Meet Steve Delabar. In March, he was a substitute teacher in E-town, playing in a softball league and two years removed from Tommy John surgery. He had a baseball resume that never extended above Class-A ball. Fast forward to two days ago and Steve Delabar was the winning pitcher for the Seattle Mariners. Delabar noticed earlier in the spring that his fastball had inexplicably increased in velocity to 96 mph after not playing and having surgery and got signed on to Seattle’s Class-A squad. He quickly rose through the system and here he is, getting his own News and Views. Well done, Steve Delabar.
A recap of a few news stories you missed while you were hating….
– The big news out of the football complex was the report that Raymond Sanders had surgery today on his right knee and is expected to be out for 2-3 weeks. Sanders, who previously had some issues with his left knee, has some cartiledge tears and will be unavailable, moving Josh Clemons into a starting role. Clemons has more carries and yards than Sanders, but the two-headed attack has worked well for the Cats in their first two games late in the second half when they started wearing down the opponent and putting up points. Clemons showed the staff what he can do against Central Michigan with 126 yards, but the Cats need either Jonathon George of Coshik Williams to provide another option on the ground.
– Coach Cal spent the day kicking it in Clarksville, Tennessee celebrating the hometown of legendary hack-a-Rodman expert Bubba Wells and visiting with five-star power forward Alex Poythress. Poythress took an official visit to Vanderbilt last week and will host representatives from that school, along with Memphis and Tennessee over the course of the next week or so.
– Later in the evening, Calipari was scheduled to pop down to Arkansas and hang out with five-star shooting guard Archie Goodwin, who had another change of heart in regard to his school selection timetable. Goodwin told Matt at the Peach Jam that he was waiting until the spring to pick his school and then said on Twitter yesterday that he’ll make it in a week or two. That announcement came on the heels of a visit with Kansas and a report that Kentucky wanted Shabazz Muhammad to play the “two” spot. However, Goodwin changed his mind again – possibly after talking to Cal and getting some reassuring words – and will stick to his plans to commit in the spring, leaving all options still on the table.
– Just one day after he said he wasn’t sure if he would have time to visit Kentucky, CBS reported that Mitch McGary’s parents are leaning toward Duke and his AAU coach is leaning toward Michigan. Fortunately for UK, none of them are ranked in Evan Daniels’ latest top-100 on Scout.com.
– When Kentucky plays St. John’s this season, Steve Lavin’s team will be right in the middle of trying to sort through a complete roster overhaul that included a 10-man recruiting class. Good news for him, though, as three St. John’s freshmen are now ineligible, meaning he won’t have to worry about working with all those new faces. Amir Garrett, Norvell Pelle and Jakaar Sampson all are expected to be back by the second semester, but that’s not going to do them any good in terms of the UK game. Take your beating, Stevie.
– Jared Sullinger is no longer fat and doesn’t have the basketball imprint from Josh Harrellson’s throw anymore. However, he’s taking photos in a bathroom mirror so he might as well be fat and still embarrassed.
If you missed any of the Louisville Hate Day posts, here they are for your simple clicking:
A Sarcastic Approach To Hating Louisville – Bryan The Intern
Know Your Enemy: Louisville Tailgaters – Tyler Thompson
YEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!! – Reader Submitted
Excerpts From A Louisville Dorm Resident Assistant’s Weekly Newsletter – Tomlin
Download Dirty Birds For The iPhone – Drew Franklin
In Two Days… – Turkey Hunter
UK vs. Louisville Bingo – Tyler Thompson
The Strangest Video Ever Made – Josh Harrellson
If Louisville Had A Facebook News Feed (Part 2) – Drew Franklin
Caption This! – Drew Franklin
Mary Jo Shares Her Feelings On Louisville – Mary Jo Perino
Hitler Reacts To Louisville’s Fifth Straight Loss To UK – Matthew Hays
I Cant’ Go Along With Louisville Hate Day – Oscar Combs
BREAKING: Cardinal Bird Goes Missing – Chris Thomas
Why I Hate To Hate Louisville – Will Lentz
Louisville Hate Day Put Into Words – Matt Jones
Why The Long Face, Louisville? – Thomas Beisner
That’s it for now. Make sure you stick around all day as we get things back to our normal level of hate. Matt will be by with Kentucky Sports Radio at 10am. In the meantime, enjoy the artistry of a young Dave Ulinksi…
See you in a few…