Sundy Best’s Tuesday News and Views

sundy-best

A country music duo is starting to make some noise on the national scene and they’re not so different than you and me — other than the whole, ya know, good at singing and playing instruments thing.

Nick Jamerson and Kris Bentley, two die hard Kentucky fans born and raised in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky, make up Sundy Best, tonight’s News and Views honoree. The two-man band from Prestonsburg made their CMT debut earlier this month on the music channel’s “Wide Open Country” with their single “Home.” It only took the song a week to reach the No. 1 spot in the countdown, which is pretty amazing considering it wasn’t that long ago when Nick was catching passes at Pikeville and Kris was gettin’ buckets for Centre.

Hell, you can even find their mugs on CMT’s Artists page among the likes of Willie Nelson, George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Eric Church and every other big name that’s ever held a geet-tar. I don’t follow a lot of country music, but I know that’s a pretty damn big deal for two up-and-comers from Kentucky who rarely play outside of Lexington — unless there’s a barbecue back home, of course.

So join me in singing along to a little Sundy Best this evening as they begin their climb to stardom. And, boys, if you’re reading this, I played a mean trombone in 6th grade. Just keep that in the back of your minds and don’t hesitate to give me a call when you’re ready to add the sweet sounds of some low brass to the party. Chicks dig the spit valve.

*****

Another day in the books, another sleepless night of Andrew Wiggins anticipation and worry awaits. Monday came and went without any news/rumors/gossip from the Wiggins camp and not a peep from those who pretend to know someone who pretends to know someone in or around the Wiggins camp. Will Tuesday be different? We’ll know soon, I guess, but fans from the four fan bases are growing more than antsy as the recruitment reaches new heights of anticipation and frustration. It’s pretty hard to believe Wiggins doesn’t know where he wants to go at this point and everyone involved, whether it be coaches, fans or whomever, just want it all to be over with. I understand it’s an incredibly tough decision and he doesn’t want to tell anyone no, but it’s time for the young man to make up his mind and put the ink to the Letter of Intent. He can’t keep dragging so many people along forever, unless, of course, he eventually picks Kentucky — we’ll wait another month if that’s what it takes to get him in Lexington. But with the unknown college destination weighing down on so many, it’s becoming quite exhausting. With that said, come to Kentucky, Andrew. Please?

If Wiggins ends up going elsewhere — I don’t even like typing that — Kentucky will still have an unbelievable load of talent on its roster in 2013-14. That’s why the Cats find themselves at No. 1 in two Top 25 preseason rankings released Monday from ESPN’s Jason King and Andy Katz. King and Katz agree that Kentucky will be the team to beat in college basketball next season, and the ESPN experts’ 2nd and 3rd ranked teams will get that opportunity in non-conference play. Louisville and Michigan State are No. 2 and 3 in both rankings thanks to the returns of the Cardinal’s Russ Smith and State’s Gary Harris and Adreian Payne. Kentucky will likely be favored in those games, but adding Andrew Wiggins will make the Pursuit of 40 a lot more realistic.

Once Wiggins does make his move, we will finally close the book on 2013 recruiting and move ahead to the summer of AAU basketball. The EYBL circuit is already underway which means you can count on reading a lot more about guys like Emmanuel Mudiay, Tyus Jones, Cliff Alexander, Trey Lyles, and Stanley Johnson here on KSR over the next few months. This is when players make their moves up the rankings and we get a better understanding of who really wants who and who really wants to go where. There are a lot of names to follow this summer and we’ll be all over them as things are quiet on the UK basketball and football fronts in Lexington.

Speaking of the offseason, Calipari wants you to know he has a 100-percent graduation rate at UK with players who are eligible to graduate and UK has had a cumulative 3.0 GPA over the last three seasons. Cal took to his official website to remind everyone that Kentucky basketball is more than a stepping stone to the NBA; it also puts players in position to be successful away from the game after college. Bob Knight was unavailable for comment.

I said it a week ago and I’ll say it again: UK should schedule Robert Morris and I think they will. Don’t be surprised to see Boise State on the non-confernece slate next season, too. The Broncos really want a game in Rupp Arena and they’re not asking for a home game in return. Plus, Boise’s athletic director is Kentucky’s former deputy director of athletics so it’d be a good favor to him. And Boise is going to be good. It’s a no-brainer.

Switching over to football, there aren’t enough words in the English dictionary to appropriately compliment and commend Mark Stoops and his staff for the job they’re doing on the recruiting trail. Kentucky is currently a Top 25 2014 class and picking up steam after two very strong commitments came in over the weekend. With Drew Barker nearing a decision date and Kentucky believed to be his leader, UK could potentially lock up its offensive superstar of the future and the Wildcat recruiting train will be accelerating at record speed entering the summer. Stoops and Co. have already done an amazing job in these early stages of 2014 recruiting and we can only hope they hang on to the guys they have and the guys they’ll get. Football commitments aren’t 100% solid until National Signing Day.

12-year NBA veteran Jason Collins turned heads on Monday when he proved he’s a better writer than most of the people who write sports stories for a living. Collins, a teammate of John Wall in Washington, also debunked the twin telepathy myth and proudly came out of the closet. It’s a great read.

Also from our nation’s capital, Archie Goodwin is in Washington D.C. to “put this work in,” he said in a tweet on Monday. I assume that means he has a workout with the Wizards, a team believed to be interested in his services.

It was also announced Monday that Goodwin hired Charles Briscoe of BSM Sports to represent him in the NBA. You know what that means??? It’s time to play a game of “How Many Of Charles Briscoe’s Others Clients Have You Heard Of?!”

The rules are simple: If you score a 1 or higher, you win!

Go!

Junior Cadougan, Courtney Fortson, Chris Hines, Nick Murphy, Jamine Peterson, Patrick Richard, Jay-R Strowbridge, Michael Washington, Stefan Welsh

Your score: _____

DeAndre Liggins got some clock for the Thunder in the first half against the Rockets. The game is currently at halftime and Liggins has four rebounds, three points and a steal in 11 minutes of action. Terrence Jones has yet to enter the game but there’s still a lot of basketball left over on TNT.

The Kentucky Sports Radio radio show will be coming to you live from Home Run Burgers in St. Matthews in Louisville on Tuesday morning. Stop by and say “Go Big Blue” for free food during the broadcast.

That’ll do it for now.

Can I get a Go Cats?

Article written by Drew Franklin

59 Comments for Sundy Best’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Highly Questionable
    11:41 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

We shouldn’t schedule Robert Morris. It would do nothing to help us, and make us look like the bullies than many in the NCAA already accuse us of being. We’re Kentucky. We’re the greatest tradition in the history of college basketball. Let’s act it, and go win number 9.

2. Drew Franklin
    11:44 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

1. — So you’d rather play Eastern Michigan or LIU Brooklyn? The schedule always has some scrubs.

3. Highly Questionable
    11:46 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

That’s a tough situation. You’re right, but I think it wouldn’t benefit the Cats as much as everyone thinks, though the Revenge tour wouldn’t be complete without them. Oh, and GO CATS! (forgot it on the first one)

4. old man
    11:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I’ve heard of Cadougan, Courtney Fortson, and if Michael Washington is from Arkansas, that is 3. If it’s not him, then I got 2!

5. Highly Questionable
    11:49 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

You know what? Drew, you’ve convinced me, schedule them so I never have to hear the name “Robert Morris” chanted by a Louisville fan and have it hold validity.

6. Drew Franklin
    11:50 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

4. — Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

7. kentucky bluebird
    11:55 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew if you like country singers from eastern kentucky then listen to some keith whitley. the best pure country voice of all time. the pride of sandy hook, ky.

8. old man
    11:58 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

It seems to me that if Goodwin is borderline 1st and 2nd round in this draft, that he would at least get an agent that is successful. This agent is probably Saul Goodman’s crazy uncle and is a jack-of-all trades. If it were the biggest moment of my life, I’d sure as heck get someone known in the industry.

9. Mack
    11:59 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

The Solo cups.

10. old man
    12:00 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

1) how good would that look scheduling Bob Morris? UK didn’t schedule IU after losing to them (everyone will blame the side they want), and then trying to schedule ole Bob to prove you’re the biggest badass wouldn’t look good for UK. The nation wants to believe that UK ran from IU so it would just look horrible.

11. Owen
    12:01 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know why I know Junior Cadougan played at Marquette forever but I do and Courtney Fortson and Stefan Welsh played at Arkansas under Pelfrey so I remember them from that. So I got 3. Jay-R is probably the dumbest name I’ve ever seen so I wish I knew it but I didn’t.

12. GoCats2
    12:41 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Liggins made the front page of ESPN.com!

13. Robert and Steve Earl
    1:04 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

“Nashvile” country is not what country music used to be. If you wanna hear good, jamin country listen to Texas/Red Dirt country. Those boys keep it real, Tecss country even keeps its own charts and everything. Just sayin..

14. ACD
    1:09 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

13 – I love Texas Country and have been seeing Sundy Best play around town for several years. They are as close to Red Dirt country attitude as you’ll find in this area. Not much fluff to them (yet). If recommend checking them out beyond just “Home”

15. PaulBear
    1:25 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #7 Keith Whitley was by far best country singer ever from ky. Probably best country singer ever.

16. yeah
    1:28 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

its a shame what country music has become today. listen to classic country kids.

17. rj
    6:13 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

first of all didn’t we pay back indiana in the tourney? also I’m tired of wiggins, what big decision are you talking about, its a 1 year pitstop before the NBA, he’s going to be the top pick regardless. all he’s doing is make me not want him more and more each day. we’re going to have the team of the year wsithout him, so he can go where ever he wants and watch the cats make history.

18. LionGeneral
    6:22 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

How can you allow the future decision of a teenager to cause you such angst? How can you possibly care so much about where any kid decides to play college basketball for a couple semesters? If he comes to Kentucky, welcome aboard. If he decides to enroll elsewhere, good luck. Just give us all a rest until the decision is reported in the “adult” media.

19. Buckets
    7:33 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

“Hell, you can even find their mugs on CMT’s Artists page among the likes of Willie Nelson, George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Eric Church and every other big name..”

I know who Willie Nelson is.

20. Emmett Brown
    7:46 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to the duo, hoping they continue their success and enjoy the ride. A lot of people would switch places with them in a heartbeat to pursue their dream. On a side note, Nick is actually the grandson of the late Wilbur “Shorty” Jamerson who played for Bear Bryant and helped lead UK past Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl to a national title.

21. Stevie
    7:46 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

What the heck? We find out that a man with a hot dog prefers other hot dogs over buns.

22. barn
    7:47 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

17–thank you. even so, i hope we get him

23. sundy worst
    7:52 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I’d respect sundy best a lot more if the drummer played actual drums or another instrument that requires talent. Not much to sitting beside the singer/songwriter and slapping your hands on a box. Hell, every living room has “that guy” slapping on the kitchen table or couch who thinks he’s contributing. I can’t see them getting much bigger if that’s going to be the makeup of the band. But kudos for making it on cmt.

24. Not the best "Sunday" band around
    8:04 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

We get it you want to go hoooooooooome. Not very good lyrical mastery or even great musical talent but at least they are doing something with what they love…However if you want a real talent but lesser know band from Kentucky check out Sunday Valley.

25. Demo1975
    8:10 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Agreed, either bring it on or shut up about it. Pick Kentucky or FSU and let’s get on with life.

26. King Kelly Coleman
    8:14 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

@23…He’s not a drummer….and he’s not playing a drum. It’s called a beat box. and I assure you it’s alot more than just “slapping your hands on a box”…I suggest you go to Redmon’s on Sat night and see for yourself. They have a niche and they are different, and very talented. They’ll be just fine.

27. American
    8:17 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Its a sad day in America when a man like Tim Tebow is made fun of & persecuted for his religious beliefs & has had nothing but a mockery made of him and his religion. A man, Jason Collins comes out of the closet & we treat him like he did the most courageous thing in the world. People have lost sight of how we got here. A man is gay, so what! I have no problem with collins, but im not going to celebrate bc he is gay. Americans need to get their heads screwed on properly. One nation under God!

28. peyton
    8:19 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Everyone knows Coach Cal is very calculated in everything he says and does: eg. the graduation rate story. But what I found most intriguing yesterday was his tweet about UMass’ ’92 non-conference schedule and how many good teams they played. Given, the A10 back in the day wasn’t as tough so they had to play a tough non-conference. But with that said, Cal doesn’t just tweet anything for shits and giggles… Could this be a sign he’s loading up our non-conference schedule this year with a few more gold nuggets and not so many cupcakes?

29. Eric K
    8:25 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

#27 amen! What a joke! Oh yea…. WIGGINS WILL BE A WILDCAT!! GO CATS!!

30. InquiringMinds
    8:29 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Who is Wiggins?

31. John
    8:29 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Sundy Best connection to UK Football history. Nick Jamerson’s grandfather was named Shorty.

32. Saturdays Better
    8:39 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

27>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Couldnt agree more

33. Mike
    8:43 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Drew…please stop the mindless Wiggins attempts at updates when there is nothing to update.

34. leftygilmore
    8:43 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

This Andrew Wiggins kid is beginning to piss everyone off. Let him go elsewhere. All other kids have signed/committed by now, what is useful about making colleges wait it out? Sounds like another Muhammed kid that went to ULCA.

Cao and dont come to UK

35. TC
    8:52 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the heads up on Sundy Best…I will be sure to listen for them here in Music City–enjoyed the video, too…made me homesick for my home in western KY…always get a bit teary-eyed on Derby week anyway so that started me down that path. Wishin them success! I’m in for scheduling both BMorris and Boise–at least I have now heard of Robert Morris before when some other years we have played teams that were unknown to me. Totally agree with 27 (29 and 32 as well)!

36. Musehobo
    8:54 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Everybody’s an effin grump today. Wah wah wah.

37. barn
    8:54 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

why are my comments being deleted?

38. CA
    9:03 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

27 – I totally agree with you. Tim Tebow is a great role model for kids – Collins is not! Where have the morals of this country gone?

39. JR
    9:27 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

i scored a two, with fortsen and murphy and thats because they played in the SEC not the NBA

40. Jared
    9:32 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

38. Tim Tebow and Jason Collins are both great role models for kids. Where have the morals of this country gone? This country is supposed to be a place where you don’t have to hide who you are. You obviously have no clue the courage it would take to make an announcement like that while you’re still playing on an NBA team. Kids: Be yourself, nothing more, nothing less. Also, Sundy Best rocks, so if you’re gonna get on here and hate on them, it’s obvious to me you’ve never seen them play a show. Do your thing boys!

41. Seriously?
    9:33 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

“American” and “CA”… Are you guys actually serious? Because it sounds like you’re talking out your a$$. Tim Tebow is made fun of by SOME people, but revered and put on a pedestal by MANY others. Same thing with Collins. SOME people are calling him courageous, while SOME are slamming him like crazy. You should learn not to make idiotic blanket statements and actually embrace TRUTH. You’ll thank me someday.

42. BPM
    9:39 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Good post Jared. There is some hope left that not all Kentuckians are raving idiots.

43. American
    9:48 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

40 & 41. Why dont you actually read what I said. I never said he was not a role model, someone else did. I said I have no problem with Collins. Just think the overkill by the media is wrong. My eyes are open, for you sir, I cant say the same. I know who I am and I know how the USA got here. You sir do not. But your ways work, thats why we are in such good shape today. Sissies liberals!

44. Jared
    10:08 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

43. Wow. If your eyes are open, as you say, you could clearly see the first two characters of my post…”38″. This would indicate that I was responding to post #38 in this comments section. So why don’t YOU actually read what I said. But now that you poked the tiger, I’ll be happy to engage you. I try not to label myself as a liberal or a conservative. My reasoning for this is simple. There are some things where I lean a little left, and some where I lean a little right. Anyone who makes up their mind about something based on their political preference without actually considering the issue is a fool. Also, if you can’t plainly see that Jason Collins becoming the first openly gay player in major American team sports is a very big deal, you are also a fool. Good day sir.

45. M
    10:17 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

#43) I’m with 44. I lean to the left on some issues, and the right on other’s. I try to think for myself. I also fought for my country. Guess that makes me a “sissy”.

46. CA
    10:19 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

41 – I don’t think I will thank you for anything. I just can’t condone their way of life – it is against my morals and beliefs.

47. sad
    10:32 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Obama called Trayvon’s family, Sandra Fluke,and the gay NBA player but failed to call Benghazi victim family’s. This is why all this is bothersome. And if you fought for our country & dont find this wrong, you are just plain dumb. Bc according to our media and president it more important to come out than to fight for our country. Focus on what actually pertains to us. A mans sexuality does not.

48. CA
    10:37 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

47 – That is because Obama is pro-abortion, pro-gay and lesbian. He goes to speak before Planned Parenthood but doesn’t have the decency to comment on the murder trial of the abortion doctor Goesnell. He and his administration are trying to keep information on Fast & Furious and the Benghazi from the American people. He is a disgrace as a President.

49. CA
    10:39 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

“President Obama quipped at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Saturday night that he’s “not the strapping young Muslim socialist” he once was as gray has salted his hair.

That should tell you all you need to know about this President.

50. moderators
    10:58 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

only post the ignorant right wingers comments, huh? keep america dumb. yeah, good call.

51. CA
    11:00 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I will continue to use a 2000 year old book to justify my hatred and ignorance. come visit me in my cave!

52. CA
    11:10 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

51 – I don’t appreciate others using my “CA” to post such comments. However, I do believe in the Bible because it is God’s word. Maybe you out to read it – it is truly amazing

53. Coach John
    11:19 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

America has made the Bible just as irrelevant and it has the Constitution. The problem in America is we’ve ignored both and started to make our own rules.

54. Coach John
    11:20 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

“as” instead of “and”

55. CA
    11:25 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

54 – Amen to that!

56. goldentide
    11:34 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, why do you feel the need to pollute this website with an article about another queer “coming out” like it’s something glorified?

57. Ron_J
    11:39 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

#24 just a little FYI, Sunday Valley disbanded and Sturgill Simpson, SV’s lead singer, is gigging around opening for the likes of Junior Brown and Dwight Yoakam. I suggest doing some research before you try to name drop.

58. Might want to reconsider
    1:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#40: What if he’d said he was a member of NAMBLA? ‘You still on the wagon about this country not persecuting you for who you are? Before you answer, be advised there are international cultures where that sort of thing is commonplace. What if one of their cultural members moved here? Still get the same freedom?

59. catlanta31
    2:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

19. If you don’t know any other name besides Willie, then you should just go live in a cave.

As to Jason Collins, big whoop. UK hoops has 3 openly gay players. Who cares?