The Blue/White game will be a ticketed event with reserved seating

(UK Athletics/Chet White)

Unlike in previous years when excitement wasn’t nearly as high, you’ll need a ticket to get into the 2013 Blue/White game.  The annual UK Football Blue/White Spring Game will be a ticketed event this year with reserved seating.

A special availability for season ticket holders for the free tickets will begin Thursday, Feb. 28, at 9:00 a.m. Current season ticket holders will receive an e-mail this week detailing how they may obtain up to eight reserved seats.

UK students may obtain their free tickets beginning Thursday at 9:00 a.m. at the Joe Craft Center ticket office. Students may pick up two tickets per ID.

Remaining tickets will be available to the general public through TicketMaster beginning Monday, March 11 at 9:00 a.m.

Admission is still free, although there will be a small charge per ticket through Ticketmaster.

The game is scheduled for April 13 at 7:00 p.m.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

76 Comments for The Blue/White game will be a ticketed event with reserved seating

1. blueaville
    2:06 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

They should assign seats in certain sections of the stadium. Why make it more difficult? The place is not going to be sold out so just open the stadium so that people that decide on the day of the game can just show up.

Why does there have to be so much drama with everything?? It’s PRACTICE.

P.S. a “small charge” does not equal FREE. I think I’ll pass

2. uktailg8er
    2:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

When you are trying to get people to show up, why would you put up a barrier like this? smh

3. Mc
    2:11 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 1 & 2 and will assume a lot more people are going to feel the same way.

4. Mikeh
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ticketmaster doesn’t know small when it comes to charges. More hoops to be jumping through

5. Are UKidding Me
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Wow…a few months after firing his 2nd worst major hire and alluding to a bigotry as the facilitator, Mitch is charging for tickets to a practice for UK football. Just….wow.

6. Sell out
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Dislike the involvement of ticketmaster. But this should absolutely be a sold out CWS. Don’t see a $2 service fee holding people back. Place will be packed and rocking for a PRACTICE. Absolutely unbelievable!!!!! #PackCWS #StoopsEffect

7. Musehobo
    2:16 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Tardinals considering camo jerseys…wow

Sorry to link this awful site, caught this on facebook.

8. Mitch is a Moron
    2:25 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Pefect example of the stupidity of Mitch Barnhart. The moron can’t get out of his own way. Saying there is excitement is one thing; generating it is another. Twit.

9. Kristen Geil's Abs
    2:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If you need me, I’ll be flexin’.

10. Ginge
    2:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

You all are ridiculous. If all you are going to do is bitch and moan, go somewhere else.

11. Bradley
    2:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Yikes. I know the attendance will now be 4 shy of what it was going to be. A. I’m not paying ANY fn processing fee for a “free” ticket. B. I don’t like online purchasing to begin with. Had me card compromised before and don’t want it to happen again. Maybe Stoops will call Mitch again to bail him out. What an out of touch buffoon Mitch is.

12. Pacman
    2:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Maybe they should win a few games before they expect people to pay to see practice. This should put a real damper on the “buzz” around spring practice. I know it has for me and I go to the Blue-White game every year…maybe not this year.

13. Mitch is a Moron
    2:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget to email Mitch to tell him how stupid he really is. [email protected]

14. Mc
    2:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#10) I’m not bi*ching. To me it’s the principle. I considered going, but now I won’t. It’s a free game and shouldn’t involve Ticketmaster. People have opinions and don’t need someone like you bashing them for speaking their mind. I hope it’s a packed house, but for someone like me an hour or so away, I’m just going to pass now.

15. Happy days
    2:51 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Mitch! as a season ticket holder i am excited to get in the blue white game without utter chaos. This will be an exciting event and cant wait to experience what its like to have real coaches. The people who continue to cry are the people who will never be happy. Support the BBN or stay home. Go Cats!!!

16. Maxwell
    2:53 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ya’ll are funny. Whining and complaining about a 2 dollar fee from ticketmaster. I’ll be there cheering on my Wildcats like the rest of the diehards.

17. DantheCat
    2:54 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m going regardless , but this idea is crazy…It’s FREE and should be on a first come first serve basis…I’m a season ticket holder also and see ZERO need for this…

18. Eric
    2:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

14- You can call the 800 number if you dont want to do it online. Stop making excuses… I know it has to be tough to live an hour away and maybe have to pay a 1.00 service fee.

You are a great example of what is wrong with the UK football fanbase. Everyone wants success, but no one is willing to do their part. I live in cincinnati. Having to reserve a ticket online isnt going to stop people like me who really want to be there.

Real fans come out and support their team. We want to compete with the best of the SEC… do you think their fans would gripe this much about having to reserve a ticket online?

19. Eric
    2:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is meant to give the event some organization. This way there wont be people fighting over seats. They must expect to have a decent size crowd to do this.

20. Terry Blue
    3:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think this means you still can’t show up like you were planning to do and go to the game. They are just ticketing probably the prime seating sections and trying to create value for a ticket that should have value

21. jpo
    3:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

5. you didn’t read the post, did you.

22. Bluieville
    3:18 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#1 is a POSER and a MATT JONES Stalker . He goes by Cardinal Connie in the rednbluefans.com cesspool. Check her out and laugh.

23. Jake_GOCATS
    3:20 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree with the need of assigning tickets, but the principle behind a service fee from ticketmaster doesn’t make the “purchase” free. However, I am still going just like I do every year.

24. Mc
    3:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#19) You’re right, I’m not a diehard UK football fan. I’m one of many that would like to pull for a local team but have merely cheered them on since A) I attended UK, and B) I’m a diehard basketball fan that would like to begin cheering on the football team.

There are diehards, and there are fans that I’m sure Stoops would like to convert their basketball passion to football to make the football program relevent.

Now the question becomes, can this event have organization without involving Ticketmaster?

The SEC schools that sell out spring games have established enough legitimacy to do this. UK hasn’t done this yet.

25. Bluieville
    3:22 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#14 Just walk up to the gate and walk in. You dont really think they will keep people out, do you?

26. jhnny
    3:29 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

NO NO NO NO NO….UK has dropped the ball. And everything was going so well. They should only have made this a ticketed event NEXT YEAR, if it became necessary. This barrier is only going to limit the number of people going. The idea was to encourage non-season ticket holders an opportunity to get excited about the team and perhaps purchase season tickets.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb UK. And by the way UK, I am not paying a service fee to go to this game. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

27. Mc
    3:32 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’ll go to a game or two but not the spring game.

Was anyone there last year?

Can this be right? Wonder what sort of crazy demand lead to the involvement of Ticketmaster?

28. Eric
    3:33 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Again… if the 1.00 service fee will keep you away, stay away. You are most likely one of those who boo the team, and those who want to be there will have more fun without having to endure you anyway. Stay at home and the true fans will show up, tailgate, and have a good time.

I cant believe people are making a fuss about this. Get a life.

29. Mc
    3:34 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#18) you’re a real fan so I’m sure you were there last year. Is the link I posted accurate…4,500 in attendance, or is this a typo?

30. Orange Juice
    3:35 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I predict about 18,000 to attend because Keeneland is running. Let’s not get too carried away. There will be a ton of empty bleachers.

31. Eric
    3:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

29- Yes i was there last year. Wouldnt you think they expect more people there this year? That is why they are doing this. If 30-35,000 people show up (which is what some are estimating), you wouldnt want them all trying to bum-rush for the best seats. It would be a mess.

32. Orange Juice
    3:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Joker would have gone head to head with Keeneland

33. Mc
    3:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I support the team, and when I’m there I cheer. My point is that UK isn’t relevent enough in football to do this at this point. I’ll find out how wrong I am in a month and a half. I think there’s a way to do it without involving Ticketmaster.
    Also, I’m in Downtown Cincinnati right now if you want to debate this in person.

34. Mc
    3:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If they reserve seats for students and alumni, I expect that those remaining would not bum-rush each other at a spring game to get their seats. Maybe I just expect more decency out of our fans.

35. Cats
    3:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Good call by Mitch. It would be chaos this year without assigned seating and the ppl complaining now would have been like, how could Mitch not have seen this coming? STOOOOPS!

36. Mc
    3:41 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#35) We’ll find out in a few weeks. If it’s packed, great, maybe Mitch was right. If it’s not packed, then who knows? I just can’t imagine chaos after the students and alumni are allotted their tickets. I think the rest would fill in, while there’s still about 25,000 empty spots. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

37. UKfanNKY
    3:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#33 I agree with you!! I’m in downtown Cincinnati too, work here…..GO CATS!!!

38. HeftyLefty
    3:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I also agree #33. I’ll attend some games, but not this practice. That’s my choice. Guess not going to this practice makes me a bad fan, although I will be cheering loud at a few home games. Still good to have a buzz around the progam.

39. Cats
    3:49 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

36) All I’m saying is that when the BBN is excited, there is no telling… We are the only fanbase to ever sell out a music city bowl and if Florida fans, who are the most unpassionate, can bring 40k to a spring game I think we can do more especially with the excitement around Stoops

40. Mc
    3:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree with you 36. I know how BBN can be. I just think if it’s year 1 of this rebuilding process that this could have waited a year or two out of goodwill. If it sells out great. I just think there’s going to be about 25,000 empty seats. The school can allot tickets to students and alumni, and the remaining 10-15,000 that show up first come first serve can just find a good seat anywhere else. I just don’t think there would be a bum-rush, but we’ll see how many show. Maybe I’ll be wrong.

I went to the UK/FSU Music City bowl. Think it was 2007. I also went because it was New Year’s Eve in Nashville. Awesome time.

41. Mc
    3:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#39

42. Katmandu
    3:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

C’mon man, we talkin’ bout practice!

43. jhnny
    3:59 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

They will be lucky to have 20,000 there. And honestly, that’s not a bad crowd for a Spring game. The ticketing is completely unnecessary and will be a barrier for some, whether those on here want to admit it or not. Its just a stupid idea.

44. Reasoning
    4:00 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Here’s what happened when the Ravens let folks in with no ticket for their Super Bowl Celebration….anytime someone got up to get a drink or go to the restroom, kids would run in and take their seats. Fights ensued..kids got lost in crowds…it was total chaos. If you want a family environment where you can run to the restroom after tailgating….then get a ticket!!!!!

45. Cats
    4:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

40) I don’t totally disagree with you. I’m sure they’re doing this as a precaution but if you’re right and there are 25k tickets left, hopefully they’ll make an announcement a couple days in advance so that ppl who didn’t have tickets can be assigned to the upper deck or something

46. Eric
    4:04 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I dont understand… We put a man on the moon. Haha if a 1 dollar fee stops someone from making it into a spring football game, that person has bigger problems.

There will be plenty of good seats for those who want to walk up and buy a ticket. Why is this such a big deal?

47. hoag17
    4:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

i’m a huge football fan. it’s not the amount of the fee, it’s the whole point. this is a practice. i don’t know if i will be attending or not now….the weather is so iffy, i’m not going to sit in rain & cold to watch practice….fyi i go to spring game every year and the women’s clinic (except last) and fan day, i’m not one who usually complains.

48. Terry Blue
    4:08 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Nooone has answered my question, see#20, but don’t see why this would keep “anyone” away, as you can still go and watch the game without a previously purchased ticket. All this will do is reserve “some” tickets before gametime

49. jhnny
    4:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#44- comparing the attendance to a Super Bowl Championship celebration and a UK Spring Game is a bit of a stretch, no?

50. Mc
    4:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#44. If you think the stadium will be completely packed for the practice, and fans will be as crazy for this practice as they would a Super Bowl celebration then I get your logic. If there’s going to be about 20,000 empty seats, and students and alumni have tickets while the rest is first come first serve, then I do not.

51. hoag17
    4:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

also, why can’t we pick them up at ticket office without a fee? i don’t mind the ticketing, except our whole tailgate group usually sits together and now only 8 of us can

52. jhnny
    4:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#20, #49- No, you are wrong. Read the release- http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022613aaa.html

53. Mc
    4:11 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#45. Good point.

54. Terry Blue
    4:16 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

No #52, you’re wrong, Larry Vaught has confirmed with UK that you can still go as always for free. Just as I surmised, seats will be taken out of circulation, where fans get tickets in advance but the rest are fair game

55. Cats
    4:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

53) Go Cats #Stoops

56. jhnny
    4:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I was looking online- am I correct that Alabama does not distribute tickets for their Spring Game? Kinda shoots all the arguments for the need for tickets down, doesn’t it?

57. jhnny
    4:18 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#54- so if you knew the answer- why did you ask it twice? That is not what the release from UK says.

58. Eric
    4:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

You can get tickets at the gate on the day of im sure, and if you dont use the ticketmaster.com website, there isnt a fee. If you dont want to pay the fee, you can get your ticket at the ticketmaster box office locations.

It is a 70,000 seat stadium. there will be a maximum of 5-10,000 season ticket holders/student tickets given before the general public is able to get them. There will be plenty of great seats. If you are pissed that season ticket holders and students get first crack at the seats, get a life. Season ticket holders are the ones who donate. Why wouldnt they get first choice of seats?

59. Terry Blue
    4:26 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#57, because I didn’t know the answer until I looked on Larry’s blog. Use some common sense, do you think UK would turn people away from the Sring Game? Now if all the tickets have been distributed prior to the game, ala Midnight Madness, then you won’t be able to get in. But do you think we’ll distribute over 70,000 tickets? If we do,then we have REALLY srrived in SEC football!!!!!

60. jhnny
    4:27 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#58- last post- but what makes you think the ticketmaster charge is only for online purchases? That would not be consistent with any other ticketmaster sales. The only exception I’ve ever seen around the ticketmaster service charge are tickets sold at the venue of the event. Not sure if that even applies here as UK hasn’t stated as much in their release.

61. jhnny
    4:28 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#59- OK. As much as I don’t like this decision, we can agree that I hope they have 70,000 there.

62. Mc
    4:31 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#56. If true, that’s interesting. I’d be interested in knowing how many schools do this, and also who these schools are. Then I would like to look at how prestigious the programs are that do this. I believe Ohio State does. They probably didn’t until the program was more legitimate, but I believe they do it now.

63. Terry Blue
    4:45 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Guys, I don’t especially like to use Ticketmaster either but you can bet it’s a pretty good chance Coach Stoops had input into this, just like Mitch has said he’ll have a lot of input into where to put the $100+ we’re going to put into Commonwealth. Since we’ve never done it before we obviously had some good reasons to do it. I plan to go, but may not do it in advance, like I menntioned if I walk up and they tell me the things is full, I’ll be happy all the way back to Louisville and listen to it on the radio

64. Double
    4:45 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Before all you wannabe fans get your panties in a bunch, what some of you don’t realize is that you can stop by the Craft ticket office to pick up tickets anytime once they become available. YOU DON’T HAVE TO GET TICKETS ONLINE. The ticketmaster fee is a surcharge that UK doesn’t make a penny off of. Secondly, they aren’t going to turn anyone away at the gates if you show up on Spring Game day. Think about it before you pop off…

65. buzzard
    5:06 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#14 I totally agree.
    #18 There is no bigger UK football fan than I am, I’ve been a season ticket holder since ’95, but I don’t know why we have to give ticktmaster money for a FREEEE event. If money went to charity or to a scholarship to UK I would have no problem.

Come on Mitch, this is BS!!! It’s a FREEE game. Those who get there first should be able to sit where they want. Many people can’t afford season tickets and this is their chance to get close to the field and get a look at the players.

66. Terry Blue
    5:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#65 don’t they do the same thing for Midnight Madness? I thought tickets were distributed on that? I don’t remember fans whining about that

67. blueaville
    5:20 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

22 you couldn’t be any more wrong. i’ve never heard of that website. believe it if you want though. just because i don’t like the decision on spring game doesn’t make me a poser.

by the way ive missed ONE home bball game this year and missed ZERO fball home games. im guessing you’re better than that??

68. Murf
    5:23 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Maybe this will help uk figure out the projected numbers of fans they can expect at the game! This way concessions, workforce, etc… , can prepare for a better atmosphere! Just a thought.

69. Fat Boy Donuts
    5:58 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I really wish that the Herald-Leader web site and the KSR blog had also stated that, although it will be reserved seating, you DO NOT have to order from Ticket Master (phone, online, or in person) as your only option to go to the spring game. Tickets will be available at the gate on game day for absolutely free (no Ticket Master charge) for all walk-ups. This information was available at the UK Athletics web site.

70. Blue Ballz
    6:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Why would I want to watch last year’s team (minus the graduates)? Stoops recruits can’t play or practice with the team until August.

71. Are UKidding Me
    6:27 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Over/Under on how many fans show at the Blue/White Game?

I’ll start the bidding at 10,000 max, 6,000 minimum – weather depending.

72. Every uk fan
    6:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Go $#%& yourself ticketmaster and UK. I’ve gone to this for the last 15 yrs and will now be watching the highlights on wlex. U guys just shoot yourself every chance u get.

73. Sabotage
    7:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Here we go with someone trying to sabotage the football program…..everyone is really really excited about the spring game…now you get tickemaster in the mix and take the excitment down a notch or two…maybe UK really does not want the football program to exceed or it is taking too much attention from the basketball program…..I was planning to go to the game but I will be dam* if I pay ticketmaster any money.

74. Sabotage
    7:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

UK better get ahead of this blunder and let fans know that tickets are available at the gate…

75. method man
    8:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If 5K shows up, Mitch will say that 50k showed up. He’s proven to be habitually dishonest in disclosing attendance figures. Repeatedly.

76. This Is BS
    10:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I was really looking fwd to going to the spring game with my buddies. We were going to go up there early maybe go to baseall game, race track, tail gate all day and then go to the sping game. I thought it might be fun maybe see 50,000 or so fans there and feel the energy and excitement but now i am not going. There will be under 10,000 and its going to suck that uk missed out on somthing special.