Stoops Press Conference Notes

Mark Stoops was introduced in front of a packed crowd at Nutter Fieldhouse that wasn’t in short supply of bells and whistles. His 5-year roughly 11 million dollar contract (plus incentives) will put him to work immediately.

– Mitch gave opening remarks, thanking Dr. Capilouto, board members, and Tim Couch who was surprisingly missing in action during the event that had plenty of tricks. “A Chance for new beginnings, Hope, and Belief we can move forward. Hopes and dreams to play in the game that was last night in Atlanta. Today we are bringing a man that participated in one of those Championships last night and they did OK, Congrats to them.”

– Dr. Capilouto gave a few words of thanks and briefly discussed monetary plans for the football program, but did so in a hoarse voice. “My voice is gone, not because of sickness but because I’ve been practicing my audition all week for Stoops’ Troops.”

Stoops began with enthusiasm, “This is What BBN is all about! Been hearing all about it appreciate being here; it’s a great honor.” He thanked his wife, ‘the coach at home’, and all of the players, coaches, and staff at FSU. “I liked the way we won out. I wanted to leave on the right note and give fans confidence from your new head football coach.” Here are some more remarks from your new coach:

On his family:

Many nights were spent watching film in our kitchen with my father, using the fridge as canvas. Iit made a big part of who I am. My Father would say follow to my heart and believe what is right. For me it was a no-brainer.

His goals for the program:

Kentucky has had success, the key will be builing on that and consistently take it to another level. A strong staff that will build on recruiting along with and administration that is committed to the program. We can play in the SEC Championship game. Not just play, but play and win it.

His plans for hiring a staff:

Interviewing a few OC’s real soon. Had a few conversations and I feel good about our prospects. Going to hit the road and put together my offensive staff first. I feel good about defense and I  have my DC targeted, on board ready to go. I realize OC will be a critical posistion because of my defensive experience.

What kind of O?

Were going to have one that you’re going to enjoy, I promise you that. Where’s Tim Couch at? Where going to have one you’re going to be proud of; you have to be creative. I’m a defensive guy, this is SEC, and I know it’s physical. Have to build it with great defense, if we don’t build it you’re not going to win. The offense needs a guy that has a plan, been successful, and is creative (gets the bells and whistles going).

What specifically drew him to UK over other jobs?

THE BBN!!!!!!! I feel very good about UK. I felt comfortable with Mitch and confident with Dr. Capilouto’s and the board’s commitment to taking this to a new level. We have what it takes, now its our job to develop it into a consistent winner.

Role of Tim Couch in the interview process?

I talked to him on the phone and he was involved with one of the interviews. I understand Tim’s impact and I want to lean on him and visit with him on some ideas about where to go with our program.

What was the process of getting this job?

Mitch and I met 3 weeks ago after I had a Thursday game, shortly after position came open. I had chance to meet with him about specifics of my plans for UK and  have had ongoing conversations since then.

Recruiting strengths

“We’re going to recruit Kentucky hard and take care of our home first and foremost. We’re going after Ohio hard where we have strong ties. We will make our way through the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida a little bit.”

Any guys on staff that he would consider?

Absolutely consider. I havent had a chance to visit with the coaches yet but absolutely.

Defensive Scheme?

We will be very defined defensively with 4-3 personnel. There will be multiple packages and our players will be very clear by spring their job. Well will honor the guys that have committed to play here, however we have to make sure they fit our system and evaluate them through that process.

On working with Coach Cal:

I’ve talked multiple times with Cal, and I’ve enjoyed it. I will be taking recruits to games and do what i can to utilize the team. Cal’s from Pittsburgh, I’m from Youngstown; it isn’t too different.

On local high school talent:

“There aren’t as many SEC caliber players as other places, but there are some and it’s our job to keep the great ones home. I understand there aren’t as many but there are some good ones and we need to do whatever we can to keep them home.”

On choosing to not coach in FSU’s bowl game:

“There’s just too much work to be done for me to still coach at FSU. This week was stressful trying to be at both places. It isn’t right for either side. I’m here now working for you and that’s where I want to be. There’s a balance because I have been though a great journey with these players at FSU. If I can go back and help if I have dead time in, I’ll do anything to help them win, especially if they play Louisville.

– @RoushKSR

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

34 Comments for Stoops Press Conference Notes

1. Pat
    4:26 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Go Cats! so excited for football!

2. Retardo Short
    4:31 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if Stoops can teach the basketball team to play defense. FIRE CAL!

3. dave
    4:35 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

cbs sports reporting coley wont be coming to UK. which seemed apparent during the presser

4. Floyd
    4:41 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

2 things I took from it: 1) Air Raid type offense (mentioning Couch) 2) HR will have ties to Ohio

5. Han
    4:45 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

3) Yeah, the fact that he said he had a DC targeted and likely on board but said he’ll go interview for OC suggests Coley either wasn’t offered that anyway (the rumors of Recruiting Coor/Asst. Hd Coach) or has turned him down.

My guess is Brown is going to be on the list. Any other likely candidates? I’d say we could try to buy away Kingsbury, but he’d be taking a lateral move away from a Heisman winner (probably) at QB.

6. Inside Source
    4:45 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Tim Couch will be the next OC!

7. BoPeep
    4:48 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t know people spoke in grammatical errors as well. Where instead of we’re. Really? Ksr needs an editor.

8. BigBluesClues
    4:50 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Optimization of UK is paramount….if we wait we all lose…Go Cayts

9. Get over it
    4:53 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#7 stfu. Do you visit this site to read about UK sports or grade papers?

10. Al's IndiCats
    4:54 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I LOVE that last sentence!

11. Rumblings
    4:55 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Hearing Harrow’s mommy came and picked him up again. Wonder if he still uses a booster seat? I think you are supposed to be 50 or 60 pounds before you are allowed in a car without it.

12. TR
    4:56 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Tim Couch doesn’t want an OC job and we don’t want him either. We don’t need gimmicks. Couch was a brilliant move though for Mitch…He’s his fall guy. If Stoops were to be a failure, which he won’t, Mitch has got Couch to help take the fall. Hear me out… All I ever wanted was someone to want to come here and we got it. I’m confident we’ll see Music City’s every year and I believe this is a coach that has me believing we may play a 13th game in Atlanta in 4 or 5 years.

13. Hajimo
    4:57 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

9 – maybe he visits the site while grading papers. Don’t be a douche it was a legitimate critique of the writing. Shouldn’t we all want to know what is tight so we can become better people? The writers here don’t understand basic sentence structure nor basic grammar. It’s sad that you only come on here in order to defend the writers that commit so many errors.

14. dave
    5:00 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

12- dumb. couch isnt a “fall guy” for mitch if stoops fails. just as macy isnt a fall guy had cal not succeeded.
    either mitch made a good hire or he didnt. no one else to blame unless he was misled/lied to.

15. Floyd
    5:01 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I imagine Neal Brown is his first choice. He’s probably discussed it with Couch; pertaining to what type of offense is needed.

16. Blue Jesus
    5:04 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

“I have my DC targeted, on board ready to go.”

Does this mean D.J. Eliot is our defensive coordinator? If so, I’m thrilled, when I was trying to find info on James Coley, Eliot kept coming up as one of FSU’s top recruiters and coaches, so that’s great if he’s on board.

17. LuvDaCats
    5:07 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait til opening day…#2 shut the f up………..go back to your basement, you are an embarresment.

18. BluesClues
    5:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Bopeep…go away, please? You think your life has value? I wish the waste coming out of me could teach your nondeserving soul.

19. BluesClues
    5:11 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Is that a burn?

20. Gangnam
    5:14 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Dang, boy is gonna need some aloe. you got him good. Curious though, what could waste teach him and how is his soul undeserving? You’re dumb.

21. JLivermore
    5:17 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

OK…now I’m on board with the hire. If Florida had been the first word out of his mouth on this issue, as it seemed to be with so many people here on the boards, I would have thrown up. Now, I see that he truly understands the UK situation and where we might actually have an advantage recruiting.

I’m glad Coley seems to be out of the picture. I didn’t really see that he brought that much, given that Jimbo Fisher is really FSU’s OC. As someone else on here said, Eliot seems to be more highly regarded by the FSU community so if he is the DC, that would be great.

22. Mitch Lies You Buys
    5:18 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

“Eli Capilouto doesn’t mind that I am responsible for paying 2 basketball coaches, and 2 Football coaches at the current time. Neither should you”

Coaches I’m Directly Responsible For UK Continuing To Pay:

Billy Clyde Gillispie — $
    Joker Phillips — $
    John Calipari — $
    Mark Stoops — $

“The ticket prices will continue to increase by percentages that curiously don’t match inflation BBN. Why?

This is because the Athletic Department is a quasi-separate entity which funds it’s 2 Basketball Head Coaches & 2 Head Football Coaches currently on the Kentucky Payroll on the backs of the fans, many of whom feel compelled to support the Schools Athletics, since they attended the school.

Swinging For The Fences Version 2012
    Head Coaching Record
    Overall 0—0
    Bowls 0-0

As long as you don’t say anything, I’ll just keep hiring coaches. Thanks for your support”

23. Get over it
    5:18 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

13-I could tear apart your entire post with loads of critique. But I’m not because I don’t care. I come on here to get the latest Wildcat sports information. You also need to learn what a douche is and be able to spot one. It is douchey to get on a sports website and dissect grammar when most people really want to talk about sports. Hang in there kid. I’ll help you.

24. Hajimo
    5:27 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Like my not ending the first sentence with a question mark, not putting a comma after douche, putting tight instead of right? Wow, you found 3 errors all of which are attributable to typing on an iphone. The difference is, I know the errors and the writers do not. Also, I am not writing for public consumption like they are.

25. Dude
    5:32 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

23 – I love the people that say they don’t care and then proceed to devote an entire paragraph to that person. You aren’t any better than he is.

26. Misguided
    5:33 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Are you ladies really talking about grammar on a sports blog?

Talk about lost!

When grammar becomes important on a spotrs blog then either:

1. The topic is not important enough to maintain attention
    2. The topic is being intentionally railroaded for one of 1000 reasons
    3. An english major has gotten lost on the internet
    4. Someone is calling out a job they could do better than the current staff
    5. Someone has a beef with the author, and finding anything to pick on is another way to stab the knife
    6. Someone has an obsessive/compulsive disorder which prevents them from being able to overlook grammatical error and focus on the actual content.

Which one is it Hajimo?

27. Get over it
    5:38 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

25-Follow along. I never said I don’t care about the person who posted. I don’t care about his/her grammar. I also never said I was better than anyone. But I must admit after reading your post, I may be better than at least one person.

28. JLivermore
    5:42 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#22 – I generally agree with your thoughts about Barnhart. If this ends up being a home run, it’s not because he hit it. It’s because it fell into his lap. I wish we had gotten a proven head coach, but the UK job is such a pathetic one to have right now, largely because of Mitch’s mistakes, that all the best candidates were probably going to jerk us around as the coaching carousel played out. I really felt like our best hope was to fall ass-backwards into a good coach like Vandy did with Franklin. Don’t know if Stoops is the right guy, but at least he wanted the job, is excited about it and has a reasonable, realistic sense about where UK can succeed in recruiting.

29. Dude, really?
    5:45 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

27 – Haha. Typical troll logic. Guess you just make up things that I say. I never said you cared about that guy and I never pointed out anything you said that would have implied you were better than anyone. Get off my lawn, Louisville lover.

30. Just Sayin'
    5:48 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Does everyone have their period today in BBN? Seems to be a ton of a-holes out and about today? In the eternal words of Mick at Altamont……..”Why are we fighting?”

Everyone please take their chill-pill and lighten the f&@k up. Love to all mine blue brethren!

31. Get over it.
    5:56 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

29-Louisville lover. Do you think you’re going to get others on here on your side by saying that? Your lack of creativity on your posts sure won’t do that on their own. I’ve been a UK supporter longer than you have been alive. Get off my lawn? 10 years ago sent me letter via standard mail, requesting their joke back.

32. Hajimo
    6:03 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I love lamp

33. fb>bb
    6:09 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Glad to hear he’s going back to a 4-3 defense. 3-4 doesn’t work in college.

34. Bulldawg
    7:55 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Not that I care, but Stoops’ quotes were butchered and that just gives haters more reason to hate. Errors in the comment section are acceptable but when a sports writer does not know how to accurately quote someone, it is not good for the site or the BBN that this site represents. It makes us all look dumb. Besides, half of these negative comments would not be on here and everyone would not have this “holier than thou” attitude if the errors were not there. How hard is it to proof read what you write, especially when you are representing BBN on Kentucky website? Who cares if the commenters can spell? I don’t think it is too much to ask for to have these guys proof read their work on a nationally read website. My 2 cents. Now I am broke…