Stoops says the team probably won’t use the black helmets this season

GreyJerseys
Don’t get too excited about those black helmets just yet.

Mark Stoops is making the rounds at ESPN, and just finished up his Sportsnation online chat. One bit of news did come out: the Cats probably won’t be sporting those new black helmets this season. When asked, Stoops said that fans could expect to see the black helmets “maybe somewhere in the future,” but “probably not this year.”

Other highlights:

— Stoops says the staff is still working on recruiting several positions for 2014, especially offensive lineman, wide receiver, cornerback and defensive line.

— As for the current squad, Stoops calls the depth at defensive line and quarterback the team’s bright spots, and that because of a thin wide receiving corps, the staff will utilize tight ends to help cover the position.

— What has been Stoops’ coolest experience so far as Kentucky’s head coach? “Walking into the spring game. Walking through the Catwalk and seeing the passionate Big Blue Nation fans.”

Get used to it, Coach. Check out all of Stoops’ answers here.

27 Comments for Stoops says the team probably won’t use the black helmets this season

1. RealTalkk
    12:10 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Are those “black” helmets actually black or grey? It looks like a metallic grey to me, which would also match the grey uniforms, not the black ones…..

2. NO MATT JONES
    12:22 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

It’s called matte black. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/83756d1244225927-just-got-my-car-done-matte-black-dsc00375.jpg

It’s not metallic at all, it softens light, and gives it a dull, greyed-out look.

3. oregoncat
    12:31 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

what’s the point of school colors?

4. Cowheard
    12:35 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

While interviewing Steve Spurrier, Collin Cowherd just pointed out how ridiculous it is for a program to mail 180 letters to a recruit (UK). Spurrier basically said that some programs have to do things like that to even get recruits. I love UK football, but I do agree with Cowherd.

5. abcd
    12:40 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

helms should always be blue or at least have a significant usage of blue

6. btowncatfan
    12:47 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

4. And who wound up with Drew Barker?

7. Terry Blue
    12:48 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Tell Drew Barker how ridiculous it is to get 100 plus letters or Matt Elam! In fact I’m hoping UK sends a big shipment to Braxton Berrios soon

8. NO MATT JONES
    12:53 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Alabama sends recruits hundreds of letters. Look it up. People are just knocking it because Kentucky is doing it, and it’s working. They didn’t say anything when Saban does it.

9. Turner the Burner
    12:53 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

3 – For a game or 2 – It is fine… College kids want to have new and exciting uniforms. Do you ever walk into a hat store? Lids carries more LA Dodgers hats that are all black or all white than they due blue and white…. It is the times that we live. If you want tradition, flip on some games from the 70’s

10. Tyler
    12:55 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

# 4 If I recall correctly UK has a better recruiting class than spurrier…. so there’s that. Spurrier and Cowherd can say all they want. All I care about is getting the best guys.

11. Cowherd
    12:56 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Who has a national championship? Spurrier. Spurrier has sustained excellence in multiple programs. One recruit doesn’t invalidate Coherd’s point. Some recruits will will love the attention, others will see it as begging and desperate.

12. Traditionalist
    12:56 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Personally I absolutely hate those helmets and uniforms. With that said, if the boys like them, then so be it. I think I can overlook the colors and style if Stoops keep landing top recruits. 🙂

13. cracka
    12:56 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

yup, my favorite uk hat is all black with a black uk logo

14. CWS party
    1:00 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

I can wait a year for the new helmets. I am just so excited they will be changing the atmosphere in CWS to a more hype party type atmosphere. The crowd energy really does feed into the players energy, and the state of the crowd for about the past quarter century has been funeral home at best.

15. Cowherd
    1:02 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Furthermore, remove Spurrier from the picture. The teams who are winning and who sustain a high level of success do NOT recruit like that (i.e. Bama, LSU, etc). 5 Stars haven’t announced yet. The class ranks are still evolving.

16. Just go home
    1:10 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

15. Bama does do it you fuggin dumba$$. At least troll with facts. Cowheard called, may he have his dick back please and you got something on your chin.

17. Really!!!
    1:12 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Come on #17….Cowherd is too busy wiping off his face to use google.

18. nick
    1:14 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Just out of curiosity what players out of the 2013 class are expected to be on campus and now for the season this fall? I know that Thomas has already been kicked off the team and also have heard the rumors about alvonte bell not making it for this fall along with blue, willis, mcwilson and meadows. Any others that may or may not be here when it’s all said and done?

19. Dusten
    1:26 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

It seems they’re saving the helmets for a more worthy on field product

20. Bobbum man
    1:26 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Why have them if they’re not gonna use them? Wonder if he’s Savin them for when we’ll be more competitive, I would like to see the matte black with maybe some kind of blue stripe down the middle that would really pop with the matte, or maybe a claw mark or something to stick out a little more, jus think a lil blue on that helmet would look awesome with some blue unis

21. GetFarmersJerseyOutofRupp
    1:51 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

@17, the troll was mistaken. That doesn’t excuse you from being an ignorant douche.

22. CATandMONKEY
    1:55 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 20, 21. I think Stoops is holding them back as a motivational ploy.
    “You guys want the bada$$ helmets? Let’s try being bada$$es on the field first.”
    My hockey coach did that exact thing back in early eighties. It worked.

23. flying V
    1:59 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

#23 is that what convinced you to let your knuckle puck fly?

24. WEAREUK
    3:02 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

FYI, a football manager told me that they only have that 1 right now for a prototype. They don’t even have any for the players.

25. Indiana Sucks
    3:22 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

I would assume they just took the decals for the blue helmet and put it on a matte black helmet they ordered just as a base idea I like the idea. I also think we need to put the Power K on the white helmets as well.

26. Rockfield, KY
    3:44 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

26. Looks like you’re correct. The UK logo isn’t even close to centered. It’s just for a good idea of how they could look.