Stoops and MacIntyre are your front-runners

If you take a look at the two photos above, there’s a pretty good chance you’re looking at Kentucky’s next football coach.  KSR believes Mike MacIntyre and Mark Stoops are the two leading candidates for the job and we could hear something in the next day or two.  Despite a quote from Jimbo Fisher and a report from Kyle Tucker last night, Stoops is still very much in play for the job. John Clay from the Herald-Leader agrees.  MacIntyre is right up there in the mix, too.

Stick around for the next 24-48 hours as Kentucky hopes to lock up a coach before these two slip away to someone else.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

91 Comments for Stoops and MacIntyre are your front-runners

1. BBN
    10:21 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

And all the while Auburn is negotiating to hire the BEST coach available — Bobby Petrino. So much for the SEC schools boycotting Petrino.

2. my rear end is mitching
    10:25 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Now I get it… Barnhart is actually on the side of the fans. I didn’t think so until just now, when I realized that he cannot reveal his master plan – to provide a free tanning experience for UK fans who actually show up to watch football next year. Those bleachers are really going to direct some UV rays your way with no one sitting in them. CWS will, once again, look like a pile of empty beer cans from the air.

Thanks Mitch!

3. RICK
    10:26 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Let thim slip away. No big news, what have they done? If we dont try and get Petrino it will be losing for years again.

4. Mark Stoops
    10:26 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If hired it is most likely he will go after two guys to be his d coordinator. His brother Mike Stoops or long time coaching pal Jim Leavitt, current LB coach for the 49ners.

Throw in a solid O coordinator and I think you have one hell of a staff and foundation moving forward. Remember Leavitt built South Florida from the ground up, using Mark Stoops on his initial staff to get things built.

5. Sunshine Pumper
    10:29 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Stoops or MacIntyre: The best available. #RISE

6. UK2001
    10:29 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Kingsbury or bust

7. aka kywildcat
    10:30 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Derrick Dooley V 2.5

8. Wild Bill Fan
    10:31 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I want Joker back

9. Dee Snutz
    10:31 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I’d love to see UK land Kirby Smart.

10. me
    10:32 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Bill Belichek isn’t our next coach…. I’ll never step foot in Commonwealth Stadium again

11. Steve Fitts
    10:35 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Coach Mac — please!!!

12. Thelma Lou
    10:36 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Auburn is talking with Petrino WTF!!? Geez Barney is really the worst isn’t he? I try my best not to keep up with this stuff because it is so frustrating. Argh!!! When can we start the AD search?

13. UK Fan
    10:36 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

To all KSR viewers: My comment was just deleted because I dared to criticize the hiring process conducted by Mitch Barnhart. Why would my post be deleted if KSR wasn’t covering for him?

14. UK Fan
    10:37 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Looks like it’s back up. Thank you KSR.

15. Chuck
    10:37 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

As I posted on another thread, I believe we will end up with Philip Fulmer because I believe Barnhart wanted Fulmer as soon as Joker was fired if not before Joker was fired. Barnhart doing the search by himself has no one to disprove whether or not some people get interviews or not and in the end he’ll go with Fulmer because no one else will take it, much the same way we ended up with Rich Brooks. I hope I’m wrong!

16. Chezzy
    10:38 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Hey KSR can get one of the interns on putting some stats, numbers and personal info together to contrast on these guys? Favorite colors, Ice Cream flavor, Defensive minded vs Offensive minded etc

17. yitbos
    10:39 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

You’re right it IS frustrating, I love how all the armchair AD’s sit back and take pot shots. None of us here really knows what’s going on behind the scenes and whom has said what to whom. I can understand some sense of entitlement from UK fans it comes to basketball because we have a rich tradition and are second to none. You all are delusional to think UK was the same pull in football. Even with beau-coup money being thrown at a “name” coach, why would he come here? Be realistic people.

18. Tim
    10:39 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I just like to check the comments to see UK’s football fans make buffoons of themselves with their extravagant ignorance. I’ve really got to get out of this habit. In reality all of the remaining contenders for the job seem to be full of potential and worthy of support. However, there’s no pleasing so many of the dullards who also follow my team.

19. UK Fan
    10:40 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

At this point in the debacle, Barnhart is looking for any warm body to fill this vacancy. I would love to see Petrino go to Auburn and come back and kick our ass.

20. Do the math
    10:41 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I would love to have Gary Anderson. Do some research on the guy, he is a hell of a defensive coach. The only draw back in my eyes is that he is a west coast/utah guy all the way. If hired, he would need to bring some assistants with southern recruiting experience. But this guy can flat out coach….oh yeah, he has beat two candidates for the UK hire this year in Dykes and MacIntyre.

21. UK Fan
    10:41 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Tim you sound like a neophyte with no experience in the history of Kentucky football. Oh by the way, this isn’t just your team.

22. KY_99
    10:42 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I honestly believe some on here would be upset no matter who was hired? Do you REALIZE every coach was an assistant of some sort before becoming a HC. Case and point Bobby P resume.

1992 Offense Cord- University of Idaho
    1994 QB coach- Nevada
    1995 Offense Cord- Utah State
    1998 Offense Cord- Louisville
    2002 Offense Cord- Auburn
    2003 FIRST HEAD COACH JOB- Louisville

Seriously people. Did anyone on here start at the highest position available in their company? No you work your way up the ladder by being successful.

23. theSkinny81
    10:44 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Bottom line: Kentucky CANT GET Petrino if an Auburn comes calling. Why is this so hard to understand????

24. Poop Tooth
    10:44 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m in pharmacy school with a lot of FSU alumni and ALL of them tell me that Stoops is huge for their football program. They say most of the fanbase wants him to replace Jimbo in the next year or two. They also pointed out to me that he was the defensive backs coach at Miami when they had their amazing secondary. He took a 2 star Ed Reed (among others) and turned him into one of the best defensive players in the NFL. With his family and career connections I am positive he can bring in a good staff/OC. Come on down we aren’t gonna do any better than him

25. Muzz
    10:44 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Mitch wants to let his career rest on the hire of on of these two … That should be the final sign that we need a new AD.

26. Don
    10:44 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

To downplay the prospect of getting Stoops to Lexington is moronic. He has that tough Youngstown Ohio football pedigree I think we could use, and excellent resources in his family and professional career to utilize. Here are some of the players he developed in his DB coaching at AZ, UM, etc…
    Mark Stoops’ All-Americans & NFL athletes
    DB Markese Fitzgerald Cowboys ’02
    CB Phillip Buchanon Raiders ’02
    DB Trent Gamble Dolphins 2000
    FS Brian Lee New England `98

27. Frank Wheatly
    10:45 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Go away Tim. I know you are smarter than the rest of us dullards and buffoons so please go spread your sarcasm somewhere else.

28. Beavis
    10:45 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

# 17,,,,,,Why would any “big name” coach come here and work for Barnhart ? Look at the AD’s record on coaching hires. And don’t say he hired coach Cal.

29. SMH
    10:47 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Is that what KSR believes?

What will your story be when Butch Jones or Sonny Sykes is named coach? Will you then admit you had no clue about the coaching search?

30. SteveM
    10:47 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Looks like it might well be Stoops. With a good DC, this might yet prove to be as good as we could hope given his Florida recruiting connections. Hope it’s true.

31. SMH
    10:48 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

or even Sonny DYKES

32. Bobby P
    10:49 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I was on my way to an interview but I crashed my bike.

33. NKY_UK_fan
    10:49 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Bottom line is who can recruit the best out of these two? Need as much top talent as you can get.

34. People
    10:50 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Yeah… another derrick dooley

35. Bleedblue36
    10:51 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

For all of you that don’t want one of these two coaches and won’t support the hiring of either…PLEASE do us all a favor and give up your season tickets. I think it may do some good to get the “I’ve been watching UK football lose for 30 years” people out of the seats. I would LOVE to have either of the two and think they are both top of the line up and coming coaches. I’m pumped to see the direction of the program.

36. UK Fan
    10:53 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Is Stoops being considered for any other HC position? If not, why not?

37. Tim
    10:54 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

#21 UK Fan Says: No, I’m not a newcomer, nor did I say the team belonged only to me. I said “share” the fanbase. You share the same fanbase with me and others. That’s how it works. Apropos of all of that, I do, however, realize that many of my fellow Kentucky fans are thicker than bricks.

38. NoJortsNoProblem
    10:54 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Stoops pass out at 31 Flavors last night!

39. Big Blue 66
    10:55 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

can you guys get off Bobby Ps nutsack…..not only has the guy done every employer wrong and every player wrong that he coached, but the guy broke State law by hiring his bimbette. I couldnt care less about a fling, but he BROKE STATE LAW people. You cant and shouldnt expect UK to hire someone with that mindset and that fact. If we get one of these 2 guys I will be supportive and hope they can build something here.

40. lawnorder
    10:57 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Who??? and ummmm…Who?

41. Pappa D Nutts
    11:01 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Out of the two choice, Stoops would be the best fit, hopefully he turns out to be another Muschamp, we do not need a west coast, sh!t conference guy in McFly.

42. UK Fan
    11:01 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Barnhart has come crawling back to Stoops after his inital rejection of the offer. Will promise facility upgrades to make this work. Expect word as soon as today.

43. Hartline
    11:03 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I wish some of the Bobby P supporters would go dig a whole and bury themselves. That is all. Can’t wait for the announcement.

44. Awesome fans!
    11:06 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Man, it’s awesome when so-called fans wish another team would come in our house and whip our ass. That’s the definition of a true fan. Cheer for the other team.

45. inside info
    11:06 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt and Drew know more than they are letting on. Stoops has verbally agreed to be the coach. As of last night, there was no contract signed. That should change today unless he gets a better offer with more money. Matt knows this because I got my info from the same source he did.

46. Stoop Me
    11:08 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

This program needs an entirely new attitude change..and I think Stoops has the best chance to do that.

47. theSkinny81
    11:09 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

44 – lol i know right??

this is what pops into my head every time when i read all of the whiny comments about Bobby P/Mitch Barnhart:

48. asdf
    11:09 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Have we considered science as an option? Let’s dig up and clone Bear Bryant, give him a caddy too, and tell him we’re very sorry!

49. KyKid
    11:10 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Geez people, Bobby Petrino is NOT going to be our next coach so move on. I am glad everyone is so passionate about this search, but let’s add some intelligence to the mix. Bobby Petrino has left every place he coached at worse than when he started. Yeah, he may win in the short term but there’s a reason all his former teams hate his guts. And Why is everyone so down on Mitch? You would think we were the Green Bay Packers and could pick whoever we want as FB coach. Folks, if we can get ANY of the top 4 we are looking at, we will be doing very well.

50. knowitall
    11:15 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

stoops or macintyre would be better choice than bobby P. i bet both of them are able to keep there Harley upright even with an unexperienced co-ed on the back. we should never hire a coach who cannot keep his Harley upright. thats why i would never hire bobby P.

51. SleepieAce
    11:15 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Florida got two national championships from a coach hired out of a west coast, sh!t conference. Just saying.

52. knowitall
    11:17 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

west coast coaches are cutting edge. everyone knows the new stuff starts in california and heads east. bell bottoms were big on west coast before they hit big here. if bell bottoms can make it in KY then so can a football coach.

53. Big Baby
    11:18 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Wah Bobby Petrino Wah Best Coach Available (holding my breath until my face turns blue) Petrino (stamping my feet), etc.

54. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    11:19 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Stoops would take it we’d be in bidness.

55. How
    11:19 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Petrino goes to Auburn, or anywhere else for that matter, how does that = Barnhart failure?? Even if he wanted to hire Petrino, why in the world would Petrino want to come to UK with all these other job openings? Petrino coached against UK at UofL and Ark, so he knows the shortcomings. Ridiculous. Kind of like an Ole Miss fan thinking Phil Jackson would come there to coach bball when Kennedy gets canned because, well you know, our AD should say please and toss $$ at him! jeez

56. Chezzy
    11:19 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

HIRE STOOPS – Matt just said he was a Ginger — I was fine with MacIntyre or Stoops but now that I know he is a Ginger we have to have him!! The only reason i watch the Bengals is because Andy Dalton is a ginger and being a ginger myself i love to see gingers succeed..

57. barn
    11:21 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

ever take a girlfriend for a ride on your harley and tap the brake every now and then so she suddenly lurches her ‘chest’ into your back. bet that’s what ol’ bobby p was doing when he got excited and ‘lost control’

58. knowitall
    11:22 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

we have pretty much dominated Auburn on the football field for the last 50 years so if they do get Petrino and beat us a few games big deal. it will take him decades to catch up to amount of wins we have over them……….

59. TNO
    11:24 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

17. yitbos – Do you really think like that? So, I’m a young ambitious CEO on the way up, would I choose a proven company where I can continue a successful operation or take a company that has the ability to build to that level? If the money is the same, I’m going for the one that will boost MY reputation as one that can grow the company, not one that can simply maintain a company that is already established. You’re thinking like a loser.

60. Maxwell Smith
    11:28 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

So, if Stoops is hired, who will my new offensive coordinator be? Mighty Matt alluded to some big time hire for this position but did not open his kimona to reveal himself.

61. oh c'mon
    11:28 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

#59 the key phrase in your post is “a company has the ability to build to that level”. In the last 60 years of UK football, what in the world makes you think UK has the ability to build to a level of success??? History teach you nothing? That is simply not a valid argument.

62. tmark
    11:29 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

mens basketball just won ncaa-volleyball makes ncaa tourney-mens and womens soccer make ncaa tourney-baseball team achieves number 1 ranking makes ncaa tourney. hard to badmouth the athletic director with the success the other programs are showing with his coaching hires. bash me all you want because i know you are going to but the facts speak for themselves. would love to see ky hire a saban type but the reality is that ain’t happening.

63. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    11:33 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

What Ky Kid said.

Petrino might be fabulous, and he might pull a Mike Leach, who was a miracle 4th quarter away from a complete disaster season at his new school. Petrino won’t win 9 games every year. (Arkansas won only 5 games under him his first year, after winning 8 the year before.) And the odds that he does something stupid off the field is demonstrably high.

I don’t believe that’s our best bet. I’ll take my chances with Stoops or MacIntyre. If they fail in 3 years, Petrino will probably be reeling from another scandal, and we can hire him then.

64. Catman
    11:35 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

AY Y’ALL I saw Stoops walking into Malone’s Banquets this mornings!

65. Derek
    11:37 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

ditto what #62 said. Facts are UK head football coach is a career killer! Its no more attractive than the Purdue football job. Its a fact that we all need to accept. Mitch has a big job ahead of him in convincing a coach to come here and getting the money needed to pay him.
    In basketball you combine the facilities, the traditon, the $$$, the UK name and fans with big time coach and you have formula for success.
    In football there is no facilities, no money, no tradition and people laugh when you say UK football. His only choice is to seek and energetic up and coming coach but that hard because their agents don’t want to lose a long term client and see UK as a dead end. History says it is a dead end job. Only Xavier Football is more of dead end job(see who gets that one).

66. Jim 1
    11:40 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Better hope that either MacIntyre or Stoops knows a good offensive coordinator that can put a lot of points on the board. That’s the only way they can have a winning record at UK.

UK fans will not tolerate more of the same old offensive displays put on by Joker and Sanders. Barnhart had better bring in some offensive excitement if he wants the fans to return. KSR are you to dumb to to get it?

67. David Davoudpour
    11:43 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Mr. MacIntyre can run a football team half as well as he can run the Shoney’s buffet the University of Kentucky will win a National Championship in the next five years. As CEO of Shoney’s it was hard for one to not recognize the fine work that Mr. MacIntyre was doing. When I heard about his caliber of work I personally made a trip down to his restaurant during what we in the buffet business call hell on earth and what you mere commoners know as Sunday brunch. My french toast sticks have never tasted so good. Do what you must to secure this hire.

68. Coach Cal
    11:47 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Whoever they hire better not poop in my ice cream…or be the ice cream in my poop bucket? I’m confused.

69. CTheTerminatorK23
    11:48 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

According to ESPN Insider UK has hired Mark Stoops as Head Coach!

70. westerncat
    11:48 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I really believe that anyone does not know what is going on.

71. Badams
    11:49 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Petrino is not the answer! What is wrong with you people? I think either of these will make an excellent hire as one turned a crap program, worse than ours, into a bowl team and the other has a great defense with a name for himself. If you people don’t want to support either of these, fine. But I dont wanna dare see you jump back on the wagon when UK has success.

72. average fan
    11:57 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I like both but would prefer Mac. He is a winner and that is what KY needs. After reading these comments I have come to the conclusion that most UK football fans are just plain dumb.

73. To comment on the last few minutes of the radio show:
    Nick Saban runs the 3-4. Granted though, his defense is littered with 4 and 5 stars made for that style, and ours won’t be no matter who the coach is. Even Mumme came to the conclusion that an 8 man front is the defense to run in the SEC. That’s why he hired the guy from Texas Tech (don’t remember his name but he had coached under Spike Dykes out there) who turned out to be a very good DC for us (remember Jeremy Caudill & co. beating up on Dave Ragone?). Of course he never coached under Mumme, but coached under Guy Morris.

74. Musehobo
    12:00 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

After reading the responses here, I am truly embarrassed to be a UK fan. This “my coach or I won’t watch” stuff is moronic. You make yourself look like an idiot.

75. DC Cat
    12:02 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Had hoped for Mac. His offense would potentially be great fun But, Stoops may turn out to be great fit. Certainly would support either Last choice is bobby p – he would be cancer to org and would eventually leave cupbard bare. For all his bobby or bust supporters, you all do realize he was once an assistant right? You also realize the man has zero character right? Anyone who does hire him deserves what they get.

76. GOT IT
    12:02 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Stoops will be brought in as Head Coach and Neal Brown (OC at Texas Tech) will be brought in as OC. Brown is from Danville and played at UK under Hal Mumme. It’s perfect.

77. 4getit
    12:03 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

The petrino people are driving me crazy. Auburn isnt looking at him, no sec school is because they know slive wont let it happen. everyone acts like he would come running here afyer he expressed so much disrespect our way while at ul. If he came here it would only be for 1-3 years and then we would be back to where we are now. Petrino is the Bruce pearl of football and no parents will want there children playing for him.

78. JF
    12:11 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

53 – Whoa, Glen Davis is commenting on KSR. What’s up big guy. Didn’t know you were a UK football fan.

79. 4getit
    12:13 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

65- feel, you do know the football team brings in more money than the basketball team, and its not even close

80. Joe
    12:14 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

All I can say is that because UK did not even CONSIDER Petrino, I will never attend ANOTHER UK Sporting event. Further, I am getting season tickets to whatever school does hire him, even if it is Juneau Alaska Junior College and School of Barbering.

81. greg
    12:21 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe so many of you still want Petrino and think these are bad options. Petrino is not coming to UK and I for one don’t want him.

82. @80
    12:22 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

ok

83. Punter U
    12:22 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

HIRE KINGSBURY!!!

84. Bolox
    12:26 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Bring in Phil Fulmer

85. Sammydog
    12:30 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Kyle Tucker’s tweet is accurate we may be lucky to get either one of these guys. He tweeted that agents are telling coaches the UK job is deadend and no up and comer should risk taking it.

86. DC Cat
    12:34 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

80 – sweet. Can i have your Rupp tickets?

Wow, if this was not a hoax post, then you’ve gotten a bit worked up over a coach who does not deserve such loyalty.

87. Joe
    12:37 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

DC Cat, there was a bit of tongue-in-cheek in my posting….

88. DC Cat
    12:41 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Joe – so no tickets then? I thought there was some tongue in cheek, but 1) wated the ticket source and 2) you never know after reading all the comments

89. Joe
    12:44 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#88 No Lie…I begin to cringe when Petrainiacs hope for Bobby P to go to Auburn and kick our butt…you ceased being an UK fan when that’ what you wish for.

90. Bobby Petrino
    12:50 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Please remove your nose from my taint, cause I taint coming to UK.

91. Saul