Super Quick Primer: Princeton Tigers

princeton-bball

Located:  Princeton, NJ

Conference:  Ivy League

Head Coach:  Sydney Johnson (fourth season)

2010-11 Record:  25-6 (12-2)

Best Wins:  Harvard (twice), Rutgers?

Worst Loss:  Presbyterian

Notable Opponents:  Duke (lost 97-60), UCF (lost 68-62)

Top Players:  Kareem Maddox (13.9 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.8 blocks), Ian Hummer (13.9 points, 6.7 rebounds), Dan Mavraides (12.7 points, 4.6 rebounds)

Famous Basketball Alumni: Major League pitcher Chris Young, former Senator Bill Bradley, Kings president Geoff Petrie, Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino, Georgetown coach John Thompson III

Three Things The Media Will Beat Into The Ground This Week:

1.  One and Done vs. Ivy – We went through this last year when Kentucky played Cornell and we’ll likely get the same barrage this year.  Hey, Princeton guys won’t go to the NBA!  Some Kentucky guys won’t stay all four years!  Easy story!  Would love to see the first guy who takes this easy way out and then slights the academic mammoth that is Brandon Knight.  You’re better than that, media.  I think.

2.  Princeton vs. UCLA 1996 – It’s already one of the most shown pieces of footage in CBS’ vault and it’s only going to kick up this year for you as Princeton coach Sydney Johnson played on that team.  If you don’t know who “that team” is or what “that piece of footage” is, you’re not ready for this tournament.  Bone up.

3.  The Harvard Game – I’ll admit that I’m not sure I can get tired of hearing about this.  In their second meeting this year, Harvard beat Princeton and the players and fans celebrated on the court, though they had only clinched a share of the title.  Princeton coach Sydney Johnson made his team sit on the bench and watch the entire celebration.  Obviously, the Tigers won the one-game playoff.  I like that.

Oh, hell, here you go.  Slackers.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

91 Comments for Super Quick Primer: Princeton Tigers

1. gcat4496
    6:16 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Pelphrey is looking for a new job.

2. Andy
    6:21 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Great, another week of smart kids vs dumb kids

3. nKy_UK_fan
    6:22 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Florida is not a 2 seed!!!!!! What a joke!!!

4. Matt
    6:23 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

F*CK THE NCAA – Might as well not even play, if the NCAA rigged it this much, you know they are rigging the officiating as well…

5. Game Time
    6:24 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Anybody know the game time?

6. biwinning
    6:25 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

As a Harvard student I hope UK absolutely crushes Princeton.

7. BRob
    6:26 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

NCAA is a bunch of suits who know nothing about basketball and instead simply look at the mascots and try to judge based on that.

8. ShagOnSports
    6:27 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

They need to stop allowing the NCAA tourney group to drink liquor and smoke crack on selection weekend… It is clouding their judgement!!!

9. Mr Schwump
    6:27 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

5, stripes will play a roll. Will we continue to see Jones get pounded when he goes to the hole and it called like 1 out of every 6 times? And if the NCAA shits on UK like this can stripes be far behind?

10. Bracket Busted
    6:29 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

This garbage pit of a bracket just goes to show that conference tournaments mean nothing but auto-bids….this stuff is decided a week before and if you weren’t good then, the you dont make it. Garbage.

11. RidgeRunner
    6:30 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m still so pissed at the NCAA & Fla getting that 2 seed. Then, the damn idiots put them in Tampa, Florida as well!

12. Jones a lottery pick??????
    6:30 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

It is what it is, let’s now focus on kicking some a$% in the tourney. Can’t change the selections. It should not suprise you that Duke and Florida got a cake walk.

13. RidgeRunner
    6:32 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

And another thing…ok, I’m an SEC homer…but UAB gets in over Alabama? Damn NCAA…I could go on & on…

14. Ho-Dogg
    6:32 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I honestly don’t think they NCAA is intentionally out to screw UK. I think they are just lazy and stupid!!

15. Catfan
    6:32 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

UNC has 2 quality wins and gets a 2? We beat Florida twice in two and half weeks and they’re seeded better? FAIL

16. Boogie
    6:32 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

This is basketball — it ain’t a spelling bee!

17. dmc
    6:33 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Beisner Can I stay at your house during the tourney? I am a day sleeper though, No noise until noon please

18. Mr Schwump
    6:34 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

13, right. And UT even gets in? Another joke.

19. TampaCat
    6:39 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

BBN can stay at my place!

20. blitzedanddazed
    6:39 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Can someone please post the names of the people that make up the NCAA Basketball Tournament Selection Committee?
    The NCAA has become such of “sick” organization that I can see some schools leaving.

21. tom5673
    6:39 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

how did florida get a 2? they were never a two. uk beat them by 16 and they get rewarded to play in tampa as a 2 seed?
    unbelievable.

22. RidgeRunner
    6:40 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

18..I hear ya.

It’s just hard seeing crap like this from the NCAA. Anyway, Go Big Blue and I’m just venting my frustration too.

23. Bluecalizone
    6:40 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Dickie V is spanking the NCAA right now over the KY/Fl seeding. Also stating the obvious that the East is BY FAR the toughest region. F**king Duke, committee chair said that Duke was squarely in at the 1 before they beat UNC. Duke must have a knob job squad that works under the table,,,get it ,under the table? What a fu*king joke.

24. lumberjackcat
    6:40 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

EVERYBODY JOIN THE GROUP whyisufa2seed

25. lumberjackcat
    6:41 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

on espn

26. whatumacallit
    6:42 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

lol. what a joke!! i just got thru reading 135 post of how great we are and how we had the best coach in the country and everyone else better watch out!! suddenly we have 135 people crying that we got a tough draw. toughen up kitty cats. if we are so tough what are you so worried about?? no one can beat us, remember???

27. Mr Schwump
    6:43 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Let’s find out what schools are represented on the committee, schedule them, then kick the shit out of them.

28. RidgeRunner
    6:44 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

26…so your pleased with a 4 seed and UF getting a 2 seed, while playing IN FLORIDA?

Pardon the rest of us.

29. Mark Liptak
    6:44 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Random thoughts:

1. Florida a two seed? Really?? You’ve got to be kidding me.

2. Regarding Kentucky, I don’t like this draw at all. Over and above the fact that this is a young team with little depth, historically the mojo appears to be against the Cats.

Open with Princeton, a noted ‘giant killer’ in the dreaded 4 vs. 13 matchup. How many times has a 13 upset a 4? More than a few times you can be sure.

Then if they beat Princeton, oh look! A possible match with Bob Huggins…the same Bob Huggins who owns John Calipari.Of course it may not be WVU….it could be UAB. Long time UK fans remember 1981 and 2004.

Don’t like this at all.

I hope I’m wrong…first things first, take out Princeton and their slo-motion offense.

Mark Liptak

30. tdogg4033011
    6:45 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I dont agree with some of the seeding myself ….. hopefully we can get some pay back
    on WVU from last year & then take down the overall #1 seed.

31. gametime2
    6:47 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

What time is the game on thursday?

32. blitzedanddazed
    6:47 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I have been following college basketball for over 40 years and have never witnessed such a “screw” job as the NCAA Selection Committee preformed today. The Committee Chair’s appearance on the CBS Selection show made me feel
    like I was watching a comedy sitcom.

33. I can't see the comments
    6:48 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m just gonna say it one last time.

Florida is a 2 when Kentucky is a 4 in OSU’s bracket. WOW. UNBELIEVABLE.

34. JBR
    6:49 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Mark Emmert
    The National Collegiate Athletic Association
    700 W. Washington Street
    P.O. Box 6222
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

Phone: 317/917-6222
    Fax: 317/917-6888

Light him up…

35. RidgeRunner
    6:51 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

31, good point…

If anyone see’s the time of Thursday’s game and what tv network, please post…

36. tdogg4033011
    6:51 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

26) suck it !!! I bet in reality OSU doesn’t like UK as the 4 seed. I think this UK
    team can beat ANY TEAM in this tourney ….. one game at a time, lets see how it plays out.
    I’m glad UK gets a possible matchup with the Buckeyes, I’m sick of hearing about them.

GO CATS !!!!!

37. OSU
    6:52 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

See, we’re OSU, and we hate seeing SEC teams. See, we can’t beat an SEC team, even in Mario Party. We in Methlumbus are not happy right now.

38. TampaCat
    6:53 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I would love to knock OSU out of the tourney! Go Cats!

39. JimSteele
    6:53 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

The guys on ESPN got their panties in a bunch over Colorado & VA. Tech not making the tourny.

There are the 6 major conferences. Now imagine a team winning a major conference during the season and not making the field of 68. Alabama. But the west was weak, right?

Alabama was 4-2 against the eastern division where 5 teams are going to the tournament, beating Georgia, KY, Tenn. Then they beat GA in the SEC tournament before losing to KY by a comparable score to what Florida lost by – a number 2 seed. Beating GA twice and they watch them go to the tournament.

40. Mike Hartline
    6:56 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

screwed again

41. Blueburg
    6:57 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Those guys on the cover look a little gay to me.

42. Uk1986
    6:58 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I agree it is Ohio state who is not happy. Plus, no matter what , UK won’t lose 10 games this year. Even in a down year things are looking up.

43. bluetexan
    6:58 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

#27-Selection ‘Chair’ is AD at Ohio State.

44. John
    6:59 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Are you knew? The media is so extremely biased, predictable and pathetic.

45. AllTourneyJorts
    7:00 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Who won that ’96 tourney when Princeton upset UCLA? Oh yeah, UK did – Go Big Blue!

46. Rusty Shackleford
    7:00 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Still waiting for someone to explain the Florida 2 seed

47. NBA league pass
    7:01 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m so pissed right now I can’t even see straight. UF as a 2 is a total joke.

48. bluetexan
    7:02 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

#46- Ain’t gonna happen.

49. Cal's Hair
    7:02 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

31 is right. We got what we deserved based on the entire season. Now we just have to go out and play and prove to everyone that this is a different team than the one that screwed up on the road in January and February.

50. SMH
    7:03 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

damn what would we be if we lost the game a 7 seed

51. bcat
    7:06 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

The next person who acts like they’re on the team and they need to start focusing on the next game instead of complaining can kiss my ass. We’re all just fans and bitching is what we do!

52. mattyice57
    7:06 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

This season will end just like Matt Jones said it would. UK could go as far as the Final Four or even lose in the first round; it all depended upon the matchup that they got. We now see that they will lose in the Sweet 16 to Ohio State. It sucks but that is the way it is gonna happen. Their is only 2-3 teams in the country who I give UK no shot against and one of them is Ohio State. Too much size and experience for this young team to handle. I hate it but for another year the proud fanbase of BIG BLUE NATION will not be in the Final Four, which will extend the drought to 13 LONG years!

53. manu1433
    7:07 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

yea guys OSU is not happy…i am sure Sullinger is shaking at the thought of matching up against Vargas and Jorts…we have no shot in hell against OSU

54. whatumacallit
    7:09 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

46) let me try and explain…ky lost to every low level sec team they played on the road this year. florida didnt!! i’m sure that want satisfy you and you want to go on head to head meetings only but unfortunately the rest of the world dont! if it did, tenn would be the #1 seed over pitt!! hope that helped

55. barn
    7:10 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

-36-you are right on. osu is the one that is really moaning right now. they’re the overall #1 and get the toughest region, looking at a possible matchup with UK in the 3d game. our shooters are as good as theirs and they don’t have much of a bench. if we get to that 3d game i think we match up very well

56. Jonathan S.
    7:10 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Who cares if Florida is a #2 seed in Tampa…They wont have but a couple hundred fans show up anyway.

57. Bluecalizone
    7:12 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I was a little disppointed that the Committee couldn’t figure out a way to get Ucon in our bracket as well since they are the hottest team in the country right now.

58. BigBlueWestCoast
    7:12 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Gotleib on Florida as an over-seeded 2: “That team stinks.” Definitely over-seeded, but they don’t stink. That waters down KY’s success against them.

59. tdogg4033011
    7:12 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

53) yeah and your point?? ….. only time will tell

60. FanSince1969
    7:15 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

The entire 6PM to 7PM selection special was anything but “special.” Awkward commentary among the panelists… no substantial analysis… a very weak exchange between Nantz/Kellogg and the committee chair. Perhaps the CBS/NCAA relationship has reached a point that objectivity and accountability are going, going, and gone. The seedings and match-ups, especially in Rounds 2 and 3, reek of bias.

61. jkw1974
    7:16 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Our draw isn’t all that bad….We will beat Princeton, and WVU won’t get to the next round.

62. Really
    7:21 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Southwest region. 1. Kansas won Big 12. 2. ND won nothing. 3. Purdue won nothing. 4. Louisville won nothing. 5. Vandy won nothing 6.Georgetown won nothing. 7.Texas A&M won nothing. 8. Unlv won nothing. 9. Illinois won nothing 10.Florida st won nothing. 11. Usc/Vcu won nothing. 12. Richmond There you go won A10 tournament. WHAT A F’ING JOKE and Ohio st is the over all number one seed and should have the easiest bracket but yet the toughest. I’m I were an Ohio St fan I would be breaking my TV and picking up a Kentucky Fan on my way to the NCAA headquarters.

63. Typical UK fan
    7:22 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

is it just me or does kemba walker look like john wall’s long lost twin brother?

64. Card Fan
    7:23 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Heck, even I think you guys got hosed down. florida as a two is a joke. Good luck to you guys.

65. I can't see the comments
    7:25 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

61- Our draw wouldn’t be all that bad… if Sweet 16 was all you’re aiming for.

It is a complete NONSENSE that we have to play the best team in America, Ohio State, when we are by far the best 4 seed.

In the end, you have to beat everybody but look at Duke last year, the draw and luck are HUGE parts of a title run. This is just not a good start at all. Ohio State is a fantastic team…

66. BigBlueWestCoast
    7:30 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

63 – I’ll give you that one. I can see that.

67. blitzedanddazed
    7:34 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I bet when the ESPN crew talks to Committee Chair they suddenly lose their courage.

68. CatAlum95
    7:34 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

64) Thanks, thought uofl deserved a 3 seed.

69. blitzedanddazed
    7:36 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I bet John Pelphry is glad to get the hell out the pit that is Arkansas.
    Plus getting away from a school that employees Bobby “Knob Boy” Petrino has got to be a relieve.

70. the jug
    7:41 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I think we could match up good with ohio st. Sullinger isn’t as big as the tv makes him out to be. Just really good knowledge of the game, his dad was his head coach in high school. I think if we played like we did against Al. we good possibly pull a Win out..

71. blitzedanddazed
    7:43 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

What a hose job by ESPN panel. They had a chance to address the Committee Chair and said nothing.
    Bilas—-Shut the F_ ck up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. WildcatinNYC
    7:44 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I despise Billy Packer with every ounce of my being but at least he had the nutz to ask the NCAA chair about selection choices. I was really disappointed with Kellogg when he didn’t go after the Chair for that Florida #2 seed.

73. BigBlueWestCoast
    7:48 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

We have ONE loss over 10 points. It was against the Big East champ on a (faraway) neutral floor. Take that one out, the other 7 losses were on the road by an average of 2.8 points. Three of those to teams that made the tourney [2 (UNC), 2 (FLA), and 10 (UGA) seeds] and one team that should have made the tourney (Alabama).

I haven’t been sold on this KY team as a contender, but taking those facts into consideration … are we better than I think we are?

74. blitzedanddazed
    7:49 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Kellogg has to the most overrated analyst ever. #72 Do you realize where Kellogg went to college and where the
    NCAA Chair is AD?

75. the jug
    7:50 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Kellogg was all brown nose’n the the Ohio St. AD in their interview.. Was a joke.. ESPN guys choked big time had there chance and no balls..

76. WildcatinNYC
    7:51 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

74. Yeah, I saw that they were both OSU alums, but I guess I was idealistic in hoping for some journalistic integrity. He totally gave the Chair a free pass.

77. blitzedanddazed
    7:52 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

#75 —Read #74 post

78. GummyBear
    7:58 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m more upset over Syracuse getting a 3 seed. Really? UK or UofL should have gotten it over them. Louisville finished higher in the Big East and went further in the BE Tourney and UK won their tourney handily, has a better RPI, better SOS and better wins down the stretch. The commitee was extremely biased towards the Big East (except for Louisville).

79. blitzedanddazed
    7:58 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

The Commissioner for the Big 12 was on the Selection Committee and Colorado does not make the Tournament.
    But remember Colorado is going to the Pac 12 next year. What a surprise that Colorado gets shafted?

80. blitzedanddazed
    8:01 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Dickie V picks Louisville to get to the Final 4. But does anyone care that Ricky Three Stacks puts a lot of money in Dickie V’s pocket(Horses) and young whores in his lap. What a surprise?
    Dick Vitale is a joke.

81. gcat4496
    8:03 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Maybe Ohio State should worry that they have to face a team like UK in the Sweet 16. The chair of the selection committe is Smith the AD at OSU. I am sure Matta would rather had an easier draw than UK & UNC in this bracket.

82. blitzedanddazed
    8:05 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Bilas will get on the U of Tards bandwagon as the week progresses. Tommy Turtleneck will whisper sweet nothing in his ear by tomorrow night’s Sports Center.

83. Kybill
    8:06 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Florida’s region looks like the [email protected] NIT!! NCAA stroking duke again!

84. Rusty Shackleford
    8:16 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

54 – guess I should have been more specific. Still waiting for someone who is not a dumbass to explain how Florida got a 2 seed. Did not say anything about the cats or where they were seeded, and I’m not the only one since everyone on CBS, and ESPN have said that Florida being a 2 is a joke and the biggest over seed in the tourny. The only thing you have cleared up for me is that you can’t read and that you are an ignorant [email protected]$k. Hope that helps you.

85. blitzedanddazed
    9:25 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

#84 —Simmer Down Man!

86. Rusty Shackleford
    9:27 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

85 – Sorry, I just hate smart asses

87. Captain Obvious
    9:46 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

All these posts and not one comment on the irony of pairing UK and WVU to meet in the second game….More than just chance happening here. Smells like bullshit

88. Veritas
    10:13 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Beisner, Harvard celebrated their “only clinching a share” of the Ivy title because it was the first time EVER that they had won even a share of the Ivy title. And they’ve been around a long time. The celebration was a long time coming and a huge deal to students, players and alumni. But kudos to Sydney Johnson for the motivational tactic.

89. ike demick
    11:44 pm March 13, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Gavan O’Herlihay aka Chuck Cunningham the eldest son on Happy Days season one. Also, he had a wicked do in Deathwish III.

90. Wren
    1:13 am March 14, 2011 Permalink

How about they are the team that has come closest to beating a #1 as a #16, against Patrick Ewing and the Georgetown Hoyas none the less in 1989, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9knx8cWLs4

91. Whatumacallit
    7:25 am March 14, 2011 Permalink

84,86) lets dress up as a donkey this halloween. i’ll be the head and you be…yourself!! bah ha ha