In the midst of a week filled with bad news, I attempted to search for the most positive thing I could find that will be celebrated tomorrow. Even though Steve Spurrier puts a bad taste in many Kentucky fans’ mouths, his 68th birthday is much more positive than the anniversary of the Columbine massacre or Adolph Hitler’s birthday. Spurrier has had UK’s number at South Carolina and Florida, taking 18 tries for the Wildcat Football team to finally beat Spurrier when Joker and Co. beat the Cocks 31-28 in 2010 (His overall record is now 19-1). We may hate him, but there’s no doubt he’d be the coolest guy to have as your head coach. I can respect a man that isn’t hesitant to pull his starting QB for the betterment of the team. His golf visor swag has a Mumme-edque feel (see the picture above) except unlike Mumme he actually wins. He won the Heisman Trophy in 1966 for the Florida Gators, he won a National Championship with his alma mater in 1996, and even though his South Carolina team has had a ton of injuries to important players (Marcus Lattimore twice and now Jadeveon Clowney) they are still in contention for a National title this Fall. Hats off to you Mr. Spurrier, until October 5th rolls around. Now onto Friday’s news…
– 10,205 people filled in Freedom Hall in Louisville to watch the Black Squad defeat the White 124-113 in the Derby Festival Classic. Indiana signee Troy Williams was a co-MVP (along with McDonald’s All-American Keith Frazier) after scoring 21 points, mostly via a variety of dunks. Speaking of dunks, future Dirty Bird Anton Gill won the halftime dunk contest. While future U of L and IU players did exceptionally well (IU signees combined for 60 points), Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins failed to make an important impact combining for just 10 points. Even though he didn’t play his best game, Hawkins appreciated the support from the Big Blue, telling Steve Jones of the C-J, “The Kentucky fans always support you, and I loved it. They came to support me and Derek, and he is a special guy. He can dribble the ball for a big guy and shoot the ball.”
– ANDREW WIGGINS UPDATE: There is none. Quit worrying about a teenager and enjoy your Friday night.
– Mark Stoops may land another commitment in the 2014 this weekend. 4-Star Power-Running Back Mikel Horton is expected to make a Pro-UK announcement this weekend while attending the Regional Rivals Camp. The 6’1 228-pounder is a monster that runs with his shoulders low to to the ground. The Lakota West star not only has a powerful build, but he does other crazy-athletic things like jump over people.
– Florida State quarterback Clint Trickett is transferring and Kentucky is on his list of possible destinations. Surprisingly, UK Football is at a special place where they will not seek an FSU QB’s services, instead focusing their attentions on Drew Barker. You cannot blame them; QB is a very deep position for the Cats, and Barker is a very valuable prospect, earning himself a #141 ranking in the ESPN 150 today.
– How badass is Mark Stoops?
Operation Wildcat Storm starts Monday.. all of my coaches will be out in full force in KY and OH!Key areas for us.We recruit everyday!
— Mark Stoops (@UKCoachStoops) April 20, 2013
– Matt said “girth of your loins” in the first hour of Today’s show. You can check out the entire podcast ft. Purple Heart recipient Matt Bradford here.
– Nerlens Noel has been out and about visiting various places in Eastern Kentucky. After signing autographs at Hillbilly Days in Pikeville, Nerlens spoke to children at Whitesburg Elementary about the importance of hard work. This guy really enjoys helping in the community whenever he can.
– Nerlens is also one of the many Pros that will be attending this year’s John Calipari Fantasy Experience. Nerlens will join Archie Goodwin, Julius Mays, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins for this year’s camps from July 29th-August 1st. Don’t miss your chance to play for Coach Cal alongside Kentucky greats and our Fearless Leader Matt Jones. For more information and online registration, click here.
I’ll see you in the morning folks. @RoushKSR