Stoops reaching out to former Kentucky players

BRoz6unCAAA9fnA

One of the first things John Calipari did when he took the job at Kentucky was reach out to former players. It appears Mark Stoops is doing the same thing. This morning, former offensive lineman Matt Smith posted this picture on Twitter with the caption “@UKCoachStoops looking out for the ex-players even though we didn’t get to play for him. Feeling the love! #BBN.”

Smith signed with the Falcons this summer. If you can’t read it in the picture, the handwritten note from Stoops reads “Matt, Good luck in training camp! You are welcome back here anytime. Let us know if there is anything we can ever do. Go Cats! Coach Stoops”

Gets it.

12 Comments for Stoops reaching out to former Kentucky players

1. ReverendBlue
    1:01 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Stoops “gets it.” (sound familiar?)

2. GRob
    1:09 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

ReverendBlue, you stole my thunder. Coach Stoops and his staff absolutely GET IT!! I am so happy Coach Stoops is our coach. Go Cats!!

3. Steve Fitts
    1:12 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, your 5th grade English teacher says it should read “let us know” instead of “lus us know.”

4. Musehobo
    1:37 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. But I have to wonder about what Big Brother (NCAA) would say about this. Don’t get me wrong, I HATE the NCAA and it’s stupid rules. But stay with me here a sec. If a coach can send players gifts (yes, I know it’s a t-shirt and a hat or whatever) after graduation, then whose to say they couldn’t promise a recruit a car, or whatever, upon exiting. That being said, I totally think what Stoops has done is completely innocent, and I applaud him for it. But doesn’t this just reek of something the NCAA would stick their nose into and ban? I don’t know, is there anyone out there that knows if this is legal?

5. stoops
    1:38 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

players’ first football program
    we cant hide you in the air raid

6. UPSCat4080
    1:47 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

4….there is nothing that the NCAA can do to a coach for sending a player a gift AFTER they are no longer an NCAA athlete. Matter of fact…your comment about a coach promising a car after they exit the program could have nothing done about it either IMO. As long as no gifts exchange hands while the player is a recruit or NCAA athlete then there is nothing the NCAA can do…period.

It is un telling what all coaches promise during the recruiting process….as long as no items exchange hands though…they are fine.

7. Catsfan
    1:50 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

To be clear Matt was not drafted by the Falcons, he was an undrafted free agent.

8. Do whut?
    2:47 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

From my rather limited experience with former players I can say there were definitely comments made that guys didn’t really feel all that welcome around the program. Whether or not this is widely true of former team members I think it clearly makes a lot of sense to embrace the guys that have been a pivotal part of BBN. It also doesn’t hurt putting guys who were paid to play in front of recruits. Randall Cobb anyone?

9. Off Week
    2:52 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

I think this is great! A lot of those former players gave all they had week after week and never got the chance to enjoy positive feedback. Truth is, Stoops is with us because of former players’ interest/involvement and future players will be influenced by the attitude of men like Matt Smith.

10. Gold
    3:59 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Darn fine site!! I expect to see fast growth for you in the future.

11. Linda Taylor
    5:22 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Randall Cobb just tweeted out his camp care package from Coach Stoops too. I love the new coaching staff doing this for our past warriors.

12. ExcitedCatFan
    5:27 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

This further solidifies that Stoops was the right hire. Classy move. The handwritten note is top notch. His momma taught him well.