That’s some good revenge

So smart. So good basketball.

– Joe Mazzulla came out and hit his career high on us again and then Brandon Knight answered. Brandon notched his own, much more impressive, career high of 30 and looked like a guy who didn’t want to have his freshman season come to an end without spending some time in New Jersey. He hit his threes early and his free throws late.

– Knight stole the headlines with his scoring, but Harrellson might have been the game’s MVP. He came out and delivered the performance that we’ve come to expect from him with 15 points and eight strong rebounds. Harrellson brings passion to every game. He just starting playing this year, he’s not ready for it to end.

– Speaking of stat stuffers, neither reached their scoring average but Terrence Jones and DeAndre Liggins provided some great hustle plays. Terrence finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds, including some man-sized rips, and DeAndre notched nine rebounds, four assists and solid defense for 39 minutes. Eloy Vargas also had a dunk and our only offensive rebound of the first half! That’s about as stuffed as his stat sheet gets.

– Darius Miller didn’t bring the scoring that he has provided of late but he did hit a big three in the second half to put the Cats up five. He’ll need to step up in the next game, but his lack of scoring today was covered by Knight’s outburst.

Say what you want about the officiating. I’m going to say that it was absolutely atrocious. That 20 second stretch at the end of the first half was about as bad a sequence as I’ve ever seen.

– It didn’t look good at halftime but Charles Barkley never doubted the Cats and the 16-point turnaround in the second half was enough to dispel those Cal can’t coach worries. Calipari out coached Huggins in the second half by attacking the middle of his defense and better handling the many screens that West Virginia utilized so well in the first half. Cal definitely deserves some love for that.

– Two NCAA tournament games and two gritty comeback wins. We started last season’s run with three blowouts. These close games are building valuable character that the young Cats will need as their quest for the Final Four continues.

– Brandon Knight might draw some Hamlet comparisons, but it feels good to beat West Virginia. Last year’s loss was tough. Revenge feels good.

Newark, here we come.

Numbers, numbers, numbers...

Article written by Matthew Hays

63 Comments for That’s some good revenge

1. I can't see the comments
    3:54 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

You guys can thank me. DO IT.

I started watching the game when we were up 7. The announcers said we were doing great so far. I’m watching and 10 minutes later we were down 8. I stopped watching, I knew it was my fault. I came back 40 minutes later to give it another shot. I was surprised to see we were up 4. 5 minutes later we were down 5.

This time around it was crystal clear. It WAS my fault. I decided to not watch the end of the game. I only came back to check the final score.

I only got to see them play TERRIBLE today. I sacrificed my fanhood for the greater good.

2. H.A.M.
    3:57 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal still can’t coach. Good win though.

3. GoCats2
    3:58 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I was so mad after the way the first half ended but they played great. Jorts is all heart and I love it. After the Princeton game I said that Knight owed us 30 points. Now I will take Lamb and Miller coming up big against George Mason.

4. Korean Tacos
    3:59 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Seemed like Harrellson had more rebounds than that. Hell, he had 6 on that one put back.

5. Yroc53
    4:01 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

2.) Cal can coach fine, going into this season our expectations were not to make it this far and we did. Little disappointed lamb only got 14 minutes but he wasnt hitting his shots and wasnt able to match up well on defense.

6. chas barkley
    4:02 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Thas turrible…you didn’t even mention Vargas going for four points…jus turrible

7. Revenge
    4:02 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Take that UWV!!!! Demons be gone!

8. Computer Blue
    4:02 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

1 – Thanks for your sacrifice. Don’t watch us next week either, please. 🙂

9. Joe mazzula
    4:03 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I have played at UWV for 10 years it seems………. Glad that MOFO is gone……

10. Big East
    4:04 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Our teams are dropping like flies…….

11. catstang
    4:04 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Anybody know who made the all tournament team ?

12. Assistant Coach
    4:07 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

2) HAM – I couldn`t agree more. Cal just can`t coach! It is beyond my ability to understand how he often wins 30 plus games per season. Also today we were down eight points at half time, then the team came out and outscored WVU 16 points in the second half. I don`t know how they did it but you are right, Cal just flat out can`t coach! (Satire)

13. Captain Wildcat
    4:07 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

nice to be first one in sweet sixteen to milk it out as long as possible.

14. theycallhimJorts
    4:08 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

combat !

15. Big Blue
    4:13 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

If Cal can’t coach then how did Josh make all that progress this year?

16. vanessa
    4:15 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

So all of these players coach on thier own.

17. Han
    4:15 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Wow, we only had 1 steal.

5) Lamb kept fouling, remember? If Miller hadn’t been nonexistent on offense, Lamb probably doesn’t get 10 min this game.

13) Yup. And we can watch the other 15 games. If we lose, most of us can’t stand to watch again.

18. Assistant Coach
    4:15 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Coach Patino deemed Jorts the most underated player in college basketball. Charles Barkley giving the Cats lots of love. Am I intoxicated, or not intoxicated enough?

19. duhville cat
    4:20 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

All hail Papa Jorts!!! Go Cats!!!
    I’ll catch you guys later I’ve got some Tards to slap around!
    “Morehead State sent em’ home…. to the place they belong…
    To Porcini’s and Ricky’s special table…. Karen Sypher take em’ home”
    (Elvis voice) Thank ya… Thank ya vuury much.

20. ROY DMC
    4:27 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Three Goggles Shirts at sixthmanapparel.com

21. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    4:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

FEAR JORTS,THE DENIMLITION MAN!! YOU CANNOT STOP HIM, ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM!!!

22. el hombre juan
    4:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

jersey? i will be watching from my home in kentucky, thank you very much.

23. cobb4heisman
    4:32 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I betcha florida is liking the extra sec support in the house…and its in tampa so its basically a hom3 game

24. Computer Blue
    4:35 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Can we have an Ohio State hate day Wed?

25. NBA league pass
    4:37 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

recent mock draft: Knight/Jones top 15, Lamb no longer in…

26. Bowlinggreenie
    4:38 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

You’re spot on about the officiating. I thought it would be better in tournament than the regular season, but I guess that’s what I get for thinking. Great win, though!

27. GoCats2
    4:38 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

IS that a Blue/White chant at the Florida UCLA game?

28. blueblood
    4:44 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

with his article on todays hl, clay earned his way into the jerry tipton hall of fame, whose mantra is if u cant say something neg about uk b’ball and cal, dont write the damn article. lets see what he has to say 2morrow. also lets see how long jt writes about those calls at the end of the 1st half. i say he never mentions them. he always remembers the last few minutes at miss st. send those bums to knoxville.

29. Kat in NC
    4:44 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Cal can’t coach? What game was HAM (#2)watching?

30. SKat
    4:51 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

@1: We appreciate your sacrifice, but I must claim some credit for the win! After WV regained a four-point lead mid-second half, I realized I was wearing a nondescript black T-shirt. KY down 4 at a time out, I ran upstairs and changed into my favorite blue UK T-shirt that brought us through the SEC tourney wins. Back to the game . . . Bingo! UK goes on a 9-0 run to take a 5-point lead and holds for the win! Do you think I can chance taking this shirt off to wash it before next week’s game against GMU? It did get a little soaked with nervous sweat.

31. Inside Info
    5:03 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

We definatly can beat Ohio St but if we dont get some fair officials we wont have a chance. We have took a beating all year ( Toney Greene ) I really think there has to be some kind of conspiracey, or they hate UK, or they dont like Cal, could be all the above. I wished there was something that could be done. I dont care if we lose stright up, but losing because of the refs is BS. GO CATS

32. voice of reason
    5:08 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

jorts “only” got 4 stitches, so the cut shouldn’t bother him at all

33. Richard
    5:08 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

One of the worst officiated games I have seen. Not only did they miss calls, there was no calls when there should have been a call. I just hope we don’t get any of these guys the next time the Cats play. Great second half for the Cats.

34. jmh
    5:08 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

County roads take them home…to Morgantown, where they belong…last year you were lucky, but we’re Kentucky…we’re moving on and that’s my song.

35. jay
    5:15 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

(yes)I heard it.Not to many teams could say that!

36. jay
    5:16 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

(27)oops

37. Inside Info
    5:16 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I didnt know they put on that danceing display last year after they beat us. I almost wish we would have stooped to their level and paid them back. Kentucky players just have way more class then those chumps. I hope they had fun last year, because we might go undefeated next year.

38. voice of reason
    5:19 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

the chant during the florida game was “blue-orange” not “blue-white”

39. AKA cold buckets
    5:22 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

LET’S GOOOOO!!!! lol I’m pumped. Liggins and Jones were huge down the stretch. Jorts was a beast. Darius hit the biggest shot of the game. What can you say about Knight? Baller. Jones 12 point and 10 boards on only FIVE shots. Way better than the 2-10s and 3-14s he’s been putting up.

By the way, you win your games in Tampa and you get to go to Newark. Doesn’t that seems like it should be the other way around?

LEGGGOOO CATS!

40. AKA cold buckets
    5:23 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

also, if we play Ohio State, the refs will let Sullinger shoot 58 free throws. It’s gonna be frustrating.

41. paul
    5:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Sullinger will only shoot fouls when he gets fouled. you are already building yourself up to complain. just cheer your team and stop putting it on the officials..(UK 18 fouls to WVU 23) just play the game and make shots

42. Big Blue 66
    5:32 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Pllllleeeeeaaaaaasssseee have 3 of our 4 frosh return……BK, finish your degree, stay one more year with lamb and or jones…..we know poole is staying on.

43. Big Blue 66
    5:33 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Enes can instruct our guys on how to play Sullinger

44. Stacy Poole
    5:35 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

42) 1 word…transfer.

45. bluekzu
    5:44 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

It seems like Knight would benefit from another year. He’s a good ball handler, but a little inconsistent offensively.

46. bluekzu
    5:46 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

(He was great today, of course)

47. john4uk
    5:53 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Hit those missed free throws and this game is a blowout.Harrelson,Liggins and Knoght were simply awsome.Good to see Jones get a double double,and Miller just had a bad shooting game.

48. Dekerichard
    5:55 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Can we get a pic of Huggins from this summer up. the one where he is all black and blue from “fallen”.

49. DeandreDNA
    5:55 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Calling it now. We make it all the way to playing duke in the final 4, down by one we throw a full court pass to Jorts who turns and fires, hitting the game winning shot and capping a perfect day from the field. UK wins, ratface looses, ghost of Lattener exorcised. Jorts’ dad field dresses a deer on court to celebrate.

50. Viren
    5:56 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Great win Wildcat’s the revenge theme is working our so well in the SEC and NCAA Tournament. A history lesson last school to knock Kentucky out of the NCAA back to back was Ohio State. So we can apply the revenge theme in the next round game as well. :-] Pressure is on #1 seed Ohio State Bucks!!!

51. Skat
    5:57 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

@49: Priceless!!!

52. BWK55
    6:33 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

@ 1 and 30.

I too am one to thank. The first half i didnt have my BWK 55 tshirt on like i did for the SEC tourney. At half time i put it on. You’re Welcom BBN.

53. James
    6:54 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I moved downstairs after watching the first game and first half of today upstairs. Made all the difference.

54. E.Sutton
    7:23 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I drank coors lite the first half,changed to bud lite for the second.That is why we won,and why im drunk.

55. I can't see the comments
    7:36 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

30 and 52 – We’re great. Don’t change anything guys. They might send us a ring someday after all we’ve done. Proud of my guys, Cal would say.

53 and 54 – You’re great too. In a way.

56. Missy
    7:37 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Go Cats!!! That was an awesome, if somewhat ugly, win today. Also, congrats to the CHRISTIAN COUNTY COLONELS for making it to the Ky State Championship game for the first time in their history. GO CATS & GO COLONELS!!!!!

57. Masher
    7:47 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Jorts is the next Bill Laimbeer!!

58. I can't see the comments
    9:00 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

59. Army Cat
    9:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

# 24 Computer Blue: Since no one else caught it, big props on the Dave Chapelle reference. Go Cats!!!

60. mike
    9:32 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Just want to say, Josh, you are the MAN! Thanks for the effort. GO CATS

61. JBR
    12:04 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

We aren’t going any further if Disapperious has another 3 point, 2 rebound outing. He and Jones are easily two of the most frustrating players to ever wear the blue and white. Just think if we could inject Harrellson’s attitude and determination into Miller and Jones.

62. Jacocat
    1:46 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

#57 Jorts is way too nice to be a Bill Laimbier.

63. I can't see the comments