Sunday Morning Recovery Links

46608

Good morning. Yes, last night still happened. Let me put on a pot of coffee and let’s talk about it.

— The Kentucky Kernel writes that it was the tale of two halves for Marquis Teague.

— John Clay covers what will surely be one of the hot topics of the day: Terrence Jones’ no good, very bad game.

— Larry Vaught wonders if the glass is half-full or half-empty after the Cats’ first loss of the season.

Kyle Tucker has analysis and quotes from Cal and Doron Lamb.

— Our old friend Bryan the Intern examines the Cats’ free throw shooting under Cal, a touchy subject after yesterday’s 10-17 performance. Go check it out, he’s got stats and everything.

— Dana O’Neil argues that Indiana’s win brought the Hoosiers back to “national prominence” (Here are the tissues if you need them).

— Let’s switch gears for a minute, shall we? Mark Story has a nice piece about Rodrick Rhodes and how his first year as the coach at Cordia High School Coach is going.

We’ll be here with you all day, promise.

51 Comments for Sunday Morning Recovery Links

1. RidgeRunner
    10:09 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Pre Season All American who really didn’t even try. Someone needs to address this. Followed basketball for 35 years and never seen anything like that that did not have a reason shared.

Fans, scouts, etc…all are wondering wtf.

Awesome effort by all the others because they tried. TJ did not even try. That worries me more than the loss.

2. RidgeRunner
    10:13 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

As posted before…

Jones…

I will support the kid until I know for sure what was going on. —and that is the crutch of all of this. As a pre season all american, you are thrust into the spotlight as any entertainer out there in any other field. When you show the lack of effort that he demonstrated, it is just plain natural for the speculation to run wild.

Coach or someone needs to address this overly rediculous effort. If it’s a medical reason, personal reason, etc… It needs to be stated. Otherwise, it is natural for the rumor mill to run rampid and terrible things to grow and grow in regards to TJ.

Cal thx for all you do & great job with these young kids. MKG, son you are a beast. Teague, I see you and you my man made a huge stride in half number 2. Lamb, my god what effort. Other guys…ya tried and this road test will help us.

TJ…waiting?

3. UKFanBoy
    10:22 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Everyone needs to take a step back a day later and realize what this game was, a great learning experience. It certainly hurts to lose to IU, especially in this manner, but this loss will likely prove more beneficial then a win in the long run. We battled back on the road in the toughest environment we will face all year (refs and otherwise) and still put ourselves in a position to win. This is with Davis being sidelined with foul trouble, Jones being invisible, and IU playing theit game of the century. I am proud of the way the team played. In the process Teague grew up tremendously and I believe will be a different player from this point forward. In the end, we will be better off because of this loss.

4. RidgeRunner
    10:23 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Ms T…yup, interesting story about Rhodes for sure. Took my mind off things a little. May need more stories like that…lol

5. tom9698
    10:24 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

It looks like the NCAA wants IU to be relevant again,because they had three of the best UK hatin refs on the court !! Can’t recall the name of the OLD skinny balding one that seemed to blow his whistle whenever we tried to start a run.Some of those fouls against A Davis were a joke.I wonder if CAL had T Jones stand in the middle of the locker room and tell the team that he’s sorry for the TERRIBLE game that he had.Coach ought to make him carry a basketball around campus all week,so maybe he’ll learn not to fumble it every time he touches it in a game.

6. UKFanBoy
    10:24 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Also, Jones will be fine. Players, like everyone else, have bad days. It’s not uncommon for a 19 yr old to sulk when things are going his way. Yes he has some growing up to do, but I am confident he will continue to mature.

7. UKnIN
    10:25 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Has UNLV now returned to “national prominence” since they beat #1 UNC a few weeks ago? come on it was one (HOME) game!!! This is and will be IU’s biggest win of the season, UK’s biggest win will be for the National Championship… GO CATS!

8. lpool003
    10:25 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

@3
    I couldn’t agree more. To say IU is back to national prominence after that game is borderline insane. They literally went all-in and still should have lost the game. I find it funny to see all the UofL fans losing their minds over this loss too. Whatever chance they had on the 31’st just went out the door yesterday when we lost.

9. Cat Fan
    10:26 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Any news on where Jai Lucas committed?

10. RidgeRunner
    10:29 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

9…But Jones is a second year player and who occupies an all american slot that others on this team and country aren’t. His bad days are 4 rebounds and hustle.

No sir…something was up and since he is in that role…as with Sullinger and others, there needs to be a reason explained.

I love UK and I will support him unless after a week or so…this lack of effort has not been explained as either personal or medical. No sir….effort, just plain effort is what is expected and he did not give any.

11. Keep Trying?
    10:34 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

#14, Give it Up. You are beyond pathetic. All your posts are the same. Can you at least come up with something new? Until you do, go back to the hole under the rock where you live and stay there…

12. saki7
    10:38 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I think IU has..uh..a little more work to do (winning regular season record, compete in Big 10, NCAA invitation) before there is a return to national ‘prominence’. But this is a good start for them. It at least made everyone remember that they’re there. I’ll be interested to see how they fare against Ohio State.

13. Robbie
    10:42 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Like ridge runner said, I’m dyin to know what was up with jones? I haven’t seen a star play with such a lack of effort during a big game ever. Was he sick? Seemed like he was Ill and if he wasn’t then theres a big problem there. Does he not realize he’s throwing money away every time he does this? Nothing frustrates me as much as wasted talent! Give me 5 Kidd gillchrist all day long.

14. Eddie C.
    10:45 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

truth be told that, if iu would have coninued to pound the ball into the paint, they might have won by 10. the brow would have been on the bench with jones and vargas would have been on his way to fouling out by the end of the game. these cats dont like controversy. they dont like it when they dont get the breaks. jones is a front runner and a pouter. this loss will be a good thing in the end for this team because it was the first time they didnt get the little things to fall just right to pull it out.

15. catcrawler
    10:46 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I WANT TO READ MATT’S LETTER HE HAS TO WRITE TO BOBBY KNIGHT. SHOULD BE GREAT!

16. kittyfan
    10:46 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Poor free throw shooting may not have cost us many games in the Calipari era, but it has and will continue to cost us the big ones! Lets hope we can improve.

17. kyrgaines
    10:50 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Well, there are a lot of things that contributed to the poor performance. I recall Cal stating he wasn’t going to practice the guys much this past week following the UNC game. Also, I figured that if Lamb missed the 1st FT, we would have been better off missing the 2nd as well, causing less time to get the ball up the court, assuming that they would even get the rebound…. it would not have been a transition pass and shoot situation… everything went their way and we had some guys that simply were not focused….

18. wow
    10:53 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

1st of all, How many fans were wearing Blue at the Indiana game? 100? Out of HOW MANY IU FANS? Jones didnt show up, Davis sat with foul trouble, Teague had a horrible first half, the refs were certainly Indiana fans, and still it took a lucky 3 to win against the Kentucky Wildcats. Im glad we lost, because now these boys will get their heads straight, they will realize they arent unbeatable, and they will start playing sum dang basketball from now on. This team is the best in America and come March, they will be rolling. Its just 1 game, probably the only 1 we lose all year, and guess what… BETTER YESTERDAY THAN IN MARCH/APRIL!

19. Computer Blue
    10:56 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

So we lost one game to a team that sucks. But it was a December game and the first real away game. No need to have a meltdown.

20. Fort Worth Cats Fan
    10:58 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I used to play collegiate basket and will not attack a specific player, know the other side of the coin. You all remember Antoine Walker and my friend Rod Rhodes his first year in the program. Jones wishes he had the mustard those two slapped on their hot dogs. Yet, good or bad, ‘toine & Rod always gave that effort. We didn’t see that yesterday which is why the attacks are coming Jones’ way. It would have been nice if Mashburn could have come in, sat down with TJ, worked one-on-one with him, and mentored him due to their similarities. BBN will be alright. Our heads are bloodied but unbowed.

21. Nassau65
    11:00 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Obviously, KSR has become the place where all posers come to try and make UK fans look bad. All the more reason KSR needs a registration page that doesn’t allow new poster’s comments to be seen until a few days after they register. Kinda like when buying a gun-you know, like in Loserville.
    Suck on it Schwump.
    Go Cats!

22. TBone
    11:02 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Nothing about this game really disappointed me except that our team couldn’t get up for a big game… That really frustrates me. How much more locker room material could you need to come out and lay the smack down on another team and these guys played as if nothing would inspire them to come out and make a point. Similarly, it seems they know how to handle playing a big game against a team who they’ll compete with down the road like UNC, but in rivalry or statement games they didn’t show up. When you’re #1, teams come at you different than when you’re just another top 10 team.

As for AD and TJ, they just need to listen to coach. I’m not going to landblast them for a pair of bad performances, but if we want a title, these two are going to have to play like they want to win every game, not like they expect to win every game.

23. Jeremy
    11:05 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Had to comment for the first time ever today because you had Terrence Jones and Rodrick Rhodes on the same page. To me Terrence Jones is the second coming of Rhodes. We can remember the hype when he came to play at UK. Then we witnessed yo-yo type performances like we have seen from Jones in his career. One classic Rhodes memory was Pitino mocking the way he was running up the floor during a game because he was so lackadaisical. Cal could have done the same with Jones yesterday. He was literally pouting on the bench and on the floor. To Cal’s point he had a bad game. I would contend you can never have bad effort. That’s exactly what Jones gave his teammates yesterday…very reminiscent of Rhodes during his career. A team player gives his all even if the ball isn’t going in or he isn’t getting any calls. To me yesterday proved TJ is about TJ and not winning the national championship he clammed to be returning for this year.

24. Xexrcrv
    11:05 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the game was 4 on 5 for the 30 minutes or so that jones was on the floor. We really were about 20 points better than that team if jones doesn’t lay down.

Also, I really hate to criticize referees, but I can think of 4-5 points lost for us that are dire fly attributable to missed calls. One in that seller lay up in the first half where he made a great catch way ahead of the defense and got a layup. The reason that play developed too quick for the cats to get back on defense is because after our made bucket the iu player who inbounded the ball didn’t actually do so from out of bounds. The other call was a block-charge where the Indiana defender walked under an airborne miller, who made the shot. BLOCKING FOUL!

And there were many more. Still would have won if jones hadn’t handicapped us.

25. Hoss
    11:09 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Guys, they lost to a team that had something to prove on their home court.

Move on, let the IU fans yell and point. They very rarely get this chance. Our guys did not want it as bad and it showed. Let’s move on w/o blaming players and coaches. It’s 1 loss and all you knee-jerk fans will be right back in the boat come new years.

26. Isaac in San Fran
    11:12 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

do you all not remember terrence jones a week ago? he was beastly against unc. oh no, i guess you all forgot that because you people have the shortest memories in all of sports.

well i remember. he’s made a pretty damn good case for that all american spot all season until last night. and don’t get me wrong, last night pissed me off, and yeah, he showboats too much sometimes. but he’s a 19-year-old kid. it happens. next saturday, you will see a different jones on the floor, i guarantee it.

jones will be ok, as will this team. some of you all need to just stop. you’re really making the rest of us look bad.

27. Al's IndiCats
    11:12 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

4,14, My guess you were 1 of triplets. Your siblings nursed off of Ma while you had to go nurse off of Pa. I want to hear you sing that same song on NYE. After all you seem to like it in all of the other blogs.
    You’re right on one perspective, we do have a lot of McDonald’s AA,but your All Americans come from Rally’s or White Castle. See you on the 31st!……Oh yeah just a reminder, bring your Depends, cause you are in for such an azz whipping you’ll have to stand up to even take a Pitino!

28. The Rich White Man in Control
    11:18 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I can’t help but like Tom Crean, he has just always seemed like a good guy. Congrats to him. Maybe a better coaching spot will open up after the season and he’ll leave the Indiana program out to dry and we’ll get to watch it rot again.

29. 1fan
    11:18 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I am not going to say a word about the effort TJ put forward. That’s obvious…I am livid at the attitude he had on the bench when his team is in a close game and he wont support his fellow teammates. Pouting like a baby! He is not worthy to wear Kentucky on his chest. Let him go play with the “thugs and gangsters” of UC and XU. I want to see someone appreciative to wear blue and white. They need to realize they are not bigger than the team…the program…the legacy. I vote get rid of him. He’s no good!

30. Token2 Extreme
    11:18 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Yup, Jones had a bad game, but it wasn’t because of zero hustle. He had some bad hands on a few of his turnovers, but he may have gotten down because of some none calls (typical home court advantage – see UK 1pt victory over UNC) – check out the hooking call against UK, but similar drive by Indiana players not calledc.

31. tubby knows
    11:20 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

32. tluckton
    11:21 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

One learning lesson is: Don’t play friends. This game reminded me of the Great Eight where Huggy Bear put it on us with less talent. Both teams, IU and wanted it. I’m sure our guys are down, but hey it’s early. A loss or two is good for the soul.

33. tluckton
    11:23 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

“Both teams, Iu and WVA wanted it.”

34. saki7
    11:23 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Objectively speaking, this game really doesn’t mean that much in the grand scheme of things and was a learning experience for the team. It’s just hard to take because of the rather large chip on the collective shoulder of IU fans toward UK that was on display this past week. It wasn’t becoming to their fan base, and I, for one, really wanted to see it all shoved back in their stupid faces. Oh well. It at least makes the rivalry interesting again.

Just a thought: fans of nationally prominent teams typically don’t storm the court. Maybe when they get used to the feeling, they’ll get there.

35. BleedingBlue
    11:25 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Looked to me like Cal jumped on Jones for his lack of defense early in the first half, and after that Jones just pouted the rest of the game. People complaining about the refs need to grow a pair and realize the refs didn’t decide this game. Heck if anything there should have been more calls against us, not IU. Fact is Indiana earned this win, we were lucky it was as close as it was coming down the stretch, if IU doesn’t go to sleep on offense for (4) minutes we lose by 6-10 points. After all that thou, I think this loss will help the team in the long run. Since this rivaly doesn’t mean much of anything anymore, the after taste won’t linger for long.

36. quickyricky
    11:27 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I’m confused, I thought yesterday WAS the National Championship. I saw IU rush the floor 17K strong. Right before ESPN signed off the air the maintenance crew had a ladder under the North basket. Did they not cut down the nets?

37. dcsports22
    11:27 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Great win for IU and not a bad loss at all for a young UK team with great potential. Reading some of these comments…especially some d bag from Texas calling our players selfish…some of our fans are just embarrassing!!!!

38. Kernel Sanders
    11:31 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

After looking through a couple hundred posts on KSR this morning, all I can say is I hope most of the posters don’t have kids and don’t ever procreate. Come good or bad, these kids play for YOUR team (supposedly). If you can throw these guys under the bus after a 1 point loss in a rivalry game, then I hate to think how you will treat your kid if he/she disappoints. Jones is a 19 year old that had a bad game. At least give him the opportunity to redeem himself before you slam him!! 99% of these comments make these posters sound like a bigger whiny puss than they claim their own players are!

39. Hero
    11:32 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Terrible game to be a UK fan but in the end it was a December game, not a late March or early April game. So we lost. Yeah, it suck and yeah I hate it too as I can’t stand IU! TJ was missing in action and a couple other guys were not playing up to their potential…it happens.

What I do think though is this team didn’t think they could lose. They didn’t think IU could beat them and that showed in their effort yesterday. IU thought they could beat UK and in the end, the team who brought the thought to the floor won the game. Meaning, if UK really thought they couldn’t be beat, they wouldn’t have been.

Congrats to IU as I hope this gets them going in the right direction. I certainly hope this isn’t their signature win of the year and they go down a bad conference road and miss the NCAAs.

UK will be fine and truth be told…we are more upset with having to go to work Monday and feel the heat from everyone more than actually losing this game as a fan!

40. freethrows
    11:35 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

If IU misses that last second three then all the talk would be about how we are going undefeated this year. Instead, it went in and now everyone thinks the sky is falling.

41. maxblackanvil
    11:37 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

I hate losing to Indiana as much as you guys, but this game should not be seen as the end of the world. Our guys had a ton of adversity to face and very nearly pulled it out. If you think that officiating was “creative”, wait until we go on the road in the SEC. I’m proud of our guys and feel like they will learn from this. We won’t get any favors on the road and when foul trouble happens, we will need to adapt. Better to lose this one than one in March.

42. dcsports22
    11:39 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

T Jones had a bad day, people! He is a kid and he is an awesome talent. Dont look for some breaking news!! The breaking news is, the kid had a bad day. IT HAPPENS. He will get his mojo back and get back to business so dont jump off the bandwagon just yet. Great learning experience for our boys yesterday.
    As far as our coach goes, look at all of the adversity he damn near overcame yesterday. EVERYTHING went IU’s way and we came within a hail mary of beating them on their home court. Be proud.
    Accept the loss like Cal does, with dignity.

43. Hoss
    11:41 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

36- same here. Dude is a straight fighter, man. Constantly beating the odds his entire career.

44. 1fan
    11:44 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

No doubt TJ is a great talent. Cal needs to make him check his ego at the door. The next time he screams and poses after a dunk he would he riding pine the rest of the year if I was coaching him. Humble him coach if u want to get the best from him!

45. dcsports22
    11:48 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

45 – That’s funny!!

46. catnuts
    11:58 am December 11, 2011 Permalink

Kidd-Gilchrist has finally figured out what he does best,drive the ball to the hoop!!! The first few games it was as though he was tryin to show everyone he could shoot the ball. Well, he proved that he couldn’t. Now that he has started taking the ball to the rack he looks like the player he was hyped up to be.He needs to stay in the gym and get that shot straigtened out and then he will be a top 10 pick.He has an ugly looking shot. I don’t know if you try to have him start over and teach him proper technique or just get the reps with the shot he has. Tough to change muscle memory having played for that many years shooting with same motion.

47. Kyle Macy's Socks
    1:00 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Regarding BTI’s FT analysis in the above link, his conclusion is that in only 3 of the 13 losses would a 75% FT shooting percentage have resulted in a win. What his analysis doesn’t appear to have taken into consideration is how many of those missed free throws were on the front end of a 1 and 1. Deeper analysis is needed to let Cal off the hook regarding poor free throw shooting.

48. The Real Deal
    2:07 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

Lets please quit blaming the refs. If they were so biased why was IU not in the bonus?

49. WTF???
    3:04 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

A kitten saying, “I has a sad??”

Is this Sue Heck’s bedroom or a sports blog? Geez.

50. tangledupinblue
    6:42 pm December 11, 2011 Permalink

You also have to take into account how many misses were the front end of a one and one .

51. IL Cat Fan