Sunday Morning Linkage

Sometimes you just need to be sad and stare at (and maybe click) some links. After a disappointing (but not totally unexpected) road loss to Arkansas, it feels like we are both to bubble watch for the Cats – which is honestly a place I never envisioned UK under Calipari, especially this year. It’s been an unfortunate chain of events this year, but all is not lost. Wins over Georgia and Florida lock up a tournament spot, and even a split between those games can get them in with a decent SEC tournament showing added on.

Let’s take a look at the morning links:

– For lack of a better term, USA Today calls this UK team “soft” and closer to the edge. Can’t say it’s too far from the truth.

– Speaking of the edge, the Bubble Watch is in full effect. Lunardi had Ole Miss in and Kentucky out, but this Bubble Watch puts Ole Miss out and destroys their resume. According to this, the Cats still have time to prove their worth.

– In a conference of teams fumbling around, Arkansas needed that home win against Kentucky badly.

Ashley Judd basically had her D.C. try out. Man, this is going to be incredibly intriguing to watch play out.

– The KHSAA Boys’ Sweet Sixteen is fast approaching. The battles are already intense – No. 2 Ballard beat No. 1 trinity last night to go to Rupp as the 7th Region winner. Many contend the 7th Region is the most stacked in the state, but could we see another sleeper cinderella story like the 15th Region’s Shelby  Valley this year?

– Some guy named Reid Forgrave wants to tell you 50 Things You Should Know About March Madness. No. 11 – “What’s up with Kentucky? They’re young.” Wise observation, sir.

George Clooney’s tiny bluegrass high school of Augusta is getting some press.

– In pro hoops news, a more passionate John Wall has emerged in Washington. Again, we hope this type of attiitude sticks and doesn’t fade with time.

That’s enough to go along with your coffee. Stay tunes for more as the day goes on.

Article written by Chris Thomas

45 Comments for Sunday Morning Linkage

1. bluetooth
    10:08 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

sad morning in ky . however we will regroup and roll over the dogs and then wear them stinkin gators OUT

2. integrity in high school athletics
    10:13 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Ballard, for knocking the hired guns from Trinity out of the tournament.

3. Mike
    10:14 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Team Ineptitude is no easier to deal with than they were yesterday. This team is on disconnect. It is o.k. for WCS and Goodwin to say more guys needed to bring it, but I hope they are telling Wusstjer, Poythress, and Harrow to their faces. I watched the sports recap shows last night and you could see how the Dukies, Georgetowns, and Gonzagas looked. We are playing on a totally different plane. We can’t pass, we can’t create turnovers, we can’t defend the 3, we don’t play with any discipline, and we don’t have any leadership. 30 games into the season and we still don’t have a clue. If we and UGA play like we did yesterday, we will finish the season on a 0-3 slide and will have no momentum going into playoffs. I had thought that maybe we could make final 32 with some luck because we really don’t have enough skill, will, or IQ to get there on talent.

4. bung
    10:34 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

barney, Otis, and Ernest T. Bass could pass well enough to run the fast break when willie got the rebounds…

5. rick rick play
    10:47 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

@ 2. Come on man. Ballard Softball team cheats, you think their not cheating in any other sport? They have two softball players that currently live outside Jefferson county. Two players from PRP, sisters. The news media won’t expose Ballard Sports because so many media members are conne cted to that school in some way.

So #2 don’t act like the catholic schools are the only ones cheating. I think it is sick to cheat in high school sports, what does this teach the kids?

6. bench warmer
    10:57 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

I would rather watch Jared Carter sitting on the bench than Wiltjer on the floor playing no defense,he is tooooo!!! soft like baby lotion!!

7. Constructive?
    11:02 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

#3-Can you dish the constructive criticism or what? Not here apparently. Why don’t you try to get in touch with Wiltjer and see how he likes the “nickname” you are giving him?

8. UKBlue
    11:04 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Ashley Judd has about as much chance of winning as UK has winning it all this year; actually UK has a better chance.

This far into the season, no one should be surprised we’re being called soft. We’re not just physically soft, even worse, we’re mentally soft. Thank God we got Uncle Julius & Noel or this team would have been completely horrible.

9. FLASHY
    11:08 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Drew keeps saying that college basketball is lacking in talent this year… so what does that say about these Cats being bubble-bound still…

Will Corey give mad props to Michelson’s slam dunk last night (like he did in honor of Chane), point, blank, period?

Kelly from Duke is who Wiltjer wishes to be, but his feet don’t work.

10. theSkinny81
    11:08 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

3 – Hey Mike, why don’t you go bash the players on Twitter? Dick.

11. Mitch Mc
    11:20 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

If by intriguing you mean idiotic then yes the Ashley Judd run in my state would be intriguing.

12. CATandMONKEY
    11:23 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Mike,

Criticism is fine. Lack of creativity is the purview of Cardinal and Hoosier fans.

Enjoy your occupation as the business end of a feminine hygiene device. (ad hominem complete, and intended.)

Poor showing yesterday. We have been spoiled. Not happy with our team but will support them all the way. I suspect the coaching staff is looking for answers even more enthusiastically than we, the fans are.
    GO CATS!

13. robroy
    11:24 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

8. Actually, i’m afraid she has a better than average chance of getting elected. I hate it, because she will join the takers in Washington and fit right in. I hate that she is a face of UK, but she needs to stay there and leave politics alone.

14. Mattcat68
    11:30 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Brains & heart, this team doesn’t possess either. Sad to see in a UK jersey.

15. Minchia
    11:34 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

The fans that are blaming Cal are dead wrong. Who ever recruited this class is the culprit, boy did he screw up big time.

16. Hollywood sucks
    11:38 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Ashley judd hates Christianity and coal….don’t think you will get a lot of votes with that platform in my glorious state of KY. Hate what Hollywood has done to this woman. It’s a shame

17. tyson
    11:42 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

I realize the 2nd rule of KSR is to promote a liberal agenda, but Ashley Judd will get DESTROYED running for Senate in KY. I’m no fan of McConnell, but between Ashley’s anti-coal, pro-abortion stances, not to mention the many skeletons in her closet, she has NO CHANCE. She will just embarrass herself. Stay in Hollywood and TN Ash.

18. Jen
    11:46 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

11, 14, 17 You people are the problem. Do society a favor and drop out of it.

19. Jen
    11:47 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

13. “The takers in Washington”? Do you have any thoughts that aren’t untruthful cliches?

20. Reality
    11:47 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Of course Miss Judd is gonna run. What else does she have to do? Her marriage is over. Her acting career is over. Her face is showing her age, badly. Where else can she get paid for doing nothing outside of Washington DC? Kinda hope she actually does run, then gets her azz handed to her by McConnell.

21. maddogmitchell55
    11:47 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand. As reported by KSR not too long ago, Lunardi is something like the 32nd best bracketologist over the last few years. Why does KSR repeateadly report on what he is predicting? Why not use the best bracketologist or the 2nd best? Heck, even the 25th best would be more accurate than Lunardi…

22. maddogmitchell55
    11:57 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

12. CATandMONKEY – Your third point was very well said. I, too, feel frustrated, but I would bet a dollar to a donut that the coaching staff is even more frustrated.

14. Mattcat68 – I’m sure you will be rooting for Goodwin, Poythress or anyone else on this team to do well in the NBA when (if) they make it. You will brag on them as being former Kentucky players if they have success such as winning Rookie of the Year, make the All-Star team or win the Slam Dunk title. However, now, since the law of averages has finally caught UK, you bash them and say they have no brains nor heart. Thanks for exposing yourself as a fairweather fan.

23. red headed step child
    11:59 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Agree 20. @19 there are more people on welfare in this state than people actually working. That is the takers of which we speak. Unless you have a government job you need to start paying closer attention.

24. Gavin S.
    11:59 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

These guys can hardly muster a good effort on their own floor. I can’t image the mockery they would make of tourney pressure.

25. robroy
    12:00 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

19. Jen.
    yes, yes i do. but i won’t waste them on you, you probably own an O’phone and draw a monthly paycheck from those of us that pay our own way. Have a nice day.

26. Sammydog
    12:03 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Me thinks you underestimate Ashley Judd. There is another side to the coal story in KY that rarely gets told but it is just as real and for many Kentuckians it will resonate. I can see the Ashley Judd country music express with Momma and Wynonna on board driving thru every hollow in KY appealing to women, women, and more women. When my Aunt Billie, a 75 yr old Republican from the mountains says she will vote for Ashley this is not as cut and dried as you may think. This will be a race that will attract much national attention to our state. The national press will follow every flip of Ashley’s skirt and use MM’s ugly face in contrast.

27. CATand MONKEY
    12:04 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

#22. I believe that is what I wrote:
    “…the coaching staff is looking for answers even more enthusiastically than we, the fans are.”…

implying that the coaches’ enthusiam for answers correlates to an even higher level of frustration as compared to us, the unwashed masses.

I may have been unclear.. I graduated from BOTH UofL and UK. 🙂

28. U sucK
    12:08 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

“BUBBLE” in my Jim Mora voice!! Look at the resume, college basketball is a joke if UK is even considered to the tournament, without winning the SEC tournament! If your a fan of college basketball you know this is true!

29. Thatsashame
    12:11 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

BHS represent!

30. capt
    12:32 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

7) I’ve heard some guys around here call him “Wheelchair.” I thought that was kinda funny.

31. Ashland Girl
    12:35 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Miss Judd needs to tell Kentuckians how she plans to replace the jobs she wants to take away from the coal miners. I don’t think women in Kentucky are as worried about Reproductive rights(abortion,free birth control) as one would think. She hasn’t lived in Ky for 20 years and she just represented TN at the convention. That was a huge mistake. She needs to run in TN or become an ambassador somewhere. She’s be perfect for that.

32. Turtlehead
    12:35 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

If Ashley doesn’t win in KY that would say more about KY than Ashley. Why are Rove and Miss McC so scared of her they’re already spending Kochbux? In the time it took for you to get exercised about that taker buying a Snickers with food stamps, a Haliburton lobbyist took $2K of your tax dollars.

33. Oh Yeah, Hilarious
    12:36 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

You are an Idiot if you think that’s funny #30-No wait, you are an Idiot, regardless.

34. mudcreekmark
    12:43 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

When the other teams coaches are calling our players soft, we are soft.I saw guards running away from the ball yesterday, scared to death to handle the ball against their pressure. That is embarrassing.

35. mudcreekmark
    12:52 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

A short glimpse into what is wrong with our team came on a play that I rewound a couple of times for my son in law to see yesterday. Arkansas shot a shot Mays and Poythress were both under the basket in position for a rebound. Mays looked around found a man and put his butt our against the guy to gain rebounding position on the off side of the basket. Meanwhile, Poythress stood there and watched the balls flight while an Arkansas player slid around him, rebounded the ball and scored. All Poythress had to do was to do his job just like Mays did and we get the rebound. These type plays happen all game long. I just don’t know how you can play basketball for all these years and not know that you have to put a body on a body to block someone out.

36. capt
    1:01 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

33) mommy loves you.

37. CB
    1:03 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

I spent about three hours sitting next to Ashley Judd at a fundraiser in Louisville last year where she was the main speaker. I had heard rumors that she wasn’t particularly plesant/friendly in person, and sadly I found that true. I haven’t walked a mile in her shoes, so I can’t pass judgement on her behavior, but I can say she isn’t even close to being “UK’s biggest fan”, as she refused to throw up the 3 goggles in a picture when I asked. As far as a political career, I think she’s disconnected enough from the realities most of us live with to fit right in.

38. MIke from Union
    1:05 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

#30 – Because they have been playing kids their whole life that are not as talented and their talent as gotten them by. No longer – kids now in college are just as big and quick – thus they are getting beat on fundamentals……hopefully next years class have alot of fundamentals to go along with their talent….

39. mudcreekmark
    1:31 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

38)I understand that because Goodwin and Poythress was so much more athletic than their competition they could get by with their athleticism but what kind of high school coach or AAU coac did they play for? You would think that someone would have pointed out to them that at the next level everyone is going to be athletic and you will have to use certain fundementals to be able to compete.

40. BBB
    1:53 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t bring this up but since its in the above “Sunday morning linkage” then its fair for me voice my opinion. Ashely Judd should stick to acting. We have one of the most powerful Senators in our entire country representing us and he’s done it for a long time, Thank God. If it weren’t for him and the NRA our gun rights would be trashed by now and our country would be further down the tubes. DO you want your 2nd amendment rights trashed??? Then vote for liberals like
    Ashley Judd and John Yarmuth. A vote for them is a vote against the 2nd amendment, a vote for legalized murder of unborn babies, out of control debt and spending, the radical curb of religious freedoms, continued disrespect fronm Radical Islam,open borders to those who will just “COME ON IN”, a continured spirial towards a one world government and the abolition of the Constitution. I could go on but I think you get my message. Our country hasn’t been this split since the Civil War….and thats where we are headed. If you disagree then get your head out of your a$$ and wake up and smell the coffee. Ifs happened before and it can happen again. We are NOT that civilized.

41. Red headed blue blood
    3:08 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

40. Preach on cause you are spot on. She looks pretty and talks pretty and that pretty much makes up the liberasl platform. No substance needed.
    When the balloon goes up I stand ready on your side of the fence, the side with guns on it

42. CoalMiner
    3:33 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Ashley Judd is lives in Tennessee not Kentucky she needs to run there. Why would anyone from Kentucky vote for her, she stands against everything Appalachia has to offer with her Hollywood silver spoon protestors. I despise seeing her at KY games

43. just sing or act
    3:39 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

“Used” to buy Dixie Chicks music and concert tickets, “used” to buy Bon Jovi music and concert tickets, “used” to buy Springsteen music and concert tickets, “used” to watch Ashley Judd movies, see a pattern here. If you want to be a singer or an actor, I’ll spend my money. If you want to be a politician, well then, guess I have a decision to make. “Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it”. If I want politics, I can go other places to get it. When I want UK sports, I go to KSR. Let’s keep it that way, please.

44. CB
    8:04 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

43- Why don’t you try what I do. If I see a headline I’m not interested in, I don’t read the article. No need to get so bent you have to “make a decision”. Ashley Judd is certainly tied to UK sports, and it would be reported just the same if she was contenplating unicorn ranching rather than politics.

45. Blueneck
    9:22 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m sick of these rich Hollywood elites thinking they know what people want and what is best for them. Don’t you see that people like her look down on most Kentuckians. The Hollywood elites love to push their green energy (while hating on coal, and don’t understand clean coal) and its easy for them because they can afford the green energy. How many electric cars do you see parked in Hazard or the west end of Louisville? And I’ve never heard her criticize UK for taking coal money. People like her have no plan for replacing coal jobs in KY – just put more people on welfare because spending other people’s money is always the political answer.
    It’s sad that rich people like her can come in from our of state and get votes with no understanding of the political process or economics but because they are movie stars (who can’t even keep a family together) people will go for them like a baby after a shiny toy.