Terrence Jones on his pinky, pride

jones-lamar

After last night’s win over Lamar, Terrence Jones took some time to reflect on his first game back from injury. Jones said the past few weeks have been “different and difficult,” and that after colliding with a player from Tennessee-Chattanooga, he knew immediately something was very, very wrong:

“I just went straight to the trainer trying to get help. I ain’t never seen my finger like that. I wasn’t even in the basketball mode. I was worried about my hand.”

At times during the Lamar game, it was obvious the injury was still on Terrence’s mind; in the first half, he took the ball up with his left hand and missed, and on the way down, grabbed his hand. On that shot, Terrence says he felt the bone move. Heading in to the Louisville game, Jones knows he has to stop favoring his finger, something Cal says he won’t accept as an excuse for poor play.

Despite pressure from reporters to discuss his disappointing performance against Indiana, Jones remained stoic and emphatic that the only thing he can do is move on:

“It happened. The game is over. We just have to move on. There’s nothing I can do to change what happened. I just hope to win. I don’t care about being in or not being in … I’m just having fun playing. It’s better than sitting the whole game in regular clothes. I’m just happy to be out there running up and down, honestly.”

Jones said he tried to ignore the ill-spirited tweets he received after the Indiana game, chalking it up to haters from other teams trying to take him down:

“They just were happy we lost, and so I just said they could have (that day), but we’re still going to have a long season.”

Keep it up, Terrence.

18 Comments for Terrence Jones on his pinky, pride

1. Mike
    11:29 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

TJ….”I don’t care about being in or not being in the game”…just what a coach and BBN want to hear from an All American prospect…his play has shown that feeling many times…hope he can toughen up soon.

2. Conspiracy
    11:41 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’ve been blasting people over even mentioning the idea of points $having, but dang it’s getting harder to take up for him.

3. jq
    11:43 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Quit cajoling the CRY BABY!

4. witchblade
    12:05 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

WAKE UP TERRENCE!!!!!!!!!

5. PinkyandTheMan
    12:09 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Trolls are out in full force today. Probably will be on here all week!

6. Jarvis Redwine
    12:13 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

We will cover the spread Saturday.

Trolls, stfu!

7. Al's IndiCats
    12:16 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

If anyone’s ever dislocated a finger, elbow, shoulder it plays hard on your head even doing simple everyday things. Everyone has their own thresh hold of pain high, low, whatever. Read what he said, afterwards he wasn’t in basketball mode, he had never seen anything nor felt anything like this. Put yourselves where he is now. Terrence will be just fine in my opinion. I would rather him play in a cautious way right now as to have him play that way this Saturday.

8. Wildcatfan
    12:22 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

If you have not had a dislocated finger, go get one and see how you deal with it. I have had one and I can tell you that it is not something you get over in a couple of weeks. It really does not matter what level of pain tolerance you might have. When something, like a basketball, hits that finger the reflex action is involuntary. Jones is doing very well at the moment, much better than we have a right to expect from him. I hope he heals completely and is ready to be 100% by tournament time.

9. Harlanhick
    12:25 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Why oh why do our own fans down their own players…never understood that. Good kid who had his first really bad game then had his first bad injury, I’m sure all of you tough guys are much better.

10. NBA league pass
    12:25 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

7,8 – I agree, I don’t know what people expect of the guy. Everyone here saw the freaking picture of it, I thought he’d be out weeks.

Personally, I wish Coach would have held him out yesterday and given him a bit more time to heal, but obviously they know better than me, my point is we NEED Jones to be successful this year.

11. Guck Foodman.
    12:27 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Gotta be some card fans on here today. Give him a break. He’s doing better at life than probably all of you.

12. Scouting Report
    12:30 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

How you Card fans even have the mettle to make these negative comments is beyond me. Prepare for your beating.

13. JackNicklaus
    1:01 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

What else would you expect from these trolls…their football and basketball teams just got exposed on national TV…they are who we thought they were.

14. bosshogg24
    1:02 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Why doesn’t the way Gilchrist plays rub off on the other players? Some of them just go thru the motion, loaf and stand around!

15. ChiefWiggum
    1:16 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

#1, I think a better way for him to word that may have been ” I am not going to complain about playing time. I am just happy that I am not hurt and still able to play”.

16. Doubting Thomas
    2:01 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Good point #15, I actually took TJ to mean that but I’m Blue to the bone and love our players. TJ is going to be off for a few weeks while he gets over his finger. My son had a dislocated finger playing football and before you know it he had to have major surgery to keep this hand and fingers aligned properly. Missed half of his senior season because of it. TJ will be dominating teams come Tournament time. I guarantee it. He’s a great player and great players show up when the title is on the line. Forget these early season games. They mean nothing. The loss to Indiana means nothing, they are no better and we’re no worse because of it. We win 10 out of 10 of these games on a neutral court. GO BIG BLUE! Louisville Sucks!!!!!

17. CAUKFAN
    3:22 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

TJ knows what he needs to do and I’m pretty sure he’ll do it. This is one of those times when people need to be reminded how young these kids are and to cut them a little slack. What ever issues he may be having, you have to believe the UK coaching staff and TJ’s friends are all over it.

18. Hal's for Cal
    4:36 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

One half of T Jones (or one hand) is better than anything the Cards have!