The All-SEC Love to Hate Team

In just this last week leading up to tonight’s showdown with Ole Miss, a new household name has arrived at our doorstep in the form of Marshall Henderson. We haven’t had the opportunity to experience true disdain and disgust with him yet, but we’ve been exposed to the possibility of what is to come tonight. After the hoopla surrounding his jersey popping and the reaction of the Auburn student section last weekend, I almost find myself secretly hoping that he does something ridiculous tonight. It’s been a while since some of the teams in the SEC such as Ole Miss have been interesting. I say bring it on. We only have so much room in our hearts to love players like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Patrick Patterson. We all need a few players on rival teams that we love to hate.

In honor of the potential start of a “love to hate” relationship with Marshall Henderson tonight, I thought we might as well take a stroll down memory lane and re-visit some of our favorite players we loved to hate in the SEC in the last 10 years or so. To be honest, I could have made an entire team using only Florida players…but I tried to spread the wealth around slightly. Without further ado, here is your All-SEC Love to Hate Team:

First Team All-SEC Love to Hate

Joakim Noah, Florida

This picture of Joakim Noah is the kind of picture people use to trick people on Twitter or Facebook. “Hey look at this cute picture of a puppy wrapped in a blanket with a giggling kitten wearing Ugg Boots and a parka looking on!” Click. BOOM! It’s actually a picture of something utterly disgusting that makes you want to throw up, audibly yelling “Gew.” Gotcha, Janet (Janet just feels like the name of the friend that would fall for that trick). Joakim Noah was not only uncomfortable to look at, but he was the kind of player who seemed to almost embrace his role as being hated. He pounded his chest for literally any occasion. Dunk? Chest pound. Jump ball? Chest pound. Save the Date arrives in the mail? Chest pound. The only thing worse than Noah’s face and excessive chest pounding was the fact that he experienced the ultimate success. We had to watch one of the least likable players in Florida history win two national championships. Chest pound.

Devan Downey, South Carolina

In theory, Devan Downey wasn’t necessarily an unlikable kind of guy. I mean, people loved Muggsy Bogues. Downey’s personality never led to any particular hatred, but he will forever go down in history as the “Wildcat Killer.” Downey poured in 30 points (felt like 72) against Kentucky to stain an otherwise great time–#1 ranking, phone call from Barack Obama, etc. That loss to South Carolina ruined any chance for me to like Devan Downey and also ruined any chance for the song “Sandstorm” to ever find a place on my iPod.

Matt Walsh, Florida

I don’t remember anything in particular that Matt Walsh did to make us love to hate him (except apparently elbowing Ravi Moss…see picture above. Now I’m pissed). Maybe it was the headband. Maybe it was the perm. I just know that I don’t particularly like him. He may like perms, headbands, toe socks and keeping the tags on his Beanie Babies…but I can assure you that he does not like the UK student section.

Any Tennessee player who wore a headband…especially, but not limited to Wayne Chism

Wayne Chism was the Tennessee headbands’ Super Bowl, but they were all awful. You remember them. You may not remember their names specifically, but you remember the headbands. My list of hated SEC players included a plethora of Tennessee basketball players. The one thing I realized they all had in common besides not having ever reached a Final 4 and fuzzy jail time stories, was the headbands. Almost every Tennessee player we loved to hate wore one at one time or another. Wayne Chism? Headband. Scotty Hopson? Headband. Tyler Smith? Headband AND Jump suit. Bobby Maze? Headband. JP Prince would have worn one if he could have found one in a youth size (Wayne Chism must have taken the last one at Dick’s…)

Teddy Dupay, Florida

Hate for Teddy Dupay is like a fine wine. It only gets better with time. Teddy Dupay was not part of the national championship Florida teams, but he paved the road for loving to hate for those guys. Dupay was like the “hipster” of the Florida players easy to hate. He was being hated before being hated was cool. As if hating a tiny, sharp-shooting guard from an opposing team wasn’t easy enough…he wound up being accused of rape and kidnapping years later. First team was probably already a lock anyway, but that sealed the deal.

Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State

I’m not sure if Renardo Sidney really did anything outrageous that I can remember against Kentucky, but across the board in the SEC for his antics and underachievement, he was a notable and rather unlikable figure (ironic?). Sidney was an easy target due to the fact that he was constantly being harped on for being out of shape. Sidney didn’t do himself any favors when he was caught on camera in a skirmish with a teammate on national television.

Renardo Sidney’s All-First Team Love to Hate would look a little different: Work ethic, being coached and salad.

A.J .Ogilvy, Vanderbilt

Part of what made AJ Ogilvy so easy to love to hate was the fact that some people actually thought/said publicly that he was a better player than DeMarcus Cousins. Cousins fuc messes around and gets a triple-double every few nights in the NBA. Ogilvy messes around and may or may not get a triple-double in whatever German League Wikipedia says  he currently plays in. Who knows? Who cares?

Honorable Mention:

Ben Hansbrough – The only thing worse than a Hansbrough is a Zeller.

Nick Calathes–  I hope his Greek professional career is going well.

Steven Pearl  – I hope that whatever is going on in that picture ended well.

Glen “Big Baby” Davis  (not Shaq, at all)

Dave Bliss

Steven Hill

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

52 Comments for The All-SEC Love to Hate Team

1. E-LOY VAR-GAS
    6:05 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh promised to shave his head if #1 Florida lost at Rupp in Spring 2003. UK DEMOLISHED them – no head shaved.

2. BBNmadman
    6:05 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Chandler Parsons belongs on this list

3. Larry Bird's Mullet
    6:06 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

A hate list that doesn’t include Anthony Roberson is no list at all.

4. Walsh is gay
    6:17 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Walsh, lol…. Say hello to teddy bear

5. Walsh is gay
    6:18 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Why do we hate “bliss” I have no clue who that is.. Other than he played at south laurel

6. Syrin
    6:19 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Dwayne Schintzius
    Charles Barkley
    Corliss Williamson
    Festus Ezeli
    John Jenkins

7. Section 133
    6:21 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Does Matt Walsh still play for that Loverboy cover band?

Seriously, Oxford is staring at a dangerous weather night. The Tad Pad leaks and loses power easily. Could be issues.

8. Syrin
    6:24 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Jason Williams
    Chris Jackson

9. dave
    6:25 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

renardo sidney? aj ogilvy? stephen pearl?
    are you serious? good job….
    at least you didnt actually type marshall henderson in this post even though he obviously was the inspiration here

10. Syrin
    6:25 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I know, the past ten years, but the hatred is strong with this one

11. slimflannery
    6:28 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I seem to recall Robert Horry of Bama mixing it up with the Cats as well a couple of times. If it was a list of hated SEC coaches, I wonder what the list would be…I suspect Dale Brown at number 1.

12. lesigh
    6:30 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

This is obviously written by a youngster. Where are members of the national champ Arkansas team? Anthony Roberson? How about that midget pt. guard from Ole Miss? Jason Williams? Why is Steven Hill on the list aside from looking goofy? Also, who would coach this team of douches? I vote for Nolan Richardson.

13. the seething cauldron
    6:30 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Gaytors are easy to despise..esp Nick Calathes..punk a $$…took cheap shots every chance he could

14. lesigh

Scotty Hopson
    Chris Porter
    Kenny Higgs
    Ricky Blanton

17. Lee
    6:34 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

So basically…..just about any white guy who ever played and was halfway good. On 1080 this morning, Matt referred to Henderson as a “white boy” in a negative comment. Matt doesnt have the Balls to ever call a black player a “black boy”. So as we seen and heard over and over on KSR, white guys shouldn’t even be allowed to play the game. They just get in the way….right Matt?

18. 2011-2012
    6:38 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

From last year, I think Tchiengang (Vandy) & Malcolm White (LSU) would be easy choices.

19. brain
    6:39 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Jarvis Varnado
    Corliss Williamson+Scotty Thurman
    Shan Foster
    Alan Houston
    Chris Warren

20. JR
    6:41 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh one time took a cheap kick to the side of Keith Bogans after Bogans was on the floor underneath the goal. Bogans in-turn threw the ball at Walsh who tried to play it off like he had done nothing. However the ref saw the kick as did a camera clear as day and Walsh was T’d and Bogans got nothing for his relation ball throwing because of Walsh’s antics of trying to play it off. Walsh also tended to throw hard elbows if he was playing today would be called for flagrant fouls each and every game and unlike Julius Mays, Walsh would deserve them.

21. Jared
    6:42 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh is still gay

22. brain
    6:44 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

BJ McKie
    Kenny Boynton
    Chuck Person

23. JR
    6:46 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

And i cant believe no one has said Devon Downey yet

24. springel
    6:47 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Kemba Walker should be on this list!

25. springel
    6:47 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Whoops it’s just SEC

26. Shaun
    6:48 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Andrew DeClercq
    Corliss Williamson when he would do the Fraternity hand gestures… Hated that guy!

27. Latrell Spreewell
    6:53 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Can a brother get some hate?

28. PIX2CLICK
    6:53 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

==== WOW ……. No one mentioned [b]CHRISTIAN LAETTNER ?[/b]

ON topic ……

My hat is off to #17 who absolutely NAILED IT !

You sir …… win POSTER OF THE DAY AWARD !

Rayshell is not on the list …

====

29. PIX2CLICK
    6:54 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

sec …. my bad

30. PIX2CLICK
    6:56 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

==== Ally Tucker …. kudos on a fine article ! ====

31. PIX2CLICK
    7:01 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

==== HISTORY LESSON:

@ VANDY … ages ago …..

Running down the “wide” sideline ………

Jan Van Bredakolf (sp)? .. whose daddy was Commodore coach at the time …..

Larry Stamper just BUSTS him in the mouth and runs straight to the bench ………….

An ALL-TIME classic…..

====

32. Com on man
    7:06 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

28,17) You do know Matt didn’t write this post don’t you. He isn’t the only writer working here. Incase you don’t get it, the post was about SEC players and I’m pretty sure Duke is in the ACC hence no Laettner!!!
    White from LSU is a good choice. I know it’s a little closer to 15 years but Slay from Tenn. was a 14k Prick. If I had to choose a coach Stansberry let his hate of UK be known and Dale Brown is the all time most hated coach

33. Com on man
    7:18 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

17) Your comment makes no point! Are you in a off hand kinda way complaining because UK isn’t playing many “White boys”. I’ve never heard Matt say white boys just get in the way over and over as you say. I’m going to let you in on a something here, you show me a team of all white players and I’ll show you a losing team. UK needs to play the best players we can regardless of color and I’m sorry but for what ever reason as a whole blacks are better at athletics then whites
    You need to stop being a racist ans start being a fan. I’m not saying whites can’t play. I’ve got no problem with Cal recruiting the best white boys but for every 1 good white player there is 7 blacks as good or better.

34. lloyd
    7:28 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

add ron slay and tony harris to the list

35. HateThemAll
    7:38 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Came here to say Tony Harris. Hated that guy. Really wanted a bench clearing brawl where he got knocked out cold.

5 – If I remember correctly, Bliss elbowed Ramel Bradley and pushed him 3 rows deep during a game. He was just a thug.

36. tom
    8:01 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Declerq

37. Rixter
    8:03 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

For me – Jason Williams and Ricky Blanton

Coaches – Don DeVoe, Kevin O’Neill, and Bob Weltlich

38. STEVE!
    8:10 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Melvin Goins of UT hit Boogie below the belt. Fortunately for him, he was thrown out before Cuz could get to him. Tony Harris, also of UT, hit Saul Smith in the same area. C.J Black, also of UT, cheap shotted Ron Mercer and almost knocked him out. Beginning to see a pattern?

39. Lee
    8:17 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

33….dont put words in my mouth. I said KSR has a history of trashing white players. The only time skin color is mentioned by KSR is when its about “white” players, and its ALWAYS mentioned in a insulting manner. Yes they’ll talk about black players but they NEVER mention their race. I could care less the racial makeup of UK’s team. I just get pissed by Matt and his team of suckups feeling the need to mention a white players race as they ridicule him. There’s no need to do it. If it was reversed, all HELL would break out….thats why I said he doesnt have the balls to say it. Its like picking on a kid you know wont fight back.

40. SMH
    8:23 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

39, maybe you should find a new blog

41. spookykim
    8:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Great article, Ally; lots of good ones to hate! Also alot of good names mentioned in the comments. I still hate Joakim Noah, right along with Christian Laettner. I do think that Chandler Parsons should have been on the list. I like Billy Donovan as a coach, but his players all tend to be douchebags. I do agree that Nolan Richardson would be the most hated coach, with Dale Brown a close second. Before the game, I would say I don’t hate Marshall Henderson (I think he acts like our beloved Boogie), but after the game may be a different story.

42. 13th. Grade
    8:40 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Barry Goheen-Vandy

43. ChemcatUK
    8:41 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#34 — nailed it. Tony “bobble head Harris.
    I will never forget the game when he was in street (emphasis on street there — no button up and khakis for that dude) clothes by of an injury but wasn’t too hurt to run off the bench and join in a fight on the other side of the court. The WORST.

44. lloyd
    11:01 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

43. my brother and I talk about it all the time. if i’m not mistaken it was an ankle injury.

45. snarkster
    11:08 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I remember when Matt Walsh played fro Florida a Gator fan came on a UK board trying to convince us Matt Walsh wasn’t gay just because he was dating a Playboy model. I told him that it just mean she was a lesbian – dating another girl like that. 😀

46. snarkster
    11:11 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

And who can forget Joke’em, the biggest Gaytor of all times.

47. lkmsdflkdmsf
    11:22 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt Frieje, Vandy

48. haterswynne
    11:23 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

going back more than a few yrs., butt 4my money, gotta have Ernie Grunfeld at/near TOP of this list!!!???

49. don of dons
    12:37 am January 30, 2013 Permalink

Ally, you are on my All-KSR hate team for putting Bliss and Calathes only on honorable mention. You fail at hating.

50. Stoops
    1:21 am January 30, 2013 Permalink

Seemed like we added somebody new to the list every game of the Tubby years, because somebody always had a career game against 10 loss Tubby and that damn ball line D!!!!!

51. Educated UK Fan
    1:53 am January 30, 2013 Permalink

This list is terrible, just like Ally’s wit and general writing ability. Also, where is Ron Slay?

Please, Matt FIRE ALLY.

52. Chris of South Laurel
    10:57 am January 30, 2013 Permalink

As a South Laurel graduate, I feel that Dave Bliss didn’t go to South Laurel. Oh, he’s from Wisconsin…