The amazing story of Reese Kemp

The Courier-Journal has a story on Reese Kemp, the incredible 15-year-old boy who has dedicated his life to helping others while he fights his own battle against cystic fibrosis.  Kemp befriended three UK basketball players — John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Eric Bledsoe — when they first arrived on UK’s campus in 2009, and through them he became close with Terrence Jones and now Nerlens Noel.  The friendships he made with the Wildcats completely turned his spirits around (Wall flew him to a Wizards game; Jones would take him to the moves in Lexington; and Nerlens stops by to play video games) and encouraged him to go out and “pay it forward” through his Reese’s Bucket List charity.

This week Reese and his friends from the UK Dance Team delivered Thanksgiving meals to families in need and he plans to take Christmas presents to children in hospitals next month.  He gave two Big Blue Madness tickets to a teenage boy who also had cystic fibrosis, and he gave two more to a young woman who had major heart surgery.

“I knew how much the players had changed my life,” Reese said, “and I wanted to change somebody else’s.”

It’s an amazing, inspiring story from such a young boy who has been battling the disease since he was two-years-old.  Give it a read and show your support for Reese by liking the Reese’s Bucket List Facebook page.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for The amazing story of Reese Kemp

1. Giving Thanks
    11:58 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Drew, thank you for posting this. I was just out for a walk, and was thinking of Lane Goodwin, and how I will be incorporating
    things I have learned from Lane, into my life in the following years. I come home and read this. Most excellent. Let the
    Season of Giving begin… and let it never end!!!

2. WestJessAlum
    11:59 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

My daughter goes to school with Reese and they were at a function to raise money for the cystic fibrosis foundation Sat. night at the Chase Bank building in downtown Lex. She said it was wall-to-wall people there. Had a great time and raised alot of money. He is a very sincere kid that does alot of good for the foundation. Would also like to thank Chase Fain for helping him collect the $ from the students at school.

3. Axe Cop
    12:03 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

What a great kid. Makes me feel like total garbage as he donates so much of his spare time and I spend most of mine in the rat race.

4. Blue Healer
    12:48 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Nice story. We could all learn a lesson from him. We get all bent out of shape over who is going to be the football coach or how the BBall team is doing and this kid is actually making a difference in life. Thanks for the write up guys.

5. Here we go now
    1:36 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Kind of puts things in perspective. Good job Reece.

6. jp
    1:42 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

It’s kind of cliche but it’s true. If more people were like Reese Kemp the world would truly be a better place. Thanks for posting this Drew and keep up the good work Reese.

7. tom5673
    2:22 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

wonderful story on a truly amazing young man. it’s nice to know that there are people like Reese in the world that think of others before themselves. great job!