Stoops: “We can be a very good team and we can shock a lot of people”

Screen shot 2013-08-26 at 11.17.19 AM

Mark Stoops held his first game week press conference minutes ago to preview the game against Western. Nick Roush will be by in a bit with a full recap, but here are a few highlights:

— First off, Stoops said that he wants his team to use the motivation of losing to Western last season in a row to get them hyped for Saturday. In fact, even though the UK coaching job was but a glint in his eye at the time, Stoops says last year’s loss bothered him, too: “I told them it bothered me that we lost that game a year ago and it should bother them.

— Stoops says that the staff has chosen a starting quarterback, but refused to say whether it was Jalen Whitlow or Max Smith. He said they will tell the quarterbacks this week, but will keep the media (and Western Kentucky) guessing until kickoff. KSR spies say it’s Whitlow.

— When asked about wanting his team to have “swagger,” Stoops balked a little at the term, but said that he does want his guys to play with confidence and a bit of a chip on their shoulders. According to him, they have every reason to: “I do want them playing with more of an attitude. I want them to give their max. …I feel good. We can be a very good team and shock a lot of people.”

Five days.

17 Comments for Stoops: “We can be a very good team and we can shock a lot of people”

1. I am hoping
    12:44 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

It will be interesting just how we shock people, with freshman who come from schools who never played any high level of talent and got shut down by the few talented schools they played against.

2. RICK
    12:45 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

KY 31 WKU 10, We are about to kick there butts and i like WKU.

3. BlueDeuce
    1:04 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I think Western over thinks the game and tries too much to beat UK. Petrino wants to play at a high level but he’s in the same boat as UK…the players simply aren’t there yet. UK will play with what they have and stay within a game plan, not over thinking or trying to over play things…UK 28 WKU 14.

4. MadTex
    1:04 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

The key word is can – will they? We’re about to find out. This season is primarily practice for next year and beyond. We’re going to take some lumps this year but perhaps not be as embarrassed in some games like we have been in the past. We’ll see what Stoops has with the guys on the team. Talk is cheap – it’s what is between the ears that matters most and the desire/will to win that comes in right behind that.

5. UKwildcat89
    1:05 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

UPSET ALERT: Saturday SEPT 28, 2013 UK vs. UF
    REASONS:
    1. Home Game (Packed House)
    2. Building on off the MOMENTUM from being 3 -0 after and huge win over Louisville
    3. 2 week’s to Prepare
    4. STOOPS (need i say more).

OUTCOME: 35 – 28 UK Beats UF

HAHA gotta love it

6. bigbluegh
    1:08 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I doubt anyone needs extra motivation, but show them the clip of Andrew Jackson telling the world “They supposed to be SEC!” and shaking his head. The year after that sound bite, WKU beat us. That’s how they see us.

7. editor
    1:09 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Stoops said that he wants his team to use the motivation of losing to Western two years in a row to get them hyped for Saturday.

^^needs the word “potentially” or it reads funny.

8. TheDecker
    1:14 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

In year one, I hope we can upset a team or two, but to be honest…. I’ll just be happy with good fundamentals, good clock management, and team discipline. Hoping for a decrease in the “WTF are we doing?” moments this year.

9. Shawon
    1:31 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I HOPE the UK football team shocks me by winning 5 games or more. That would be outstanding.

I am also shocked by Stoops’ gray collar and other gray trim on his shirt. That is not outstanding.

10. goUKats
    1:44 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Stoops,”I told them it bothered me that we lost that game a year ago and it should bother them.” Great !!!!! I hope the team is listening,and I hope they are bothered to the point where they kick WKUs’ rear end.
    Really nice to have a coach who cares about winning,something last years bunch seemed to care little about.

11. Jeremy
    1:45 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Although he hasn’t coach a single game, I hope Stoops stays at KY for 30 years!

I love this guy!

CATS

12. HateUT
    1:57 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

What’s up with the UT Ticket Office advertisement on KSR?

13. Blake Bone
    2:02 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Is Blake Bone still announcing tomorrow?

14. JD
    2:08 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I thought Blake bone was announcing today. Is it tomorrow?

15. Al/in/Indy
    2:19 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Even though I root for almost every school in the state (with the exception of Uvel) I hope we pound them like a cheap steak this Saturday. The names Petrino and Pitino are just too close to NOT dislike either one. 35-10 Cats!

16. Al/in/Indy
    2:22 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Damn auto correct…to “LIKE” not dislike

17. Jeffrey
    4:26 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

If we can be good, and if Stoops thinks we can, then I hope we can shock a few teams.