Steve Kerr makes the case for a 20-year old NBA age limit

Steve Kerr’s professional resume includes five NBA titles, one NBA Three-Point Shootout championship, a game-winning shot over the Utah Jazz and, unbeknownst to me, a spot as a columnist on Grantland.com. Kerr’s most recent literary work for Bill Simmons’ website is a case for why the NBA should stretch its age limit to 20 years. Kerr says it’s not just personal experience — it’s common sense.

Marketing is one of Kerr’s six reasons for the 20-year limit:

4. Marketing

In the old days, college basketball was the NBA’s single best marketing tool. Nearly all of the league’s future stars were well known by the time they were drafted. I’ll never forget watching the lottery in 1985, when the Knicks won the right to select Patrick Ewing with the first pick. NBA fans had followed Ewing for four years as he dominated college basketball at Georgetown; by 1985, they couldn’t wait to see him on a bigger stage. They knew that whichever team landed Ewing would contend for the next decade, at least. This was a common occurrence back then: college stars like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Hakeem Olajuwon, or David Robinson entering the league to great fanfare and anticipation, poised to change the fortunes of franchises immediately.

How often does that happen today? Even if Washington fans were excited to draft John Wall two years ago, and Cleveland fans were ecstatic about picking Kyrie Irving last year, none of them were actually thinking, We’re back! Look out, playoffs!

Read his entire case over at Grantland.com.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Steve Kerr makes the case for a 20-year old NBA age limit

1. Fat Ryan Lemond
    2:10 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Agree with this. solid logic.

2. 44 Stitches
    2:14 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

What do Jud Buechler or Luc Longley think about the age limit?

3. Toni Kukoc
    2:16 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

spot on.

4. REAL BLY
    2:19 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

I have an idea….let’s create 10000000000000000000000000000000 laws, regulations, rules, control measures, requirements that control EVERY aspect of every second of every persons life!!!

You can go fight for your country at 18, work for money flipping burgers at McDonalds…..but you can’t play in the NBA!!!

AMERIKA!!!

5. Hunter
    2:22 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Pretty good logic.. although lebron james pretty much destroys his idea.

6. Joel pett
    2:24 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Mmmm I’m Joel pett n I like to abuse goats n donkeys
    Oh yeah

7. Azubuike's Bicep
    2:32 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

4- Shut up and go to a different website.

8. BPsycho
    2:36 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

The Lexington Herald Leader is an awful publication that no fan should tolerate if they support our sports teams of Kentucky. Hack beat writers with vendettas, and editors that haven’t a clue. There are actually people that believe Jerry Tipton is one of the top sports reporters in the country…. Honestly…

I feel sorry for the trees that are wasted on this paper, and I’m ashamed they own the domain Kentucky.com.

9. UKBlue
    2:37 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

The numbers should be 2 & 20; 2 years college & 20 years old. Everyone suffers not making the limit 2 & 20: college basketball quality suffers, the coaches suffer from having to constantly recruit, the fans suffer from losing great players too soon, the NBA suffers because the quality of their product sucks, the owners are having to risk a lot of money on an unknown commodity, and it just makes good business sense.

10. Marcus L. Owens
    2:44 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Why is everyone trying to rewind time? That times is done “the 25 year old model” is done UK is blowing it up. Lets not forget the NBAPA is made of PLAYERS, they didnt want to spend one year in college let alone 2 or 3, they want to get paid and the faster the better. One year is perfect; NCAA gets to pimp the kids for a year and the kid gets a full year of college with a choice to return or go pro. Harrison Barnes is the perfect example of what could go wrong if they change it to a two year rule. Player comes in as number player out of HS, is predicted to be #1 over all pick or top 3, instead of going pro he comes back to school for second year, team mates get injured, said player shows weaknesses in his game, stock drops, player looses money. Coach still got paid, university still got paid while kid loses. One and done is perfect; Anthony Davis is already a star, John Wall went in a star, Melo went in a star, Kevin Durant, Derek Rose too! Keep one and done!

11. REAL BLY
    2:46 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

7. I can tell you put a lot of thought into that…….anyway…..I can see my point flew 10 miles over your head. BUT…we are both BBN, we just agree to disagree….

12. Boycottlhl
    2:54 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

MATT START A BOYCOTT OF LEXINGTON HERALD LEADER. KSR/KSTV ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

13. #7's moms panties
    2:55 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

#11 That’s #7’s response to anything he doesn’t agree with. Typical punk college kid with no future.

14. UK fans have no humor
    3:03 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Wow, the Big Blue Taliban in action. A CARTOON has everyone’s panties in a wad?

15. kentuckyjoe
    3:04 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Here is the rule I favor. Please remember where you heard it first. “Players should be allowed to go to the NBA whenever they feel like it and believe their skills justify it. If, at a future time, they want to leave the NBA or never make it in the first place, there should be a mechanism(s) that would allow them to regain amateur status and college eligibility.” That’s it.

16. REAL BLY
    3:08 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

13) Figured as much…..article just struck me wrong….I hate rules holding people back…..If I am 18 and can compete in NBA to make money….last thing I want is Steve Kerr telling me I can’t do it!!!!!!…I call that freedom!

17. Azubuike's Bicep
    3:08 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

11 & 13- The fact that I’m addressing this to both of you is probably arbitrary due to the fact that you are more than likely the same person. However, politics do not belong on this site. Whether it is in jest or not. Additionally, if you want to question my intelligence because you thought your post was funnier than I did, then that is on you. But do not try to generalize the type of person that I am. #13 calls me a punk college kid with no future, however he decides to make his profile name “#7’s moms panties.” First of all, there should be an apostrophe in the word “moms” AND your name should be capitalized. Now, I’m usually not one to correct grammar. However, you did questions my intelligence, so I thought I would point out the hilarity in that…So…Did I put enough thought in to that?

Again…Shut up, and go to a different website.

18. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    3:19 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Funny how his reasons all benefit the league and teams.

If GM’s were better at their jobs or at least had the restraint to pass on the high risk players, this wouldn’t be an issue.

One thing he doesn’t address – stealing two productive years from the few players who are ready to contribute immediately (like Shabazz, Davis, Kyrie, etc.). Their careers are already short enough.

Greg Oden’s career is likely over, but he is a millionaire. With this rule, he would have 2 years of college and nothing to show for it but a messed up knee.

To say this rule is about the players is laughable. You are telling me you created a system that makes a mockery of colleges sports and creates a situation that breeds violations and academic fraud in order to keep a handful of players each year from making a mistake? Please. It keeps GM’s from screwing up and saves the NBA money. Don’t let people like Steve Kerr and Mark Cuban fool you, it is not about the players who you are relegating to a de facto free farm league. It is about getting something (a more finished product and a year to evaluate talent) for nothing.

19. REAL BLY
    3:20 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

17) This will be my last transmission to you, opinions are part of life, get used to it. You waste your time / effort trying to get me rattled, my 9 year old knows it’s rude to say ” shut up “, so I won’t stoop to that, but blurting it out like a little kid won’t help you in any way and draws questions about your problem solving skills.

Agreeing to disagree is a basic concept of life, I don’t question your intelligence, I question your temper. By the way, everything is political….Think about that!!!

Lets move on shall we….

20. 00BBN00
    3:21 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Steve Kerr annoys me to no end. He’s an elitist know-it-all. I can’t stand reading or listening to anything this guy has to say. It sincerely bothers me that he works on any college basketball games. He needs to realize that things change. Why would anyone want to stop that?

21. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    3:29 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

You, 18 year old legal adult, are not mature enough to play a game. You can vote, get married, work a million other more dangerous jobs, go to war and get your head blown off, but you are just not mature enough to deal with receiving financial compensation for your considerable talents.

But you will be in 2 years, once the NCAA and big schools have made a few million off of you and we have seen enough to make sure you are “worth it.”

The NBA and NCAA are in bed together on this one. Everyone benefits significantly financially except the players.

And the NBA players union, no matter what they say, doesn’t care. They created a stance opposite the owners and then used it as a bargaining chip. They could concede on this issue and lose absolutely nothing (they are already getting paid) and win on another issue.

22. ACKWELL FOLEY
    3:30 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

BOYCOTT THE HERALD-LEADER!!!!! IT SUCKS ANYWAYS

23. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    3:38 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Kerr, a player who admittedly was not good enough to jump early and an NBA GM, is biased.

To say the rule is better for players is borderline racist anyway. You are basically implying that elite high school basketball players, a large percentage of whom are black, are not responsible enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, or don’t have enough guidance from their parents and family to make the right decision or deal with becoming an instant millionaire.

We are talking about a very small number of players who this is an option for anyway. Sorry for getting long-winded, it is just that the true intention of this rule seems so glaringly opportunistic.

24. Azibuke's bicep must be a writer or editor for this site
    3:44 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Communism at its finest! What a joke

25. Drew Franklin's Tongue
    4:07 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you’re still retarded.

26. The Old Guy in the Lower Arena
    4:09 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

#18 – Maybe if Greg Oden had stayed in college and not been subjected to the wear and tear of training camp, preseason, regular schedule and playoffs, his knee wouldn’t have blown out.

The NBA will eventually raise the age because the product suffers and, at some point, they’ll not want to spend their resources to teach 19 year olds how to play basketball.

UK basketball makes money regardless of who is here, so that argument isn’t valid. Can you monetize the worth of Anthony Davis to UK?

If ratings fall and attendance (which is already pretty iffy) fall, the first place the teams will cut is on the young guys. John Wall might be great, but does he sell tickets in DC? Have they won more because of him? Will Anthony Davis make Charlotte a 15 win team?

No one has the right to play in the NBA. They should raise the limit to make the product better. If someone wants to go the Brandon Jennings route and play in Italy rather than college, so be it.

27. REAL BLY
    4:41 pm May 8, 2012 Permalink

No one has the right to play in the NBA???? You lost me on that one…..