Ten Awesome Things from Coach Cal’s Tour of the New Lodge

The crew over at CoachCal.com posted a video tour of the new Wildcat Lodge, and it is just as spectacular as you would imagine. If you haven’t seen the video yet, click the pic to check it out.

Here are my top ten favorite things from the tour:

1. Cal’s shirt

First thing’s first: that shirt. Nothing says “I’m comfortable in life and you can’t touch me” more than a big, relaxed short sleeve button down with a hideous graphic. But you know what? It’s Cal’s world, we’re all just living in it.

2. Alex Poythress sees you filming, keeps grubbing

Alex Poythress walked by while Cal was filming, but that didn’t stop him from getting his grub on. You go, Alex.

3. Betsy Fisher, Lodge Aunt

Cal introduced Betsy Fisher, an “Office Assistant,” and tried to turn on the Cal charm, calling her the “Aunt” of the Lodge. I’m not sure if Cal was trying to flatter her by not calling her the “Mom” of the Lodge, but she was clearly not amused.

4. The empty spot in the trophy case

The showpiece of the Lodge lobby is the National Championship trophy case. Cal pointed out that there was an empty spot at the end. Hmmm…wonder why? At Kentucky, we’re not so into subtlety.

5. The itinerary screens

There are flat screens throughout the lodge that show players’ meeting times, schedules, etc. Now they will never have an excuse to be late again. Can I have one of those in my house, too?

6. Recliners in the lounge

“We don’t do couches. You know why? They don’t sit on couches or chairs anymore. They want to be on recliners.” Coach Cal: always in touch with today’s youth.

7. Kyle’s mystery drink

Obviously they can’t show a restaurant brand on the video, so they blurred it out. Judging by the bag on the floor, which they forgot to blur out, it’s Chick-Fil-A. Anyone have another guess? Also, Brian Long looks tiny in that recliner.

8. Cal’s new BFF, Chris Cain, Wildcat Lodge Head Chef

Cal’s found a way to cheat on his diet: Chris Cain, the head chef at the Wildcat Lodge.

I’ll come over and say “Can I get a grilled cheese?” “Yes, yes you can.”
“Can I get a hamburger?” “Yes sir.”
“Can I get a cheese steak?” “Gotcha”
“Ooh! Wings!” “Gotcha.”

Might need a few more of those roomy shirts if you keep this up, Cal.

9. Toilet seat up

Some things never change.

10. The NBA Wall

On the residence level of the Lodge, there is a giant display of former UK players in the NBA. It’s huge. Headed downstairs to get a snack? Take a look at these pictures of John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins playing in their UK gear. Can’t sleep? Go check out Rondo, Patrick Patterson, and Anthony Davis.

Gold standard? More like “game over.”

47 Comments for Ten Awesome Things from Coach Cal’s Tour of the New Lodge

1. sean
    11:09 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

why cant we do this stuff for our football players

2. blueaville
    11:13 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

awesome! but wow Cal is getting large….even walking like a fat man now. But who cares when you are Cal

3. Duh
    11:17 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

1. Because there are 15 basketball players and 75 football players. Do you have a 75 room house in Lexington for sale???

4. soggyUKgrad
    11:17 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

a couple of reasons…this was built by donors. the football program doesn’t have this type of financial support from the public. also, there are 80+ football players, and the logistics of building them their own dorm would e much more expensive than accomadating 12 players

5. Bill
    11:17 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

#1 here’s a hint…UK basketball was good before they got all these things, they just didn’t decide to give it to them. Win first, then get things

6. dagwud
    11:27 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

What is it with me that I read this article, and the only thing that sticks in my head is the description of Coach’s shirt in point 1.

It’s not a “button down.” To be a “button down shirt,” it needs buttons at the points of the collars to keep them from flapping in the breeze. Coach’s shirt is accurately referred to as “button front” or “button up.”

I, on the other hand, am accurately referred to as a pedantic twerp. I need to get a life.

7. SCott
    11:41 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Should have done recessed mounts for the itinerary screens.

8. That's Live Action!
    11:51 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

1) Win some games 1st!

9. RealityCheck
    11:52 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Anti-coal comments in 3, 2, 1….

10. Diorio's Pizza
    11:57 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

11. Phillip
    11:58 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

WOWWWWWW, Cal is getting fat! But seriously, this is the main story on KSR the day before a football game? The new lodge is more important than our entire football program? This is utterly pathetic.

12. catsfan78
    12:07 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

NCAA rules say you can’t have more than half the building of athletes. SO for football you would need a place for 160+ not 80. Thats called a regular dorm which is why they stay in the Kirwan buildings, or atleast they did when I was going there.
    Hey Phillip, the lodge is more important because recruits see it. What else is there to say before a UK football game besides the freshman will play.
    Go Coal!!!!

13. Linda Taylor
    12:17 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

This is one of many stories on KSR today, and many of us have wanted to see what the new lodge looks like. There is nothing wrong with having a basketball story the day before a football game, especially at KY. If you haven’t noticed, there has been a lot of football coverage on KSR, so lighten up.

14. Linda Taylor
    12:18 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

My post was directed at no. 11.

15. Tomlin
    12:19 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

This was so delightfully written, T3.

16. natboogie
    12:21 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

when Cal was talking about the recliners he said they sit and have their gameboys…Really gameboys….maybe he not as intouch with the youth as we thought….hahahah

17. Jason
    12:23 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I bet Brian Long doesn’t appreciates that recliner

18. HillbillyInBC
    12:29 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

17 – He probably doesn’t appreciate having to use a stepstool to wash his hands in those “built for 7-footers” basins either.

19. Jared
    12:38 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

Why don’t I remember the personal chef when I think back about my dorm experience?

20. WildcatNYC
    12:39 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure it’s amazing on the inside, but damn it’s ugly on the outside. Just like the old wildcat lodge. The tradition continues.

21. sean
    12:46 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

vandy hasnt won games in football but their getting 50 million dollar facilities now, so UK athletics is striving to be vanderbilt

22. Darin
    12:50 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

My personal chef was the toothless guy at the Wildcat Lair. He could make anything too. As long as it was cheeseburgers.

23. lumberjackcat
    12:55 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

In the floor of the craft center they had tile with a 48 49 51 58 78 96 and 98 with a open space. I wonder how they would fix that. I guess paint that.

24. luvmesumcats
    1:06 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

Bet Chef can’t make K-Lair spaghetti or Chicken & Cheese sandwiches. I’d almost bet there’s still some of my spaghetti barf in the carpet on the fourth floor of Haggin Hall.

25. freethrow
    1:15 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

Great Marketing tool. Coach Cal is constantly taking advantage of all he surveys. Coal Lodge, inside at least, is very impressive. Young players checking out coachcal.com are oohing and ahhing from start to finish when watching that I bet and ensuring looks from future recruits. I’m a happy man.

26. jhd
    1:21 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I suppose it’s just tossing a bone in the direction of “anybody could live here” to keep the NCAA at bay, but handicap grab bars in the bathrooms seems ridiculous. Sometimes ADA just gets silly.

27. I Say
    1:29 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

#24 I see you cant handle your alcohol pu$$y

28. Al B. Frank
    1:29 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

26- If a player rolls an ankle or blows out a knee during the season or in a practice and has trouble walking, those grab bars could be useful. Also, players might have relatives and/or visitors that are handicapped and might want to use the facilities. Just a couple of thoughts about your comment.

29. Cawood but his sister Wouldn't
    1:32 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

20 – Agree………….. U-G-L-Y on the outside!!!

30. asdf
    1:37 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

It concerns me that they only left space for one more national championship trophy.

31. kywildcat
    2:23 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

The way KSR let the trolls comment just because it wants the ad revenue is pathetic. At least they moderate over at cats illustrated.

32. The Dude
    3:32 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

31- Ad revenue is based on number of hits based on unique IP addresses, not comments.

33. doublechar
    4:09 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

26 – it’s required by building code

34. Shawn
    5:39 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I hope Brian Long appreciates that recliner.

35. jill
    8:36 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

LOL…Coal Lodge…and you all make fun of the Yum center or the bucket as you all call it…hope your players enjoy the “Lump”

36. jill's a dumbazz
    9:25 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

@35 I heard all your ex boyfriends used to call you the “Lump” or was it the “Hump”? You are so stupid that you don’t realize that without coal our electricity bills would be about 4 to 5 times higher than they are now…your arena is named after a chicken bucket and if there were no KFC, your azz wouldn’t be so fat and everyone’s cholestrol would probably be lower.

37. jill
    12:08 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

And without coal our air would be a lot cleaner.

38. jill's a dumbazz
    2:47 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

And without your nasty breath our air would be much cleaner. Also, why don’t you stop driving an automobile and really clean up the air? Or do you not think that burning gasoline and oil pollutes the air?

39. jill
    2:58 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

That is why a drive a Hybrid…doing my part…you need to stop going to Taco Bell and do yours…

40. jill's a dumbazz
    3:05 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

If people didn’t go to the Taco Bell Drive Thru then you would be out of a job oh wait I forgot it was established the other night that you work at the McDonald’s Drive Thru…and what does “why a drive a Hybrid” mean? Where you trying to say you drive a hybrid? Your poor writing makes it difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

41. jill
    7:29 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

you better run along to your football game so you can get a good seat..oh, never mind there will plenty available….Li Bro will have more than UK….

42. jill's a dumbazz
    9:07 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, little bro will have more ugly fat skank fans, more Crown Royal, more Black and Milds, more felonies, more line beards, more tattooed circus freaks, more skinny white boys who wish they were black, more 45oz cans of malt liquor, more joints…I could go on and on. It’s a shame you had to miss the game so you could work the Drive Thru tonight…and no I don’t “want fries with that”.

43. jill's a dumbazz
    9:15 pm September 8, 2012 Permalink

jill, you must be a “closet” UK fan. Why else would you spend every spare minute of the day coming to a rival school’s site and read every post and make comments on every post? Do you just pretend to be a UofL fan? Is it peer pressure? If you lose some weight and throw away all that ugly red gear you own, we might let you become a UK fan on a probationary basis. I said MAYBE.

44. jill
    12:24 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

#42…Wow…are you a raciest? Nice to know none of your players have tattoo’s….#43..well if i did become a UK fan I know I could get good seats to football games….

45. jill's a dumbazz
    5:59 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

@44 If you are going to call someone a name, please learn to spell it. I do not know what a “raciest” is. What is a “raciest”? I see those public schools served you well. If you stay a Cards fan you can be like all the others and show up late in the first quarter and leave at the end of the third quarter. By the way I never said UK players don’t have tattoos (notice tattoos not “tattoo’s” like you wrote) I was stating that your fans are tattooed circus freaks. So go ahead and lose that extra weight and throw away all that ugly red gear you own and come on up and get a good seat. But just remember, the good seats will only be available until Mitch gets the message and replaces Joker as coach. I seem to remember you Cards did the same thing when Kragthorpe was coaching UofL. That last season you could’ve heard a pin drop at the pizza box during games.

46. jill's a dumbazz
    6:03 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

@44 If you do come up for games, why don’t you bring some extra cheeseburgers from the Drive Thru? We would all enjoy them.

47. jill's a dumbazz
    9:28 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

@44 No lame comeback? Well I am going to delete this page now and will not be checking back so if you do respond, I will not see it.