Steve Spurrier Unloads on a Columnist in South Carolina

spurrier

Lots of coaches hate the media. Some coaches deal with that hate by not talking to them, publicly mocking them or simply comparing them to famous wrestlers (wait nevermind, those are things that we at KSR do). But regardless of how coaches feel about the media, they rarely do what Steve Spurrier did tonight. Tonight, Spurrier went on a 4 minute ramble about a local columnist and insinuated that “changes were coming” in the near future. In context, it seems as if Spurrier is saying that he has gotten with the South Carolina President and the local newspaper editor and the columnist in question (apparently someone named Ron Morris) could be out of a job. I am not sure what it all means, but the oddity of it is worth a listen.

UPDATE: Apparently Morris wrote this quote, which is what Spurrier is upset about:

“I think it’s a real test of the administration, because this is how things like Penn State happen. When the administration won’t step up and confront the football coach and he becomes all-powerful and when the football coach begins to dictate company policy, I think you’re asking for trouble.”

Remember my admonition…when all your argument has, is a comparison to Penn State, chances are you need to strengthen it. Comparing any sports issue to Penn State is like comparing a politician to Hitler…a poor crutch for the intellectually weak.

(h/t to 107.5 The Game)

Spurrier on a Local Columnist

Article written by Matt Jones

28 Comments for Steve Spurrier Unloads on a Columnist in South Carolina

1. Dr. Funke
    8:44 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Mike Leach for prez!!

2. Rixter
    8:47 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Why do tumors never find their way to guys like Spurrier?

3. bmwuk
    8:48 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Never been a fan of someone getting people fired. Maybe he deserves it or maybe Spurrier is being a bully. Never celebrate people losing their jobs, it is their livelihood.

4. Rixter
    8:49 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

But Morris’ point is spot on….

5. drdrich
    9:00 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Words can hurt.Running up the score,not so much

6. Mack
    9:01 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

You write “the intellectually weak”? He is a “sport columnist”.

7. AuburnElvis
    9:11 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

So, to prove he’s not “all-powerful,” Spurrier’s gonna get the guy fired?

8. barn
    9:15 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

thin skinned prick

9. Ron Jeremy
    9:17 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

I’ve unloaded on several people.

10. Bad link?
    9:19 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Maybe I’m missing something, but where are spurriers comments after you click on the link? The sound clips I see are 19 days old.

11. Visor
    9:28 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Do you know why Spurier wears a visor?

To hide the circumcision scar!

12. JVice
    9:30 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

10 – I know, right? What are we looking for here?

13. Patrick_Wren
    9:30 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

#9….Thank you! I needed a good chuckle…been one of them weeks.

14. cheese n crackers
    9:33 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Well it finally happened.. Spurriers head finally got so big it blew the top right out of that Gilligan hat. #toiletseathead

15. JVice
    10:02 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Need more info on this. There’s no context given nor even a correct link to anything. Also, with all due respect to Matt’s admonition, it sounds like the sports writer made a correct observation- irrespective of his intellect.

16. UKCRAZY
    10:33 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

I ordered my copy of the DVD!!! ORDER YOURS TODAY AND RELIVE THE 1996 Championship SEASON http://www.amazon.com/The-Untouchables-Kentucky-Wildcats-Greatest/dp/B003ZUJEYA

17. Adam
    10:41 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

What are we supposed to be listening too? All of the audio is old. You’ve already updated the post once, why don’t you fix the link…..”intellectually weak” motherfooooooooooper!

Also, you suck at basketball, and the whole world knows it ——> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKPBy7mPM0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, stop lying about when you were drafted at the Fantasy Camp. According to CoachCal.com, which has writeups of all the festivities, you were picked dead last.

In my opinion, your opinions are for entertainment purposes only. You have the skills and basketball IQ of a 6 year old,

18. Dang it Bobby
    10:50 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

17. Why are you taking the time to comment then? Go away.

19. Fake Adam
    11:21 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m an idiot. I’m jealous of Matt Jones.

20. Billy G
    11:55 pm September 27, 2012 Permalink

Here, here, #17 and #18….if you don’t cut out the horse play I’ll make the two of you run until you have shin splint….then run some more with shin splints.
    I’m a tough coach !

21. Linda Taylor
    12:07 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

17 – Do you know why Matt was picked last? Because Coach Robic arranged for him to be picked last as a JOKE so he could make fun of him and tease him. That tells you what a good relationship Matt has with the coaches. They are comfortable enough with him to give him a hard time. By the way, the word too means also. You should use the word to in your first sentence. If you are going to criticize Matt for his basketball skills then maybe you should avoid writing on websites as your writing skills are weak. Turnabout is fair play.

22. Dave Ball
    12:21 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

glad to see Gilligan got off of that island

23. The Real Adam
    12:48 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

21 – Ummmmmm….Coach Robic arranged it? If that’s what you want to believe, go right ahead. Whether it was arranged or not, it was fitting. You should know that too (thanks for the grammar lesson).

19 – I am jealous of Matt Jones. It’s sad and unfortunate that such an amazing experience was wasted on someone who can’t even dribble a basketball. However, I am not idiot.

18 – If you just randomly decided to call yourself “Dang It Bobby”, you have no idea how much that made me laugh. God bless you.

20 – Nice. I bet the reason Matt hates Billy so much is because he missed 75% of his layups during the “if you miss you have to run the stairs” drills.

I just find it funny that Matt is telling us about what our basketball team needs and he CANNOT even play basketball. I don’t care if he has book smarts or not, his basketball IQ is negative 7.

24. The Real Adam
    1:09 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

I’ll be honest, I do have hard feelings towards Matt Jones.  Several months ago I started a website called NBACats.com and eventually that led me to auditioning for the KSTV casting call.  I have never spoken in front of a camera and I was admittedly nervous.   I received 2 yes’s and 1 no, advanced, and was even featured on the television show, but all of them took the time to make fun of me for being nervous.

Why shouldn’t I be allowed to make fun of him when he is out of his element?  Kentucky fans have been kissing this little pricks ass for far to long and I’m done kissing his ass.

And Linda Taylor, my words and sentences have been read over 150,000 times, so don’t talk to me about writing skills.   It’s called a typo.

25. It could be...
    3:02 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

that terrible writing was read over 150,000 times. (just sayin’)

26. Bowel Movement
    6:28 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

Heard Matt prefers hotdogs over tacos. I can see that. Anyone who parts their hair down the middle does appear to be a bit of a fancy boy.

27. Michael
    10:01 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

The irony is if they fire the writer his words will really ring true.

28. Adam
    12:33 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

25 – I don’t think people read horrible writing that many times. If you want to find out, start you up a website and see how many views you can get…good luck