The anatomy of a great piece of journalism

Sports Illustrated’s S.L. Price, who wrote the phenomenal piece on Coach Cal for this week’s magazine, spoke about the work that went into the story and what it was like behind the scenes talking to the coach and those quoted in his story about the various subjects. It’s an excellent look at what goes on behind the scenes in writing such a strong piece instead of, well, you know, just sending emails to a general manager in Turkey. Lots of good info that didn’t make it to a story that was formed from 60-70 interviews over the course of five or six weeks.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

18 Comments for The anatomy of a great piece of journalism

1. wildcat8
    1:07 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Great Vid, and awesome article!

2. The Real Pioneer
    1:14 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

I will second what wildcat8 has to say. Sports Illustrated and S.L. Price has wrote and published an outstanding piece on Coach Cal. Go Cats! Take care of some business in ATL

3. SexnNursinHomes
    1:15 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Well I’m doing my part for Bash Wednesday. I just bashed 3 baby seals at Sea World, and I am about to start on humans next. So is Cal contracting his bashes or is it for bidding?

4. rick's vd
    1:15 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

It really hurts now when i pee

5. NKYCatFan
    1:31 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

SO REFRESHING to see an unbiased piece on Cal and thanks for posting this podcast too!

6. Usernametaken
    1:36 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Some more really interesting material. It’s nice to see Calipari actually get a fair shake.

7. Runnin'Ramel
    1:40 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Should have been the cover story.

8. TJ'sdunkface
    1:50 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Great piece S.L. Great article, great podcast.

9. barn
    1:58 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

i know this is off base, but if you like to bash that lovable moron boob knight, then go to insidethehall.com, and read his comments defending jim tressel at ohigh state. what a buffoon

10. Al's IndiCats
    2:16 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

9, everyone knew how much of an ass he was, when he was at IU. During one of the senior days, instead of letting the spot light on them he spoke fo a little saying that depected as when he’s dead they’re going to bury him upside down so all his distractors can kiss his ass. Now I’m no prude by any means, but for all that it should be about his seniors, he took the spot light away from them. A hypocrite in every sense of the word. I just can’t wait to see what he says about TT fireing that lame excuse he has of a son. He’s also a quiter, left his program in the middle of the season because that old fossil KNEW the game has passed him by. He was getting drilled night and day, and he knew he didn’t want to play coach anymore.
    Here he knew that Tressel has has been cheating as far back as when he coached at Akron, and yet he takes up for him while making Calipari out to be one. Knight was the one who had his assisstant coaches go to Louisville and man handle Funderburk into signing an LOI. He also spoke of Damon Bailey in his book a season on the brink while Bailey was in the 8th grade. Which is a BIG NO NO in the eyes of the NCAA, and yet they looked the other way when it came to Knight. Screw that immature shell of what used to be a human form. once an ass, always an ass.

11. Confused
    2:17 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Totally off topic
    Can anyone explain why St. John (20-10, 12-6 BE) is 18th, but Cincy (24-7 11-7) isnt ranked at all? Even if they play little sisters of the blind or whatever, they are only 1 game back in conference and St. John has four extra non-Big East losses.

12. NotConfused
    2:29 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Um who freaking cares about St johns or cincy?

13. UKChillFan
    2:29 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

#10-I have always wondered if anybody else thought it strange that all other coaches can’t talk aobut recruits but Bobby could. I remember him doing that and thinking, am I the only that knows it’s a violation?!

14. TA
    2:43 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

awesome stuff right there..

15. that guy
    3:07 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Confused,

Check non-conference RPI and quality wins. I don’t have the time, but I do know St. Johns has some notable wins (Duke, UConn, Notre Dame and maybe a couple others). I don’t know if UC has that. The media loves a turn-around story, although I’m not sure how many members of ESPN’s target audience are aware that St. Johns used to be really good.

16. that guy
    3:10 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Great points Al! I wish more coaches had his kind of “integrity”.

17. Al's IndiCats
    3:24 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

15 That guy, look who’s coaching St. Johns, none other than ex-coach, ex-commentator,now coach Steve Lavin, of the cheating UCLA fame!

18. old_school
    11:16 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

Let’s revisit this discussion 3-5 years from now and see if everyone is still so high on Cal.

9 times out of ten, reputations are not assigned, but earned. I’m not indicting Cal for blantantly breaking rules at other places, but it seems obvious that he’s cut a few corners and hasn’t always been on the up and up. You don’t make this many enemies by keeping it clean.

What saddens me most is that so many Kentucky fans seem to have lowered the standard for what we expect of our program all for the sake of wins.

We have entered an era when players really don’t care too much about the “KENTUCKY” across their chest anymore and that’s a bad sign but too many fans are blinded by the fools gold success and hype that Cal has brought.

I don’t wish Cal failure – I wish for him an awakening to understand that at UK – he doesn’t need to cut corners.