Taking the Clay Travis Football Bet

clay

You may or may not know who Clay Travis is. For many of you, a Nashville radio host/UT fan is probably not your biggest concern, and thus the name and the beard are foreign to you. However if you are a major SEC college football fan or you live within the Nashville area, you probably know Clay Travis as the top Kentucky hater in the state of Tennessee. He likes to make fun of Kentucky fans for sport and makes no bones about suggesting that Kentucky fans are the dumbest in major college sports. Over the years I have had a back and forth relationship with Clay, generally liking him, but at times getting frustrated with his methods. Nevertheless, he is an intelligent guy, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy watching him eat crow.

Today, Clay Travis tweeted that he made a $1,000 bet on Kentucky to win under 4.5 games in football this year. For the $1,000 bet, Clay will win $689, meaning of course that UK is getting odds.

Sometimes I am accused of being negative about the football program (I don’t think that is a fair charge, but so be it) and some think I am a non-believer in the team this year. So what better way to put an end to those charges than putting my money where my mouth is. So with Clay’s pronouncement against Kentucky football, KSR will go the other way…$1,000 on the Cats to win at least 5, while also getting odds in the process.

Here we go Joker, I got faith…let’s get it done.

Article written by Matt Jones

63 Comments for Taking the Clay Travis Football Bet

1. Celticben
    1:59 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

A fool and his money are soon parted. 4-8 is a virtual lock.

2. CATZFANZ
    2:04 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

DUMB

3. Papa Johnny
    2:09 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

When you win Matt, that will give you about $5.50 profit per each of the 125 players. I would think that some pizza place in Lexington would cut you a deal and you could deliver a large pepperoni pizza to each team member when they win gave 5, with a sticker that says go for 6.

4. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    2:10 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

It won’t be easy money, but I like the gumption and putting your stones on the line. Go get’em Team KSR!

5. OneAndDone
    2:11 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

So glad this pick was tweeted. Listened to the show this morning and was hoping Clay would produce a picture. This could make for a very interesting game in Knoxville and a fantastic radio week leading up to it. Go Cats!

6. SymonSays
    2:12 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Brilliant move Matt, not only do you just pay for Ryan’s salary for the next 3 years, but in the process you just created one of the most exciting seasons for yourself to watch ever. I will be taking that same action but only for $200.00 #CatsOverClay

7. Don Key
    2:12 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis looks like Pau Gasol.

8. BT
    2:12 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

He definitely isn’t going to bet on the vols.
    They suck as much as he does!!

9. UK on Vine
    2:14 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

The sign above says it all. Clay Travis – Dicks last resort. Need us UK fans say more?

10. Patrick Whelan
    2:14 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

The clinching game will, in all likelyhood, be the season finale in Knoxville. How much fun will that game be for you two?

11. SymonSays
    2:14 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

^ not only “did” you just pay, not “do”…

12. UKBlue
    2:20 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

This guy is just a mouth who is nothing but a shit stirrer. How anyone from Tennessee could ever make fun of someone from KY, kettle meet pot. Maybe someone should tell him Tennessee also now sucks.

13. FlashOfBlue
    2:23 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

^ Grammar Goalie ^ with a glove save…..

14. Steely Dan
    2:23 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Can somebody explain to someone who doesn’t ever gamble, the logic of placing $1,000 on a bet that will only pay $689?

15. Jeff
    2:25 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Why give the douchebag any pub at all. He would gladly spit in the face of every Kentucky fan possible. He is the Jim Rome of Nashville…just a loud mouth punk hiding behind a microphone. If you have ever seen him in person, you would just laugh at the poor little pathetic boy. He is the reason I don’t listen to 104.5…just change the dial to 102.5 and listen to George and Willy. I would pay money for Matt and douchebag to have a celebrity death match…LOL

16. Vick
    2:26 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Why to go Matt! I think we will win at least 5 games. I’m not exactly pumped for the season but I think we’re going to be better than everyone thinks. And it will make it even sweeter if an ass like Clay Travis loses some money in the process!

17. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:28 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

1 – I think we can all agree there are 3 locks, WKU, Kent State, and Samford. Who’s the 4th win coming against? Vandy? That game is a tossup in itself. After that, 1 more has to come for KSR to win this bet. There’s going to need to be some magic to get one more win, but I could see them pulling off one of the wins in the “could win” category below. Those games are either a rivalry game or at home against a mid-tier SEC squad.

Locks: WKU, Kent State, and Samford
    Should Win: Vandy
    Could Win: MSU (at UK), SC (at UK), UT (at Tenn), UL (at UL)
    No shot: UF, Ark, Mizz, GA

18. smiddy911
    2:29 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#14 $689 profit on a $1000 wager – total being paid on a winning ticket is $1689.

19. Reese
    2:31 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

15- if the person bets $1000 and wins $689 they will get $1689 back from the gambling service.

20. Reese
    2:32 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

14*

21. suz
    2:34 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Love the intent behind the gesture … but BOYS are so stupid. Always pounding their chests.

22. ThereIsNoLogic
    2:34 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

18 I think 14 gets that. I think the question is ‘why would someone do that?’. When I go to Keeneland and bet $2, I’m not gonna throw money on a horse that’s only gonna win me $1, lol. If you’re gonna throw down a grand, you should do it to win more than a grand. And 14, I think the answer to your questions is “Because the person making the bet doesn’t care about the money, they are trying to make a point.” In this case, Travis’ point is just that UK sucks so its his way of insulting us. In other cases I think people just do it bc they want to prove they can pick the winner.

23. dont lie
    2:35 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt, way to NOT show the ticket for your 10k bet that the CATS don’t win 4.5+. I appreciate that you did this – but all it really does is tell me you either have too much damn money or you will be flat broke before too terribly long.

Wonder if Joker will put his money where his mouth is and put a little cashola on the CATS???

24. smiddy911
    2:36 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Why the $311 difference? Because Vegas has the under 4.5 wins for the cats a favorite against the over 4.5 wins. The favorite pays -145 (or bet $145 to win $100)

25. Steve Fitts
    2:39 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I’ll bet yo mama doesn’t approve of you gamblin’!

26. Pabloco
    2:39 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#15-Right there with you. I used to listen to 104.5 a lot and ignored the UK stuff. Haters gonna hate. He has gotten so ridiculous I can’t even turn it on. Yappy buffoon.

27. smiddy911
    2:40 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

22 – Not exactly… Money lines are easier to win be its a bit more of a “gamble”. You’re not giving or receiving points.. You’re just not getting paid as much if the favorite wins… basically betting a little more money if you take the favorite. Why should anyone pay you on a bet vs any team.

28. SymonSays
    2:42 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#13 You can be a goalie and save a slapshot that you yourself took…

29. Matt
    2:42 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Can you make these bets online. I gamble when I visit vegas, but am always afraid to bet online because I don’t know a secure website.

30. Hound Dog
    2:42 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

How can anybody whose fan base wears the ugliest shade of orange refer to someone else’s fans as “dumbest” is beyond me.

31. Matt from Hodgenville
    2:46 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

A Tennessee fan calling Kentucky fans dumb….that’s rich.

32. Beavis
    2:47 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Would not bet a nickel on them winning three games.

33. Numberator
    2:47 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Figured out how to tell the Harrison twins apart. Aaron (#2) has 2 As in his name. As long as he wears #2 in the future it will be easy to tell who is who.

34. ThereIsNoLogic
    2:49 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

27 I’m sure my answer doesn’t fit every situation but my main point was that Travis didn’t place this bet to win money. He did it to be a smart as$ and try to throw an insult at UK, saying we won’t win more than 4 games. If you are a true gambler, I’m sure you don’t care to place bets that don’t win as much money as you risk. But the question I answered was posed by someone who doesn’t gamble, so I’m pretty sure they were just wondering why he would throw down a lot of money for a little reward. If Travis wasn’t such a UK hater I would think your answer is more applicable than mine. Then again maybe I’m totally wrong and that isn’t what 14 meant.

35. catsforever
    2:50 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#17 i love uk athletics, BUT Western will probably beat us this year. i hate to say it, none of those are locks.

36. ukman98
    2:54 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

22) i would trade $1000 for $1689 8 days a week. if its a good bet who cares if you dont double your money or better you still win $689.

37. ThereIsNoLogic
    2:58 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

36 you are right, most bets aren’t gonna pay you more than you bet. Long shots do that. I was making a joke about the Keeneland thing. There is logic in placing a bet to earn less money than you gambled, I get that. I should change the name I answered with. I really should have just stopped with the point that Travis isn’t making this bet to win $689, lol.

38. ThereIsLogic
    3:00 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Edit to post 22: #14, the logic is that $1,689 is more than $1,000. The reason Travis made this bet is to be a jackass.

39. RC
    3:01 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Hate to say it but I think Clay gets paid on this one. If you think there are 5 guaranteed wins this season you’re an eternal optimist. I forsee tough sledding this season in the SEC. Very tough.

40. DiverSteve
    3:04 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis is an idiot. I live in Nashville, and used to listen to 104.5 – until they hired him. He constantly makes unfounded statements about every one – not just UK – and insults callers. I complained to the station, and then switched to 102.5. I also posted on FB how much I hated him and had switched from their network. I got numerous replies from friends that had also turned off 104.5 all because of Clay. I even removed them from my presets! I never heard anything intelligent ever come out of his mouth.

41. JEMP
    3:07 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

42. Steely Dan
    3:09 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

22) No, I’m that out of touch with gambling. Thank you 18 and 19

43. Towns
    3:10 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

I live in TN and listen to this clown on a daily basis. I would give $1000 to his favorite charity to box him for 3 min.

44. teedoff1148
    3:10 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

I live in Franklin, KY just across the TN border (thank God) and used to listen to 104.5 every afternoon. I have also switched to 102.5 in the afternoon because Travis is a hater!! Haters gonna hate but I decided to tune out the idiot!! He can’t stand the fact that UK’s total athletic program is so much better than TN. He may win his bet, but he will always be a LOSER!!!

45. Kenny Rogers
    3:11 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#36 This isn’t a trade. I would trade it too. Would I gamble it? Not unless I had $1,000 to burn. If I have $1,000 to burn why would I care about $689? It’s not like this is a sure thing. It’s just Travis being a low down dirty UK hater.

46. GogglesUp
    3:14 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Geez 42 it sounds like you are that out of touch with common sense as well. Did you really think he would just get $689 back if he wins instead of $1689? Good grief.

47. Mark Liptak
    3:22 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Rather than throwing your money away like that Matt, it would have been better served being given to a charity.

Me thinks you’re going to lose that thousand.

Mark Liptak

48. blitzedanddazed
    3:27 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt, Hopefully you called Kent Spencer b/f placing your bet. I am sure Spencer would give you some “idiot” advice.

49. blitzedanddazed
    3:29 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Kent Spencer yesterday, Clay Travis today. Damn Matt!

50. wubwub
    3:47 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis doesn’t hate Kentucky, he just thinks Kentucky football sucks and that some of its basketball fans are obsessive. He’s not really wrong on either count. He also has a man crush on James Franklin, and went to Vanderbilt despite claiming to be a UT fan, which is why most actual UT fans dislike him.

51. jake the snake
    3:47 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #35. WKU game is anything but a lock. Cats will be favored, but not by much.

52. BTB
    3:51 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

50. Sounds like you have a man crush yourself….

53. J Green
    3:52 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Hate on Clay Travis all you want, but he clearly knows more about football, especially SEC football than Matt Jones. He probably knows more than anybody on KSR period. He’s a Tennessee fan so of course he’s going to crack on UK sports. Just like 65% of the stuff on this site is devoted to making fun of Tennessee & Louisville. But if anybody thinks UK is winning more than 4 games this year they are on crack. Looks like Mr. Travis has him some easy money. And of course Matt Jones is dumb enough to waste $1000 just to prove a point. Why not sure that $1K to make a better website. I’m heading back over to OutkickTheCoverage now.

54. 96cats98
    4:22 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

I love the cats and all, but…..

1 – Is this a Matt Jones bet or a KSR bet?? He says he’ll make the bet, then at the end of the post says “KSR will go the other way”. Now, I know there are probably some of you at KSR who do “go the other way”, but are there any of you dumb enough to put your money where Matt’s mouth is??

2 – Man up Jones. Post a picture of the ticket to prove your boast!

55. Your Mom called...
    4:24 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

@ 53…I just told some fellow SEC folks at my office today about the ying-yang character of KSR. Great for basketball, yet a complete dumping ground for delusion and incompetence when it comes to football. What do I come back to 2 hours later? Ah yes…this post. The gift that keeps on giving. Good work KSR.

56. dick gosinia
    4:24 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

It all rides on the Smell game. We beat Smell – and we will win 6 games. We lose and we will only win 3, 4 tops. GBB!

57. Beavis
    4:39 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t hate Clay Travis,,,have not listened to him,,don’t know him,,,don’t care. But from what I hear and read,,,he has lost any relevance and credibility so he strikes out at everyone and anything around him. Old trick to boost your ratings but it sounds like his is running out of listeners.

58. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:39 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

35 – Try telling that to Casual Gamer Reed.

59. Larry
    5:48 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

Well done Matt. Nothing sucks like a Tennessee Orange fan. Well a filthy Card would.As you always say “Go Cats”

60. Ready. 5
    5:58 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

You are toast, Matt.

61. The Big Toe
    6:57 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

I hope you are getting better odds than him. I’m not a big gambler, but the risk/reward doesn’t seem worth it. I think they will get beat by Western, but still win 6 games. Willie Taggart has got that team rocking. Don’t forget, this is only their fourth year in the BCS.

62. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    7:39 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

dude looks identical to pau gasol

63. macon_volfan
    10:26 pm July 26, 2012 Permalink

#50-I went to Transy. Many of my fellow TU alums are UK fans. I’m a UT fan. Clay went to Vandy for law school. He grew up a UT fan. His grandfather played for Neyland. One doesn’t need to go to a school to be a fan. Conversely, on can go to a school and NOT be a fan (a la Matt Jones and Duke Law)