Teague is a candidate for the Cousy award

teague2

The Bob Cousy Award is given to college basketball’s top point guard every year and Marquis Teague is on the radar for the 2012 honor. Teague is on the long list of award candidates that will be narrowed down to a top 20 on January 1st. The list will go down to a top 10 in February and then the top 5 finalists will be announced on March 1st.

Kemba Walker won the award last season and Greivis Vasquez took the honors over John Wall in 2010. Haters.

Teague is averaging 10.8 points, 4.6 assists, and 2.7 turnovers for Kentucky this season. He’s had just 7 turnovers with 30 assists in Kentucky’s last 5 games.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Teague is a candidate for the Cousy award

1. Don't Be Jealous
    1:56 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Vasquez over Wall….I laughed.

2. Fake Lou Holtz
    1:58 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Shomeone should give thish man a shcholarship simply based on the way he shows off his jockshtrap.

3. old_school
    1:58 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

good point guards hit their free throws.
    Epps
    Ford
    Macy
    Turner
    etc, etc, etc,

4. Guck Foodman.
    2:03 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

old_school, you suck man. My guess is that you are much worse at your job than Teague is at his.

5. DEasy
    2:06 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

This picture is disturbing.

6. SexnNursinHomes
    2:08 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

3- old_fool- Teague is 7th in the nation in the +/- dept. AFTER HIS FIRST 10 GAMES OF HIS COLLEGE CAREER, but you ignore those facts because it ruins your agenda. I hope someone shits in your Xmas stocking, you GD Grinch.

7. Fat ninja
    2:11 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Who else thinks kyle macey should keep his mouth shut im so tired of hearing what he would do does he realize if he knew what to do someone one would pay him to do it

8. CatBlue in LR
    2:12 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

I can see Marquis’ jock strap — YUK!

9. bamaCAT
    2:17 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

For real though, Teague’s recent play has been just what we need. Hell make the final list if he keeps this up. His jumper is pretty ugly but I think its better than John Wall’s was at this point in his career. Teague is going to have to win us some games moving forward, particularly if Davis gets in foul trouble and Terrence stays in his slump. He’s got the talent in my opinion to be every bit as good if not better than Brandon Knight down the stretch.

10. DREWBLUE
    2:17 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Marquis needs to spend less time in the gym and work on his tan.

11. over the hills and far away
    2:19 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Rightous !

12. The Fake Matt Jones
    2:19 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Is that pic photo shopped? I couldn’t tell

13. Hootie
    2:23 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

That’s one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I want to take my brain out and scrub it.

14. BBN
    2:27 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

9. I’m sorry, but nothing about Teague’s game is better than Wall’s at this point. Wall was way ahead of where Teague is right now at this point in his career. Having said that, Teague has played well the last game and a half and I hope he continues to improve. He has definitely showed playmaking/leadership abilities and I look forward to the point this season where he gets it. I think it’ll be like a switch, and after that switch is made, this team will be scary. As long as they stay healthy and keep all of their fingers that is.

15. Kernel Sanders
    2:29 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Nice chest hair. Is the body of this pic Scott Howard from Teen Wolf?

16. MN CAT
    2:38 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

14–at least lately, Teague is turning the ball over less than Wall did (if memory serves).

17. Zach
    2:41 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Teague has played very well lately, but he’s done it quietly. He’s just doing his job. Outside shooting needs to improve exponentially, but he’s been playing very well. To be honest, though, he’s likely not a first-round pick at this point, regardless what projections say. Which may be a good thing for the Cats.

18. BPsycho
    2:48 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Brandon Knight is amazing and will tear the NBA up.

/postitcauseIfeellikeit

19. CATS
    2:50 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

14.) As a fanbase we tend to have the problem of distorting our memory. Because John Wall was a god in our eyes we will remember him as a much better player, but the truth is at this point in his career he was TO machine. He made amazing plays and yes, he one a lot of games for us bc he could get to the basket like no other. However, Teague is better at mid-range to three point shooting and protecting the ball at this point. Now if you look at shooting free throws, getting to the rim, and completing insane plays well its not even close. John takes the cake.

20. CATS
    2:50 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

won*

21. Jackie
    2:53 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Marquis is progressing nicely. Things are looking really good for the end of the year.

22. Real Cats Fan
    2:54 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Wow, nice photoshop guys – someone will need to teach you all how to match skin color. Yeah, I know, you meant to do it that way to present it “in the most ridiculous way possible”. 🙂

Does anyone think that today’s college athletes would boycott college basketball if they were forced to play in the uniforms that were used back then? Damn, that hurts to look at! I keep worrying that we are going to end up seeing something that resembles a baby bird.

23. bung
    3:02 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

macy could teach free throw technique and pratt fast break stuff…they both know what they are talking about

24. Don
    3:05 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Read last line…

John Calipari
    Wow! Are people really making a big deal out of the fact that I don’t look at my website? Do you realize that I already know what’s on my website, my twitter, my Facebook and my TV/radio show? Eric and DeWayne let me know what the feedback is on everything so I can focus on my team and still engage with the Big Blue Nation. I don’t do social media for my own entertainment. I do it for the Big Blue Nation and to give our fans an inside look into THEIR program. I’m sure a reporter or blogger doesn’t go back and read their own posts/stories either. Or do they??? I could be wrong. Let me jump on this plane. I’ll have a surprise for the BBN when I land.

25. old_school
    3:23 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Kyle Macy should be considered the STANDARD when it comes to point guards at Kentucky.

He was the quintessential pass-first “coach-on-the-floor” point guard who was a threat to score and was a sure-thing at the free-throw line.

No – he wasn’t the NBA all-star that Wall, Knight and possible Teague may be – but he one of the best COLLEGE point guards of all time – and last I saw – Kentucky still is competing at the college level.

And to top it all off – he led the 1978 Kentucky team to the NCAA Title – something Wall, Knight and maybe Teague will NEVER be able to boast of.

Simply put – anyone trying to diminish Macy’s spot as one of the best to ever wear the Blue and White are either too young to appreciate his talents, biased toward an era they know little about, or they actually think this year’s team could beat that 78 squad. If you are of the latter opinion – I can only pity your ignorance.

I’d take Robey over Davis
    Phillips over Jones
    Givens over Kidd-Gilchrist (as a freshmen – I’ll give that kid credit – he’s a very good player and great hustler)
    Macy over Teague
    I’d give Miller a slight edge over Casey

But Shidler, Lee, and the rest of that 78 bench was heads and shoulders above anything coming of Cal’s bench.

26. old_school
    3:27 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

That should read: biased against…

27. old_school
    3:30 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Left out Truman Claytor too.

Anyone remember that NCAA tournament game against Fla. State in 78 – Joe Hall benched most of the starters at the beginning of the second half for poor play and the subs led them back to the lead.

That’s what a good bench will do for you – not that Cal would know anything about that.

28. here ya go
    4:03 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

27) that;s the game hall said that every starter on the team needs t thank the bench.. because they absolutely outplayed our all-americans.

29. Carl
    4:06 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

What’s wrong with that picture? Teague has some hairy legs. Does he really wear Chuck Taylors during the game?

30. Carl
    4:10 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

#25-26, join the 21st century. They don’t groom kids to be Kyle Macy anymore. You have to start that in grade school. There’s not alot of demand for slow kids that can’t jump. The pace of the games has changed with the intorduction of the shot clock.

It’s unreasonable to compare the style of guards playing today to the guards that played THIRTY EFFING YEARS AGO !!

31. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    4:37 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

hahaha great photoshop

32. Jaws2
    4:38 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey #30, forget the game changes, that 78 team would beat this years team no doubt. These guys today would run away from the muscle on the 78 team. I’d say Gilchrist is the only player on this team that would man up against the 78 team. The 78 team would push Davis off the court and no way Jones muscles with Lee.

33. You cant handle the Truth
    4:54 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Gots to love the Chucky Ts

34. taint tapper
    5:15 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

macy was a good player but hes a terrible commentator.

35. Fat ninja
    5:28 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

And macey was aa terrible coach he should leave cal alone

36. Steve Fitts
    9:37 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

That photo sure gives a whole new meaning to the term “biracial!”

37. TheColoradoWildcat
    2:30 am December 20, 2011 Permalink

#7 – What you say is probably true; however, it would also apply to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the folks that reply to the posts here also…:-) I mean, some of these folks have an “unbelievable” grasp of the game.