Over the weekend, Cal released a video tour of the new Rupp Arena locker room–I’m sorry, suite–on his website. In case you missed it, here are eleven takeaways (it’s too good for just ten):
1. The hallway leading to the “suite” is plastered with pictures of the Calipari Era, with this particularly awesome shot of Eloy.
2. The entrance to the suite includes the first of many pieces of the Final Four floor from New Orleans. This piece is the free throw line where Doron Lamb hit the final free throws to clinch the National Championship.
Is there anything Joe Craft doesn’t have his name on anymore?
3. The centerpiece of the entrance is the National Championship trophy. At this point, how many copies of the trophy are there? I count:
1) One in the Wildcat Coal Lodge case
2) One in the Joe Craft Center
3) One in Cal’s bedroom (come on, you know it’s there)
4. Oh, hello people just casually chilling in the new lounge. This will be the area the football team and other teams can bring recruits in before the game to hang out and socialize.
5. The kitchen/dining area includes a mural of the scene in New Orleans when the buzzer sounded and parts of the court. The area, which can also be used by other sports teams before the game, has a men’s and women’s bathroom. Thanks, Cal!
6. In the team’s meeting and film room, Cal has a whiteboard that takes up the entire wall. Seriously, the entire wall. That may be impressive, but they need to find a better place to store the markers.
Cal says this is the only area he’ll talk to the team in before, during and after the game. The locker room is the players’ space.
7. Bam. The banner is a nice touch.
8. Because Cal doesn’t like clutter, there are lots of cabinets to keep things out of sight. What’s inside one of those cabinets? Plush robes. What is this, the Ritz? The players must think so:
9. In the shower area, there are individual shower stalls (7′, natch). Why? Players don’t like to shower together anymore. Does this mean they’re missing out on some towel-snapping rituals?
Also in the
spa shower area: a hot tub (for pregame) and cold tub (for postgame). Notice the UK emblem in the tile? Now that’s detail.
10. Even the assistant coaches have a locker room area. The toilet seat, of course, is up. Will boys never learn?
11. The funniest part of the tour? Cal’s “prop office.” (I see you, Stadium Frame Final Four print!) This space, a mini replica of Cal’s actual office (right down to the balls on the wall), is used only when Cal has recruits visiting. Otherwise he never comes in there. Proof? Check out the empty desk drawers.
Mmm, Diet Coke.
So, when can I move in?