Sunday Morning Blues Links

I don’t know about you but my Sunday mornings and early afternoons are directly influenced by the outcome of the previous day/night’s Kentucky game. By 4 p.m. I am ready to move on with my life, one way or another– but until then, it’s either basking in the glory of a win or reeling in the face of a loss. This morning, unfortunately, is the latter. I’m not going to pretend that this loss hurts worse than some of the others I’ve experienced as a fan. A regular season loss to Tennessee on the road, even by 30 points, is certainly not the worst loss I’ve ever seen. This one really stings though, and I think it might be due to underlying and yet overwhelming feeling that the rest of the season is nearing potential peril. No matter what, we’re all in this together… Let’s hit some early morning links, shall we?

ESPN’s Dana O’Neil talked about what the NCAA selection committee might have taken from yesterday’s loss to Tennessee. O’Neil admitted that if yesterday was Kentucky’s audition for the tourney, the director would be yelling, “NEXT!”

John Clay of the Lexington Herald Leader wrote this morning that on Saturday afternoon, “Kentucky lost any hope that everything will be OK.” Clay goes on to talk about the team’s inability to rally around the injury to Noel.

Call it grasping for straws. Call it desperation. Call it whatever you want, but last night one of Kentucky’s few potential marquee wins started to look just a little bit better. Maryland was able to pull the upset over Duke last night, boosting their NCAA Tournament profile according to most folks. Did Maryland storm the court? Of course they stormed the court. Who doesn’t storm the court?

One NBA GM told Adam Zagoria exactly what we’ve all been hearing and speculating for a while now: the 2013 NBA Draft will be “historically weak.” The GM said that we will see plenty of guys put their names in this draft because they will likely go higher than they ever would due to the lack of depth and talent in the draft.

The Sprite Slam Dunk contest isn’t exactly my cup of tea mediocre soft drink that has been bypassed by greater drinks such as Diet Dr. Pepper. The biggest names do not participate, and there’s only so many ways you can watch someone jump over a Kia. This year though, many from the Big Blue Nation were tempted to watch due to the inclusion of former Wildcat Eric Bledsoe. We’ll have more on him later, but here are the GIFs from all the dunks if you were out watching Safe Haven last night instead of sitting at home watching Charles Barkley talk.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

34 Comments for Sunday Morning Blues Links

1. Cat Fan in Georgia
    10:07 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I made this same post at the end of the previous thread…

We caught a little bit of a break yesterday. I just saw on Yahoo sports that CBS bagged our game with 15 minutes to go and most of the nation was put out of its misery by being switched to Marquette-Pitt. Assume CBS stayed with our game in KY, IN, TN, etc? I didn’t get a chance to watch the game here, but followed on my phone (for a while, at least).

2. Diet drinks are bad!
    10:10 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Do not drink diet sodas…they do more damage to your brain than the damage that normal sodas do with their added calories…

3. SAD day here
    10:13 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Sad day for BBN, gut check day. TRUTH is, this is a bad team. These 5 stars kids may have been great in High School, but they sure stink it up in college. Makes me wonder how Coach Cal was able to pick out the good one in the past. Whatever failed him this year. I still trust Coach and know we will bounce back—-but not this year. Hurry and get it over with. If we win 5 more games he deserves COY award.

I wonder how the future recruits will look at this year at UK, all the hype and such a bust. Puts a little doubt in my mind about next year and #9, please tell me what happened this year. So it is a down year, we are worse than just down. The rest of the down teams are way better than us.

Only good thing left this season,,we almost certainly will not have to worry about a loss to UL, Duke, Ind or NC. That would make a bad season worse.

Go BIG BLLUE, the BBN is still on the bus with you, hurting but here. WCS, just play and stick around for next year, hopefully you will then give us something to make YOU happy (and us as well).

4. Ares
    10:16 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I think the last 2 questions are who is returning and who else is going to sign on for next year.

5. JATR4
    10:18 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

“affected”

6. CATandMONKEY
    10:26 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Thank you, number 5.
    However, I am in TOTAL agreement with Ally on this one. Today SUCKS.

7. Tt
    10:26 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I gotta tell you, I like Aaron gordon over wiggins & randle.

8. BurnerTurner5
    10:26 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

#2 We have already lost to UL and Puke.

9. CATandMONKEY
    10:29 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Doug Shows should be banned from NCAA basketball .
    Just a not-so-random thought.

10. Dano
    10:29 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I would rather watch the bench lose to better players while giving it their all than watch these babies stand around and complain about things not going their way.

11. bubbashine
    10:30 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I don’t have a blog on UK sports, but if I did there would never be links to Dana O’Neil, an infamous UK hater, nor Jeff Goodman, Pat Forde, and Jerry Tipton. Why give them hits? I hope fans are not reading the O’Neil article.

12. unca b
    10:38 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I keep reading in various articles where many think poythress will be drafted to the NBA. That may be, but I swear, i just don’t see it happening. What has he shown at the college level that would make ANYONE believe he can compete at the next level? I’ve read he will be drafted on potential many times. Unless something drastic changes in his play, i think we’ve seen about all the potential we can hope for this year-and that ain’t much. What he has done so far would not give me the idea that his “potential” is worth millions. And i’m not just picking on him, i think the same could be said for WCS and Goodwin as well. Another year in college could prove otherwise, but i think as of right now, anyone who thinks differently needs to take off the blue glasses. I hope Cal finds a way to motivate all of them for their own good but time is quickly running out. I had great hopes for this season (not as much as last year’s team), but let’s face it, we are just really not very good this year.

13. Opti
    10:49 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Two good questions Ares.

Two more questions…Who should return and who would Cal want to return?

14. Opti
    10:52 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

If this is a historically poor class will the drafting and guaranteed contracts for talent that is not ready and may never be ready for the NBA change their stance on One and Done?

15. Sammydog
    10:56 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

The draft is extremely weak this year so mediocre players will have a better shot now than next year when the draft will be loaded. AP, AG, and NN will enter the draft and get paid. If AP and AG stay another year they will probably be exposed by our better freshmen and their status will drop. They need to take the $$ while they can get it and run. In the long run that will be better for UK and them. WCS and Wilcher should come back and develop more. They probably will. I doubt Harrow can be NBA material. He should probably transfer if he even wants to continue playing basketball. At best, he might be able to play overseas.

16. jmfatz47
    11:01 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I have never been more disappointed in a player than I have been with harrow. Never seen anything so pathetic in my life. No way he has the chops to play at the next level…. sucks but its true

17. Brink
    11:05 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

13 Mike please explain to me how vandy is all of the sudden a power house?? We may be playing like ish but a 10-14 team that has won exactly 1 road game all year is plying better than us how??

18. Mike
    11:08 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

16. I have…Poythress gets my vote hands down…to have all that athleticism, size, and supposedly talent, he has been a total BUST.

19. Mike
    11:09 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

18. Brink….don’t recall saying anything about Vandy being a powerhouse….said Vandy is currently playing better than we are and wudn’t be surprised if we took another whoopin wednesday night. That’s how much confidence our current team inspires.

20. Brink
    11:10 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

15 whos wilcher?

21. Brink
    11:10 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

how is losing 5 of thier last 7 playing better than anybody?

22. inspector
    11:14 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

If some of these guys do not go pro this year, I can see some of them not coming back next year. Cal’s demands are to much for them handle. They thought they were up to the challange, but just can not handle it.

23. Style Over Substance
    11:20 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Team name legacy: “The Forgettables”

24. Mike
    11:25 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

22. Brink….Vandy was preseason #3…they weren’t supposed to have anything and we were. They won big yesterday and we lost big yesterday.

25. Mike
    11:26 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

22…incorrect word should be “wasn’t”…u get my drift.

26. mudcreekmark
    11:29 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

15)If AP and AG stay, they may be exposed next year? I am pretty sure they have already been exposed.

27. Al's IndiCats
    11:36 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

In all honestly don’t see RH, AG AP coming back at all. Be it to the pros or transferring. Being a UK fan for almost 56 years I can say I seen us lose, and lose badly, but there was heart. With those three out on the court I see nothing. No heart no, sense of urgency…..NOTHING.
    Cal said it best these guys just cannot be coached, and for guy like Cal who has never thrown a player under the bus to say that you know it’s for real…..The league won’t put up with it long.

28. jr53
    11:40 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

24- Ha thats what I wrote 4 weeks ago. I agree with you, or it could be now “The Uncoachables”….After the 4th or 5th game of the year, our own Sean Woods said that this team is in no way a Kentucky team he had ever been around after the fund raiser. Wow he was right on…

29. Shimmer
    11:49 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

Any chance Ryan and Alex fouled out on purpose yesterday, in retaliation for not being in the starting lime-up? Seems like a suspicious line to me, a combined 4 pts., 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 10 fouls in a combined 38 minutes. That’s beyond their usual level of mediocrity.

30. mudcreekmark
    11:53 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

I have been searching the NBA Mock Draft boards this morning and some are not updated past the 4th or 5th of the month and most of them still had all four of the freshmen going in the first round. ESPN’s list of top pro prospects has all four in the top 17. Are they not watching the games? I see players all over the nation that I’d take over them.

31. mudcreekmark
    11:53 am February 17, 2013 Permalink

30) No, they are actually that bad.

32. bung
    12:08 pm February 17, 2013 Permalink

agree 28) wasn’t it Pitino’s 1st year when all the blue chippers had transferred and we were left with the in-state kids, Reggie Hanson, Richie Farmer, Feldhaus, and Pelphrey. Sure, they got beat 150 to 95 by no class Roy Williams at Kansas. But they scored 95 points and never quit on us. They turned out to be pretty unforgettable…Oh yeah, rock oliver was their strength coach…

33. renea
    1:12 pm February 17, 2013 Permalink

This has been a down year for BBN fans,,but what has made this season even worse for me as a diehard UK fan has been how so many throw our young players under the bus…I hate losing as much as anyone.. it effects my whole day/night/nxt day/wkend ect..but what hurts worse is hearing/reading what’s referred by others as having the most loyal fan base “they love their Cats” show so much hate towards certain players! Yes I get frustrated as much as the nxt,,but to say they’ve done nothing or shown nothing is absurd…how can anyone who watched early season games believe that!? Poythress&Goodwin are very talented players that played much better in the beginning of the season than now…why I’m not sure,,but it makes me question if us as fans tearing them apart has broken their spirit/confidence..don’t say that has nothing to do with it because Cal preaches about having pride/confidence,,how bad do you want it ect..as humans not everyone responds the same way to negativity..some take it&try to prove you wrong while others believe what’s being said as that’s who they are…Goodwin does make a lot of mistakes,,but he also does a lot right often within the same game! Poythress was amazing early season games even against Duke! Something hasn’t worked this season,,but the blame shouldn’t be placed only on the players..we have failed them as fans as well!!

34. Bob
    6:36 pm February 17, 2013 Permalink

I bet the team went to see Safe Haven.