don’t last, and they don’t have the same type of impact players like Darius have on the program.

I don’t know if Darius necessarily deserves his jersey retired right now. Doing so would be pretty reactionary. In the future, definitely yes. I would agree that there are a lot of jerseys that need to be retired and UK needs to get on that. (Tubby’s not one of them though.)

142. Travis
    8:31 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

It’s weird to me that no one has mentioned Darius’ gold medal from the 2009 USA Under-19 tourney. A big accomplishment because he was one of the teams most valuable defenders. As he was for the 2011 World University team. Cuonzo Martin said it best, he was the one player that they could not afford to take off of the floor. Now on to my opinion about the retirement of his jersey. I would say that it does deserve to be retired. Just not at this moment. If they have yet to retire Delk’s, Tubby’s, or Prince’s then they should come first. Darius is the opitomy of class, determination, detication, and success. I have utmost respect for him and that is why he is one of my favorite all-time players. If I was a team drafting late in this years NBA draft I would take Darius in a heartbeat if he was still available. However, there are too many names that are still out there for retirement and Darius should have to wait. I would definitely put it up if these others were already up because Darius, in my eyes, is deserving of it! Best wishes Darius! You will be truly missed! GO BIG BLUE!!!

143. Jvice
    10:09 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Ally Barton and c2 are about the only posters on this thread who know anything about uk basketball. One and dones in the rafters? No one over the age of 25 wants that crap. Learn some history and get some perspective a few years down the line. Now is not the time to be discussing davis and miller going up.

144. Johnna
    11:30 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree that UK is behind on retiring jerseys, and there are several that should be retired before Darius’. But with that being said, Darius’ #1 should eventually be retired too. The one thing that most people say about this team is that they are very unselfish. That starts with Darius, he lead by example. We never got to see Darius’ full potenial because of his teammate first attitude. Darius has taken a backseat to all the big name recruits Coach Cal has brought in over the past 3 years, and even so he came up big for us when we needed him to. He was the glue for this national championship team. Darius came to UK because it meant something to him to play for UK. These one-and-done players come here because they cannot immediately go to the NBA after high school. Darius was here for the complete resurrection of UK basketball.

145. Jo
    11:55 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Ever since I saw the picture of a scrawny little kid wearing a Kentucky jersey standing next to Tony Delk, I knew Darius was special. He was a Kentucky kid who loved UK, wanted only Kentucky when he could have had more playing time somewhere else, survived the Gillispie years, kept showing up when people started calling him “Disappearius”, and represented the team, the university and the state with grace and class. The jersey should be retired. Get it done and let’s move on.