Sunday Morning Links

Another Sunday morning, another Kentucky football hangover to get over. Good news? The basketball team’s 2nd and final exhibition game is tomorrow night, and tip-off at the Barclays Center against Maryland is a mere 5 days away. Have some links to get you ready for another day of raking leaves and tracking your Fantasy Football team:

After a 40-0 drubbing at the hands of Vanderbilt, It’s time Kentucky Football and Joker Phillips part ways

Even though Kentucky’s announced crowd figure of 40,992 includes the 38,554 season tickets sold before the season, the actual crowd was reportedly around 19,000.

Howard Schnellenberger believes the problem with Kentucky football is deeper than coaching, that it’s a department wide athletic culture that sets UK football up to fail, which begs the question; Is Mitch Barnhart the right AD to change the culture of Kentucky football?

FoxSports.com’s Preseason Power Ranking’s place Kentucky 3rd behind Louisville (1st) and Indiana (2nd)

Eric Bledsoe is making a name for himself off the bench for the Clippers, and even the man he is backing up, All-Star PG Chris Paul, is starting to take notice

Despite only scoring 2 points on 1-7 shooting, Bobcats’ Head Coach Mike Dunlap was “clearly pleased” with the debut of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as the Bobcats snapped a 23-game losing streak against Indiana in their season opener

The Washington Post says you should definitely start Randall Cobb on your fantasy team this week. In other news, if you aren’t already starting Randall Cobb on your fantasy team, you better have a damn good reason.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

27 Comments for Sunday Morning Links

1. ltylerj
    10:02 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Best video game character ever.

2. Howard Schnellenberger
    10:14 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Hire Petrino you fools.

3. Stubbed Toe
    10:18 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

It’s high time Mitch’s seat starts to warm up. Mitch blames us as fans for the team stinking? Read any leadership book or look at a successful company and see if the leader is anything like Mitch…….nope….Barney is not capable of leading a “real” football program. So as long as he is AD we can expect more of the same and any good coaching candidate knows this and will stay away.

4. Hire Atticus Finch
    10:26 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

My names Atticus Finch and I’m coming to save Joker and Mitch

5. Kevin C.
    10:35 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

To borrow from Batman: TDK… Barnhart should fire Joker, because he’s the coach UK deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

6. John in Ohio
    10:38 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Hate to be the grammar police, but “begs the question” has nothing to do with raising a question. That one really irritates me. Begging the question refers to circular arguments; it is when you assume the conclusion in a premise.

FWIW, I’m behind Mitch. Almost every program is better off because of him – football is the exception. Give him the opportunity to make this next hire before coming down too hard!

7. SonsOfAnarchy
    10:41 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Mitch tried to bail on us and head to Kansas if that tell you anything about him. He is a Tennessee grad (correct me if Im wrong). The only thing he cares about is making himself look good. He doesnt truely have his heart in UK Athletics. Sure he got us Cal. But any AD in charge at UK could have lured Cal here if its his dream job. Time to find an AD who has his heart and roots in UK just like BBN

8. Nick F
    10:48 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

The fact that somebody dropped Cobb in my fantasy league blew my mind…needless to say, I’ve been pleased with the free agent pick up ever since

9. Booster
    11:02 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Mitch didn’t we bring Cal — We did. Mitch had no choice or decision making with the hiring of Cal.
    Write that down…

10. Head Bussa
    11:04 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

I drafted Cobb in both of my leagues. I also drafted him last season in both leagues. I didn’t know when he’d really get a good shot at playing, but I knew he would succeed when he did. I personally have never seen a better “football player” than Randall. The man plays 110 percent (100 percent of the time), is tremendously skilled, and loves what he does. When you have those three qualities you will be great.

11. Floyd
    11:05 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Does the fact that Cal & the big boosters pushed Barney out of the way of the basketball program tell you anything. Barney is a total imbecile, who has now called the fanbase racist.

12. Head Bussa
    11:06 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Also, I suggest everybody chant “Ditch Mitch” at the next basketball game. Let him know we didn’t appreciate his comments.

13. JT
    11:08 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

The man responsible for getting Calipari to Kentucky was MIKE PRATT.

14. JT
    11:09 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

…. and btw, Pratt should be named the new AD at Kentucky.

15. Travis
    11:11 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

I drafted Cobb in both ESPN leagues and he is killin it for me this year! PPR league and points for return yards and TDs. Go Pack Go!!!

16. Joe
    11:29 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Time to contact the UK Board of Trustees and get Mitch fired. They should have never approved that under the table raise and contract extension that Lee Todd gave him. Fire Mitch and Joker and bring in a UK alum to head the athletics. Why not Kyle Macy?

17. theSkinny81
    11:38 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

7 – sounds like Richie Farmer’s the guy we need…..

18. Computer Blue
    12:05 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Mitch needs to go. Too bad his buddy Lee Todd gave him a big contract extension on his way out. Then Mitch kept on his good buddy Joker. See a pattern?

19. markp
    12:06 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Mike Pratt sounds interesting as a possible AD. But maybe we need to get a football guy as AD because hoops will take care of itself at UK and that hasn’t been the case for football. Time to prioritize the number one money maker in sports at UK.

20. FarmersKids
    12:11 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#17 Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease give our dead beat Daddy a JOB!! We’re starving dond here in Clay County!!

21. Fed up
    1:10 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Come on people it’s nothing more than a stubbed toe….gosh where are the real fans? You bunch of microwaves……

22. Dan the man
    1:13 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Why don’t we fire Mitch and restructure Joker’s buyout and let him be the AD? He at least loves the football program. It’s to bad he isn’t a capable coach but Mitch isn’t a capable AD and he’s getting to stay.

23. classof68
    1:19 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Bozich’s poll so far: 91% of voters have no confidence that Barnfart is capable of a good football hire.

24. BlueTexan
    1:45 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Barnfart should have been fired after the BCG fiaso…but, Clueless Todd had no clue as to Barnfart’s incompetence (due to his own).
    If Eli has any cojones, he’d fire Barnfart, hire a professional athletic administrator, allow him the latitude to recruit and fund a solid HC who’ll build a program. Barnfart has proven he is not a judge of talent or potential and we’ve suffered.

25. J A Brooks
    3:29 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

How has their not been a major uproar over Mitch’s comments? I personally feel like those were some of the most irresponsible comments ever made by an AD.

Mitch refuses to acknowledge the failure of the Joker Phillips era so the fans stop showing up to voice their displeasure and then Mitch responds by blaming the woes on the fans? I’m as die hard a UK fan as anybody but were in a recession. We don’t all make 1.7 million dollars a year to be bad at our jobs like Joker does. So I apologize if I don’t want to spend my hard earned money on coming to the games to watch the most disgusting sports product in the history of UK football… but that makes me a bad fan?

I still watch every single game. I still wear my UK gear despite our woes. But because I don’t pony up cash to Mitch, Eli, and Joker I’m a bad fan and its my fault that the football program has been ignored to the point where we’re the laughing stock of the entire sport?

Yes Mitch… its all our fault. We’re not real fans. We just have a personal agenda against Joker Phillips. Every UK fan, including black ones, are racists if they don’t support Joker Phillips. It has nothing to do with Joker being 12-22 and 4-19… its because we all have personal agendas.

Seriously what needs to be done to make sure he’s held responsible for these comments and for the complete disregard he has for the football program? He’s clearly putting his friendship with Joker above the school, program, players, and fans.

26. Women Everywhere