Stanley Williams opens up about picking Kentucky

BoomWilliams

The Courier-Journal’s Steve Jones talked to Stanley Williams about his commitment to UK yesterday, and the man they call Boom had nothing but great things to say about his future team. Williams said the “family atmosphere” at Kentucky was really appealing to him, along with the unparalleled support from the fan base:

I’ve never seen a fan base like Kentucky. It’s like no other. The fans are incredible, and they stick with the team through thick and thin. Kentucky has a great fan base, and I can’t wait to play in front of them and make some exciting plays.”

What does he think about “Yahtzee,” the staff’s code word for a commitment?

“It’s a great tradition. It’s something different that no one else does. Coach Stoops asked me how I was going to (announce the decision), I told him I was going to yell, ‘Yahtzee!” and the whole office just went crazy. I think it’s a great tradition, and we’re looking for some more of those. It’s a fun thing, a funny thing, and we’re going to get a bunch more Yahtzees.”

While Williams concedes that 2013 will be a “tough year” for the Cats, he predicts 2015 will be the breakout season for Stoops and company, in which they’ll WIN THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP and “possibly bring a national title back to Lexington.” Wow. I might need to go take a cold shower after that.

For more things that make you go “Boom,” be sure to go check out the interview in full.

[Stanley Williams thinks Kentucky will compete for SEC title in 2015]

17 Comments for Stanley Williams opens up about picking Kentucky

1. philstat
    1:13 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Folks, we got a real player in this guy – straight up soldier!

2. JT
    1:15 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I seriously got giddy just reading that interview, this may be one of my favorite players on UK football ever.

3. JRHop
    1:19 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Gotta agree with 2015 being our break out year, but winning an SEC championship is going to take some 5 stars.

4. franksnotra
    1:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

He sounds like a nice kid. “yes sir” – “no sir” – “I’ll wait to see what the coaches say”

I like the way the staff is recruiting high character players, unlike that other school in the state.

5. I Say
    1:22 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

So. Freaking. Pumped.

6. MCaron
    1:39 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Yoda is butthurt.

7. lol
    1:43 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Love uk’s football team, love this kid’s enthusiasm, but absolutely NO SHOT in winning a national title in 2015… alabama’s backups backups are 3, 4, 5 stars.. along with other elite teams in college football. UK is going to need a top 10-15 recruiting class at least 4 years in a row before they are serious contenders. Love where this is going though.

8. Hahahaha @ 4
    1:52 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

4….high character unlike that other school in the state? You can’t be serious…unless screen shooting a private conversation with another schools coach and multiple players openly trashing Louisville after their commitments is the golden standard. Can’t wait to see Petrino and WKU get your basketball conversations started again

9. Cold bleacher seats...
    1:55 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

“I’ve never seen a fan base like Kentucky. It’s like no other. The fans are incredible, and they stick with the team through thick and thin. Kentucky has a great fan base…”

I guess you didn’t pay the PPV fee to see me and all my shiny silver friends on television during the Vanderbilt game did you?

10. Jay
    2:07 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

8. I see nothing wrong with posting a screen shot that not only amps up the fan base, but also helps to solidify his commitment to the university. I have not seen players openly “trash” Louisville with the possible exception of them getting competitive. I haven’t seen one player post “Louisville sucks” or “dirty birds can go suck it,” or anything of that nature. I’m not saying that our recruits are angels and never do anything wrong, but I haven’t seen one of them pick up a UL hat and then replace it with a UK hat just to mess with the fans, yet.

While I think his title comment is a bit of a stretch, I do believe that I LOVE the ambition.

11. GP
    2:16 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s appropriate that we as fans have a sense of cautious optimism. We’ve been hurt too many times and aren’t sure if we can trust again.
    The players, on the other hand, can have as much reckless and wanton optimisim as they can handle. The more you believe something to be true, the more you work to making that goal a reality.
    I want all our kids tothink we can win the SEC in 2-3 years.

12. UKfanNKY
    2:24 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Gotta love this young MAN!!! I’m sooooo pumped for FOOTBALL TO START UP love the enthusiam of these new recruits nothing at all wrong with setting CHAMPIONSHIP goals!! GO CATS!!!

13. wildcats90
    3:16 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

You know you have people worried when you have opposing fans wasting their lives trolling our message boards. HATERS GON HATE!

14. Lil Bro Complex
    3:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Is there any way we can force a blood test to be rendered to prove that there is no Louisville in someone before they post in the comments section? They are so butthurt by every word ever spoken/typed that they have to troll Ky sites like this one and Sea of Blue and any other BBN site and to throw up gang signs and stir the pot. Dude probably has a closet full of flat bills and a chin strap beard too.

15. Tampa Satchel
    3:25 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Is it weird to get a chubby after reading that?

16. Logan
    4:01 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

@ 15: Is it half mast or full blown?

17. Tim
    4:13 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Let the cards fans get on here an post whatever they want. It just makes a uk site money