The Big Win’s Late Night Notes

Player of the game

What a game. I think I speak for most of Big Blue Nation when I say that today’s contest was one of the most emotionally exhausting games in recent memory and by far the most stressful regular season game in a long time. As Davis secured his block and the clock ran out, I had the same feeling of relieved vindication that I felt when Brandon Knight sunk that elbow jumper in the waning seconds of the Ohio State game in Newark last season. UK did go into this game ranked higher than UNC, but the national consensus seemed to be that North Carolina was the better team. Anthony Davis would kindly ask you to reconsider.

– My player of the game was Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. However, cases could be made for Terrence Jones, Darius Miller, Doron Lamb or even Anthony Davis. MKG came out in the second half and played like the guy who was considered to be the best high school player in the nation his junior year. When he’s not taking questionable jump shots and instead getting his offense off the drive, Kidd-Gilchrist is the best player on this team and I will confidently stand by that. Chad Ford said that no player on the court helped his draft stock more than MKG. That’s an impressive honor considering the future NBA players who logged minutes today. MKG is going to be a real fan favorite this season.

– UK needs to improve their perimeter defense and offense, but other than that this was a solid game for the Cats. We avoided our usual early game sluggishness and put the Heels away with our patented second half improvements.

– Did anyone get a screen grab of Bullock (I think) putting up the three goggles after a first half make? CBS briefly caught it on camera and it was really annoying. I know that’s not just a UK thing, but to do it on our home court generated some bad karma for UNC. It would be like going into the Chicken Bucket and committing an armed robbery. That’s their thing. You just don’t do it.

– I know that everyone is saying they want to see North Carolina again in March, but I wouldn’t mind if they got upset in an earlier round. Sue me.

Marquette spanked Wisconsin in the Kohl Center today. They won by seven, but at the pace the Badgers like to keep, I consider that a spanking. Not really relevant but interesting.

– In football news, future Kentucky star, Patrick Towles, led his Highlands Bluebirds to the 4A title over Franklin Simpson this afternoon. They won 42-14. Towles passed for 183 yards and a touchdown and ran for 122 yards and another score. He keyed Bluebird scoring drives of both 95 and 99 yards in the first half. Congratulations to Patrick, we can’t wait to see you win here too.

– After a slow start, LSU exploded behind the play of Tyrann Mathieu, the Honey Badger, to beat the Georgia Bulldogs and advance to the national championship game with a perfect 13-0 record. The Tigers outscored UGA 35-0 in the second half to win 42-10. Georgia started off very impressively, but LSU proved to be too much and Mathieu proved to be too amazing. The guy is an absolute freak who just makes plays. I don’t expect him to win the Heisman, but if he’s denied an invite to New York City, it will be an absolute crime (not to be confused with smoking synthetic marijuana).

– I know it’s a moot point with UK considering which of our best traditional series to drop, but I’d love for this team to play Xavier. If you didn’t catch the Xavier – Purdue game today you missed out on a classic. Tu Holloway led the Muskies back from down 19 to beat the Boilermakers. He connected on three straight three pointers late in the game to tie the game, take the lead then seal the win. The guy is an absolute gamer. The Atlantic-10 has some good teams that are sure to be receiving at-large bids come tourney time. Don’t sleep of those guys.

I hope you celebrations have gone well today. I’m sure we’ll keep it up all day tomorrow too. Unfortunately, we have to wait a week for basketball action again, but beating Indiana and watching their fans cry will be worth the wait.

AGAIN!

Article written by Matthew Hays

69 Comments for The Big Win’s Late Night Notes

1. Ad
    11:05 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Boom.

2. Tweep
    11:07 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Bam

3. UKGirl
    11:07 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Holloway for Xavier is very good. That is a team who could sneak into at least the Elite Eight in March.

4. UKGirl
    11:08 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Oh yeah and #BrowDown.

5. Kaboom
    11:15 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

How sweet it is

6. morgan
    11:15 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone know if there is gonna be a replay of the game

7. BlueBloggin
    11:18 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

That was awesome. I love how the guys on the bench stand up right as hensons shiz is blocked.

8. Skip
    11:23 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

MKG took Harrison Barnes’ lunch money, just like Liggins did in the elite 8. Barnes better learn to play against guys his own size.

9. Teague's Focus
    11:24 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

I know it is not a big deal but re-watch the last 3 seconds of the game. It is very clear that Teague dribbles and then commits a walking violation before the clock runs out. We got a little lucky that the refs were still in awe of Davis’ block and weren’t paying attention. Big Blue Forever!

10. Mash
    11:26 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

#9 – Teague actually lost control of the ball. Nice try troll.

11. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    11:30 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Been a long day with the fam. Did I miss anything big today?

12. Calipari'sInYourEar
    11:34 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

What happened to KSR?

Marquette/Wisonsin? Defending synthetic marijuana ? Xavier/Purdue?

Chris and Matthew, up your game. You should be on the bench.

13. J HO
    11:35 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

Will someone for the love of God give me a link to post game presser?

14. DirtyD
    11:47 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

I am so proud of our team every other team in America would of had folded with Carolina hitting those 3’s!!! Our cats kept fighting they have all the talent in the world but most of all they have heart!! They r gonna b scary good by march, I don’t think unc has another game like that in them!! Has anyone else noticed how well this team seems to like each other ?

15. Peyton
    11:54 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

The thing I enjoyed most about the game, other than the win, was the lack of trash talking, dust-ups, and skirmishes that we normally see from teams who can’t match up with us and play dirty to try and win. Great teams don’t need the gimmicks!

16. Rupp's Runt
    11:59 pm December 3, 2011 Permalink

That big Kroger logo behind Gilchrist looks so stupid. UK puts ads anywhere they can stick them and that makes them look:

1) Greedy
    2) Like a minor league baseball team

What’s next, will the players have to wear ads on their uniforms?

People talk about renovating RUPP to make it more “college like.” Well what a better way to start than by getting rid of the hundreds of tacky ads.

17. tennessee wildcat
    12:02 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I agree #15, for once, a big game was enjoyable to watch. Anthony Davis is indeed a one man SWAT team!

18. Thank God & Greyhound You're Gone
    12:13 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Billy Clyde lost today to Duquesne. By 10 points. Any and all Cat fans who live in or nearby Lubbock had better stay off the roads tonight.

19. InternationalPhilosophy
    12:17 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

For those looking for replays of UK games…
    Go to this site: http://ukthunder.proboards.com/index.cgi
    You’ll have to register (it’s free) then go to the Wildcat Vault.
    Be sure to read the instructions in the sticky at the top of the forum.
    The format is Matroska Media files so you might have to download codecs specific to that format.
    The vids are high quality and well worth the effort.

20. Thank God & Greyhound You're Gone
    12:18 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

OOPS! Must have been a women’s score. But we can still be grateful that Billy Clyde is long gone.

21. Designated Drinker
    12:18 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I want an investigation into everything about the ref that didn’t call a foul when it looked like Gilchrist forearm was broken. I mean I want names. His family, his bank account, where he went to school, everything. This guy, obviously had $$$$$ on the game. And I am sick and tired of white guys getting calls in college basketball because of their skin color. Reddick, hansbrough and now Zeller? Argue with me, I dare you. All I need is one game tape to prove my case. You will need a burning. Ross and a lawyer. Bring a red bull and jeagar to Drakes, cuz Im just gettin warmed up.

22. Chad
    12:18 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I wonder how good Twany Beckham will be?

23. GameDay
    12:18 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

SEC loses the SEC/Big East challenge 4-8. The SEC is awful right now.

24. georgetown fan
    12:19 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Ryan Harrow got a double dose of pleasure from the big win over UNC. North Carolina State feels the same about UNC as KY fans feel about Louisville. I am certain he brought some of that dislike of UNC with him.

25. Disagree
    12:25 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

“but the national consensus seemed to be that North Carolina was the better team.”

I assume you mean the media? Vegas had us as the favorite. Money talks. Talking heads walk.

26. InternationalPhilosophy
    12:27 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Here’s where to get the codecs to play mkv. files:

You’ll want the cccp app, the one on the left.
    After you download the codecs, restart your comp.
    Each of the archived games on the site I linked in post 19 appear to be about 1 gig.
    They’ve already got today’s UK-UNC game up, and have archives of basketball and football games back to the ’40s.

27. InternationalPhilosophy
    12:29 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

That should be after you download and install the codecs, restart your comp.

28. guest
    12:46 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

#23 – The Big East is the deepest and arguably the best conference in the nation. The Pac-12 and Big12 are awful. Hell, outside UNC and Duke (and possibly FSU), who does the ACC have? The SEC will get the third most teams in the tournament this year, maybe even tied for second.

29. DVR Guy
    12:50 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

ESPN’s Brennan was wrong about Teague walk…he had the ball tapped out of his hands on his 2nd step by UNC player. HOWEVER, somebody needs to put a leash on Willtjer at the end of a game. I’m staring at my paused DVR screen as I type this and the goof is like 10 feet onto the floor with 00:9 seconds left. That could have cost UK a technical for too many players in the floor and allowed UNC to win it on a technicality.

30. kywineman
    12:57 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

#23 Two or three of those losses were very close losses at the home court of the Big East teams. Had the venue been switched, the out come would probably be different.

31. Lovely
    1:23 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

InternationalPhilosophy-Thank you very much. There are so many games I’ve wanted to see again, and some from before I was born I’d like to see.

32. lipper
    1:35 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

21) just say no not the drugs…you can do it pal!

33. lipper
    1:36 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

21) just say no to the drugs…you can do it pal!

34. some dude
    1:47 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Very sad things happening on the UL rivals board tonight. Some UL fan stole a pic of a UK fan’s infant son from the UK rivals board and proceeded to photoshop it next to known pedophile sex offenders and then he posted it.

Do I really live in this world?

35. DiorCEO
    1:48 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

The lyrics to the Official Wildcat Basketball Anthem approved by Jay-Z are below and the YouTube video and download link are below as well: Comment and like the song on YouTube!

[Intro]
    Ay Big Homie…..you started this, right?
    (My favorite hue is Jay-Z Blue and White)
    You took that fine for the squad, so let me finish it off

Verse 1:
    Say we ball so hard, Kenny scout the best/
    Orlando top ten on the trek catching wins(wind) no rest/
    Terrence lucky with the left like Hov to the Net/
    To the point like Teague, ?Official as a ref/
    (Wildcat ball) Ferious Felines/
    Cal been around them since 2000/
    75% percent but whose counting/
    Ball hard like you can’t bounce it/
    (Wildcat ball) Jay-Z blue and white/
    Kentucky Brons, Hov spent the fine on a flight/
    Ant Davis Chi like Ye is, No Bull like D. Rose in Lexington/
    It’s like sequels we nexting them, Watch AP for positioning/
    That’ll be Audemar or Associated Press, both should have the numbers correct/
    (Wildcat ball)?Big Blue Nation
    Lambo(Lamb) through the lane like a ghini racing/
    Collegiate throne we on it, in Rupp performing/
    Uncle Wes on the wood in them sick J’s/
    (Wildcat Ball) Freshmen with senior swag thats word to Darius Miller/
    Wildcat basketball, bait us with any team, we gon get’em

[Chorus]
    (Wildcat Ball) We got game, that’s our ring, that’s our ring?
    (Wildcat Ball) That’s our ring, we got game, that’s our ring

Verse 2:
    Am I my brothers keeper I need that answer solved/
    I say sure just Watch Mike Kidd-Gillie ball/
    A Perfect Season we done prayed for it all/
    You feel the draft not cause its cold because they pros/
    (Wildcat Ball) That’s our ring, Ain’t it Jay?/
    (Wildcat Ball) who that scoring, whoever play/
    (Wildcat Ball) OG and Kyser here this an important game/
    (Wildcat Ball) Act like King James logo ain’t stitched up in the seams/
    The lights is on, focused camera lens/
    Rod Strick say finish that breakfast quick/
    Excuse Niketown Kyle, ?but he scoring again…
    I’m just saying/
    Other teams dont do it right missing spots like blemishes/
    Especially since TJ scoring 52 in scrimmages/
    What’s Gucci to Louis, or Yo fans boo you/
    What’s the throne at the Grammys the Wildcats as one of the final two/
    Only can be one winner, No charges, we just killing
    Got them Cats in Kentucky but they going gorillas huh?!

[Chorus]

YouTube: http://t.co/PjrR25Cj

Download Link: http://t.co/8HeC3bUt

36. Calipari'sInYourEar
    1:49 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

WHAT WE LEARNED:

Darius Miller should been in the game in the final 2 minutes.

Take Teague out since he’s a free throw liability and put Lamb at the point.

37. Jim Nantz
    1:56 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

You know it’s a big December hoops game when I take time from
    NFL season to call it. Too bad Gus Johnson no longer at CBS.
    He would have killed those last two minutes!!

38. InternationalPhilosophy
    2:04 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

@30 Lovely…you’re most welcome. Found the site a few hours ago while searching for replays. It’s a gold mine.

39. Dustin
    2:21 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I love KSR but you can never have to many opinions or to many UK websites right! Go check out my website and and see what you think. http://www.cordellswildcatnews.webs.com

40. Cant get it to work
    2:28 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I downloaded all the stuff you said, as well as all the stuff on that website, still cant get my DivX or Windows Media to play it. It pulls up, but the announcer is like a broken record like every 2 seconds and the video wont play with the audio. Kind of sucks. But when I scroll through manually, you can see all the video, pretty weird

41. morgan
    3:08 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone know if there is gonna be a replay of the game on tv

42. jere ya go
    3:48 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

herre is a good little nugget IF we get Duke and syracuse in the tourney this year.. Kentucky can have a victory over teams from 2-5 on all times win list in the same year.

43. sammyb
    4:11 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Heres one for anyone who says Jones shouldnt 3s’ his 3p% for the year so far is 64% highest on the team, this is some of the reason he came back this year to step up other aspects of his game which he is doin perfectly. Heres a stat for those tryin to say that Teague only had one turnover today, makin excuses for his play today (Turnovers per game 3.1 also leading the team) I made some posts about Teague earlier n I got to retract a lil, his game was off today,….yes he will get better,..yes he is only a kid but 65% of the team are only kids or young. Teague was scarred to death today in its obvious he doesnt have clutch abilities that the other KIDS have i.e. KIDD(the man) Gilchrest, BIG Ant Davis. But come March I beleive hell be up there with the rest, all Im sayin is he has ALOT of work to do PERIOD.

44. sammyb
    4:19 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Man I wish they had a Decibel meter in that building when Davis threw that boys’ shiz, the crowd ERUPTED, I just watched that replay bout 10 times n it gave me chills, NOBODY does it like the BBN, who wouldnt want to come n play for us this fanbase is BEASTMODE, even the ol’ timers. For anyone who has a good speaker sit up on their desktop watch that vid and turn up the subs, its a BEAUTIFUL thang baby!!

45. catcrawler
    6:14 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

34. Pretty good, but would like at least a flow from Jay Z

46. Wildcat Willie say
    7:56 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

KEEP UNC, IN AND LOU. DROP A PANSY.

47. Crofton Cat
    8:05 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

This may have been somewhere else on the site. Haven’t had the chance to read everything. Don’t know if it is true… Haven’t done the math. This is a copy from someone’s tweet. “Over that 13 game span, UK has outscored UNC 976-969. Average score: UK 75, UNC 74.5.” If that is true, it supports continuing this rivalry.

48. playersfan
    8:08 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Not being mentioned about Davis block, he didn’t try to be macho man and see how hard he could hit it, he recovered the block to end the game. Secondly, Roy Williams almost did it again. He face guards your good shooter, or shooters, (Lamb and Miller) and makes your other shooters think they are being guarded, but have gotten them selves open, whereupon they fire a way, missing shot after shot. ie Jones and Teague.
    Teague is so far away from a lottery pick, 56% free throws, can’t make one in pressure,drives into 5 defensive players, and can’t shoot pass 12 foot. Talk about needing extra gym time. Secondly that was pure bone head play walking with the ball before the game ended.
    They need to get Lamb and Miller more shots.

49. RidgeRunner
    8:24 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I had recorded the game and stayed up to midnight watching it AGAIN after watching it live with friends. There is just something special about this team (I know -no news flash) –but I know now, I will watch it again later this week. I love taking another “W” from UNC and chip away at the lead they have on us all time.

50. Jim
    8:27 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

It’s really hard to think abt how good we’d be if Knight were still here. We’d have no wins with margins less than 10-15.

51. RidgeRunner
    8:27 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Guys…damn

Get off the “Teague-walked”, Kyle came on the floor too early crap…!! The game was tourney-rival-emotional and so the refs didn’t manage it to the letter. Get over it and concentrate on the win, the atmosphere, the special game that had unfolded with our comeback, the freshman passing overall a big test, etc…

52. Fun Fact
    9:01 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Fun Fact — Patrick Towles defeated Franklin-Simpson, which is Joker Phillips’s alma mater.

53. Wildcat Kyle
    9:02 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

One more for the good guys!!

54. tyrus
    9:06 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Should have called timeout there Coach Williams. Your players weren’t smart enough to understand the various scenarios within the last seconds of the game. Seems like the only ones who didn’t know were the five UNC players on the court. Poor coaching but BBN is glad you ae who you are.

55. barn
    9:17 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

40)i haven’t seen it on schedule yet. if unc had won it would be replayed on espn all day long as an Instant Classic

56. Jody
    9:25 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Would like to download a copy of the UK/UNC game anyone know where to find a torrent?

57. Hood'sACL
    9:25 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Just looked at the tards schedule. They could easily be 13 and 0 going into the Dec 31 matchup. They only tough games they have are Memphis and Gtown and both are at home. Plus, I think they will get a couple of guys back in the next two weeks. Basically, there is a very good chance we will see 1 versus 2 on the 31st.

58. Bigbluebart
    9:26 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I’ve got a picture of the 3 goggles. Matthew, what’s your email address?

59. bourbonballer
    9:28 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

35. I couldn’t agree more. The lineup at the end of the game needs to be: Lamb, Miller, KG, Davis and Jones.

60. Mike
    9:32 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

How often to you hear about pg’s that can’t shoot fouls??

61. Hammer
    9:40 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

What a classy statement by Henson on the blocked shot. Well played game and those UNC kids are a class act.
    I will be pulling for these guys to smash PUKE just a bad or worse as they experienced when OSU wiped the court with them.

Cats forever!!

62. Wall's Great Green Goggles
    9:49 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Looked like Teague was pushed to me

63. gcat4496
    10:04 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

Too many negative nancys on here. I could see the Cats beating Duke 150-50 and some would be on here complaining that Teague missed a shot. Either they are trolls or they have a perfectionist mentality when it comes to UK hoops.

64. Calipari'sInYourEar
    10:38 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

#61 – gcat4496 – Teague isn’t ready to be on the court at crunch time yet. It’s not Negative Nancy, it’s smart basketball.

Teague is shooting 50% from the free throw line so far this season. It’s just smart strategy to take him out and shift the lineup in the final minutes (Lamb to Point, Miller and KG at 2 and 3) to have the best shooters on the court.

Get over yourself.

Teague can work on his free throws while your counting Nancies.

Miller should not be on the bench in the final minutes period. He’s way too experienced in the scenarios and has way a more vested interest being in his final year. He can also shoot a much higher percentage from anywhere on the court.

65. make-a-swish foundation
    10:45 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

I want louisville to be number 2 coming into rupp. I don’t know who all ohio state plays before then, but I guess it could happen. And, although I’m sure there are other examples, that is one of the only live ball turnovers I can remember Lamb having in a game. I like him at point, as he is so under control. Also, when he got blocked by Barnes (?) is one of the only times I remember him getting blocked. He usually doesn’t make any offensive mistakes. Start Teague, sit him at crunch time for the time being.

66. coloradocat
    11:27 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

The lineup at the end of a close game should be Lamb, Miller, Kidd-Gilchrist, Jones, Davis.

Teague is way too likely to be falsely accused of walking as time runs out by the media after the game. Can’t risk that.

67. shazamm!
    11:47 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

News flash for kensucky fans. Dont make reservations for the final four just yet. There are a couple of teams out of the state of Ohio that can and will take you down eventually. Keep dreaming big.

68. InternationalPhilosophy
    11:54 am December 4, 2011 Permalink

@39 Go to the Matroska site and download their free player, that might work for you.

69. InternationalPhilosophy