Stop me if you’ve heard this one…

Players at Texas Tech are upset with the way Billy Gillispie treats them and some are threatening to leave the program if Gillispie remains the head coach. ESPN.com is reporting that the Texas Tech basketball team met with university athletic director Kirby Hocutt to discuss the players’ concerns with Billy G. Among the list of complaints from the players were practice hours, the way they’re being coached, and the relationship they have with Gillispie.

One player told ESPN, “He’s not the most personable person, not the coach you can go and talk to. He breaks you down. But he doesn’t build you back up. It’s hard to play for him when that happens every day. You feel like you’re getting torn down and you can’t get back up.”

He said there are a lot of “mind games” being played.

Sounds pretty familiar, right?

We’ve heard similar stories from the group of guys who played under Billy Gillispie at Kentucky. “Mind games” is exactly how some former players described his coaching methods, as well as “tough love.” It appears he hasn’t changed his style since leaving Lexington.

Texas Tech has nine new scholarship players on the roster for the upcoming season, after six players transferred from the 2011-12 team.

It’s not looking good for Billy G’s future if these reports of mutiny are true.

[ESPN.com: Mutiny at Texas Tech?]

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Stop me if you’ve heard this one…

1. SexnNursinHomes
    1:13 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Emmerts: Hey ESPN, I need you to throw the heat off unc. Whatcha got for me?

ESPN: Well, there is a Billy Gillispie story that we could run as an “ESPN ALERT”. Will that work?

Emmerts: Yeah, that’ll work. Run with it…

2. kablooey
    1:14 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Not trying to bring this up again but that UNC academic scandal release said, “A member of the NCAA enforcement staff traveled to Chapel Hill several times ” and we can confirm at least two NCAA “enforcement staff members” traveled to Noel’s high school to look into nothing, and their sending one guys to oversee an completely internally investiagted [*cough cough COVERUP] at UNC?

3. kablooey
    1:15 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

sorry bad grammar, just figure it out

4. Eddie Van Halen
    1:22 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

What’s wrong with drinking all day, everyday? Me and BCG get to share a hospital room and knock back some cold ones. And, trade asshole stories.

5. Experienced
    1:22 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Very soon we will see stories released about Billy G getting fired and then not too far after that another alcohol related incident. Soon after rehab he will obtain another job based off his performance with A&M and UTEP. Can the world just let this guy fade into memory please?

6. BobKYCats
    1:24 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Surprise, surprise.

7. TexasCatFan11
    1:33 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I’m a student at Tech and went to a few games last year, and I can tell you that by the end of the season, he completely lost the respect of the players. You could see in their demeanor on the court that they did not enjoy playing for Gillispie.

8. Pam
    1:39 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I feel sorry for the Texas Tech players, just like I felt sorry for ours at UK. I have no idea why any school would hire him in the first place. It’s ridiculous to treat your players with such disrespect.

9. I. Melvin
    1:39 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Is it a tradition amongst overmatched Athletic Directors to hire abusive drunkards as head basketball coaches at UK?

What the hell was Barnhart thinking? (We know Hagan wasn’t thinking because he never did.)

Thank God for those around the program that forced his hand on Cal.

10. InBillyClyde'sMind
    1:53 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Those Texas Tech players just aren’t “Tough Enough” and just like gettting “Whipped” by the other teams. I’m trying to make them tough, I will put them in the bathroom stall to get their minds right.

11. BlueTexan
    2:03 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I guess Barnfart isn’t the only IDIOT Athletic Director…BCG left a trail of creditable, unflattering media reports/stories regarding his demeanor/actions throughout his two Texas stops (UTEP/TX A&M)…but, Barnfart hired him anyway!? The TX Tech AD must have read Mitch’s book – “How To Hire Head Coaches Without Researching Their Backgrounds”. Or, Mitch’s new book -“How To Annoint An Unproven Head Football Coach, Aggravate The Fan Base and Loose Season Ticket Sales”.

Barnfart should have been given a ticket on the same Greyhound BCG took out of town.

12. Computer Blue
    2:11 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I truly hope Billy is over his alcoholism. But drunk or not he’s a jerk and an idiot.

13. Bubba Earl
    2:11 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I cannot imagine playing for Knight, Knight and Gillispie, if I had played for the last 4 years!

14. loose_deuce
    2:12 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Barnfart, that is sooo funny! Do you write for Community?

15. CATandMONKEY
    2:18 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

“This is not the University of Billy Gillispie!”

16. CatsFan
    2:36 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Oh good! I was wondering what had happened to the “On this Day in KSR history” segment

17. Chicago Chris
    3:32 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

I’m just curious where are the stories from A&M and UTEP.

18. Labowski
    3:42 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Tech needs a player good enough to score 54 points just to win a close game. That way the other Tech players could see how a selfish player can ruin a team. Who in their right mind would even want to score that many points against a rival? Any body want to join me for a few brews at Rafferty’s

19. Beavis
    3:57 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

What was the AD at Tech thinking when he hired Billy ? I guess it was the same thing UK’s AD was thinking when he hired Billy. Just unbelievable.

20. Linda Taylor
    4:37 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

It’s unbelievable how many people are posting on ESPN about how the Texas Tech players are soft and wusses. And of course they are bringing politics into it saying that this is what is wrong with America. SMH.

21. BlueTexan
    4:56 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

#17- Google Billy Gillispie and/or Texas A&M basketball or UTEP basketball and a myriad of stories will appear…mostly from the Houston Chronicle or Dallas Morning News Sports Sections…when Barnfart hired BCG I was totally dumbfounded as we’d been reading the horror stories about him for years. But, “Thank God & Greyhound he’s gone.” However, I do hope his latest “hospitalization” is not from losing a bout with “Jack…”!

22. Billy G
    5:04 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Cal is not the only guy running a ONE AND DONE program…

23. Real Cats Fan
    5:06 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

You know, Barnhart hiring BCG as UK’s basketball coach may have been the worst coaching hire in history – if Texas Tech had not come along and trumped him.

24. Andy
    3:11 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

Billy needs to change his coaching ways. HIs BK mentality don’t cut it nowadays. I doubt TT keeps him very long if atheltes transfer.

25. Walter J. Freeman, II
    8:26 am September 1, 2012 Permalink

Had a H.S. coach that would break you down. Most of us left the program. Finally one guy who’d been cut every year ‘made’ the team due to – attrition.

BCG needs a lobotomy.