Sunday Morning Bacon Link

In case you’re in the mood to re-live last nights debacle in Fayetteville, CBSSports.com recapped the game and tried to figure out just what went wrong for the Wildcats.

If you needed further proof that Kentucky has seen it’s stature fall tremendously in the past three years, ArkansasExpats.com wrote a piece titled “Arkansas 49, Kentucky 7: It’s only Kentucky, But Still…” In which they recap the game from an Arkansas perspective and make comments on the overall state of Kentucky’s damaged football program.

Paul Myerberg of FirstCoastNews.com wrote an article about coaches on the hot seat in the SEC.  The list included Tennessee’s Derek Dooley, Auburn’s Gene Chizik, Arkansas’ John L. Smith, and finally Kentucky’s Joker Phillips.

SlamOnline.com has an excellent mixtape of Big Blue Madness on their site alongside reviews of notable Kentucky players who stood out at Friday’s event.

Staying in the theme of basketball, former Kentucky standout, DeMarcus Cousins, was rated the 28th best player in the NBA by SlamOnline, ahead of players like Kevin Garnett, Manu Ginobili, and Amar’e Stoudemire.  John Wall came in at 38th and Anthony Davis was ranked 44th.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

39 Comments for Sunday Morning Bacon Link

1. The Oval Office
    10:12 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Big Cuz “muh-fuh-uhs”

2. Taco Wrecker
    10:13 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I think we have definitely moved past the stage of Joker being on the hot seat.

3. MemphisCat
    10:15 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

That sucks that a team beats us to death, but then to talk about the game and say we won, but it is only against UK is a slap in the face to a already terrible program and to have the nerve to say we are the 3rd best team in the state is a false statement, we are more like the 4th or 5th best team. (Get it right)

4. MemphisCat
    10:20 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I think we are also past the point of Joker being on the Hot seat, I just wish the article was true and we are getting a new coach at the end of the year. Arkansas beat us like a dog, and their coach is a lame duck and is out at the end of the season. I don’t want John L. but he is coaching to try to get another job next year, Joker is just not coaching.

5. Roby
    10:23 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Does Enes throw up the 3 goggles after his dunk on Cole Aldrich??

6. UK
    10:24 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Hot seat? ‘The jokes’ azz should be on fire! What is mitch waiting for? What is the BOT waiting for?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, people do not attend the game this week. Tailgate your azz off for the game but just stay in the lot. An empty stadium on tv is an indictment on ‘the joke’ and mitch, not the fans. We have no other vehicle to show our absolute disgust for all things UK football than this. If mitch truly did tell a fan to “shut up” – then we need to tell him to find a new job!

7. niaps
    10:39 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I have said it since day 1 of the Joker reign that he was a terrible hire. He did nothing under Brooks to be given that head coaching job. He was an embarrassment as offensive coach and then they made him head coach. Logic does not exist when it comes to UK football and this is the best example. Not being politically correct here but he was made coach because he is a black former player who had not a single minute as a HEAD COACH even in a peewee league. Logic? UK football has been damaged by this man to the point of no return in the forseeable future.Uk is the black hole of college football nothing can come out of it. A sad tale but with no ending.

8. Insider
    10:42 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Joker is scheduled to meet with Barnhart at 3:00 this afternoon. The players are meeting with Joker at 5:00 pm.

Get the KSR staff on it.

9. Matt in Franklin
    10:47 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I’ve bled blue my whole life, I’ve pulled for UK in football the whole time, thru thick and thicker, I’ve defended the team every time somebody has said they suck, but I am now officially done. Till they get rid of this moron HC and staff, I refuse to waste another second of my time on this train wreck. Coach Brooks tweeted last night they are dead, and so is my support of this program. It’s not the players fault, it’s the coaches, and they have totally dismantled any momentum that was gained during Coach Brooks’ tenure. If UK cared the least little bit about their football program, the HC would be canned first thing Monday morning, but I guarantee these idiots will be there next season.

10. barn
    10:50 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

8–i think a contract extension is in the works

11. Bradley
    10:54 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Let’s hope the powers that be tell Mitch to get out of the way like they did on the Calipari hire. He’s been disastrous at making hires in the two revenue sports. Brooks is the best he’s done. BCG and Joker are two hires that should get any AD canned.

12. Beavis
    11:08 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I have said all along that UK had the 4th best team in the state behind UL,,Western and Trinity. Have changed my opinion,,, they have the 6th best team in the state behind,,UL,,Western,,Trinity,,Highlands and Bowling Green. The AD needs to let Joker finish this disaster but go ahead and announce this is his last year. Start the search for a new coach immediately. Note to Mitch,,,no more one man coaching searches,,,,they have not worked out to well for you.

13. Aaron
    11:11 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

12.) Don’t forget Georgetown and Univ. of Cumberlands

14. D. Hazle
    11:19 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

It was terrible the game was stopped just when we were getting ready to score our 50 points

15. Fret Not
    11:21 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks the only reason joker wasn’t fired last season was because he is black? After all the heat we got for tubby, I dont think mitch wanted to deal with all of that again.

16. More bad news...
    11:23 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Not only was there a disaster in Arkansas, what went down in Mississippi with Dooley crashing UT and auburns downfall at ole miss assures uk is competing with 3 other schools in our own conference much less the whole country. Even if UK throws the bank at a coach they’ll get last pick. If they can’t get a name theymightjust keep joker.

17. KentuckyGentleman
    11:24 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I have come full circle here, from wholeheartedly supporting Joker at the beginning of the year, to having doubts, to thinking just get until the end of the season to a new coach, to know hoping he resigns immediately! UK football has become an absolute joke! When you get beat by a pitiful Arkansas team 49-7 and it isn’t even a full game, that says more than I need to know!

18. Mitch Barnhart
    11:28 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Hey I don’t give shi& about what you pathetic loser fans want or are about. I’m Mitch f’ing Barnhart kneel before me you slum dog retar$s

I will extend jokers contract and you will like it.

If I ha my way I wouldn’t have hired cal I’d gone for proven winner, someone with no HC experience , like Alan Houston the former UT power house ply.

Kneel before Zod Barnart!!!

19. Jim
    11:32 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

How about hiring Sonny Dykes from Louisiana Tech? He has a great pedigree and has coached in the SEC before (as an assistant). They gave Texas AM all they wanted yesterday.

20. Is it me or
    11:32 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Is it me or is Mitch Barnhart this billy G of AD’s

21. stevie
    11:38 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

No! Barnhart was the same idiot who extended Tubby’s contract and who gave him a raise. He is the same idiot who hired BCG. The Joker hire just makes Barbhart look like the joke.

If Cal hadn’t been forced on Barnhart he wouldn’t be here now.

Barnhart is the worst AD in the history of sports.

22. harry
    11:39 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

for similar results, i can coach for 100k… no signing bonus, no endorsements none of that.

23. harry
    11:40 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

fine 80k, i’ll be the lowest paying coach. mitch please look my way

24. MemphisCat
    11:44 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Harry sounds like your over-qualified for the UK job.

25. Big Whoop
    11:45 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

I received a call from UK’s Gatton school of business the other night asking for a donation. I told the kid who called that I would not be donating to anything having to do with the University of Kentucky until UK does something to upgrade facilities and coach for football. After last night’s game, I’m sure I made the right decision. If this school doesn’t care about its best revenue producing sport, don’t ask me and other fans to make up the difference in lost revenues.

26. CatGrad7072
    11:46 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

15: Joker wasn’t fired last year because we got lucky and beat the worse UT team in 50 years.
    I think when he fires Joker it will be Tubby II.

27. Skin healing
    11:52 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Hiya!! Great information and facts, highly appreciated. Just stumbled on your post randomly while searching information related to other anti aging products and solutions available in the market. I believe the information you have given is very near to reality 🙂 Being part of quite similar industry I have a significant knowledge 😉

28. harry
    11:53 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

biggest perk for me will be watching the game from the sidelines, meeting coach cal, coach mitchell, etc. Fine I’ll take 60k and no less. Wait I dont have to work all year, just admin stuff… my final offer 45k.

29. coleman gaines
    12:05 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

The thunder and ligtning storm that caused an early and abrupt end to the Kentucky – Arkansas football game was a prime example of Cod’s mercy on the hapless.

30. coleman gaines
    12:06 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

“God’s

31. rick
    12:16 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know what to say

32. BlueCat
    12:21 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Someone give me a bio on Sonny Dykes, please? I wanted Leach last year, would still like to have him or Petrino, but if Dykes is an up and comer with a great offensive passing scheme I would be open to someone like that.

33. Jim
    12:38 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

34. SanDiegoDave
    12:57 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t it about time to cancel the remainder of the UK football season?

35. Rixter
    1:27 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

November 26, 2011
    …”As I do after each season, I will follow up on our regular, in-season conversations with a more formal and thorough review of all aspects of our football program and address any needs after that meeting with Coach Phillips.
    Bowl games and a climb up the rigorous SEC ladder continue to be my expectation and markers of our program’s progress. I remain confident in Coach Phillips, his continued ability to find and develop young talent and his plan to return Kentucky football to post-season play…. Coach Phillips helped turn our offense around to what our expectation level is today and I’m confident he will do it again”
    – Mitch Barnhart

OK, Mitch…your credibility is on the line here. Your very own words were ‘ Bowl games and a climb up the SEC ladder are the expectation and markers. We have no hope of a bowl game, and continue to move DOWN the SEC ladder. What are you going to do about it???

36. Brian Billick
    1:58 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I’ll tell everyone what went wrong the Arkansas game–Joker Phillips is the UK football head coach. Feel free to apply this statement to every game for the rest of the season.

37. Matt in Franklin
    2:37 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

@ #28…Can I be your D coordinator…I have this GREAT idea…there’s this fancy new thing called “game film”…it is, get this, AN ACTUAL FILM OF THE TEAM WE ARE PLAYING, BUT THEY ARE PLAYING SOMEBODY ELSE FROM THE WEEK OR WEEKS BEFORE THEY PLAY US…if we watch this REAL close, we will see what their strengths are AS WELL AS THEIR WEAKNESSES ARE! I will then coach our guys to do stuff to attack their weaknesses, and this will give us, get this, AN ADVANTAGE! I’ll also find the best jr. high school football coach to show the defensive players how to wrap up and tackle another football player to the ground. Keep in mind, I’m just a factory worker, with no formal coaching training, but I’ll take a cut in pay to coach at UK!

38. Duke Sucks
    2:43 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry people but the reality is David Cutcliff. The only way Cutcliff isn’t coaching UK next year is if he is in Tenn. Complain all you want but that’s the facts. After the shape Joker has this program in you should hope Cutcliff will take this subpar job. Patrino will go to Auburn or Tenn no way he takes Uk over either one of those jobs. Reality is it football not basketball. If Cutcliff would take it Barnhart should hire him on the spot.

39. BlueCat
    4:36 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

33 thanks! He has a good resume.