Steve Buscemi’s Tuesday News and Views

In this week’s Tuesday edition of the News and Views, we celebrate the 58th birthday of Brooklyn-born actor Steve Buscemi. Until the hit HBO show Boardwalk Empire, Buscemi was just that guy with the funny looking eyes from Fargo and Armageddon. There is even a website where someone photoshops his eyes on famous female celebrities. It’s very entertaining. But now he’s Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, the treasurer of Atlantic City and the undisputed political boss of Atlantic County, who **Season Two Spoiler Alert, seriously, quit reading ** just put two bullets into the skull of his own man Jimmy Darmody in the season two finale. It was one of the best gangster scenes from any show or movie.

While many know him for his role as Nucky Thompson or the creepy guy with lipstick in Billy Madison, not many people know about his loyalty and support of New York City firefighters. Buscemi was an NYC firefighter himself from 1980 to 1984 with Engine Company #55 in Little Italy before pursuing an acting career. He showed up to his old firehouse the day after the September 11th tragedy in 2001 to volunteer, working twelve hours a day for a week, digging through the disaster searching for missing firefighters. He was arrested in 2003 along with eleven others while protesting the closing of his old firehouse. For a successful Hollywood actor to volunteer after the attacks and protest the firehouse closing says a lot about Buscemi’s character. You have our respect, sir. That’s why these News and Views are for you. Happy Birthday, Mr. Buscemi. Or should we call you Nucky? Don’t shoot us.

— Monday was the day we learned the fate of Kentucky in the new college basketball polls. In this week’s rankings, Kentucky dropped to No. 3 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls. Syracuse claimed the top spot in the two polls, followed by Ohio State and then UK, Louisville, and Duke. 4 of the 65 AP voters put Kentucky first on their ballot. Thanks, Rick Bozich!

— Thanks to its first regular season win over a ranked opponent in 14 years, the Murray State Racers snuck into the top 25 at No. 24 in the AP. It marks the first time the Racers have been ranked since the end of the 1998 season when they entered the tournament at No. 25 under Mark Gottfried. Murray State’s 10-0 start is the best start for the program since the 1950-51 team and 1936-37 team each started 12-0. Go Racers.

Louisville is lucky to be No. 4. Shut up and enjoy your spot, Card fans. You’re not better than UNC, Duke, or Baylor.

— We’re learning a little bit about the future of SEC basketball this season as Missouri and Texas A&M both cracked the top 25. Missouri is ranked No. 8/10 and Texas A&M is No. 22 in both polls. If you go ahead and count them as SEC schools, that would be seven ranked teams and the most from any conference. The SEC could be the premier league in both football and basketball next season.

— Enough with analyzing the new rankings, we have an arena to worry about. University of Kentucky President Eil Capilouto released a joint statement with Mitch Barnhart and John Calipari saying he does not support state funding for renovating or building a new Rupp Arena. Capilouto is focused on improving on-campus facilities like classroom buildings and dorms to enhance undergraduate education. He said he will continue to participate in discussions for a new arena but he believes that the new facility should be funded privately, not with state money. The University Senate voted unanimously in support of Capilouto’s joint statement with Calipari and Barnhart on Monday.

— It’s hard to imagine Mitch Barnhart and John Calipari signing off with Dr. Capilouto without a plan in place to keep the Rupp Arena project moving. I don’t know where the funding will come from but Barnhart and Cal aren’t moving forward without a new arena or a renovation. Lexington Mayor Jim Gray certainly feels that way and he issued a statement Monday evening saying the city will continue to pursue a new Arena, Arts and Entertainment District with Rupp Arena as its centerpiece. The city just has to find the money to do it and it won’t come from the state without Capilouto’s approval. I don’t know about you but following the entire Rupp Arena project makes my head hurt. Just get it done.

— While we’re on the subject of Rupp Arena, how ’bout this week’s ‘Interesting Rupp Arena Fact’, brought to you by Boone’s Butcher Shop. You ready?… One-sixth of Kentucky’s total losses in Rupp Arena came during the Billy Gillispie era. Kentucky has lost 60 games in Rupp and ten of those were in the two years under Billy Gillispie. He lost those ten in just 26 games. It took 35 years for Kentucky to lose the other 50. That’s pathetic. (Hat tip to WYVQ’s Alex Risen for digging that up)

— Let me give you a scenario: You and your buddy just won two free tickets in the front row at CenturyLink Field for Monday Night Football. What do you wear???

If you said a neon green suit and a Randall Cobb jersey, then you’re not alone. #BBN really is everywhere.

— 2013 five-star recruit Chris Thomas announced his top five schools and Kentucky is in the mix, along with Xavier, Florida, Missouri, and Iowa State. Thomas is the No. 2 shooting guard in the class behind Aaron Harrison and he’s the tenth-ranked prospect overall. He is not the KSR blogger that does the Game Faces and NFL recap posts. That would be cool, though.

— I started watching Homeland tonight on Showtime and I’m pretty impressed after the first three episodes. Has anyone else seen it? I need to know if I should finish the season because TV time is very valuable in the life of a KSR blogger. 22 hours of my day are spent gathering news, misspelling words, and photoshopping Alan Cutler’s face on supermodels so I don’t want to waste my free time if the show isn’t worth watching. Your Homeland opinion matters to me.

That’s all for tonight. I’m going to rush off to catch the tail-end of the Perrin Johnson Birthday Bash in Louisville.

See you in the morning for the debut of KSR U’s second contributor in the 9:00 a.m. time slot.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for Steve Buscemi’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Go Cayuts
    11:15 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is awesome. Watch it

2. Winston Churchill
    11:20 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

“…One-sixth of Kentucky’s total losses in Rupp Arena came during the Billy Gillispie era. Kentucky has lost 60 games in Rupp and ten of those were in the two years under Billy Gillispie. He lost those ten in just 26 games. It took 35 years for Kentucky to lose the other 50.”

Billy Gillispie- The worst coach we have had at UK in the past 80 or so years. Unbelievable. Why anyone sticks up for him, I will never, ever understand.

3. Yancy Gates' right fist
    11:27 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

HOMELAND IS THE SHIT, JUST WAIT FOR THE SURPRISES IN THE NEXT FEW EPISODES

4. Harris
    11:36 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is a must watch. It is one of the best new shows out there and I can’t remember a time I have been more excited for a season finale.

5. old_school
    11:37 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Billy Gillispie was indeed a joke. Agreed.

As for Rupp Arena – it’s one of the greatest atmospheres in college basketball.

I’ve been to the YUM center for a Louisville game. It’s pretty. But it’s distracting. Lots of lights, bells and whistles – it’s as if the designers intentionally tried to create an environment that will take your mind off what’s happening on the court.

At Kentucky – all eyes should always be on the court. That’s what Kentucky basketball has always been about.

The talk about the need for new sound ssytems, new lights, fancy suites is nothing more than catering to this quasi-NBA personality that UK has suddenly and unfortunately has adopted with Calipari.

Forget that garbage. Kentucky is to college basketball what the Yankees are to baseball. Just as the Yankees would never get rid of their Pin Stripes – KENTUCKY must guard it’s precious legacy and traditions and avoid the temptation to jump on the Ringling Brothers Circus Act just because Coach Cal thinks we need to be hip.

Keep Rupp and add one game a year at Memorial Coliseum – make it for students only.

The only good thing to happen during Billy G.’s tenure was the NIT game at Memorial. My son and I went to that game and it was FANTASTIC.

The old building houses more history than any other basketball facility in America, and Perry Stevenson’s dunk over UNLV created a roar that would rival anything at Rupp.

Bottom line – we don’t need fancy lights or sounds to make our home games special. Just good fans who enjoy good basketball.

IU had a great atmosphere and there’s nothing special about Assembly Hall. Rupp’s atmosphere against UNC was just as good.

As a taxpayer – let’s exercise some fiscal responsibility.

6. Shawon
    11:39 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Happy Birthday 2 Perrin Johnson. One of my all-time favorite Cards along with Alvin Sims, Brian Kiser, Wes Unseld and of course Kenny Payne. 😉

7. GoRacers
    11:42 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Who has played the tougher schedule so far…UL or Murray State? Enjoy that #4 ranking L’ville.

8. cary'shot,hot,hot
    11:47 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is the shizzle.
    A must watch.
    Catch up quick, the ninety minute season finale is this Sunday.

9. Han
    11:51 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Frankly, Homeland is a decent drama. It’s a little faster than Boardwalk, but not terribly so.

Damien Lewis is good in everything he does, though.

10. Han
    11:52 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Also, haven’t watched Boardwalk yet. Why did I read that spoiler? Never would have seen that coming.

11. ThoughtYaKnew
    11:57 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is the s***! It will captivate you every week!

12. darryl isaac
    11:58 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Watching dexter lead me to homeland and it is great!! lots of good twists and turns. very good show

13. ATLCat
    11:59 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is awesome, watch it. Great cast

14. Boone
    12:15 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Another vote for Homeland. Keep watching. Some shows get worse with time. This one doesn’t.

15. blueblue
    12:17 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

UK Hoops is now #8 since KSR has neglected to mention this!!

16. Owen
    12:19 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Dude. Not cool. I know you wrote “spoiler alert” but seriously, that’s not cool.

17. blueblue
    12:28 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

?

18. iWantToBeTheDrewFrankling
    12:42 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I HADN’T WATCHED THE SEASON FINALE YET!!! DAMN YOU!!~!!!!!!

19. HilltopCat
    12:43 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

That was the worst usage of “spoiler alert” I have ever seen. You reminded me of that annoying person everyone knows and hates who ALWAYS says what’s going to happen next in a movie/television show whenever they’re watching it with someone who hasn’t seen it before. To get back at you, I’m going to tell you a spoiler for a something I know you are a fan of and haven’t gotten to see yet: In Part 2 of Breaking Dawn, Edward and Jacob admit their love for one another and Bella takes up the role as best (wo)man, ring bearer, and flower girl during their wedding while also acting as the stripper for their joint bachelor party. Needless to say, things get pretty crazy!

Go cats!

20. Rex chapman
    1:09 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Anyone else witnessing my drunk twitter rage right now? Wow

21. JeffC
    1:18 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is the best thing on TV. Stay with it….it gets better and better! Clare Danes will easily win an Emmy and Damien Lewis will be in the running.

22. Ky_Wildcat4
    1:22 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Watch Homeland, you will not be disappointed!

23. Spencer D
    1:24 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Born in Ashland, KY. Folks from KY. Grandparents from KY. Lifelong Cats Fan. Live in Seattle. Love the Seahawks. I was at that MNF Game. GO Hawks. More importantly, Go Big Blue! #AnthonyDavisSaysShutUp

24. fartslikepotatochips
    2:37 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I dated a girl with Buscemeyes once. I used to look into those eyes and melt. My favorite was when we made love and they would roll back in her head with pure ecstasy. I wouldn’t allow her to close her eyes during. They were so bulgy and moist. Often, after a spaghetti dinner and Franzia, they would throb with delight as I buttered bread and blew warm garlic breath over them. Good times.

25. That guy
    4:44 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Why did i keep reading when he told me to stop? U live and you learn, cant wait to watch season 2

26. BFrey
    6:24 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

You completely misread the UK statement and what you have stated is false. What they said is that the Rupp renovation is not UK’s priority and UK will not be lobbying for money in Frankfort or using their bonding capacity for it, which makes sense, you know, b/c UK doesn’t own it.

At no point did Capiluto say this should be privately funded, b/c well, he’s not the Mayor and it’s not his decision.

What this does mean, and what you’ve failed to point out is that by not bonding Rupp, and saying that they plan to make “targeted investments in athletics facilities” means there is bonding capacity for improvements to Commonwealth Stadium…a facility the University owns. Not saying it will happen, but it’s a possibility.

Might want to reread the statement.

27. RidgeRunner
    6:31 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Drew I second this motion…

“I don’t know about you but following the entire Rupp Arena project makes my head hurt. Just get it done.”

Nice job Murray St. indeed!

24…SNH will schedule you for an initial consultation appt soon to discuss things further.

28. SexnNursinHomes
    6:53 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Buscemi is 58 yrs old huh? more like 258.

24- did she have Buscemi’s balls too?

29. taylor
    7:13 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I rarely recommend anything on TV, but Homeland is tremendous.

30. GoCats2
    7:20 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Steve Buscemi will always be Mr. Pink. No matter how many other roles he may play, he is Mr. Pink.

31. bukowski's beer
    7:38 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Mr. Buscemi also directed the award winning episode of the Sopranos “The Pine Bluffs”. I think.

32. Kchill
    7:39 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is the best show on TV, period

33. bukowski's beer
    7:49 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Mr. Buscemi also directed the award winning episode of The Sopranos “Pine Barrens”. My favorite of the lot.

34. bigbluedude
    8:05 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

chalky white is the best character on tv

35. Han
    8:06 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

32) Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and a number of other shows strongly disagree with you and your predictable plot devices.

36. G
    8:19 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Another +1 for Homeland. Seems to be unanimous

37. GoCats2
    8:39 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I have never heard of Homeland but if its not ESPN, Nikelodeon or Disney, chances are I am not going to see it.

38. will
    9:04 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

So they can get funding from the state to renovate Rupp or build a new Rupp but can’t get funding from the state to update football facilities… #Ismellarat.

39. DamnitDrew
    9:10 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I just scanned the article and read the ending of season two Boarwalk Empire on accident! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!. #1 Homeland is Great! AND OF COURSE I LOVE DEXTER!!!!!!!!

Oh I’m so bumbed now. Well, I hope I can still watch BWE and try not to think about the ending. My mother did the same thing with Dexter season 4 with Jon Lithgow. I was very upset with her, because thus far, it’s the best season.

40. BPM
    9:18 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

List of movies in which Buscemi makes an appearance: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Miller’s Crossing, King of New York, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Things to do in Denver When you are Dead, Billy Madison, The Hudsucker Proxy – not to mention movies like Armageddon and the Wedding Singer. Impressive list of 90’s movies. Buscemi makes an appearance in just about all the early Cohen Brothers’ movies and they find an unusual way to kill him off in just about every one. Solid TV work with Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire too. For me though, he will always be either Donny or Mr. Pink. Classic roles.

Homeland is good TV. It gets better as the season progresses too. Very much a mix of 24 and the Manchurian Candidate. Grantland does a good write-up on it each week.

41. Champ
    9:25 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

#15 ITs the Drew Franklin News&Views what do you expect

42. Sheeeeeiiit
    9:46 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Old school – Shut Up. No one wants to hear you yap about how Cal did this and that. The talk about upgrades to the sound systems, lights and suites are not about Cal and the NBA. It’s about having the best facility for the best team. Cal is trying to improve the UK brand and having the Chix Barn up the street is competition for us to keep up with the times. Cal is answering the bell. I know you feel the need to take every possible opportunity to bash Cal. But It’s old and obvious.

Drew – Homeland is very good. It’s no Breaking Bad but it’s damn good. Claire Danes will win some kind of award. She is convincing, effed up and she makes the show. The jury is still out, IMO on whether they lower this show to just another Hollywood jab at our FBI, CIA and military. If it goes that way it will be a big disappointment but so far so good.

43. blade
    10:01 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I believe that should be Chris Walker.

44. UKGirl
    10:06 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show on tv right now. This past season was unbelievable. Tim Van Patten directed one heck of a season finale.

45. TheNewOriginal
    10:30 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

STFU Donnie!

46. BozoIsNotAFriend
    10:48 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Anyone else think Bozich voted for UK just to keep UofL from leap frogging into a higher ranking and potentially into the role of favorites for the visit to Rupp?

47. JackBluto
    11:21 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

I confirm the high marks for Homeland. 50 minutes of TV time well spent.

48. Millie
    11:59 am December 13, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is the BEST show! Keep watching. This show only gets better with every episode. I can’t wait for the season finale.

49. G$
    12:05 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Homeland’s first season is a solid A. Boardwalk Empire’s second season was a B+ due to the A+ finale. Dexter has been a D..time to wrap up the series with Dex being outed. Looking forward to the 2nd season of Shameless.

#34, Chalky White has a lot of potential…hoping he gets more play next season. But as of now, Chalky White <<<<<<<<< Omar.

50. ColoradoCat
    5:34 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Homeland is a great show! I recommend it highly.

51. Clayton
    7:01 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Wow, those pictures were terrifying. I might have nightmares now.