Sunday Morning Links

Britain_Wimbledon_Tennis-0d534-8059

It will be a special morning for tennis and for the British Isles if the Scotsman, Andy Murray can end the 77-year British drought at Wimbledon. Although this has been a wild tournament of upsets, the title match is a No. 1 versus No. 2 slugfest between the Serbian Novak Djokovic, who has won once at Wimbledon, and Andy Murray, who brought home Olympic gold here in London last summer. Outside of the 1966 World Cup this could be the biggest sporting event in British history, so good luck Andy.

– Twitter erupted last night after the seven year reigning UFC middleweight champ, Anderson Silva was knocked out by Chris Weidman in the second round. The knockout blow was dealt as Silva was taunting Weidman to hit him. How embarrassing.

– Five star small forward Stanley Johnson says it‘s a big deal that he’s the only small forward that Kentucky has offered–that it must mean we really want him. He also reconfirmed that he will be attending Big Blue Madness. He’s one of this class’s top priority guys and Cal is making him feel like it.

– Mark Story looked at the four programs Stoops consistently has to beat to succeedLouisville, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.

– A reporter told the newest Wimbledon champion, Marion Bartoli, that she “wasn’t a looker” yesterday. See how she responded.

– Our good friend Jerry Tipton interviewed one fan who feels the proposed Rupp Arena renovations would be at too high a cost to the family nature of Rupp. It’s certainly quite a read.

Article written by Brennan English

Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. @BrennanKSR

11 Comments for Sunday Morning Links

1. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

Well, I guess I’m the only one who didn’t stay up and party late! First!

2. RealCatsFan
    10:34 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

Regarding Anderson Silva, there is always something satisfying in seeing arrogance justly rewarded. It will be interesting to see if Silva keeps on with his antics in the next fight, or if he has finally learned his lesson and tones it down a bit.

3. Sexington
    10:49 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

Who is Brennan English and why is she so sad?

4. Tom Blevins
    10:52 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

I feel for Jeanette Hislope, but I don’t think I can agree with her. I see the addition of luxury boxes at Rupp Arena as having a positive effect on out crowd. Those who would occupy the luxury boxes are those who now tend to sit on their hands in the front rows. To be fair, they are often older fans who just don’t have the same energy that an average student has. But wouldn’t it be great for them to be out of sight in a luxury box, where they can quietly enjoy the game, while their former seats are now used by students who would pump up the volume and provide energy for our Wildcats to feed off of.

5. Ridge Runner
    10:56 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

Of course Tipton is going to seek out an interview with someone who would offer the slightest negative to the renovation. So this is no surprise.

6. confucius
    10:57 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

Re: Tipton article. I couldn’t agree more. Just the other day I told my wife how much I was enjoying our children at their current age; so I have decided to figure out how to stunt their growth. My 1972 Nova I got when I was 16 has special sentimental value so I have done nothing to it; the tires are dry rotted; it has 227k miles on it; its too dangerous to drive but that doesn’t matter because the motor seized 15 years ago. Change is bad.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

#4, I couldn’t agree more. I have said many times that I think having a standing room only area all the way around the court, about 30 inches below floor level where the students could stand and cheer on the team would give Rupp a lot more noise and intimidation factor, and it would look great on national TV to see rowdy students in the background of plays.

8. Han
    11:19 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

7) The arenas with the floor raised up do not strike me as a good thing. It’s bad enough that cameramen and the cheerleaders are at the ends, but to have a dropoff that players may end up having to jump down from when at a full sprint – I prefer player safety over increasing crowd presence.

I would like a greater presence of loud fans around the court, and if luxury boxes help make that happen, good.

9. explorer
    11:27 am July 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m not against the renovation. However, there will be some negatives that come with the changes. For one you can count on prices for everything increasing – tickets, food, etc… Secondly, the majority of the luxury boxes will be owned by corporations not individuals. The lower sections will only be attainable by wealthy individuals, the luxury boxes by corporations, the nose bleed section will be left for the regular guy.

Look at the Yum Center for a good case history. I’m from Louisville and know many long standing season tickets holders to Freedom Hall. None of them are happy with their personal situation at the new Yum center.

10. Rafael Nadal
    1:58 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

DJ OK let him win. Murray played fantastic; got every drop shot and turned it on DJ OK.

Murray showed a lot of grit and he definitely earned it.

Hey did everyone see Ron Wood in the stands.

Cool.

11. sudarshan estcon
    4:32 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

I feel this really is extremely sizeable data for me personally. And i’m pleased examining ones post. Even so choose to commentary with quite a few regular factors, The internet site fashion is a plus, the particular content articles is very nice : Debbie. Perfect approach, best wishes