Teague struggled in debut

(Chicago Tribune)

It wasn’t a great first night out for Marquis Teague in the NBA Summer League. The former Kentucky point guard missed 13 of his 17 shot attempts and committed six turnovers with just one assist in 31 minutes of action in his debut with the Bulls.

He’ll get another go at it today when his team goes up against Terrence Jones and Houston. Jones is averaging 18.5 points and 8.5 rebounds through four summer league games.

Go NBA Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Teague struggled in debut

1. Raging Against the Machine
    10:12 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone else see that ESPN is projecting Royce White to start at power forward over Jones? What do you think about that?

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Doesn’t surprise me with Teague. He’ll improve, just needs to learn the system.

3. HicksPickSix
    10:16 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

1 – That might have been the projection BEFORE the summer league, but I can’t imagine that being the case now. Half of the Rockets’ roster will be gone by the time the season starts anyway, so the chances are pretty high Royce White won’t even be on the team come October.

4. HeshimuEvans2ndGradeTeacher
    10:16 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

1 – That makes perfect sense to me.

People need to stop putting so much stock in the summer league. If you watch the games at all you will be left wondering who the hell some of these folks are. Guys like TJ better be dominating this scene with the little talent he has to go against.

5. MemphisCat
    10:20 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Teague needs to slow down and be the point guard, Cal taught him that at UK and they will do the same at the Bulls, he is not D. Rose and doesn’t need to try to score like D. Rose.
    #1 – Right now Royce White is a beast but he is not in shape, he might start and play 4-5 minutes before Jones takes his place. Jones will log more minutes and should contribute. If White ever get’s in shape, he will be hard to remove from the floor.

6. I Say
    10:21 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

T-Jones should’ve gone top 10!

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:29 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

4 of 17, man those are Kobe numbers. Just kept letting them fly. I bet he didn’t take 17 shots once at UK. But he can’t be timid if he wants to make the squad, he’s got to show what he can do offensively. 2nd round picks have no guaranteed money and I don’t think he’s signed yet.

8. Teague
    10:35 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Like I said yesterday, I am the worst of the UK products this year. How I ever got picked in the 1st round is beyond me, last nights game was a sign of things to come. If I struggle against scrubs that cant even make a team then how do you think i’ll do against NBA guards? Get eaten alive that’s what..

9. Bradley
    10:36 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

7. He was a first round pick who is guaranteed a 3 year deal. Other than that making your entire post irrelevant, good point.

10. Bradley
    10:37 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Teague will be fine. They didn’t draft him to play a ton right away or to be a star in his first summer league game.

11. Bill
    10:45 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

#8 wow, u can determine a career in 1 game? I’m glad you show no basketball knowledge. But if we go by ur logic rivers should be cut too and miles plumlee will make the all-star team. Ur an idiot. Btw, wall averaged 6 turnovers a game as a rookie

12. Teague
    10:46 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Has nothing to do with summer league games, all I did last year was try not to make the team lose, I gave the ball to the stars around me and tried my best not to lose the game for us. I’m very average, you’ll see

13. L1C4
    10:52 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

teague is a punk and we all know it… multiple high school suspensions and couldn’t even finish in the top three for mr. basketball in indiana despite being a top 10 recruit nationally.

14. Teague
    11:01 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m an idiot? You just compared John Wall to Teague. And like I said it has nothing to do with the Summer League, has to do with I actually keep up with basketball and know talent when I see it

15. Teague
    11:06 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

And your “going by your logic” statement was really stupid, why are you referring to other players? I was talking about Teague, your reading comprehension is atrocious

16. L1C4
    11:08 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

I am butthurt Teague picked UK over UL. What was he thinking? Everyone knows Rick can develop point guards better than Cal (see Edgar Sosa, Peyton Siva).

17. Royce White
    11:28 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

I knew having a scary Rocket on my uniform was a bad omen!

18. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    11:37 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

1. Royce will probably start all games that he has time to make it to the site in a car.

19. Shocking
    11:37 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Prediction: Marquis Teague’s career will more closely resembles Orton’s than, say, Wall, Knight, or Bledoe’s…

20. Shocking
    11:39 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

resemble* Ugh, typos.

21. chanechompchon
    11:50 am July 18, 2012 Permalink

Why is Teague taking 17 shots in a game to begin with?

22. UK22
    12:17 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

21. lol true. Give Teague some time and he will be just fine. Loved when Cal let the Cats run with it and let loose during the IU game in the tourney. Teague can fly.

23. Joe
    3:30 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

Royce > T. Jones.

Royce was easily the best player on the court the night we played Iowa State.

Too bad we didn’t sign him because he didn’t have enough since to drive down here.

But we hung #8, so it doesn’t matter.

But Royce was a man playing against boys, not even close. I’d pick Royce all day long over T. Jones.

Royce’s performance was utterly dominating.

What I didn’t understand was why each of our defenders was playing him up close. Royce didn’t take one short more than 6 feet from the basket. They should have played “back off” defense, like defenses do against Rondo, and MADE him take a jumper.

Anybody know why they didn’t transfer to that type of defense, or maybe even switch to a zone? Just bizarre coaching on the defense side of things that game.