Statistical comparison of Kentucky and Samford

It’s time for the annual cupcake game in the Commonwealth. This year the Samford Bulldogs from the mighty Southern Conference of the FCS come to town to battle the Cats. The Bulldogs boast a 7-3 record on the season, having beaten the likes of Furman, Gardner-Webb, Western Carolina, and most recently Wofford and Elon. Losses come to Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Chattanooga, all of which have winning records in conference. Their regular season finale against Kentucky will be their one and only game against a Division I opponent.

Because Samford has played zero opponents outside of Division II, it is difficult to draw too many comparisons between the Bulldogs and the Cats. But if you want to think about it like this: Samford is ranked just outside the Top 25 in the FCS poll, receiving 33 votes — good for No. 27. Kentucky is ranked No. 97 in the complete FBS poll. So assuming you tack on the No. 1 FCS team to the bottom of the FBS poll, there are a little over 50 teams that separate Kentucky from Samford. It’s not perfect science, but it is something to think about.

Kentucky’s offense has completely bottomed out as one of the worst in college football. Both the running and passing games rank in the 100’s nationally. Southern Mississippi hasn’t won a game yet, but they still rack up 160 yards on the ground per game. Kansas is one of the lowest-ranked teams from a major conference, and they can rush for 213 per game. Even New Mexico State, ranked dead-last in Division I at No. 124, has a respectable passing game with 245 yards per.

Fans shouldn’t expect a loss to Samford, especially considering all the outside factors that surround Joker Phillips and the team. However, Samford is not a bad team just because it plays in the FCS. Last season against Auburn they put up 338 yards of offense in a 19-point loss. All things considered, one would hope all of that SEC talent that has been brought into the program is enough in itself to overwhelm the Bulldogs.

The biggest question surrounding the buildup to the game is what kind of reaction the team will get on Senior Night, and how Joker Phillips will be treated by the Commonwealth crowd. Attendance, as most well know, has been downright pitiful as the season has regressed into nothing. But now that fans have been rewarded with a coaching search, it seems a large number of those once calling for Joker’s head feel for the man who has dedicated 22 years to the Kentucky football program. The #PackCommonwealth movement began on Twitter, and is trying hard to spread around the Big Blue Nation. We will wait to see what kind of impact is had on Saturday.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

23 Comments for Statistical comparison of Kentucky and Samford

1. Bobby Petrino's Dad
    2:49 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

No more posts about football till UK hires my son

2. confused
    3:00 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Not a cupcake game. Sagarin’s ratings have UK about 6 1/2 point favorites. Genuinely hope they win one for Joker and the program. A 1-win season would be devastating.

3. UKMike
    3:00 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

please. just. stop.

4. Blue Healer
    3:03 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Wow I forgot we had football games left.

5. I say
    3:03 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Statistical comparison of…..💤💤💤💤😴

6. JG
    3:04 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand this movement to celebrate a failed coach??? I know he played at UK… He was honored for that on his senior night… It is the senior’s night, not the fired coaches night… Makes no sense to me

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:04 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Newsflash: Teams with 1-9 records do not have cupcake games.

8. Matt Barnhart
    3:06 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

#1 Bobby is a cheater and will ruin our awesome program that has been built on 50 years of greatness and championships. My sources (Mike Pratt) tell me BP is being considered behind other better candidates like Claude Bassett and Gerry Dinardo. I will keep everyone posted.

9. Cupcake? lol
    3:06 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

NO game is a cupcake game for this UK team.

10. Cupcake? lol
    3:07 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Matt, UK’s “program” is one of the worst in the nation. There is no “ruining” it more than it already is.

11. zzzzzzZZZzzzzzZZZZzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………………….

12. Musehobo
    3:12 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Suck it Samford! You have a slightly lower 3rd down conversion percentage than us! So what if you lead every other category besides that!!!

13. Donny Berger
    3:15 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

#8) LOL

14. Common Sense
    3:24 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

What’s the point in comparing any of either team’s stats when one team has the toughest schedule in America and the other hasn’t even played a division 1 school yet? What a waste of bar graphs, lol.

15. Green Goodness
    3:29 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

#14 After Saturday Samford will still not have played a division 1 school so I say “Give me more bar graphs”!!!!

16. Papa D Nutts
    3:34 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

An SEC team that is only a 6 point favorite over a Southern Conference team “what a fu$k!ng embarrassment” and everyone is worried that if Booby P is hired he will leave our program in shambles in 4 years, “I think we are already there”

17. UKfansNKY
    3:44 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

OK, we all know how miserable our football team has been at least at this time the University has come to terms that Joker wasn’t getting it done as Head Coach and as we all know the search is on for a new Head Coach. I must admit when joker was hired as Head Coach I was sceptical and I’m sure we all were BUT deep down we ALL wanted to see him succeed after all he is a TRUE KENTUCKIAN THAT BLEEDS BLUE!! He hasn’t done all that bad on the recruiting trail while @ UK. So, here I go I’m calling out ALL THE TRUE BLUE KENTUCKY FANS to at least give Joke the respect and send off he and the SENIORS deserve. Yeah go ahead and call me crazy but what the hell I’m a TRUE KENTUCKY FAN and it doesn’t matter what sport the CATS are playing I BLEED BLUE so come on BBN lets show these Seniors and Joker some respect and lets FILL COMMONWEALTH STADIUM Saturday night and move on with a new GREAT Head Football Coach and turn this football program around next year!!!! GO CATS!!! PS….Should be a good night for Tailgating so lets Party!!

18. Musehobo
    3:46 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

16) Yes we suck, our record is the basement, but we, of all people, should know what shambles can be. We know if the wrong coach gets in, our whole team can evacuate. We know our team is actually more talented then they have played. We could have sanctions…we could have a whole heckuva lot more problems than just our record if we bring a program killer in.

How stupid do we all think Texas Tech was for hiring Billy G? We knew what they were in for. Arkansas and Louisville would say the same about Petrino. You all are going to cut off your nose to spite your face.

19. GoBlue
    3:59 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Do you know the difference between Division I-FCS and Division II? Samford is a D-1 school, just what used to be called Division 1-AA. They are eligible for the playoffs, not bowls, but they’re still D-1, and not Division II.

20. LeX
    4:59 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Lol, dont care.

21. Derp
    5:35 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

19. Yeah I’m pretty shocked it took until now for someone to point this out. Pretty egregious, and the difference between a Kentucky Wesleyan and an EKU.

22. STEVE!
    6:29 pm November 14, 2012 Permalink

Quite a wild assumption that the #1 FCS team is worse than the #124 FBS team. Anything to back that up? I think Appalachian State beat Michigan just a few years ago.

23. UKfansNKY
    8:27 am November 15, 2012 Permalink

Thanks # 23 I found them and was able to sell them to the opponents that came in to watch their teams and made a little $$$$. Let me know if next yrs. will be there!!