Stoops saw Chris Rodriguez a yard into the end zone but “it doesn’t matter”

Sep 26, 2020; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Kentucky Wildcats head coach Mark Stoops questions an official during the second quarter against the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

(John Reed-USA TODAY Sports)

Mark Stoops couldn’t get through his Monday afternoon press conference without being asked to comment on the Chris Rodriguez touchdown controversy one more time.

When asked immediately after the game on Saturday, Stoops said, “He was clearly in. I really can’t give a good explanation. I didn’t really get good explanations all day. I don’t know if it’s us wearing these masks and all that, I don’t know. But that was a big swing.”

Now that he’s had time to review the tape and unwind, his tone hasn’t really changed.

LOOK: How was this not a touchdown by Chris Rodriguez?

Stoops replied, “I sent the film in. I can’t ever comment on what they tell me, and I haven’t gotten that back yet, so I’ll wait and hear what the official word is.”

“But it doesn’t matter,” he added. “Unfortunately it doesn’t matter. Until something changes or somebody holds somebody accountable, we need to move on. What did it look like to me? It looked like he was a yard deep into the end zone.”

Stoops is still upset, it sounds, but ready to move on from a costly decision beyond his control.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Stoops saw Chris Rodriguez a yard into the end zone but “it doesn’t matter”

1. BowdenQB4ever
    1:25 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Plenty of things to be upset about that were under his control, not sure why he’s still talking about this.

• bkeith75
      1:29 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Because he was asked what his thoughts were on it.

• Gogh Big Bleu
      1:29 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Lol

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:39 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Because Stoops could control his players pretty much giving up after they realized the refs would never let them win.

• dcforuk
      4:41 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yo BQB4 – Did you know that a question consists of two parts: (1) a topic and (2) a demand? You have the choice and the right to ignore my questions because I have no authority over you and you are not accountable to an administration for how you respond to my topical demands. You can simply walk away and ignore me.

2. UKFanSC
    2:39 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes it was a touchdown, but there were many reasons why we lost that game. Starting with the fact that Auburn is a better team. Just put this one behind us and hope for a wind this Saturday.

• UKFanSC
      2:40 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Win

3. 2andToodleLoo
    2:46 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Auburn is ranked 8. UK 23.
    Good grief you people are so critical.

• blueballs80
      3:04 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

That was a huge momentum swing. The SEC should apologize to Mark. We get the ball to start the third quarter and we would be in control.

4. Keets
    4:32 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

“#23” UK showed that even with self-inflicted mistakes, it had a shot against “#8” Auburn. The ranking has no bearing on analyzing the game. When you look at the stats and consider the game flow, it’s not unreasonably critical to question the impact of that TD before half. The no-call mattered and impacted future decision making in what played out as a tight game (doesn’t excuse poor decision making). The no-call would matter less if Auburn produced 28 second half points with 300+ yards of offense, controlled the clock, etc.

5. dcforuk
    4:46 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Impression without expression leads to depression. Stoops is just looking for a healthy way to express how that call impressed him. Jim Mora says it best what I think about that call (not that we necessarily gave them the game but the other part):