That’s the SEC I don’t like…

If the rumors hold any weight that the SEC is attempting to woo the likes of Duke and North Carolina, throw me head first into the pool of people who would welcome both with open arms. I hate Duke, and my hate grows more and more with each Plumlee. I hate North Carolina, and my hate grows deeper with each article written and then ignored about the academic scandals. It’s a healthy hate, if there is such a thing– based mostly upon the desire for Kentucky to be better than both of these schools. Hatred aside, I love great college basketball games. I’ll watch Kentucky play anyone, including Canadian teams on television stations with mediocre production value. But I, like many fans I’m sure, clamor for the juicy match-ups against the top level teams. For that reason, the SEC as a whole has become less and less exciting in terms of creating exciting games with each passing year.

Perhaps the decline of some of the teams who used to compete year in and year out for the top spots in SEC basketball is the universe’s way of balancing things, considering 6 of the current top 10 teams in college football hail from the SEC. Maybe we just can’t have it all, but I long for the days when the SEC was filling up the Selection Sunday brackets with a slew of teams.

Florida, Kentucky and Missouri are the only SEC teams currently ranked in the top 25 of the men’s college basketball polls. College basketball as a whole is considered to be “down” this year, and the SEC still only claims 3 spots. This isn’t about being in a pissing contest with the Big East or any other conference for that matter either. I don’t care how many they have and how we stack up. I just want to know that at least 6 of 7 of Kentucky’s SEC opponents will be really enticing games year in and year out. When SEC men’s basketball is down, to borrow part of a phrase from Chief Keef, “That’s the SEC I don’t like.”

The only thing more frustrating than the fact that 50% of the time my phone autocorrects “SEC” to “sex” is some of the early season results in the non-conference schedule so far for the SEC schools. Just take a moment to internalize some of these results:

Georgia lost to Youngstown State, 68-56

Vanderbilt lost to Davidson, 75-62

Vanderbilt lost to Marist, 50-33

Arkansas lost to Arizona State, 83-68

Texas A&M lost to Saint Louis, 70-49

Missouri lost to Louisville, 84-61

South Carolina lost to Elon, 65-53

Though it was an exhibition game, South Carolina needed a down to the wire effort to slip past Kentucky Wesleyan, 68-67

Key: *Embarrassing enough that it’s worth pointing out, again

You might be saying to yourself, some of these losses were against good/respectable teams though, such as Louisville, Saint Louis, Murray State, North Carolina… but look at the scores of those games. The games were not competitive. The games were essentially blow outs.

Maybe it’s still a little too early to tell on some of these SEC teams. Just as it’s hard to know how good some of the still-undefeated teams like Alabama, Ole Miss and LSU are, due to the fact that their non-conference schedules read like a CBI tournament list of invites– maybe a few of these SEC teams are going to hit their stride come conference play. Either way, my expectations aren’t very high for extremely exciting SEC match-ups outside of the Florida and Missouri games for Kentucky. I am by no means saying that a host of other teams will not be able to potentially knock off this young Kentucky team. But the excitement level for the games just isn’t quite where it used to be.

Like I said, maybe it’s too early to make that call. Here are a few SEC basketball-related things you can count on though: I will accidentally text “sex” to my Dad at least 3 times this season when trying to type “SEC”, Johnny Football will be brought up at least once in each and every television broadcast of a Texas A&M basketball game, IF Johnny Football happens to be in the crowd at said Texas A&M basketball game– he will be given the Seth/Steph Curry’s Mom treatment, Alabama WILL find themselves on the bubble on Selection Sunday (that is as sure a bet as death and taxes), at least 10 people you are friends with on Facebook or follow on Twitter who are Kentucky fans will say “SEC” on the night of the national championship if Alabama/Georgia wins and the Vandy/Mississippi State game will showcase awful basketball

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

22 Comments for That’s the SEC I don’t like…

1. WowReallyWow
    5:05 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Georgia’s so bad they lost a tie . . . and I love a girl who uses the word pissed. All of that means I enjoy your writing Ally . . . keep up the good work and keep bring the attitude.

2. FlashOfBlue
    5:07 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

We only scored 1 pt against Vanderbilt? I missed that game.

3. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:09 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Agree with the premise of getting better competition. Just glad it’s not this year because this young squad will need all the easy wins it can get to stay a top seed.

4. Jungle Foot
    5:12 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

I do not see Duke ever going to the SEC, even if UNC were to decide to. Why? Football. their stadium only holds around 35k, and they rarely if ever fill it. SEC is built around and for football, not hoops. UNC on the other hand has a stadium in excess of 60k, which would make them more appealing, but still – a stretch. What I could see is actually the B10 a better fit for Duke, mainly due to academics. In the end I would wager Duke and UNC not go anywhere, unless there is a mass exodus for the SEC/B10.

5. Nick
    5:12 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky lost to Duke…

6. TrueBlue in Harrogate
    5:16 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Good article Ally! I believe the Vols have the potential to get better and be pretty competitive by the end of the season but I still think they’re gonna be eaten by a few more cupcakes before that happens.

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:17 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

5 – You think UK’s 7-point loss to the #2 team in the country belongs on that list? You didn’t do too well on those tests where they made you choose which one doesn’t fit did you. “Question 3: There’s a square, circle, triangle, and giraffe, which one doesn’t belong?”

8. TrueBlue in Harrogate
    5:20 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#7 If there was a like button, you’d have my vote.

9. Amaze Pants
    5:20 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

“Georgia lost to Youngstown State, 68-68”

o_0

10. RealCatsFan
    5:27 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Wow, Vandy and Miss St sure took a nosedive from the past two seasons! As much crap as UK takes for letting their football program go to hell, some of these SEC schools should be taking some flak for the crappy basketball product that they are putting on the floor. Ya hear me, Vandy, Arkansas, Tenn, and Miss St? These teams used to give UK a run every now and then. I would have expected Mizzou to be better with all of the high profile transfers coming in, and Tenn should be better with the big-footed kid who doesn’t know how to stretch.

11. UKBlue1!
    5:36 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

The SEC should offer UNC and Duke. It doesn’t need another major football power. A&M and Mizzou are mediocre football teams from the BIG XII. The SEC has UF,AU,AL, LSU, GA, UT and LSU. They all have better history. A&M is on par with SC,Ole Miss and Arkansas. Mizzou fits in with Vandy, Miss ST. and UK. Duke and UNC would bring a lot to TV deal. The football schools sell themselves. FSU, Clemson, GT are not coming because Al,UF, AU, USC, and GA aren’t going to allow them to go.

12. tltaworl
    5:41 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

I think Corey is using Ally’s name. It is a little weird to read a girl writing pissing contests. Maybe becauase it would be awful hard for you to engage in one of those. Just sayin…

13. old_school
    5:52 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky’s lucky to be in this conference with their young teams. If they had to compete in the Big 10 this year – they’re probably look at 5-6 conference losses.

14. Calm down people
    6:05 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

UK has always been in the wrong conference for our sports. It’s almost blasphemy to admitt we should have been in the ACC. As bad as it hurts our pride to admitt it the ACC should have been our home. Football will always steer the SEC and we have a slim chance of ever being at the top in football. Stoops or anyone who coaches here would have to do a amazing job to even get us mid pack that’s not being negative that’s being real. Anyone who disagree is just kidding themselves. The other schools in the SEC are never going to put a huge effort in to basketball never have never will.
    If Duke and UNC chose the SEC it would be a godsend for UK. We could compete with them in football year in year out. Would finally have someone else to take basketball seriously. Let’s face the music the rest of the SEC basketball teams are getting less and less competitive soon it will be like UK and a bunch of OVC teams.

15. Bobbum man
    6:13 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

thanks for the key seeing as none of the games had the * by them

16. So/so hire
    6:17 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#11 Have you lost your damn mind or do you just not know any thing?? Texas AM a mediocre Big 12 team? Texas AM has long storied tradition. They where just in the same spot as UL is with UK. They where never going to be a head of UT in that state, but don’t confuse that with them being average. They had a average coaching staff the last couple of years now they have a coach who has them back where they belong like Cal did for us. You think Auburn has a better history then A and M really?
    Bama is the only school out of the group you named then A and M. Only because Bama is to football what we are to BB. The SEC is going to do what’s best for football period. Basketball is just a after thought to the rest of the conference. Hell if anything we should consider going to the ACC if it wasn’t for the money we would lose with the football tv deal.

17. No Omega Moos
    6:21 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

If a team is to join the SEC, their cheerleaders and dance teams need to be scouted and approved. It’s bad enough we have Vandy’s herd trampling the floor at Rupp, but we certainly don’t need Dukes tearing up the turf at Commonwealth.

18. Manbearpig
    6:23 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

If I was a betting man and I am. I would bet that Duke and UNC end up in the Big 10 and we get Virginia and Virginia Tech

19. So/so hire
    6:45 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#18 I think you could switch FSU with Virginia . I know we already have Flordia, the ACC has Maimi so I don’t think Flordia should scare them off. Even when the SEC was wooing Missiouri they where actively seeking FSU and have been for years. If the ACC is going to brake up I’d say now might be a good time for the Noles to switch.

20. BREAL
    6:48 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

On the flip side most of those teams can say the same about us in football, we have been a embarrassment to the league in football, I hope that changes now.

21. Manbearpig
    7:22 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#19 I agree on FSU if they are still on the table. I was reading earlier they were looking at possibly joining the Big 12. I just see Duke and UNC joining the Big 10 if they are going any where

22. JLivermore
    9:25 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

It would immediately deflate UL’s excitement over the ACC…that’d be a shame.