Teague not a consensus lottery pick

Larry Vaught caught up with Matt Kamalsky (Draftexpress.com) and Ed Isaacson (NBAdraftblog.com) and neither one of these draft experts have Marquis Teague in their projected lottery for the 2012 NBA draft.

Isaacson thinks Teague’s strong NCAA Tournament play that helped UK win the national championship “opened some eyes” with NBA teams.

“It showed that he had certainly worked on some of his weaknesses from earlier in the year. I would be stunned if he was a lottery pick, and he wouldn’t be one of the first two point guards picked if he came out. If he was to go back and pick up where he ended this season, he will find himself in the lottery conversation, and possibly the first point guard picked next year,” Isaacson said.

Any chance we see Teague back in the blue and white next year if he’s not a lottery pick? He needs to work on certain parts of his game and it wouldn’t hurt our chances to repeat if he’s back in for his sophomore season.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

58 Comments for Teague not a consensus lottery pick

1. T$$$
    5:33 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

He’s gone

2. REAL BLY
    5:34 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

BOOM!!! he comes back!!!

3. Wildcat_Crazy
    5:42 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Jeff Teague showed great improvement in his Sophomore year at Wake Forest, and until then he wasn’t highly looked at by NBA guys. I for one can see the same thing happening for Teague, he may surprise us all and come back for another year.

4. Harrow or Teague?
    5:42 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Ryan Harrow must be really tense right now. Btw, who is better of the two? Teague or Harrow?

5. dave
    5:44 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

he should come back to improve his shot/overall game and could get some extra hype along with it ala kendall marshall this year. but, the roster isn’t set yet & harrow is gonna have to get minutes so it doesn’t necessarily make sense for him to return.

6. Burger
    5:48 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I like Teague, but we are Point Guard U. It’s Harrow’s turn.

7. Big Blue
    5:50 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague and Lamb are DEFINITELY returning. You can thank me later for the early info.

8. TShlew
    5:50 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

4) Personally I prefer Harrow’s game. He’s an absolute dime machine. Not as good at driving the lane as Teague, but still elite. He’s an excellent FT shooter as well, and trust me he’ll get to the line plenty. I love Teague, but I hope he goes and gets his money. I’m too excited to see Harrow play haha.

9. nassau65
    5:54 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

7. i don’t see it. i hope you’re right, but i’m thinking not. JMO

10. jpgott2
    5:59 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

It is not about who’s turn it is! If Teague comes back, it gives us depth at the 1 position we have none at. Harrow and Goodwin are our only Guards that are good enough to play (Polson just does not have the size and athleticism, and Twany Beckham has barely any experience). If Teague is back, Cal will start all three guards at different times. It would be great for his development, and would be great for the teams depth. If UK can get Bennet, and keep Teague, the team will have a legit 8 deep rotation, along with added experience from a Sophmore PG who has a National championship under his belt.

11. Mudcreekmark
    6:01 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague better go because I don’t think he can beat out Harrow at point.I know Harrow was the talk of the town last summer during pick up games.

12. cracka
    6:01 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

lamb and teague are both being hurt by a few spots because guys that would’ve went last year came back because of lockout fears … both guys would normally be a little higher

13. Illini Cat
    6:02 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

TJ came back and helped himself tremendously. Teague comes back and will improve to go top ten after leading us to #9. Harrow will be here 2 more years.

14. Stephanie Preston
    6:04 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I think Teague and Lamb need to
    Come back. It would help a lot.

15. Marcus L. Owens
    6:05 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

We knew this. All the mocks have him 18-25 this inst ground break news. If he returns we go from contender to favorite in my opinion.

16. UK Homer
    6:09 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

13 – Did TJ really help his draft stock by coming back? I thought he was late-lottery both this year and last.

Teague’s decision making and outside game improved…he’d be top 5 with a year of solid shooting and decision making. That said, there’s a risk. Because of the risk and the fact they achieved the ultimate TEAM goal, I would be stunned to see Lamb or Teague return. I want to be surprised though.

17. Marcus L. Owens
    6:09 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Harrow better hope Teague goes because this year with out Teague would be Harrow’s best shot to start, 2013 will bring the Harrison twins and Harrow will be coming off the bench and that will be a good thing.

18. David
    6:09 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I’d prefer Lamb over Teague. He is a much better offensive threat, and like someone said, Ryan harrow can probably hold up his own against Marquis.

19. Marcus L. Owens
    6:11 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

10. Knows what he is talking about.

20. strange brew
    6:15 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I hope Teague stays. The more players that stay along with UK’s new-comers means a better team. If it was up to me Davis, MKG and Lamb would all stay.

21. Marcus L. Owens
    6:19 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Harrow is 5’11 and 160 pounds he didn’t light the world on fire at NC st and was a 4* coming out of HS. I trust that he can play but small guards have trouble finishing in the lane and are defensive liabilities. Teague has proven him self on this level as an elite defender, playmaker and leader. I would prefer to have Teague starting along side Goodwin with Harrow coming off the bench. After being spoiled with Wall 6’4, BK 6’3, Teague 6’2 forgive me for being noncommittal on a 5’11 160 pound former 4* leading my beloved Cats.

22. Dane Brammage
    6:20 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague was successful in 2011-2012.
    Time to step up to the next level.
    Lamb too.
    Make room.

No room? No trophies.

23. Travis Ford's Jersey
    6:20 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Everyone is worried about what happened to Harrow if Teague comes back. I personally think it would be the best thing to happen to this program since hiring Cal. If he comes back we can actually have star power depth at most positions. Teague comes back then you have Harrow backing him up. 2013 comes around and you have the Harrison twins playing with harrow. It’s a win win situation all around

24. Mark Liptak
    6:21 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Steve Kerr a few weeks ago in the USA Today, commented on Teague along these lines, “I don’t know of any NBA G.M.’s who look at him right now and say, there’s our point guard.”

Teague has improved since the start of the year but he is still very inconsistent for a point guard, he needs to stay a second year and get more experience.

Wonder what his brother is tellingf him?

Mark Liptak

25. Carol Burnette Show
    6:22 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Anytime I have the option of a National Champion point guard coming back.. I’m taking that option. I think there’s a real chance that Lamb and Teague come back. I think it’s only fair to mention a month or so ago I would always write really negative comments about Teague and I thought he might potentially cause us to lose.. Boy was I wrong.

26. Blue Balls
    6:22 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

If Davis, MKG, Jones, Lamb, and Teague come back next year we would be really good

27. DesignatedDrinker
    6:23 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague and Harrow could play together, but I don’t see any of the 5 returning. Although they are saying Lamb may have slipped to 2nd round. Those 2 could probably make more money by returning.

28. UK Homer
    6:23 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague + Harrow ’12-’13

Vs

Wall + Bledsoe ’09-’10

Which do you prefer?

29. Richard P.
    6:25 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Teague wouldn’t start at UofL next year! Point. Blank. Period!

30. Travis Ford's Jersey
    6:27 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

@26 I see what you did there.

31. Marcus L. Owens
    6:28 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

23. You get it. We haven’t had PG depth since Cal’s arrival but we have it if Teague returns. Two centers and two PGs is a great advantage along with Kyle, Alex and Archie throw in Bennett and Cal may achieve his perfect season next year.

32. rodgers
    6:42 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Luckily under Cal we arent one of those programs that begs kids to come back. We are gonna be a contender next year regardless of any of the starters’ decisions. That being said Teague as is has more cons than pros when it comes to going pro. The pg position is at its’ apex in the L and this year is a strong draft class overall. Teague’s family is not in financial trouble with his bro in the L and even if he is playing more off the ball the improvement of his shot and defending bigger players would be a plus

33. Viren
    6:44 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I would be happy if Teague came back for one more season. Like someone said earlier, you can not have enough depth PG is a very important position. The last two seasons we have been lucky we did not suffer any major injury. You never know what is going to happen in a contact sport. If KM does not get hurt who knows Heels might have found themselves in New Orleans. I am glad Cal always have a back up plan just in case Teague decides to go we still have a very capable 5 star PG in Ryan Harrow. I would love to see Doron Lamb come back more than anyone to be honest with you we need a reliable 3 point jump shooter in the team. Go Cats

34. kywildcat
    6:49 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Gone Baby Gone

35. Big Blue 66
    6:49 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

first off, this kid navigated the team to a National Championship, so anyone thinking that you wouldnt start him next year is nuts, second, teague was never looked upon as a lottery pick, so thats not huge news. If he is a certain 1st rounder, I think he goes and I think he is a certain first rounder.

36. rodgers
    6:50 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

13 — Did TJ really help his draft stock by coming back? I thought he was late-lottery both this year and last.

Jones draft stock didnt improve, but it is also more likely that he is able to have success in the L. Anthony Davis along with greats like kobe/LeBron were not only physically ready for the game at its highest level they were mentally prepared as well. Kids like TJ and Teague arent immature they are just average 19 and 20 year olds who need some experience before they are to become a pro. Jones is much more ready mentally for the draft this year, Teague would be better off next year

37. tyrus
    6:55 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

It’s all about the money.

38. Chuck
    6:55 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

He’s gone. I don’t see him NBA ready yet, but he is certainly gone. From what I understand, it is a weak draft at point guard. If Harrow is as good as advertised, I don’t think Teague would want to share time. Yeah, he’s gone.

39. Jason
    6:57 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

He is going to have a really hard time staying around if all of his friends leave. He will feel left behind and I just don’t see that happening.

40. Bob Day
    7:00 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

The good news for Marquis Teague is that he and family will be able to decide his next steps without the need to muddle through the garbage advice and opinions that abound around here.

41. Marcus L. Owens
    7:04 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

@40 you right about that.

42. The Cheese
    7:07 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

40- Wtf do you think the comment section is for? To talk about gardening? Thanks for your insight, moron.

43. Illini Cat
    7:08 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

36 that’s my point TJ is more ready to play physically and mentally.
    It takes both in the league to be in it for the long haul.
    I believe he may have upset some gm or coaches had he not learned to play team ball and
    Understood he wasn’t the man… Yet. He’ll do great when they do their interviews with the teams before the draft. Teague will be better and shud stay for the same reasons.

44. GoBigBlue
    7:11 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Cal wants 6 first rounders. The more players Cal puts in the league, the easier recruiting is. Plain and simple.

45. NL
    7:16 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

If Teague does come back, I think Cal will start both he and harrow. Cal has proved he will play two PG’s at the same time. I don’t think Teague should be the least concerned with not getting his minutes. You guys realize if Teague and Lamb leave we only have Harrow and Goodwin as legitimate high caliber guards right? A lot of teams keep 3 guards on the floor at all times. So why would Teague not continue to get 30+ minutes per game?

46. barn
    7:23 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

21—harrow was a rivals 5 star and 6th best pg in the class of ’10. i prefer taller guards too, and although i’ve never seen him play, everything i hear and read says he’ the real deal.

47. NL
    7:23 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

#21-Harrow is 6’2” and weighs 175 now. I live in Marietta where he played HS ball. The kid can play, but some depth would be nice at the guard spot and at the PF spot

48. Therealtruth
    7:43 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

lamb is coming back and Teauge is gone. Lamb tweeted out last night he is coming back.

49. Jon-n-ky
    7:47 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Can’t start 2 6 ft guards. Huge defensive liability. Teague would start but harrow would steal a lot of minutes.. He should go but id love to have him back. Have u guys seen goodwin play? He has great handles, quick, can pass and score hes tough. N what ive seen of poythress hes a beast

50. Richard P.
    7:48 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

^ Proof, let’s see it. I heard he was looking at the Derby City.

51. Rixter
    8:26 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

If you compare Teague’s stats to Harrow’s, other than free throw shooting, Teague had better numbers in every category.

52. capnmonkey
    8:56 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

If he’s a top ten pick next year it’s worth about 5 million over the duration of his rookie contract.
    If he doesn’t come back, dude really doesn’t like being in school.

53. [email protected]
    9:40 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Did you see is performance in the NC game. Two critical 3s, a nice up and under around the basket (14 its) not too shabby.

54. DUKESUCKS
    10:19 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

He’s gone.People be real.He will be a first round pick Probably will go to a good team and be in a better position on his second contract and that is we’re the real money is . Kinda like Rondo did.

55. Big V
    11:14 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

I want teague to stay in the worst way, but I think he will probably go to the NBA. Where does that leave us for next year. Will we try to add another guard some where or will we go with Hood, Beckham, and Polson as the backup guards?

56. BG Cat Fan
    11:21 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Calipara expects either Teague or Lamb or both to come back, otherwise he would have recruited another guard. Teague is the most likely, doesn’t need the money and stands to gain the most from another year. Calipara has shown he likes two point guards, they will play together and be the best guard combo in the country. Repeat!

57. green thumb
    12:17 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

@ 42

Wait! This isn’t a Gardening blog? $%&!$#!, I’m in the wrong place….thanks guys!

58. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:03 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

I’d love to see Teague return, but if he gets indications he’ll be a 1st round pick, he’s gone, and I don’t blame him. The opinions of these “draft experts” don’t matter. Teague will likely get better info from Cal and his connections to NBA GMs. That will be the info that matters.