Tayshaun Prince Honors Former Teammate

tayshaun-pros-game

Photo by Pine Mountain Photography

Lost a bit in the shuffle of last night’s great event was an extremely thoughtful act by former Cat Tayshaun Prince. Rather than wearing his traditional #21 jersey, Tayshaun Prince decided to wear #32 in honor of his former teammate Desmond Allison. Prince came into UK with Allison and the two were very close during their time in Lexington. Tayshaun decided that his return was a perfect chance to honor his teammate, who was killed just last month. He told me after the game,

I was very close to Desmond and I think he is a guy who a lot of people misunderstood. He gave two good years to this program and I thought tonight was a great chance to honor him in the arena where he used to play. When they called and asked me to play, they said that they assumed I would want number 21. But I asked for 32 to remember my teammate who I used to play with in this same building. I hope people remember him for the good things and I was glad to get to honor him.

Keith Bogans also participated, putting #32 on his shoes and both players said they mentioned Allison to their UK Legends teammates before the game. A great act from Tayshaun and Keith, two great Cats both on and off the floor.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

12 Comments for Tayshaun Prince Honors Former Teammate

1. mdsd10
    4:48 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

classy move.

2. seenvic
    4:55 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

RIP DA. I always like DA. He and Eric Daniels were favs of mine just did good things on the floor. Good move by Prince. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Flag City Cat
    4:56 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

Now that’s how family rolls!

Pure Class

4. lisa
    4:59 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

tayshaun has always been a classy dude. i was so proud to see him last nite and i am touched my his tribute.

5. UKIreland
    4:59 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

This is no way surprising! It’s a classy move by 2 classy players.

6. bti sucks
    5:15 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for explaining that – I was a bit curious. I’m honestly not that surprised by Keith and Tay.

It’s easy for a player to be misunderstood when we let the media guide our opinions, as apposed to trusting the player’s teammates. Every time I hear Colin Cowherd say something stupid about John or somebody call Demarcus a thug, I just disregard. I don’t think Pat, Ramon, Mark or Perry have ever said anything like that about the ’09 class, and they would know better than anybody except family.

7. Buzzard
    5:18 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

What a great night it was last night! Prince is a great player and even better person.
    RIP Desmond Allison

8. twnky
    5:29 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

Yet another reason to love Tayshaun.

9. tom5673
    8:48 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

very cool.

10. ChairmanRowe
    10:40 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

You know, I was wondering if that was the reason last night while watching the choppy live stream out here in Denver. Tayshaun will always be my favorite recent Cat b/c we’re the same age and took a class together at UK. Granted it was one of those 300+ person Biology classes, but that’s nitpicking. Oh yeah…there’s also that game against UNC.

11. BravoBigBlue
    10:44 pm August 16, 2011 Permalink

Two of my favorite Cats are these two teammates. They were a great compliment to one another and there were a lot of memorable moments from their teams. Very nice gesture and shows their hearts are in the right place.

12. Carl
    8:29 am August 17, 2011 Permalink

Tayshaun and Keith were both great guys and class acts while at Kentucky. I’m not surprised they honored Desmond.