Stoop by for some Sunday Morning Links

Christmas will come early for Kentucky fans this afternoon when Mark Stoops is officially introduced at a 3 p.m. press conference as the new head football coach of the University of Kentucky. Kentucky fans have been waiting for this moment since the hire went public on Tuesday. Just a reminder that Kentucky fans will have 2 opportunities to welcome the new coach:

Choice A- 12:45 p.m RJ Corman Airplane Hanger, Nicholasville

Go see Coach as he lands in Lexington for the first time at the RJ Corman Airplane hanger in Nicholasville.  Go here and you can say you were there when it all began and the Mark Stoops era in Lexington really began.

Choice B- 2:45 p.m Nutter Field House

The second chance to see the new coach will be just before the 3 o’ clock press conference outside of the Nutter field house now displaying the Coach’s face. From there you can wander over to Commonwealth where they will be playing the conference on the video boards.

And now, allow me to link you…

– John Clay of the Lexington Herald Leader (enjoy it while it doesn’t cost ya…) believes that this young Kentucky team can become a good team, they just need more time. It’s too early to sound the alarms just yet, but Clay wonders how long it will take for this team to hit their stride…

– In case you missed it on Friday, ESPN released their first edition of the conference “Power Rankings. Kentucky found themselves in the #3 spot, behind Florida and Missouri.

– Kentucky basketball lost a member of their family yesterday with the passing of John Crigler. Crigler was a member of one of the most well-known Kentucky basketball teams of all-time, the 1958 national championship winning “Fiddlin’ Five.” Joe B. Hall shares some kind words about Crigler, who passed at the age of 76.

– The outpour of support from the world of college basketball for Rick Majerus in the wake of his passing yesterday has been incredible. Some have paid tribute to the beloved figure through shared stories, others have left behind kind words and sentiments to honor Majerus. Dana O’Neil of ESPN acknowledged that Majerus was a special kind of guy, one who always “did it his way, always.”

Mike DeCourcy of AOL Sporting News also paid tribute to Majerus in an article he says he would “have liked to write 15 years from now.” DeCourcy remembers Majerus fondly for his teaching ability, knowledge of the game and selflessness.

– Alabama marched their way to a familiar spot in the BCS national championship game, where a flexing Manti T’eo and his Notre Dame team anxiously await the monstrous challenge. Mark Richt was not pleased, and if you haven’t seen his awkward post-game press conference, it’s worth the find. Richt stole a page from Bill Self’s book, using the old “we just ran out of time” line.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

11 Comments for Stoop by for some Sunday Morning Links

1. old_school
    10:04 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Who took this unauthorized photograph of me at the volleyball game last night?

2. Ville Cat
    10:39 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Is the press conference going to be on TV in Louisville today?

3. Advent
    10:50 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Dear Old School, When you first arrived, I really enjoyed your respect of our nation and her soldiers. When you spoke of honoring them, I agreed with you, and confess I smiled at your “handle” and where you seemed to be coming from. But now, it seems like all your posts have grown cynical, and sarcastic. I’ve noticed people accuse and alledge that you are a troll and an IU or UL fan just here to sew discord. I hope that’s not true. I’m not sure I understand why people come here who are fans of other schools, except they are angry about something or someone, and this is an anonymous way to take out some aggression and disappointment. That has always seemed a cowardly way to go about addressing one’s emotions, but I know it happens. I’ve even done it myself before, and then was able to see what a waste of precious time and precious life it is to act that way. To that end, I will say to you I hope, given the type of person you seem to be, that in time your good upbringing and your sound morals will lead you to spend your time with all of us in a way that promotes honor and decency in the truest sense possible; that you might become a sort of leader, and an example of how to express dissatisfaction in a way that promotes growth and community. That’s what I know of “Old School” people. They know how to be critical in a way that inspires younger people and other people around them, to think, to reason, to use heart and logic to grow and to foster a community of excellence. God Bless You, Old School. Merry Christmas.

4. Walden Schmidt
    11:06 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Damn, Old School. how does that make you feel.

5. embarassed
    11:26 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

I would like to say as a reader of the site everyday and a loyal UK fan, I use those words very lighty right now with what I read on your site and the comments. A lot of the public perception of UK fans is we are spoliled and if things dont go our way we just throw in the towel, want a new coach, or just say well at least there is next year. Well after reading the site after the last 2 lossses yourr writers and our fans are at it again but this time everyone seems to thing that football jesus is flying into lesxington today. I am embarassed and ashmed that i read this website like I do and since we lost yesterday pretty much every entry has something to do with Stoops. HELLO UK FOOTBALL ISNT GOING TO WIN NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!! He needs time and are we going to give it to him? No. Your writers will be putting up entries on the basketball team after UK Football loses its first conference game. Its pathetic. This basketball team is so talented but as talented they are they are that inexperienced. Im sick of reading you guys talk about this season being over lets get ready for football and next year in basketball. HOW BOUT SOME LOYALTY?!?!? This team isnt last year and wasnt going to be last year. This team ddnt return 3 STARTERS!!!!! Give these guys a chance and for christ sake give Harrow a chance none of us know what it raelly feels like to be PG at UK for Calipari following Wall, Knight, Teague and a National Championship. I have faith in this team and will watch every game looking for improvement who cares if we lose 10 games, last time i checked Knights team lost every road game they played and went to final 4. This team is built for March not Nov, Dec or Jan and can we please remember this is a BASKETBALL SCHOOL always will be, glad we got Stoops coming to town but not only is this a basketball school ITS BASKETBALL SEASON!!!!! Enough Stoops entires until he starts signing recruiting until then we should be talking UK Basketball and thats it. In closing im extremely disappointed in this site and am actually leaning towards reading Tipton, as I did yesterday because he actually talks BBall right now.

6. barn
    11:33 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

i’m afraid the baylor loss was a season killer. it probably means we’ll drop out of the top 25. even if we hit stride and play like champs the rest of the year we won’t be able to move up enough in the rankings to get a high seed. we only have 3 quality opponents left to play in duhvill, fla. & mizzou. we’d probably have to win out to get back in the top 10.

7. SweatPants
    1:49 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Much nicer to hear a coach say something like ran out of time when
    asked about his teams short comings, sounds so much better than
    pooping in ice cream.

8. Bill Victor
    2:02 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

John Crigler was awesome. Sorry to hear he passed. He was at Scott County when I went there and he was a fine a man as I have ever met.

RIP, John Crigler.

9. KYStout
    2:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

John Crigler deserved his own post, not some blurb mixed in with other news of the day.

10. Bluehaz
    6:03 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I had a class with John at UK, he was a gentleman !!

11. Bluehaz
    6:07 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I don’t like the ice cream poop thing..not much class in that!!