Sunday Morning Links

Good Sunday morning to you, KSR readers. I hope your Saturday night was splendid, whether it was spent as a night on the town or cuddled up in your jammies on the couch. Don’t worry, I won’t judge you. It was a huge day for college basketball on Saturday as the Cats won, the SEC rolled, Duke lost, and Kentucky is the new top dog in college basketball.

So get the old percolator out, brew up some joe and get those sausage links on the griddle, as we hit these HTML links together.

— If you have a Facebook, get over to the I Love College Hoops page. Why? Because there’s a poll. And if there’s one thing the Big Blue Nation doesn’t do, it’s lose polls. This one is voting for the best student section. ‘Like’ the page, then direct your cursor to the left-hand column and click on “Student Section Vote;” you know the drill. Vote once per day. Kentucky is currently fifth — that’s unacceptable.

— John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader is calling out the Rupp Arena fans. Yeah, you. Get your cheers in gear!

— On the Future Cat front: Alex Poythress scored 32 points in a loss and Willie Cauley dropped ten in a win for their high school teams. (links via NextCats)

— Aaron Smith of the Kentucky Kernel says clutch free throw shooting secured a win for Kentucky yesterday.

— With six players scoring in double figures, the Cats found another way to win without Davis.

— Doug Gottlieb is a total tool. If you needed another reason to hate him there’s this, where he says he would rank Ohio State the number one team in the nation (Watch at the 3:06 mark).

Duke lost at home. Haha.

— Syracuse also lost, which means Murray State is the last unbeaten in all the land. But Grantland asks who the hell is Murray State?

— If you missed it amid all the excitement last night, read Rashawn Franklin’s post on the UK Hoops team taking on Florida today at Memorial Coliseum. Support your Lady Cats if you can; they’re an exciting team to watch. Seriously. Why would I lie to you?

Stick around today. We’ve got a little bit left on the Alabama game, and a preview of the NFL playoffs this afternoon. See you then!

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

40 Comments for Sunday Morning Links

1. tdogg4033011
    10:09 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz was on ESPNU yesterday @ 5:00, does anyone know how he did??

and I’m ready for some football today !!!

2. UKELVIS
    10:13 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Re: Clay’s article……………

Yes Rupp could be louder, a lot louder……but everytime the fans got into yesteday BAMA hit a contested shot or a foul was called!! Cats went to line 40 times…………That will take the gear our of anyone…………

You know its all about “Dougie the Show”………….when the CBS lights are on

3. SexnNursinHomes
    10:14 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

1- bird is the word

and osu the new #1? yeah right, Gottmycreditcard. No one trusts you because you steal. Thieves are considered highly untrustable.

4. UKFAN
    10:17 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Gottlieb. Always and idiot somewhere. I love how he just neutralized all of Ohio States loses like they don’t mean a thing.

5. Fake John Clay
    10:18 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

6. bung
    10:21 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

congrats murray state…i bet jumpin joe fulks is smilin…

7. Jack
    10:21 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Jorts broke his wrist! Out for the Knicks…. That’s a heartbreaker

8. Ryan
    10:33 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I just found an awesome Facebook group. It’s entitled “Doug Gottlieb is the Biggest Douchebag in the world.” It’s administered by someone within the Syracuse network. Here’s the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226941479

9. look out fireworks!
    10:34 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

RIP JOE PA

JOE KNOWS FOOTBALL

10. Viren
    10:41 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Matt,

John Clay is absolutely right. I have been harping on fans especially on the lower level never getting up once to cheer on our team. I have been to several games and unless it is a monster jam fans would sit in their comfy seats. I really hope the re refurbished Rupp Arena gives student few lover level row seats not just on the end zone but all the way around the sides, so we can create a great college atmosphere at Rupp Arena. What can fans do to request this? I know majority of fans would do anything to get TRUE STUDENT section be placed in Rupp Arena.

11. Some Guy in Kentucky
    10:42 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Did Jorts get injuried?

12. David from San Diego
    10:45 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

More Gottlieb idiocy……

As crazy as that is it appears Doug is on a roll with stupidity lately. Here are 2 other very recent articles, which are equally moronic in their statements.

He does not list Doron Lamb as one of the nations top 10 3 point shooters in this article. The guy was absolutely the number 2 shooter behind Diebler last year and deserves to be listed as a top 10 guy this year.

He then goes on to say Anthony Davis is the 4th ranked pro prospect and that MKG is all the way down at 16th. Uh…. OK Doug, oddly enough no NBA team scout feels the same way but I’m sure you must have a basis for your rankings here, you’d just have to explain it to us right?

Point is here CATS fans…. Doug continues to rise to the top of the list of guys who absolutely hates our program, and will write anything to put us down. I have no idea how he still has a job at ESPN.

13. John C
    10:45 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Doug Gottlieb STOLE MY CREDIT CARD last night I blocked the number that is why he hates UK so much.

14. the dykster
    10:45 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to Kentucky homegrown Ray Harper. Got his 1st of hopefully many wins as WKU head coach.

15. Sleeveless Vest
    10:47 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

No.1 Garment!

16. Blue
    10:48 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Re: Clay article

It’s all true! They are spoiled but it’s he lower level shoots who dare not let their professional friends see them getting excited about the game! An occasional golf clap will be sufficient. Why do they have to cheer, “they gave their donation check”? Let the real fans who want to be their to support the team and there for the game have the seats close to the court instead those that are their to be seen at the games!

17. saki7
    10:51 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Who cares what Gottlieb thinks? He’s entitled to an opinion, even if it’s obviously wrong. Also, I think the women’s team hasn’t been called the Lady Cats..or ‘Kats’..since the 90’s. But whatever. Hope they win.

18. Fat ninja
    10:54 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Hopefully with the “great renovation” where we lose seating at least we might get the senior seat warmers up in a box and get some real fans down low making noise I just don’t know where ill sit when the boxes take my seat in the rafters

19. RIP
    10:59 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Joe Pa.

20. Indiana Schools #1 Killers!
    11:01 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Maybe UK will be #1 come tourney time, and we can punk you again 😉

Congrats to Notre Dame.

And #10-nice job-all you hacks talking about how UK fans would never rush the court. It’s only because the Students are not close enough to the court, and your Admin realizes the heavy fine imposed by the SEC. LOL!!! UK going DOWN. Smoke and Mirrors boys. You haven’t got a chance.

21. Semi fat
    11:02 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Have you inquired with UK about lower level seating prices? Do so and get back with me… 600,000 for two plus you pay for the tickets yearly. Boom.. (mid court row BB)

22. InternationalPhilosophy
    11:09 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

It’s Sunday morning and no doubt the talking heads are filled with (something) chatting up Newt’s victory in SC yesterday.
    Special request to Republicans:
    Please nominate this guy. He’s your best chance.
    Really.
    Please.
    I’m not kidding.
    Honest.
    You can dooooooo it Waterboys.

23. shah
    11:16 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Jorts broke his wrist yesterday and is out for at least the next 6 weeks. He’ll need surgery. Send him some big blue lovin with a post KSR

24. REAL BLY
    11:30 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I HATE GOTTLIEB MORE THAN I HATE DUKE!!!!!

25. Enlightened
    11:37 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Indiana has been playing great lately. Losing to Nebraska? Nebraska?

26. Al's IndiCats
    11:47 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

LMFAO @20, Really you still tagging on the coat tails of your lucky win in Blooming-ville. We all saw how tough IU was against the mighty NE-freaking-braska. Or how you actually got your collective asses handed to you in Columbus and East Lansing, and yet you still troll the waters of KSR? Have you ever heard the saying “Flash in the Pan”? You can say this about your clown suited bunch. So help me everytime I see your team come to out warm up in those things I can almost hear The Barnum and Bailey theme song when the clowns come out before the show starts. You should PRAY to the basketball Gods that UK and IU don’t meet again in the tourny, for the only place a hoosier fan will be rushing to the nearest bar to drown your sorrows.

27. GapToothDanny
    11:49 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

#20:…said the man whose team just lost 3 in a row…IU fans have been relegated to cheering for ND now?
    GTD

28. Zack
    12:01 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

26- don’t forget about them losing in Hoosierville to Tubby and the Golden Gophers of Minnesota. Great team you got up there in Indiana lol. Doug Gottlieb is a complete tool, although he represents the network well. I’m surprised they haven’t given him a raise or promotion for articulating the views of the network toward UK so effectively…

29. Nutwrap
    12:02 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Did Gottlieb really say Ohio State is better than Kentucky because they have only lost tough road games at Kansas and at Indiana? I’m pretty sure he compared two teams by common opponents and picked the one who was 0-2 vs 1-1. And Kentucky was up when the final horn sounded against Indiana (just not .7 seconds after). Marquis Teague may not be playing lights out, but I think he’s better than Aaron Craft (or at least as good). Oh , but wait, we have 4 other starters and a backup who are all averaging 10+ points a game… Sorry Gottbutt, your be eating your words when Ohio State loses in the Sweet 16.

30. BigBlue1976
    12:07 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

#18 – Fat ninja. Where have you been? It has already been revealed that seating will be INCREASED.

31. Beetle bum
    12:59 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Gotlieb called out the refs at halftime of the UT game saying what Dykes would not say, that there were some crappy calls that went against the Cats. I laugh at the united cry of hatred toward some members of the media.

32. LeX98123
    1:06 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

to indiana #1 killers; kentuckt fans dont rush the court cause ky has won more than 1 buzzer beater, we’ve done it ssooo many timnes more than you guys in indiana we just dont need to rush the court anymore

33. Al's IndiCats
    1:07 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Oh hell Zack, I forgot all about that former UK coach that owned them in Hooserville. Thanks for reminding me!!!!
    12, I think you answered your own question in your last word of your last sentence. Anything UK isn’t relevent with ESPN unless your ACC or UConn. Just wondering how that Boatrite (or Boatman, whatever his name is) thing is working for that cheating bunch of A$$wipes!

34. The Cheese
    1:11 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Let’s be real, our student section Sucks. It isn’t their fault. Rupp is what it is……. Old people.

35. Deepsouthfan
    1:25 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Rupp HAS the potential to be the greatest arena of all time…IF you can get the people to get on their feet and yell. I was there yesterday and even had people behind me ask me to set down??? Are you kidding me! I would like to make a suggestion to any and all, especially the student section, to make signs…”Get up or go home!” Its a start…But please someone….anyone….do this. I plan to if I get to go to another game. GO CATS!

36. Fat ninja
    1:42 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

30 ok bjgblue1976 I wish I could say you’re right but I can’t I see a way for a seat increase and the addition of boxes the only increase will be ticket price

37. jpgott2
    2:22 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

I wish the “blue bloods” that just sit there in their cushy seats, would just GO HOME!! I have been to a couple games this season, and all of our older fans, and previous fans, just sit there, and watch the game like they are at an Opera. This is UK basketball, not Les Miserables, so get off your butt, and cheer on the Cats. If you want to just sit there, and be ho-hum, then go home and sit on your couch.
    I have never understood this about UK fans nowadays! Get up!

38. bcat
    3:51 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Florida’s women’s coach scares me.

39. UKBlueBlood81
    5:35 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

I think John Clay’s criticism of the crowd yesterday was unfair. I was there (as I usually am) and there were several times in the second half when the crowd began roaring when UK was on defense and, to Alabama’s credit, they hit a big shot to quiet the fans down. Most opponents in Rupp have no demonstrated such resiliency. No doubt for many games, the crowd is not involved adequately, but don’t blame them for yesterday.

40. ukfaninIL
    6:04 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Doug Gottlieb is a complete idiot. What in the world did he ever do that makes him this go to guy for college baskedball analysis?